Wedding Party

Is a "Miniature Bride" a thing?

auriannaaurianna member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited August 2017 in Wedding Party
I sort of put my foot in my mouth in a mommy group I'm in.
Someone said their toddler daughter was a "miniature bride" in a wedding because the bride isn't having flower girls and wanted to know where to find a dress that small.

So I sort of said:

"lol. That isn't a thing.

And not only is it not a thing, it's a very creepy sounding not-a-thing.

Child brides. yikes.

Your cousin knows that a flower girl doesn't HAVE to drop petals and stuff right? She can just hold a flower or basket or fan or anything and still be a "flower girl" and not sound like some sort of sacrifice to a volcano god?"

She did not appreciate my unsolicited snark.
But now I'm wondering... IS it a thing? Maybe just not in my particular social circle?

Re: Is a "Miniature Bride" a thing?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    I have never seen it done, but I have heard of it.  It isn't a usual thing.  I don't think you should said such a judgmental thing, especially about a child participating in a wedding that isn't YOUR wedding.  You owe her an apology.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I only did because she seemed flustered at having to try to find a mini-wedding dress. So I interpreted that as her thinking it was weird too.

I told her I was sorry. I'm not saying she didn't have the right to be upset.
    I'm just curious if I didn't even have the right to think snark because maybe it's really a thing?
  • I have only heard of it through seeing references to it (never seen anyone actually doing it that I recall) on here. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    I've seen pictures of the FG dressed in a white dress of a very similar style to the bride, but I've actually never seen a "miniature bride". I also don't get it- what is the purpose? I do agree- totally unnecessary to try and find a dress that is going to match the bride's. And probably expensive for something a kid is going to wear once.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    I did get clarification that the dress doesn't have to match the bride.
    I guess "miniature bride" is what some people call a flower girl in a white dress??

• Supposedly it's a custom in some Caribbean and West Indian cultures. There is a miniature bride and groom, flower girls and ring bearers, etc. 

As for finding a dress, are First Communion dresses not miniature weddings dresses anymore?
  • Supposedly it's a custom in some Caribbean and West Indian cultures. There is a miniature bride and groom, flower girls and ring bearers, etc. 

As for finding a dress, are First Communion dresses not miniature weddings dresses anymore?
    I suggested Baptism dresses (she'll be 20 months).
    She got lots of suggestions so I think she's set now. :)
  • A 20 month old mini-bride?

O_o

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2017
    Miniture brides are usually girls who are considered too old to be a flower girl, but too young to be a bridesmaid.  About 10 is an average age.  I have NEVER heard of a "little bride" who was an infant!  Never!  (I worked with families from Jamaica and the Virgin Islands some years ago.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think miniature bride and grooms were also a tradition in Italian weddings. I have seen pictures of that but never witnessed it in person. 20 months is too young to be a FG or miniature bride IMO.
  • I think miniature bride and grooms were also a tradition in Italian weddings. I have seen pictures of that but never witnessed it in person. 20 months is too young to be a FG or miniature bride IMO.
    I've been to Italian weddings and have never seen this, it may be regional. Most of the Italians I know are Sicilian or Calebrese.
  • I was a miniature bride when I was about 6, and there was a miniature groom as well. It used to be pretty common in my area about 20-30 years ago, but I haven't been to a wedding with one in a long time.
  • This strikes me as incredibly odd/creepy. Child brides/grooms (even if pretend) dressed up by their parents to perform these roles seems inappropriate to me. 

And just.... WHY? Like whyyyyyyyy?
    *********************************************************************************

• I've seen in weddings where the flower girl had same dress as bride, but I don't think they were referred as "miniature bride" though
  • I've seen flower girl dresses that look bridal, but the girls wearing them were definitely not "miniature brides."  And they were old enough to get up and down the aisle on their own and knew enough about what was going on to understand their roles. 20-month olds can't do that.
    I've been to Italian weddings and have never seen this, it may be regional. Most of the Italians I know are Sicilian or Calebrese.
    The ones I have seen in pictures were actually in Italy - Sicily to be exact. They were also a while ago not recently.
    The ones I have seen in pictures were actually in Italy - Sicily to be exact. They were also a while ago not recently.
    I know that the first communions at the Italian and Spanish churches are very traditional with little girls dressed like little brides, but I've never seen them at weddings. The flower girls are distinctly flower girls.
  • I've seen in weddings where the flower girl had same dress as bride, but I don't think they were referred as "miniature bride" though

This is what I was thinking of.  I went to David's Bridal with a friend...probably about 15 years ago...and there were a bunch of dresses that had mini versions for a flower girl.

Like, exactly the same dress.  Unless the gown was strapless, than the "mini" version would have straps or a more full top part.

When I went to David's for my own wedding about 4 years ago, I didn't see any of that.  Perhaps it was a late '90s-early '00s fad?

It does seem a bit heavy on the "prop" side.  To say the least, lol.  Like the flower girl is supposed to be this walking "doll" version of the bride. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is what I was thinking of.  I went to David's Bridal with a friend...probably about 15 years ago...and there were a bunch of dresses that had mini versions for a flower girl.

Like, exactly the same dress.  Unless the gown was strapless, than the "mini" version would have straps or a more full top part.

When I went to David's for my own wedding about 4 years ago, I didn't see any of that.  Perhaps it was a late '90s-early '00s fad?

It does seem a bit heavy on the "prop" side.  To say the least, lol.  Like the flower girl is supposed to be this walking "doll" version of the bride. 

Funny you should say that. The one I saw that was a "mini bride" dress was strapless also. It didn't sit as low on the child - higher cut - but was still strapless. It was really pretty actually, I was surprised.
  • OMG I just had an acquaintance get married who did this! Her daughter is about...12ish (early middle school) and had a dress almost exactly like her mom's. It was hella creepy. She posted all kinds of pictures on Facebook with her "twin." I don't know where they found the dresses, but her daughter is pretty tall so she may have fit into a smaller bridesmaid dress?

OP, if you used that exact wording I can see why it came off a little harsh, but my default reaction would have been something smart-mouthy too, because yikes.
  • I see the girls with bride-ish white dresses and veils for First Communion all the time.  Our church actually had to institute a rule of no hoop-skirts because it took up too much room in the pew.  (Yes, it got to the point where they had to explicitly say that).  I remember I didn't have a veil for my first communion and I felt a bit left out.  This was at a predominately white, middle class suburban area of Houston in the mid-80s.

Re: mini-brides.  I've seen one only once.  It was a wedding here in Houston and was maybe 12-13 years ago.  I don't recall where the couple's family was from; they were just Houstonians.  I thought it was a little odd, too.  But then again, this wedding was quite over the top.  She had 15 or so bridesmaids, so it seemed like everyone had a part.
  • ei34ei34 member
    I hadn't heard the term "miniature bride" or seen one until this post.  I see FG in bride-like dresses pretty often though, and First Communion dresses are very bride-like too.