Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2017 in Wedding Woes
I'm so ready for the weekend.  Going OOT is fun, but I've felt behind the 8 ball all week with everything.  

Between DH's new job jitters and the fact that his new phone came yesterday, he was in a mood last night.  You'd think I asked him to scale a mountain when I asked him to finish homework with DefConn last night.  It was that or clean up the messy-ass kitchen (which I kindly *heh* pointed out to him). 

Other than that, SSDD.  At least it feels like Prudie came early this week.  ;) 

Re: Thursday

• Options

I got home from yoga last night and DD was on Hs last nerve, poor guy.  So I took over baby so H could cook dinner (I gave him the option).  So I grab DD and sit down and H is just watching TV still.  So I'm sitting there and look back over and he dozed off.  He has been worked hard at work the last two days, poor guy!  So I got up to make dinner.  I put DD in her high chair seat and gave her a Mum Mum to nibble on while I got dinner started. 

It was some tots and peanut butter/banana sandwiches on the griddle.  First, the bread I had bought on Friday was already moldy.  I barely got 4 unmolded slices from the 12-16 left in the loaf!  I'm trying to feed DD left over mashed banana and while doing that the sandwiches burned.  I got the one off the griddle and then the other one fell off my spatula and onto the floor.  So it wasn't either of our nights last night!

DD was able to chill till 8 PM though, without going crazy on us.  So that was a plus!  After that is was just relaxing and catching up on a show before it premieres later this month.

Tonight I will take DD for a little shopping at Target and BJs. She needs more formula and other food stuff.  Let H stay at home and do his thing baby free!

• Options
    banana468 said:

I'm watching the current hurricane paths.   We have family and friends in Florida and I know they're in the middle of prep mode.     One family friend lives on the Gulf coast in a mobile home park and also has a camper.   They're not holding out a lot of hope for their stuff to survive the weekend and my heart goes out to them.
    my grandparents are inland but in a mobile home park and I worry about them. My grandpa is stubborn and won't go to a safe place and grandma won't go without him so I worry about them. 
  • Options
    yes. So scary about Irma.  I heard it may hit all of Florida.  I also read that the governor of Florida just announced that all hotels in Southern Florida are to waive pet policies.  But I don't get it....shouldn't the surrounding states do that?

@banana468 - I love hearing about fall/winter stuff. So early to purchase those though! that's crazy that they sell out that quick. I love October/November and December. I think Chicago does something like this, but i never looked into it.

• Options
    yes. So scary about Irma.  I heard it may hit all of Florida.  I also read that the governor of Florida just announced that all hotels in Southern Florida are to waive pet policies.  But I don't get it....shouldn't the surrounding states do that?

@banana468 - I love hearing about fall/winter stuff. So early to purchase those though! that's crazy that they sell out that quick. I love October/November and December. I think Chicago does something like this, but i never looked into it.
    I think the issue is that the surrounding states haven't declared states of emergency yet.  If surrounding states are in a declared state of emergency then the rule about pets would apply to the hotels in their states too.     

The tickets for this train ride go on sale this week and will probably sell out by the end of the week.   It's crazy that they do it so early but it's just something that I put on my calendar and plan for yearly now. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    banana468 said:

I think the issue is that the surrounding states haven't declared states of emergency yet.  If surrounding states are in a declared state of emergency then the rule about pets would apply to the hotels in their states too.     

The tickets for this train ride go on sale this week and will probably sell out by the end of the week.   It's crazy that they do it so early but it's just something that I put on my calendar and plan for yearly now. 
    yeah, but I always figured the Florida residents would seek hotels in the surrounding states, and of course would bring their animals with them.

edit: one couple I know who live in Orlando, have already booked hotels in Tennessee, but are waiting to see if and when they should go.

• Options
    My brother's Godmother lives on the Gulf Coast.  She's also a hospice nurse.   As awful as it sounds, she also needs to stay close because she needs to be able to get back to her job to attend to the patients that aren't leaving.   So they are in a hotel that's off the immediate coast but close enough that she can find a way to get to work.  

• Options

@banana468, when I read your first sentence about buying a train ticket to the North Pole, I was initially thinking you meant the real North Pole and was like, "Wow! That's a once-in-a-lifetime trip!  But wait, I can't imagine how they can have trains to the North Pole."  Obviously, I'm not a morning person, lol.

banana468 said:

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure there was some kind of Federal (?) law passed after Katrina that motels/hotels had to allow pets for any guest coming from an evacuated area.  If an establishment wanted to push it, they could require the guest show an ID with an address for an affected area.  The same is also true for shelters.

There was an evacuation ordered for NOLA two years after Katrina for another hurricane.  The changes about pets was widespread news at the time and it didn't just apply to Louisiana hotels.  The thought behind it is there were a lot of people in LA and MS who stayed behind and put themselves in danger...because they couldn't take their pets with them to a shelter or most hotels.  There were even people in the aftermath...on their roofs or knee deep in flood waters...who refused to be rescued because they'd have to leave their pet(s) behind to die. 

However, the area a person is coming from has to have already had an official evacuation order.  For example, although that is probably a certainty for Miami, I don't think one has been called yet.

Not that I normally approve of people lying and "gaming the system".  But a person could also just claim their pet is an emotional support animal and hotels/motels have to accept them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm trying to catch up on all the posts, have had a crazy week.
    Last week I finally got to go to MI, (home state) for the first time in 9 years! Had a really good time with family and even squeezed in 2 meals with friends I hadn't seen in years (one of them since Jr year of HS when I moved) I'm old so that was 34 years ago! Luckly we have FB, but its crazy to catch up after that long.

We had to rush home a day early because I got a call from the nursing home that H's grandmother had a heart attack and not expected to make it through the night. We were 2 hours north of my mom's so had to rush there, then drive all night home to TN. That was on Tues. and she lived until this monday. She was 94 and tough as nails. Rest of this week has been funeral.

Between her and my own grandparents I have been caretaker for 8 years now (that was why no trips to MI for so long). I think I can finally take a break now.

Funeral yesterday was a small but nice event. She outlived all her family except grandkids. Not many make it to 94. The stories told were funny - she was always known to be wild, cuss like a sailor, wouldn't let anybody call her mom/grandma. She mumbled a lot since the heart attack but the only thing I understood was Sunday night, nurse was trying to clean her up and she yelled OH SHIT so loud you could hear her down the hall, she never changed, lol. More than one nurse was hit in the year she lived in the nursing home.

• Options
    Conference calls, tons of work, people are stressed about a later conference call; so I'm so so ready for the weekend. I know I always say it but short work weeks always seem longer and more chaotic to me. 

Super excited for football tonight!
  • Options
    @pegasuskat, I'm sorry to hear about your H's grandma!  Sounds like she lived a long, good life and on her own terms.  We should all be so lucky.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Im sorry pkat. It sounds like she had a good life. 

Not much here. Preschool finally started so I can get a bit of a groove going. 
  • Options
    @pegasuskat, sorry to hear about grandma. But it sounds like she did live a wonderful life and didn't take it for granted.

• Options

Pegasuskat - Sorry to hear about grandma, but it sounds like she lived life to the fullest!  Glad that you were able to visit MI and see old friends.

Prayers to everyone's family and friends in the path of Irma. 

• Options
    @short+sassy I thought the exact same thing about the train to the North Pole
  • Options
    When do you put in your notice @kimmiinthemitten? Not soon enough from the sounds of it. 

If you don't mind food related toys, Charlie likes the kongs he was to work to get treats out of; or the Tuffy toys have have squeakers in them but are super durable. 
  • Options
    When do you put in your notice @kimmiinthemitten? Not soon enough from the sounds of it. 

If you don't mind food related toys, Charlie likes the kongs he was to work to get treats out of; or the Tuffy toys have have squeakers in them but are super durable. 
    The 25th.  My trip next week was cancelled so that's no longer a thing to worry about, but yeah, my DGAF level regarding the boss is hitting an all time high.

She destroys that disk in minutes!  It worked like a charm the first time.  I'll have to look for the Tuffy toys, thanks!
  • Options
    Hopefully tonight's dinner will go smoother @OliveOilsMom :)

congrats on the tickets @banana468 sounds like a lot of fun!

Sorry about your Grandma @pegasuskat  she sounds awesome. <3

My day has been nice. DH and I had a 2 for 1 coupon for the spa at the hotel down the road for a couples massage. Steam room, pool, jacuzzi, all that was included but I didn't know that and didn't bring my suit. Next time. ;)

We had a tough conversation last night because I was invited to go to the bar with my trainer, which after my terribly embarrassing lesson I had no plans of going, but it made DH jealous/ uncomfortable/ whatever. I am a social person, I need more, new people in my life. I like my friends here a lot but I am so tired of everyone I know knowing everyone else I know. If I start to tell A about what I did last week, they will often say 'oh yeah, C told me about that.' Not the end of the world but annoying to me. To make matters worse, DH has decided to quit/ take a break from alcohol, which I fully support but makes him want to go out less than his homebody ass already does. DH and I haven't really figured out a solution yet but we have tickets to a modern theatre/ hip hop thing tomorrow (I booked them weeks ago and DH has no idea what he is getting himself into, hehe) and we are going to meet up with people downtown afterwards. Monday, we are going to a beginners salsa lesson and I am really looking forward to that.

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, @pegasuskat

@kimmiinthemitten, Hiccup loved these. Don't let Rosie chew on the StarMark, though.  Hiccup figured out how to unscrew the top, the brat. I think the Bob-a-Lot is more fun, and it's less likely to roll under something and get stuck. 

https://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Bob-Lot-Interactive-Large/dp/B001JQLNB4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1504804660&sr=1-1&keywords=starmark

https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Tricky-Treat-Large/dp/B0002DK26M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504804724&sr=8-1&keywords=omega+paw+tricky+treat+ball

We're starting our Irma preps.  Picked up a lot of water, gassed up the truck so I can take it in on Monday, etc.  DH is planning to stay home Monday with the pups, but since I'm considered essential personnel, I'll be expected to report Monday if possible, so I invested a large portion of my "fun money" in a durable raincoat and now I'm pissed.  The longer I work in the field, the more I hate whoever designs 99% of women's clothing. Sure, that raincoat is super cute, but it won't cover my ass and I really don't want to prance around with a wet ass all day. Also POCKETS!!!!!

I don't think we're expected to get more than tropical weather, but most of the latest spaghetti models have the storm passing literally right over our house, so we're preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.  I have a few friends in FL I'm still trying to convince to GTFO, and I'm about done trying to reason with them.  My BFF's mom couldn't get out of the Bahamas, so I'm really worried about her.

In other news, I'm so stoked for football, I may die from anticipation.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

I was reading an article a couple nights ago that there are very few ways to go north in FL.  My H and I sagely nodded because there are so many lakes, rivers, and swamps in SE Louisiana that there are very few ways to get out of this area also.

Our evacuation strategy for storms is to leave very late at night (10PMish), so we are doing most of the driving in the middle of the night.  It will still be stop and go traffic for hours, but will at least be eased up from the day.  And you're getting a jump on the mob of people who will be heading out in the morning.  We also go east, when the majority go west.  But, alas, that seems like a moot point for FL at the moment.

I can't help myself, I have to share a little known "saving grace" for Katrina when it came to evacuating for it.  A few years before Katrina hit, there had been an evacuation called for a hurricane approaching.  Evacuating is always a nightmare but, this particular one formed more quickly than normal and there were way more people trying to get out at the same time.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  We had friends who sat on the freeway for 8 hours...and never even left the next town over (less than 10 miles).  They finally had no choice but to turn around, go back home, and hope for the best.  LOTS of people did that.  Fortunately, the storm ended up being NBD.  But it was a major, scary wake-up call.  That storm turned out to be a BLESSING in disguise for Katrina.

Officials figured out and put in plans for "contra flow" for future evacuations.  Contra flow meaning that, when enacted, ALL freeway lanes would lead out of town.  Katrina was the first evacuation they tried out this contra flow plan and it worked!  Don't get me wrong, it still took people 8-12 hours to go 100 miles, but they could get out.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that hundreds, if not thousands, more people would have died in Katrina if it had not been for the contra flow.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I was reading an article a couple nights ago that there are very few ways to go north in FL.  My H and I sagely nodded because there are so many lakes, rivers, and swamps in SE Louisiana that there are very few ways to get out of this area also.

Our evacuation strategy for storms is to leave very late at night (10PMish), so we are doing most of the driving in the middle of the night.  It will still be stop and go traffic for hours, but will at least be eased up from the day.  And you're getting a jump on the mob of people who will be heading out in the morning.  We also go east, when the majority go west.  But, alas, that seems like a moot point for FL at the moment.

I can't help myself, I have to share a little known "saving grace" for Katrina when it came to evacuating for it.  A few years before Katrina hit, there had been an evacuation called for a hurricane approaching.  Evacuating is always a nightmare but, this particular one formed more quickly than normal and there were way more people trying to get out at the same time.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  We had friends who sat on the freeway for 8 hours...and never even left the next town over (less than 10 miles).  They finally had no choice but to turn around, go back home, and hope for the best.  LOTS of people did that.  Fortunately, the storm ended up being NBD.  But it was a major, scary wake-up call.  That storm turned out to be a BLESSING in disguise for Katrina.

Officials figured out and put in plans for "contra flow" for future evacuations.  Contra flow meaning that, when enacted, ALL freeway lanes would lead out of town.  Katrina was the first evacuation they tried out this contra flow plan and it worked!  Don't get me wrong, it still took people 8-12 hours to go 100 miles, but they could get out.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that hundreds, if not thousands, more people would have died in Katrina if it had not been for the contra flow.

H and I were wondering last night why they didn't do this in the Keys?  Can you imagine being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 120 miles of bridge?  I'm not even scared of bridges normally, but nope!

Also, sorry about your gram @pegasuskat.  I'm glad you enjoyed your trip back here, whereabouts are you from?
  • Options
    I didn't even think about being stuck on the keys bridges - Nope nope nopeity nope nope nope.  Or what about some of those in Tampa. My dad doesn't like bridges and there is one in Tampa he refuses to drive on if he's on airport duty while they are snowbirding in FL. 
  • Options

woo hoo. I just got a 2nd wind.   After falling asleep at my desk.

@OurWildKingdom, can your FW give pointers to my H?  I seem to do all the initiating too!  Congrats on getting the hotel nights.  That's a nice little savings since hotels are pretty costly!
    the 25th is around the corner @kimmiinthemitten!  You got this.

• Options
    pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited September 2017

H and I were wondering last night why they didn't do this in the Keys?  Can you imagine being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 120 miles of bridge?  I'm not even scared of bridges normally, but nope!

Also, sorry about your gram @pegasuskat.  I'm glad you enjoyed your trip back here, whereabouts are you from?
    I was born in Detroit and went to school there through 2nd Grade, then moved to Comstock Park. That's where my mom still lives.
  • Options
    @pegasuskat too bad it was too cold for some good Lake Michigan action that weekend!  

@kvruns I was on the phone with my sister when she was on the bridge connecting Clearwater to Tampa (just outside of the airport). I personally love that bridge but have never been stuck in a traffic jam there. Today it wasn't so bad. I have a feeling tomorrow won't be so easy.