Wedding Woes

How did this Dear Purdie get missed?

My 27-year-old daughter and her best friend, Katie, have been best friends since they were 4. Katie practically grew up in our house and is like a daughter to me. My daughter recently got engaged to her fiancé and announced that Katie would be the maid of honor (Katie’s boyfriend is also a good friend of my future son-in-law). The problem is that Katie walks with a pretty severe limp due to a birth defect (not an underlying medical issue). She has no problem wearing high heels and has already been fitted for the dress, but I still think it will look unsightly if she’s in the wedding procession limping ahead of my daughter. I mentioned this to my daughter and suggested that maybe Katie could take video or hand out programs (while sitting) so she doesn’t ruin the aesthetic aspect of the wedding. My daughter is no longer speaking to me (we were never that close), but this is her big wedding and I want it to be perfect. All of the other bridesmaids will look gorgeous walking down the aisle with my daughter. Is it wrong to have her friend sit out?

Re: How did this Dear Purdie get missed?

• I just read that earlier today and was going to post it. Mom sounds absolutely awful.
  • I want to kick that mom in the shins.

I wouldn't speak to her either.
  • Ho. Lee. Fucking. Shit. This is a horrible example of humanity. 
  • She deserves a life where her family doesn't talk to her. 
  • I saw that in the chat the other day and was going to post it but never got around to it. 

Yay for the daughter.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    What a terrible person. Please tell me Prudie ripped her a new one.

eta spelling 
  • eileenrob said:
    What a terrible person. Please tell me Prudie ripped her a new one.

eta spelling 
    I want to read Prudie's response.
  • My first thought was that this was MUD.  Momma can't really be serious, is she??

• So sad the mother's vision of a perfect wedding is more important than a best friend being an important part of the wedding. WTF is wrong with people! Kudos to daughter for standing up to her mom.

• Like anybody actually watches the wedding video anyway, especially the procession of the fucking bridesmaids...
  • My daughter broke her foot 8 weeks before her own wedding.  I guess this woman would have expected us to cancel the wedding.

• I saw this article on fb and some of the comments were great. Someone posted that ALL the bridesmaids should now walk down the aisle with a limp. 

• It's always weird seeing your name in Prudie letters :|

Also .... LW is a bitch.

Side note: I don't have a limp, so I can confirm this is not me. If I did, I would rock that shit like an old school pimp ;)
  • My 27-year-old daughter and her best friend, Katie, have been best friends since they were 4. Katie practically grew up in our house and is like a daughter to me. My daughter recently got engaged to her fiancé and announced that Katie would be the maid of honor (Katie’s boyfriend is also a good friend of my future son-in-law). The problem is that Katie walks with a pretty severe limp due to a birth defect (not an underlying medical issue). She has no problem wearing high heels and has already been fitted for the dress, but I still think it will look unsightly if she’s in the wedding procession limping ahead of my daughter. I mentioned this to my daughter and suggested that maybe Katie could take video or hand out programs (while sitting) so she doesn’t ruin the aesthetic aspect of the wedding. My daughter is no longer speaking to me (we were never that close), but this is her big wedding and I want it to be perfect. All of the other bridesmaids will look gorgeous walking down the aisle with my daughter. Is it wrong to have her friend sit out?

Interesting.  How is it "perfect" for the LW's daughter's best friend from the age of 4...like a sister to her... to not be standing up with her at the wedding?  How is it perfect to completely destroy or very seriously damage the life-long friendship between these two families?

Not to mention, this LW needs to get her expectations in check STAT, if she wants every detail "perfect".  This isn't a Hollywood production where 58 takes can be done to get each scene JUST right.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am kind of disappointed that Prudie didn't flip out on LW more.