Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Number of cupcakes if they're the only dessert?

My fiancé and I are getting married soon, and need a bit of advice as to how many standard-size cupcakes we should order for our guests.

We're expecting about 110 people, and will be serving drinks and heavy hors d'oeuvres at the reception.  There will be no other desserts, as neither one of us are really into sweets.

All of the places we've seen suggest anywhere from 1 to 2 cupcakes a person (or a fraction thereof).  We're going for 3 flavors (2 "boozy" and 1 "sober"): a chocolate+coffee, salted caramel, and a candied ginger+spice.

When I say boozy, I mean that there is alcohol soaked into both the cupcakes and the frosting after they're baked -- so the liquor stays in the dessert, rather than evaporating in the oven.  I'd probably estimate maybe a 1/2 shot of liquor per cupcake.

No worries about children getting their hands on them, since this is specifically a 21+ affair.

Thanks!

Re: Number of cupcakes if they're the only dessert?

• My fiancé and I are getting married soon, and need a bit of advice as to how many standard-size cupcakes we should order for our guests.

We're expecting about 110 people, and will be serving drinks and heavy hors d'oeuvres at the reception.  There will be no other desserts, as neither one of us are really into sweets.

All of the places we've seen suggest anywhere from 1 to 2 cupcakes a person (or a fraction thereof).  We're going for 3 flavors (2 "boozy" and 1 "sober"): a chocolate+coffee, salted caramel, and a candied ginger+spice.

When I say boozy, I mean that there is alcohol soaked into both the cupcakes and the frosting after they're baked -- so the liquor stays in the dessert, rather than evaporating in the oven.  I'd probably estimate maybe a 1/2 shot of liquor per cupcake.

No worries about children getting their hands on them, since this is specifically a 21+ affair.

Thanks!

I would go with 2 cupcakes per person and have 1 boozy and 1 non-boozy per person. I'm a big fan of booze ... but not in food. I wouldn't touch the boozy choice. Even with a 21+ wedding, you may still have people that are not doing booze (taking a break, non-drinkers, pregnant, don't like booze in food etc). Make sure to clearly label that they are boozy so someone doesn't take unexpectedly.

Which ones are boozy and which ones aren't? I would personally do 2 flavours that are not boozy (think one vanilla base and one chocolate) and one that is boozy. I think 2 boozy choices = too much. You may also want to plan on 1 of each of the non-boozy choice so that everyone can pick their favourite base.

Add on - I went to a wedding last weekend and the cupcake flavours were so weird that they were barely touched. All the handpies, tarts and individual chocolates went and there were plates and plates of cupcakes left.

• ernursej said:
    My fiancé and I are getting married soon, and need a bit of advice as to how many standard-size cupcakes we should order for our guests.

Thanks!

I would go with 2 cupcakes per person and have 1 boozy and 1 non-boozy per person. I'm a big fan of booze ... but not in food. I wouldn't touch the boozy choice. Even with a 21+ wedding, you may still have people that are not doing booze (taking a break, non-drinkers, pregnant, don't like booze in food etc). Make sure to clearly label that they are boozy so someone doesn't take unexpectedly.

Which ones are boozy and which ones aren't? I would personally do 2 flavours that are not boozy (think one vanilla base and one chocolate) and one that is boozy. I think 2 boozy choices = too much. You may also want to plan on 1 of each of the non-boozy choice so that everyone can pick their favourite base.

Add on - I went to a wedding last weekend and the cupcake flavours were so weird that they were barely touched. All the handpies, tarts and individual chocolates went and there were plates and plates of cupcakes left.

Just for variety, I hold the complete opposite opinion on the boozy/non-boozy question and think 2 boozy one non is perfect. I'd go for 60 of each kind. 
  • flavors:
    Guinness chocolate cupcake infused with Jameson, Van Gogh Espresso Vodka fudge frosting

Vanilla cake infused with Bulleit Bourbon, filled with salted Bulleit caramel sauce, salted Bulleit bourbon caramel buttercream

Vegan pumpkin spice cupcake studded with chunks of crystallized ginger, infused with Capitan Morgan Spiced Rum, Smirnoff vanilla vodka frosting (this one is being made without alcohol)

===============

a good chunk of the guests (myself included) work in the bar industry and are very familiar with these bakers' confections (she actually supplies a number of local bars/clubs) with her cupcakes to sell.  They always seem to go over well with folks.
  • wufpup said:
    flavors:
    Guinness chocolate cupcake infused with Jameson, Van Gogh Espresso Vodka fudge frosting

Vanilla cake infused with Bulleit Bourbon, filled with salted Bulleit caramel sauce, salted Bulleit bourbon caramel buttercream

Vegan pumpkin spice cupcake studded with chunks of crystallized ginger, infused with Capitan Morgan Spiced Rum, Smirnoff vanilla vodka frosting (this one is being made without alcohol)

===============

a good chunk of the guests (myself included) work in the bar industry and are very familiar with these bakers' confections (she actually supplies a number of local bars/clubs) with her cupcakes to sell.  They always seem to go over well with folks.

I would be a no go for any of those cupcakes. I know you are saying your pumpkin one is alcohol free, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

I guess it is a know your crowd thing and if your crowd is good, go ahead. I would still encourage one 'normal' and not boozy flavour for some of your less adventurous guests.

• I HIGHLY encourage you NOT to go "Boozy" with your dessert - REALLY!  I get that a number of your guests are in the bar industry, I worked as a bartender for years as part of my job and am still a teetotaler, but if you're going with these I'd recommend a secondary dessert that is not related to the cupcakes nor alcohol infusion and CLEARLY marking this.  For those moderating their alcohol intake, this is just asking for trouble.  For those who are in sobriety you're risking their sobriety unless these are served buffet style with clear signage to say "these are alcohol infused" (yes, I know people who made their living as a bartender and sobered up while working that career).  This is what we'd typically refer to as a "Polarizing food" - people will either love it or hate it, so the standard recommendation of 2-2.5 cupcakes/guest for multiple flavor options" won't apply.  It's like putting Steak, Ostrich, and Gator as your meal choices then complaining that no one chooses the Ostrich or Gator.  Even if people are familiar they're still less likely to choose those options.  
  • I would go with one boozy and one non per person at least.  A lot of people may try multiple flavors especially if they are all out on a table and not being passed.  I would give the more thorough description next to each flavor so people will know what has alcohol in it.  You can always order high and grab some to go boxes so people can take the extras with them.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2017
    wufpup said:
    flavors:

===============

If you know your crowd, great. I wouldn't eat any of these. I'm not drinking alcohol because I'm breastfeeding. If I saw "pumpkin spice," or really any kind of spice, on the label, I'd take a hard pass. If I saw it was the only one available to me, I'd maybe take one, eat a couple nibbles and throw away the rest. 

If I wasn't breastfeeding, I'd still only have one option. I absolutely hate hate hate coffee and, again, hard pass on the pumpkin spice. The vanilla caramel sounds really good ... if I wasn't breastfeeding. 

I'm not a big drinker even when not pregnant/breastfeeding, so I'd prefer them with no alcohol. 
  • As a diabetic with no sugar-free options offered, I'd be skipping dessert.
  • Jen4948 said:
    As a diabetic with no sugar-free options offered, I'd be skipping dessert.
    Do you expect a sugar-free option? If all a couple served was a traditional wedding cake would that be an issue?
  • After reading all of the comments, boozy is starting to look like it's not a word lol.

We also had cupcakes for our only dessert, and we had 3 flavors. The bakery suggested 1.5 per person, and we had 130ish guests IIRC. That put us at about 200 cupcakes, split evenly between 3 flavors. We had one chocolate base (chocolate peanut butter), strawberry & one vanilla base (with lemon filling and lemon frosting). The bakery we went with suggested to not get tooo crazy with flavors, because most people do like to try them but they don't always go over well in a group. 

Are your cupcakes going to be clearly labeled which ones have alcohol in them? Even if everyone is 21+, like others have mentioned, that doesn't mean they drink. I also (personally) don't like cakes that are soaked in alcohol because I feel like it changes the texture, but that's definitely a know your crowd thing. The flavors you chose are also kind of polarizing. Coffee is one of those things that people either love or hate, and same with pumpkin spice/ginger.

As far as numbers, I would plan 1 boozy and 1 regular for each person. Would it be possible for your bakery to do half boozy and half regular, for all 3 flavors? You might have extras left over, but if you can send them home with guests if you don't want them all, or most cupcakes freeze pretty well.
    Love this idea!