Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wedding cake design

Hi All, has anyone had any issues with designing their wedding cake? It was as such a hassle for us...!  We are now actually thinking of doing a wedding cake app. Just wondering if there would be any interest in that...? We created a little survey (less than 5 min) to find out what people think. Please have a look and let me know what you think! Thank you so much for your help! :smile: https://goo.gl/forms/16SrtDZPEIm3tFjK2

Re: Wedding cake design

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hi All, has anyone had any issues with designing their wedding cake? It was as such a hassle for us...!  We are now actually thinking of doing a wedding cake app. Just wondering if there would be any interest in that...? We created a little survey (less than 5 min) to find out what people think. Please have a look and let me know what you think! Thank you so much for your help! :smile: https://goo.gl/forms/16SrtDZPEIm3tFjK2
    Comes off almost as vendor-y.
    But no, H and I just went into the bakery that our venue worked with on the day of our cake consultation (about 6 weeks before our wedding) and the head baker took us through all of the options (what they could do, photos of what they'd done).  The opposite of a hassle for us- it was probably the best part of planning.  (I should mention that cake tasting was a part of this :) )
  • Yeah, I second this as vendor-y.  OP, be sure to check the TOS before you post anything else!  We had cupcakes, which my MIL ordered through an acquaintance of hers.  They had an out-of-house bakery I believe (read: No storefront yet), and they were willing to do anything we wanted, offering some suggestions of their best ones as well.  They made us 3 kinds: Lemon blueberry, Heath bar, and chocolate, plus a mini-cake in chocolate for us to cut (same as what the guests were eating, just big enough so we didn't have to cut a cupcake in half).  
    I feel like most brides and grooms go to a baker, and the baker goes over cake design with them, or they find a picture online and ask the baker if they can replicate it.  I'm not sure what you'd be accomplishing in an app that an actual baker wouldn't be doing anyway.  And if someone were to make their own wedding cake, they probably already know what they're doing, so again, an app would be pointless.  
  • Thank you so much both @eileenrob and @missfrodo - this is very helpful! For us,it was just going back and forth with different ideas so now after the wedding we thought about this app, but it sounds that perhaps people actually may be approaching it in a different way....
    With the app @missfrodo, we actually thought about consulting bakers first so they are able to produce the cake as per the app, perhaps we could do a list of recommended bakers or something like that? But maybe there is no actual need in the market for such an app.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts anyway, despite suspecting vendor-y vibes, haha. I'm actually not selling anything. We just thought that making an anonymous survey like that is a better way to find out what people think rather than just asking friends because friends have been very supportive but that doesn't actually mean the app is such an awesome idea....;)  
    but I love the idea of cake tasting while cake planning;) @eileenrob
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2017
    CMGragain said:
    Most guests don't really care what your cake looks like.  They do care if it tastes good.
    1) Addressing the OP - that app/program already exists..  It's called "Wedding Cake Design Pro"..
    2) CMG nails it - No one gives a rip what the cake looks like as long as the taste is amazing and worth every single solitary calorie.  
    3) This is why you're paying a cake artist to make your cake.  Trust me when I say they love the types of orders that they can do no wrong and use their creative talents on with an appropriate budget to match.  I have Cake Societe' friends who when I order a cake I say "Here's the budget, here's how many I need it to serve, here are the details about the event/person, make it delicious, now go have fun!"...  If you're having that many issues coming up with an idea, all you need to start with a baker is your approximate budget and your wedding date, this is what you're paying the baker to do for you!
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2017
    I did start your survey but it made no sense so had to give up.  E.g. I would spend £0 on a wedding cake design app but this option is not there.  Other questions were confusing and there seemed no reason why they were being asked.  Sorry!

I have no idea why anyone would need an app to plan their cake, and I say this as someone who had a tech cake!

Sorry OP, I think you need to go back to the drawing board with the survey and maybe test it on friends first?  
  • Also, just to add, apps are good when there are specific perimeters, e.g. location or price, to search for.  A dream wedding cake design is more creative and emotional.  Pinterest is far better for this sort of thing.  Hope this made sense?  
  • I did start your survey but it made no sense so had to give up.  E.g. I would spend £0 on a wedding cake design app but this option is not there.  Other questions were confusing and there seemed no reason why they were being asked.  Sorry!

I have no idea why anyone would need an app to plan their cake, and I say this as someone who had a tech cake!

Sorry OP, I think you need to go back to the drawing board with the survey and maybe test it on friends first?  
    Agreed. I wouldn't pay anything for such an app, but no option for that so I ended up putting the $1-$3 because it was lowest. Similarly with the "how much time would you spend researching cakes?" option. There was no option for no time. My cake was in the hands of my mom. She gave me a binder and told me to pick flavors. I didn't care what the cake looked like. Simple decorations, not too expensive, tastes good. I didn't need certain designs or whatever implemented. It's a wedding cake, anything would look good. 
  • Simple weeding cake is perfect.  ;););););););););)   And another one truth is most of the time couples had no time to eat enough cake. They simple feed them each other just for formality. So my choice is always simple cake is better than more designed and costly cakes.
    [Removed for ToS violation] for my daily food diets :p
  • cindylover711cindylover711 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2017
    Families and friends don't care too much about the design of the cake. The point is that the cake has a good taste, rather than what it looks like.  :p

• If you are bothered by it, just go with the sample ones. I think those samples look good enough to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards