Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Celebration of Love

My husband and I got eloped and never did a wedding. We understand that it would not make sense to have one, now that we are married. However, we would still like to have a sort of celebration for our marriage. (We had to go without the wedding due to certain situations that will be left unsaid.) Neither of our families were there with us, we had two people for our witnesses and that is it. We want to do something small so we can not only celebrate us getting married, but also have our families together as they would be in an actual wedding.
    We thought of doing a pot luck type of thing. The attire would be Sunday best, so there isn't a huge wedding gown, or the maids or grooms men.
We will have music and a couples dance with some karaoke. A "Battle of the sex's" sort of game "Family Bingo." We are thinking of doing a toast with speeches but haven't made our mind up on that yet.

Is there anything else we should do? I want it to last a good amount of time. How should we word the invitations? Any ideas? Thoughts? Please help us!! (NO NEGATIVITY PLEASE. I see a lot of people bashing others for getting eloped and not having a wedding till later on. REMEMBER THIS IS NOT A WEDDING!) 

Also, not many people knew of us getting married some of them are a little hurt that we didn't tell them about it until after wards.

Re: Celebration of Love

• Options
    My husband and I got eloped and never did a wedding. We understand that it would not make sense to have one, now that we are married. However, we would still like to have a sort of celebration for our marriage. (We had to go without the wedding due to certain situations that will be left unsaid.) Neither of our families were there with us, we had two people for our witnesses and that is it. We want to do something small so we can not only celebrate us getting married, but also have our families together as they would be in an actual wedding.
        We thought of doing a pot luck type of thing. The attire would be Sunday best, so there isn't a huge wedding gown, or the maids or grooms men.
    We will have music and a couples dance with some karaoke. A "Battle of the sex's" sort of game "Family Bingo." We are thinking of doing a toast with speeches but haven't made our mind up on that yet.

Is there anything else we should do? I want it to last a good amount of time. How should we word the invitations? Any ideas? Thoughts? Please help us!! (NO NEGATIVITY PLEASE. I see a lot of people bashing others for getting eloped and not having a wedding till later on. REMEMBER THIS IS NOT A WEDDING!) 

Also, not many people knew of us getting married some of them are a little hurt that we didn't tell them about it until after wards.

STUCK IN THE BOX.

just have a party. Invite whoever you'd like, have food and music, play games.

As to if you can do anything else, I would host as much of the food as possible. It is your party, you should bare the brunt of the responsibility for hosting it. It doesn't have to be fancy, a hosted, casual affair is waaay better than something I have to lug food for. I would word invitations to say "join the newlyweds for... " or something.
  • Options
    I'd host the food and skip the speeches (I guess a toast- which lasts under one minute- or two is fine).  Is the vibe Sunday best/fancy or casual/karaoke/bingo?  Ditto CMG's wording.

congrats!
  • Options
    So first yay, props to you for not planning a wedding re-do.

Ditto PPs on the food. Guests shouldn't have to bring food for your party. There's nothing wrong with pizza, tacos, deli trays, etc. Host what you can afford! Just makes sure there's a seat for everyone & plenty of food and beverages (doesn't have to be alcohol if you don't want). 

CMG's wording for the invites is good. If there are guests who may be surprised you got married or hurt they weren't invited, it may be a good idea to call them before you send invites and tell them yourself. 

I do think you need to choose a vibe or feel for the party though. If you want Sunday best, you could have dancing & karaoke, but if you want things to be more casual, you could include lawn games, etc. PLEASE don't specify a dress code, that's always rude (unless the event is truly black tie or the venue has a dress code or it's something like wearing a costume to a Halloween party). I wouldn't give formal speeches, but allow a little time as family may want to make short toasts. A welcome "thanks for coming everyone" by the two of you would also be fine.

Where are you having your party? How many hours were you wanting to fill? And what time of day? That will dictate a lot of your options too.
  • Options

Something small would be appropriate. A potluck, however, would not. It's on you to host your guests, not ask them to bring their own provisions. If you want them to celebrate with you, the least you can do is provide the food and beverages at your own cost.