Wedding Woes

Thursdayyyyyyyy

Working with teenage girls apparently means I start writing / typing like them.  :)

I'm so excited ... baseball playoffs start today in Houston!  I have tickets to the game, so I'm ready to cheer!  I work very close to the ballpark, so I've noticed that there are already street closures and jacked up parking prices.  This morning I passed a parking lot ~5 blocks from the stadium.  Normally, parking for that area on game days go for $5 or $10.  Today it will cost $60!!!!  Thankfully I have my reserved parking space for school, so I'm just leaving my car there.  And since there will be so many road closures in the afternoon, we get an early dismissal at 11:00.  Since the game doesn't start till 3 and I won't leave downtown till 6:30 or so, I'll have plenty of time to chill & enjoy the festivities!

How is everyone else?

Re: Thursdayyyyyyyy

• @holyguacamole79, have fun at the ballgame!  Go Astros!  That is so nice and convenient that you can just leave your car at work.

@mrsconn23, yay good weather for DC!  Sorry it is going to be a boring work day without your work wife and friend to message with, lol.

This is my "Friday".  Not for anything fun.  I have to get fasting bloodwork tomorrow.  And, since Fridays are my half days anyway, I'm just taking the whole day off.  Probably grocery shopping.

Tropical Storm Nate is currently headed straight to Louisiana.  Predicted to be a Category 1 Hurricane by the time it makes landfall.  So the weather this weekend is going to SUUU-CCCKK.  Torrential rains are predicted for both Saturday and Sunday.  Monday will be no picnic either.  Depending on what is going on with road conditions at that time, I might take Monday off also.

My H and I have our p/t job Sat. morning.  After that, we'll just be geared up to stay hunkered down at home all weekend.  I wouldn't be surprised if we lose power for a day or two.  Awesome (sigh).  At least it's not stupidly hot anymore and we can almost get by without an a/c.  Almost, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just work for me today. Tomorrow Jack gets neutered and I'm going to a concert with a friend. I am definitely not in the mood to work today. I'm so glad it's my last day until Monday. People are already getting sick around here so I wonder how much longer I'll be able to go without catching something. 

Sending you good house vibes @charlotte989875

• @holyguacamole79, $60 bucks?  Downtown Chicago doesnt' even rip you off that much! I hope it comes with a personal security guard to watch your car!
    @mrsconn23, wait - there's kids parties that don't have adult beverages? I swear that was a main motivator for when my parents put on our parties growing up.
    @charlotte989875, WTG on the house! all my positive vibes for a sale.

So I'm all caught up on Halloween Baking Championship and Halloween Wars.  And now, I'm going to get into the baking mode.  I'm going to start using the crockpot (chili first up!) which allow me to have more baking time after work. I only used boxed cakes.  Anyone have a great fail proof "white cake" recipe that's to die for?  Speaking of dye....I'd like it to taste good with food dye in it too :)  I was scrolling a baking board, but the #1 cake recipe recommended wasn't up on the page anymore :(

• @charlotte989875 house vibes!!

Not a whole lot. Had a shower and did a face mask. As I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting a lot of tiny breakouts on my chin and my skin has gotten oilier. My skin was combo before, so I typically treated it like oily skin {unless it changed - I'd make adjustments obv} Right now I'm thinking to help keep it balanced, I'll just do face masks every couple days.
    Might help.
    I drink a lot of water already. If it keeps being an issue, I have a prenatal appt in November so I'll just bring it up with my dr.

My mum is wanting me to tell my nana sooner than later because for whatever reason my nana has brought it up a few times. {note: my nana is my dad's mum}
    I talked to M, and despite us wanting to wait until the ultrasound we may opt to tell my nana soon and just show her when we get heartbeat/ultrasound.
    Apparently she has a feeling I'm pregnant and just haven't said anything yet - which my mum knows I am and is having a hard time lying to her :')! We'll see though.

Tonight I have to throw in laundry.  It's been sitting at the top of our basement stairs for a few days but I've just been so done at the end of the day I haven't had the motivation to do any. *sigh*
    I hope M can reach his dad soon .... we still have to tell him lol
  • I'm glad I took DD to the pedi when I did because she has a left ear infection.  Dr said she is the happiest baby with an ear infection she has ever seen!  She has a prescription and will be taking Tylenol throughout the day.  I got her a humidifier to help her sleep better and I think it worked.  AND H and I are both getting sick now.  We both have the exact same symptoms, so who knows who gave it to who or if DD gave it to both of us.  So I stocked up on $45 worth of medicine at CVS on my way to work.  We have vacation coming up in 2 weeks and I want us all to be well!

Not much else happened yesterday.  Not much happening today!

Bring on Prudie!

• @kimmiinthemitten Urg I hate when dr's are baby pushers. It's not their job to push a lifestyle on you. It's one thing to bring it up {"have you both thought about having a kid?" kinda way}
    That's kinda harsh of your H to discuss with his dad, but the "if you don't try you'll regret it" ? That's just low.
    It's a mutual decision. Don't let people pressure you <3

@OliveOilsMom I use to get a lot of ear infections as a kid, so you're lucky your little one is happy :) I was miserable lmfao Hope you all feel better soon!
  • I'm going to enjoy October baseball as long as I can.   My gut feeling is that even with my new boyfriend Aaron Judge, the Yankees are probably not going to outlast the Indians especially with all the pitching changes they made on Tuesday night.

I'm having a Dunkin iced coffee and holy moly is that thing sweet.     
  • banana468 said:
    I'm going to enjoy October baseball as long as I can.   My gut feeling is that even with my new boyfriend Aaron Judge, the Yankees are probably not going to outlast the Indians especially with all the pitching changes they made on Tuesday night.

I'm having a Dunkin iced coffee and holy moly is that thing sweet.     
    Try the McD's iced coffee. I usually get vanilla flavoured. Sweet but not overly so
  • @charlotte989875 Right, and as a female doctor, she should know more than anyone that it's a double standard for women.  A guy can have a baby with minimal career interruption, a woman can't.  I watched my sister stop caring about a career she invested16 years into between her degrees and experience over a baby. 

Maybe if mothers stopped talking about motherhood in these ridiculously grandiose and vague terms and started talking about life for real, it'd be easier for those of us on the fence.  I love being a career woman, I love my current life as-is.  Telling me that everyone goes through that phase, and that you will never remember what your old life was like does not encourage me, it scares me more.

@MissKittyDanger I appreciate her because for the most part we have real conversations about the medical side of it (obviously not the emotional side).  She's only about 10 years older than me and started around my age, so she's no bullshit about the medical side of older maternity and that I appreciate.

Yeah, H apologized profusely for that.  He said he shouldn't have spoken in such exact terms.  But that he does think he'd still like to not prevent, and revisit this in the summer after I've been in my job for a while. And I'm not 100% innocent here, I said I'd be willing to not prevent, but now that we're nearing that time, I'm also doing a little tap dancing and haven't been 100% honest with him on that side either.  Thankfully he understands the psychology of my fear.

Preach! I love my new jobs, I like what I'm doing, and we like our lives. Seeing my sister go back to work (and love being back at work) has been good and she's super honest about what she's going through, but yeah I'd love to not just that "motherhood is the greatest thing ever and I wasn't really a person/didn't know what love was/my life meant nothing until I had a baby" (I know not everyone says or feels this way, but I hear this thing A LOT). That all terrifies me because I like my life, and I love my H and our dogs, and I don't want to not feel that way. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten Oh that's good. It still isn't fair for people to push other for kids, but at least it's more on the medical side.

I get the nerves. When it came time for me to get off BC, even though we were ready {well ... as ready as we could be} I felt this overwhelming "omg, are we really here?" My mum asked if I was changing my mind, and I knew I wasn't waffling it was just shocking.
    Hopefully you 2 make a decision you're both happy with {even if it's not physically having a baby, would adoption be an idea on the table?}
  • @MissKittyDanger who knows, I always say I wish I could pop out a great 6 year old.  Although my sis and her fam is coming into town for 10 days, so I told H he was going to change his mind once we have a resident 2.5 year old in the house.

Maybe we need TK moms to start a "sure my kids an asshole" thread. :D
    LMFAO! Bolded .... so fun story. Tuesday we were waiting to see my dr to get appts set up.
    Legit 2 kids were having a rough night {not meltdown mode, but one could have easily morphed into that} and I just smirked and asked M if he was ready for that or if he changed his mind.
    He just gives me a look and I couldn't help but giggle :) The irony was great.

Also I 2nd the thread about kids! {gives me somewhere to keep warning of myself ;)!}
  • @holyguacamole79 That's awesome that you have a doctor who understands the medical and emotional side, and for you especially the spiritual side.  I know my H and I are on the opposite end of the spectrum in finding our own peace, and I apologize if it's a bit salt in the wound for you.
  • @kimmiinthemitten - not at all salt in the wound.  It's something that comes up in conversation (or even in observations) on a somewhat regular basis.  I'm in a few online support groups, so I know when to take a step back for my own sanity.  

It's taken a few years to get to this point.  It's not easy, and I still hurt sometimes.  It is what it is.  If you ever want to talk, PM me.

• (hugs) @holyguacamole79

On a lighter note, I forgot I started a pot of hard boiled eggs and just overcooked them. If that's not a metaphor, I don't know what is!
  • Hi everyone.

i am just going to jump into this baby convo because idk how to ease into it.

@kimmiinthemitten I totally get where you are at and have fewer “excuses” than you do. In this country/culture, it is crazy to not want kids, probably a lot of them. I have more people than ever asking me about kids. I recently went to an obgyn and she asked how many kids I have, none. And not trying? No. Still? ...

I had to give her a pass because of culture but it didn’t escape me.

DH still talks about wanting kids but he still doesn’t want to try for a few years. I told him, right now I am a soft no. In a few years it might be a hard no.
  • @MissKittyDanger who knows, I always say I wish I could pop out a great 6 year old.  Although my sis and her fam is coming into town for 10 days, so I told H he was going to change his mind once we have a resident 2.5 year old in the house.

@charlotte989875 right?!  I appreciate the stories from friends who are like "yeah my kids an asshole, but I wouldn't change it for the world" over the "Friday nights, sure have changed" crowd.  Stop being a martyr, trillions of people have had a child before you.

For example, my sister took the nugget to Disney on Ice last weekend.  I said, "Well, at least nugget will love it, I hope they sell beer for BIL."  She said, "You know Kim, what you consider fun changes when you have one of your own."  I said "it's okay to take your kids to things you don't like because she will.  You don't have to pretend Elsa is your favorite too."  

Maybe we need TK moms to start a "sure my kids an asshole" thread. :D
    Yes, this pisses me off. Like, the condescension of it. The "you couldn't possibly know the sacrifices I make for these precious cherubs, and you're silly ideas of fun mean nothing". Like, cool, but I know parents who like to drink/enjoy a night out/don't find Disney World all that exciting. I just need to hear from them more often. 
    Urg this!!

My mum use to say that if we went somewhere she knew I'd love but she didn't really enjoy {example: seeing Polka-Roo at the mall} she would find enjoyment on seeing my joy.
    That was her way of finding balance, and I'm sure every parent is different.
  • kvruns said:
    I've been working from home this week and it has been nice because I have been able to organize baby clothes and sell some through FB between work. Not to mention I've scooped up a few good deals on that page too - bring in some money and spend it right back haha. 

Nothing is safe from the baby these days. This morning he was able to grab a decorative glass bowl on the coffee table. I'm so glad I was right there or he could have pulled it over on himself - yikes. The coffee table is now bare although I can't figure out where to store all of the remotes now

Growing up, my parents kept a nice chess set on the coffee table.  When I was an ambulatory baby/toddler, I'd be told "no" if I touched it.  My mom said it was hilarious because, every month or two, I would test them.  She said I would put my little fingers on one piece, like I was gong to pick it up, but would then look at her or dad.  Waiting to see if I was told "no" again, lol.  Overall, I was well behaved with it, so they left the chess set on the table.

Then my younger sister was born.  She didn't care if they told her no.  She'd knock all the pieces over.  Or pick up a piece and put it in her mouth.

That chess set disappeared for a few years, lol.  Until she was in about 1st grade.  Then it finally returned to the coffee table.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    I've been working from home this week and it has been nice because I have been able to organize baby clothes and sell some through FB between work. Not to mention I've scooped up a few good deals on that page too - bring in some money and spend it right back haha. 

Nothing is safe from the baby these days. This morning he was able to grab a decorative glass bowl on the coffee table. I'm so glad I was right there or he could have pulled it over on himself - yikes. The coffee table is now bare although I can't figure out where to store all of the remotes now

Growing up, my parents kept a nice chess set on the coffee table.  When I was an ambulatory baby/toddler, I'd be told "no" if I touched it.  My mom said it was hilarious because, every month or two, I would test them.  She said I would put my little fingers on one piece, like I was gong to pick it up, but would then look at her or dad.  Waiting to see if I was told "no" again, lol.  Overall, I was well behaved with it, so they left the chess set on the table.

Then my younger sister was born.  She didn't care if they told her no.  She'd knock all the pieces over.  Or pick up a piece and put it in her mouth.

That chess set disappeared for a few years, lol.  Until she was in about 1st grade.  Then it finally returned to the coffee table.

I put up foam interlocking tiles on the hearth to protect him from the bricks since it is the perfect height for him. He's started pulling at the edges of the tiles and trying to take them off. I sternly say no and he usually just looks at me and laughs or smiles and goes back at it. I move him away and he races back over to it and does it again - sometimes he'll even look at me before he does it just to make sure I see. But he's so damn cute I have to laugh