Attire & Accessories Forum

Average cost for alterations

I just said yes to the dress a few hours ago! However, I went just a little over budget...which is fine..I totally love the gown.
What I am wondering is about alterations costs. I assumed my cost would be around 400 bucks because I am 5ft 1 (on a good day) and I have a DDD chest.
The bridal salon ordered 1 size larger than what  I sized at so my bust would be comfortable, but I am planning on losing a good amount of weight and hoping to go back to a street 4-6 from a 10-12. This would probably bring my alterations way UP. So I am just wondering has anyone altered from a bridal 16 to a bridal 8 or 10 before? How much did it run ?  I just want to factor it in, I had some wiggle room in my budget and want to now include a high estimate for alterations. 

Thanks in advance for the advice. 
Does 600 dollars sound high?

Re: Average cost for alterations

• The price will depend on the construction of the dress, how many layers there are, and how much your seamstress charges. 

600 does not sound high to me. I would start saving up to 1000. Probably won’t be that much but better to have too much than not enough. But I also got married in a high cost area so your experience could be different than mine.
  • 600 sounds low. They will have to open and restitch every single seam. 
  • Thank you, I wasn't sure. I took my prom dress in form an 8 to a 4 and it was like 250 so I guess 1000 would be more realistic!

• My sister went from a bridal 16 to a bridal 10 and alterations were around $1000.  In addition to taking in, it included a strand of buttons up the back, a sparkly belt sewn on at the waist, and something with the bustle.
  • Thank you !! I was thinking of adding a few buttons, bustle, and liner in top of hemming and taking it in, because the top of the bodice is sheer. I worked it around in my budget, but I'm starting to feel nervous because the bridal shop convinced me they could do anything with alterations, hoping I didn't get duped. :/ 
  • Thank you !! I was thinking of adding a few buttons, bustle, and liner in top of hemming and taking it in, because the top of the bodice is sheer. I worked it around in my budget, but I'm starting to feel nervous because the bridal shop convinced me they could do anything with alterations, hoping I didn't get duped. :/ 
    You didn’t get duped. They CAN do almost anything, it just costs money.
  • To give you an idea, my dress was an Allure, had a satin underlay and a lace overlay. I had the satin underlay straps (only) taken up slightly, the dress shortened, and a bustle put in. Didn't even have it taken in anywhere, it fit like a glove. VERY basic and simple alterations. It cost me around $300.

Your alterations are reallllyyy going to depend on the dress style, how many layers there are, the type of fabric, whether there's boning, etc. Taking any dress from a 16 to an 8 (assuming you make your goal) is often not even advised depending on the style of the dress. I would expect to pay over $1000 for the type of work you're talking about and I don't even know the style/material.
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with PPs, $1000 (or more) is probably want you want to plan for. I was not in a high cost area and adding a crinoline, letting it out slightly, and some minor adjustments cost me roughly $300 because my dress was lace and had multiple layers. Again, I think it's going to depend on the structure of the dress, but taking it in that much is substantial work. 

I don't think you got duped; they can do pretty much anything, but the more work involved the more expensive it will be. Just curious if you're planning to lose a substantial amount of weight, did you need to order it now? 
  • I had the dress hemmed, a bustle added, and the bust fitted better and a bra sewn in. There was no sizing adjustments other than the bust fitting. My total was between $500 and $600. So I think $1000 is a good bet if you need the size taken in, too. 
  • I agree with PPs, $1000 (or more) is probably want you want to plan for. I was not in a high cost area and adding a crinoline, letting it out slightly, and some minor adjustments cost me roughly $300 because my dress was lace and had multiple layers. Again, I think it's going to depend on the structure of the dress, but taking it in that much is substantial work. 

I don't think you got duped; they can do pretty much anything, but the more work involved the more expensive it will be. Just curious if you're planning to lose a substantial amount of weight, did you need to order it now? 
    This is my question. Also, can you ask the shop if you can substitute sizes at some point if you lose weight? 
  • I did need to buy between 8 months to a year out to avoid any rush fees, by the time I lose 30 to 40 lbs it would have been to late to order a dress. I wanted to order a size smaller, but they required me to order in the size that coincides with my bust. ( I have a large chest and smaller waist)
    Also I got free Badgley Mishka's with my dress. 

charlotte989875  I think that is a good question for me to ask the bridal shop, but it says no exchanges, all sales are final.

This is my dress: http://callablanche.com/marilyn-gallery/  but I ordered it in ivory/ivory and I will line the front. 
     It was giving me anxiety that the structure of the dress will be ruined, but the sales lady assured me it wouldn't. 
    I will save 1500 for alterations just in case. 

• It  is taking 6 to 8 months for my dress to come in*** 
  • UPDATE : I spoke to the  bridal salon, they informed me even though I am ordering a standard size once I order the dress its mine . She told my if they need to alter the structure it will be extra from whatever their  tiers of altering are (which they will provide me). I am so nervous about this now. I love my dress I am just worried now that with the sizing everything will be ruined with the structure..I should have insisted on a size smaller. 
    I am pretty sure it will need to be altered 2 to 3 sizes down, based on the fact I have lost 10 pounds this month alone.
    I guess I can always fatten up lol but obviously I wouldn't want to. 

I have been on a weight loss journey for sometime now with the goal of losing 50 lbs, which is now 40 to go.

Thank you all for your help. I paid a higher amount for the dress than I wanted, I am just hoping alterations are not the same cost as the dress itself. 
  • Because of the transparent top and visible boning, that's going to be a very hard dress to take down so drastically. If I were you, I would take these photos and this exact question to a few seamstresses in town and gauge their reactions. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Another update lol 
    I spoke to the bridal shop alterations and she quoted me for taking it in, doing the hem, bustle, fixing the cups about 525 so I figure to line the front and add buttons it won't be too much more. I think you ladies were right about 1000 maybe 1100. 
    My anxiety has lessened about this thankfully.
    Going off of how my body looked when I was 40lbs skinnier, I know I will probably be a standard dress size 6-8 which would make me a bridal 10-12 , that's only 2 to 3 sizes smaller than what I ordered so I think the structure will be ok. --Kinda stinks they required me to order what the largest part of me measured at, its an odd rule--

Thank you so much everyone! 
    Once I get the final pricing for alterations I am going to add it for other brides to review. 
  • Another update lol 
    I spoke to the bridal shop alterations and she quoted me for taking it in, doing the hem, bustle, fixing the cups about 525 so I figure to line the front and add buttons it won't be too much more. I think you ladies were right about 1000 maybe 1100. 
    My anxiety has lessened about this thankfully.
    Going off of how my body looked when I was 40lbs skinnier, I know I will probably be a standard dress size 6-8 which would make me a bridal 10-12 , that's only 2 to 3 sizes smaller than what I ordered so I think the structure will be ok. --Kinda stinks they required me to order what the largest part of me measured at, its an odd rule--

Thank you so much everyone! 
    Once I get the final pricing for alterations I am going to add it for other brides to review. 
    that is because it is much easier to take something in than to let it out/ add more fabric.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2017
    First, dropping weight may change you proportionately.  That said, I'm VERY glad you ordered the dress in the size you are now.  Many knotties before you have made the other choice and regretted it horribly!

Keep your alterations budget up there in that $1100 PP suggested range because a) You lose weight and taking the dress in becomes impossible/changes the look you have a replacement dress budget b) alterations only go up in cost, your estimate is just that, and it's a LOW BALL estimate to make you feel good now while you can cancel out on the order, js, this is how many bridal shops operate (the horror stories hanging out here for any amount of time will appall you!) c) "It is always better to plan that things are going to cost more because if it ends up being less you'll have money left over to use for an upgrade somewhere else, which is FAR easier to work with than trying to find money later"...