Pre-wedding Parties

Nantucket or Block Island for a Bachelorette Party??

Hi!  I don't know which location to choose, Nantucket v. Block Island, for a Bachelorette Party!  There will be about 15-20 girls and we are open to renting a house or staying in a bunch of hotel rooms.  The issue with renting a house though is that most require a 7 day stay when we would only plan on going a Thursday - Sunday next July/August 2018.

All suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated! 

-Allison 

Re: Nantucket or Block Island for a Bachelorette Party??

• Hi!  I don't know which location to choose, Nantucket v. Block Island, for a Bachelorette Party!  There will be about 15-20 girls and we are open to renting a house or staying in a bunch of hotel rooms.  The issue with renting a house though is that most require a 7 day stay when we would only plan on going a Thursday - Sunday next July/August 2018.

All suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated! 

-Allison 

I'd consider posting this on a local board.  Before you plan, I think you need to:
    -Ask each potential guest what she's comfortable spending and if that includes room / bed sharing. 

Then, I would look around and see what the cost will be.   That's going to need to include the ferry / parking cost as well.    I live in CT and the cost just to put myself on the New London ferry is $50.  That doesn't include a car.   If I want a car when I get there then I'm driving to Pt. Judith and it's between approx. $80 and $100 to get a car on the ferry PLUS the round trip person cost.      There's really no getting around those costs unless someone in the group has access to a really nice boat. 

Start to look at hotels / cottages.   See what's available in your price points and possibly when you're looking to go.   Check out Air BnB too.  

If my memory serves me correctly, there may be more to do on Nantucket but that doesn't mean that BI can't be fun too.   You may want to look into that as well.  What would be your activities?   If you get a rained out weekend, I don't remember there being much in the way of stuff to do inside in BI other than the bars.

One other thought: have you considered Newport? 
  • Nantucket is very very expensive. I would not choose it for a Bachelorette party. Block Island is cheaper, although not cheap, Newport as well really fun but not cheap. 
  • The only reason I tossed out Newport is because getting there is generally less expensive and you can take your own vehicle.   None are going to be low cost when you're there.  

• banana468 said:
    The only reason I tossed out Newport is because getting there is generally less expensive and you can take your own vehicle.   None are going to be low cost when you're there.  

Oh yeah I completely agree- it won't be cheap but much cheaper than Nantucket!!
  • So I LOVE Block Island- we go there every year around Labor Day.  I got engaged there, wanted to get married there (didn't happen), and just absolutely love it there.

But I honestly don't know if I would recommend it for a bachelorette party.  While there is a lot to do, overall BI is very relaxing- beaches, dining, and some shopping.  Nightlife is minimal.  Unless that is what you are going for?

I second PP's- please factor in cost.  Between travel, ferries, hotel/home rentals, this might add up quick.  Please make sure everyone is comfortable with that.  Newport was a great recommendation for a long weekend- did you look into that?  So much fun there!