Wedding Invitations & Paper

NWR Holiday cards

Hi everyone. Ready for some overthinking? I hope so :)

I am considering sending holiday cards for the first time this year since we have had a lot of changes in the last 365 and DH and I don’t really use social media. My first concern is that we are overseas. I was thinking it would be easiest to use a US company because that is where 99% of our cards would be going but don’t know about how to send them? There isn’t a complete service company that will print and mail things for you is there??? 

I remember from my wedding research that there is a company that will address the envelopes for you but can’t remember the name. I could have them sent to my MIL and then reimburse her for the stamps.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome because I really don’t know what I am doing, lol. 

Re: NWR Holiday cards

• I think it would make much more sense to buy them where you are, write a personal note on them or at least sign them yourself, and mail them out. Mail from overseas is fun, and having them done completely remotely isn't very special. 

That being said it looks like this company will do it: https://www.postable.com/about
  • I agree with @STARMOON44 that it would be more special to come from overseas. If it is the expense that is the issue, do the cards where you are then send them to your MIL to mail. I think it would be so cool to get a card made in a foreign country.

• edited November 2017
    Thank you both. I will have to see how much it is to send 20 or so letters. This country is weird, there isn’t really a postal service, people barely have addresses. Even doctors offices come up in google as “neighborhood, across form the Lebanese bakery”. 

What about it being foreign makes it cool? I am pretty sure they don’t have stamps here. I was thinking about just doing a normal photo holiday card so idk what the difference between it being printed here or there is. Would you (General) expect some local flare or something more special than just a photo card? FWIW, we shipped a small box back to the states a couple months ago and it cost us >200$USD, trying to avoid tha again.

eta: I agree with STARMOON. It would be nice to be able to write a personal note and sign the cards. 
  • nearly everywhere has stamps, and yes they are cool! 
  • edited November 2017
    nearly everywhere has stamps, and yes they are cool! 
    I seriously don’t think they are a thing here, it is so strange. I googled how to mail things and most expat forum recommended fedex or DHL. I found a postage calculator on the official website and it will be about 2$US to send each letter so not as bad as I thought, but the best anyone is going to get is a barcode I am afraid.

eta: I will skip the photo card, buy an inexpensive box of cards, and mail it from here. It may take more time to write the notes but it is worth it. :) Thanks Ladies.
  • edited November 2017
    I was so excited. I googled greeting cards from Lebanon. Found a beautiful card with the Lebanese flag - red and white with a cedar in the center. Perfect. You could add your own personal holiday greetings. But not so fast. The cards were from Walmart, USA, not Lebanon. Booh!

Here's another shot in the dark. Go to an art museum. Purchase postcards, add your personal holiday greetings. Send them to mom in one box with money for postage. Do it asap, since mail probably travels slow from a place that doesn't have formal addresses. But don't stress. A greeting from Lebanon, will be appreciated, even if it's late.

When my BIL was living in Israel and Saudi Arabia, it was very exciting to get the occasional post card from him. He brought us back souvenirs, but I can tell you the cards were more meaningful in his absence. 

A note from your own hand is much more appreciated than one from a greeting company, but if you must, Shutterfly will print up 'personal' greeting cards, address and mail them. Or at least that service was available 5 years ago when my daughter was married.

• @MairePoppy you hit the nail on the head. Nothing is really made here, unless you are going artisanal. But, I can buy a box of cards, probably from China, with a local image on it. I figure the words inside count more than the picture on the outside anyway. :) 

• @MairePoppy you hit the nail on the head. Nothing is really made here, unless you are going artisanal. But, I can buy a box of cards, probably from China, with a local image on it. I figure the words inside count more than the picture on the outside anyway. :) 

Oh you're in Lebanon? Libanpost definitely has stamps! 
  • edited November 2017
    @MairePoppy you hit the nail on the head. Nothing is really made here, unless you are going artisanal. But, I can buy a box of cards, probably from China, with a local image on it. I figure the words inside count more than the picture on the outside anyway. :) 

Oh you're in Lebanon? Libanpost definitely has stamps! 
    No, I think she just used it for an example. I am in the UAE. I figured out there ARE stamps. I can't tell if they are functional or just for collecting because we definitely don't use them within the country. 

Although, I have never tried to mail anything using emirates posts so I could just be completely wrong in my thinking. Once, MIL sent us a package and we had to pick it up at the post office. It has to have your phone number on it so they can call you to pick up your package, they do not bring it to to you. God forbid someone try to surprise you and not know to put your number on it because you will never know about it. Everything else we have ever received is either sent by courier (dude with a car) or delivery service (fed ex, aramex, etc) and we have only sent a small box to the US using Aramex. I have heard good things about the post, I just have never used them; this will be a good learning experiment, hehe.
  • Well, I don't know where I got the idea that you are in Lebanon. I must be losing my mind. 

• No worries @MairePoppy I don’t often mention exactly where I am.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    Well, I don't know where I got the idea that you are in Lebanon. I must be losing my mind. 
    This is probably where you got it and assumed this meant she was in Lebanon. 

>snip<
    Even doctors offices come up in google as “neighborhood, across form the Lebanese bakery”. 
    >snip<

• Well, I don't know where I got the idea that you are in Lebanon. I must be losing my mind. 
    This is probably where you got it and assumed this meant she was in Lebanon. 

>snip<
    Even doctors offices come up in google as “neighborhood, across form the Lebanese bakery”. 
    >snip<

Lol, I see. My fault. I was just using it as an example, could have just as easily been Popeyes.

Screen shot included for humor. Here is an official list of health providers from our insurance company. (I tried to put it in a spoiler box but don’t know if it worked. )