Chit Chat

**SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

Re: **SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

• Did no one else pick up on the random soldier reference? 
    Apparently not? What was it?

Edited: ohhhh when Jack was a solider!? I just assumed they were showing why he drank. That, his dad, ... 
    That was my thought too.

Re: Kate and her mom. I think Kate is overly sensitive but I am guessing there were little comments growing up that continued to build and create some of this animosity

Re: Jack - I guess I'm in the minority but I don't really care/think too much about when Jack is going to die or how. 

Edited: ohhhh when Jack was a solider!? I just assumed they were showing why he drank. That, his dad, ... 

It happened so fast I don't remember the details, I was just like "whaa?"  Was he a soldier?
    I feel like this was worked into Jack's story line last year. Remember when he was young, living at home and working on the neighbor woman's car? I feel like it was mentioned then. 

It happened so fast I don't remember the details, I was just like "whaa?"  Was he a soldier?
    I feel like this was worked into Jack's story line last year. Remember when he was young, living at home and working on the neighbor woman's car? I feel like it was mentioned then. 

Yes, thank you.  There are so many little details that I totally forgot this one!

Yes, thank you.  There are so many little details that I totally forgot this one!

It wasn't just you, @kimmiinthemitten.  It was a quick, random scene.  A real non-sequiter (sp?).  I kind of vaguely remembered that Jack had fought in Vietnam and assumed it was something to do with him.  But there wasn't even an "aha" moment.  Maybe it is just a building block for more about his Vietnam experience later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I remember it being mentioned awhile back in season 1 briefly - the ep when Jack and Rebecca meet? It was super brief but I was like ":O!"
  • Between Kevin acting as a soldier then hurting his already bad knee - the one that was messed up when Jack died, as they keep showing - I think they're really building it up.

I read an interview somewhere that it'll be relatively early in the season, I just wanna know at this point lol
  • I forgot about the knee thing from when he was younger (I just now watched last week's episode). 
  • I can’t believe Kate is pregnant!! I’m curious as to why she hasn’t told Toby yet. 

I hope the script changes that arrived with Kevin’s fruit bouquet don’t affect his character, although the seemingly disappointed look on Kevin’s face hint that they do. 
  • I can’t believe Kate is pregnant!! I’m curious as to why she hasn’t told Toby yet. 

I hope the script changes that arrived with Kevin’s fruit bouquet don’t affect his character, although the seemingly disappointed look on Kevin’s face hint that they do. 

Doesn't obesity carry a higher risk for miscarriage?  I'm guessing the mom story line plays into her feeling like a disappointment all the time, so she's doing all this crazy weight loss stuff to not miscarry and risk disappointing him.

I don't remember Kevin's knee thing at all...what was it?

• I accidentally read this before watching so i saw the Kate part Whoops

For some reason Kevin is really annoying me lately, and the knee thing and not rehabbing it properly 

• Yea I think you’re correct about weight being a risk factor so i could see her going into overdrive for that
  • I saw preview for tonight's ep and she finally tells Toby. I think her weight made her scared to tell him, but I liked at the end that she smiled about baby being okay :)
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    Nicky???  Come on, now. My head is spinning!
  • MobKaz said:
    Nicky???  Come on, now. My head is spinning!
    I know! I can’t believe we never heard of him before! Looks like he and Jack were inVietnam together and Nicky must have been KIA, but all these new facts are getting hard to keep track of!!

I’m so disappointed in Kevin. How did that happen? I thought he had refused to take his pain meds?!
  • I loved how Rebecca and young Kate interacted in this episode- so cute together!  And I'm glad to see that Randall's foster child (Deja) finally, finally opened up a little bit.  I'm rooting for her!

Jack's brother was a twist- interested to see where this goes...
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2017
    Yea Kevin pissed me off. Going from not taking pills to addiction? 

Edit: I don't mean Kevin pissed me off because of the addiction but rather his missing the auction, etc. 
  • kvruns said:
    Yea Kevin pissed me off. Going from not taking pills to addiction? 

Edit: I don't mean Kevin pissed me off because of the addiction but rather his missing the auction, etc. 
    The behavior that comes with addiction is supposed to piss you off. I'm projecting and pissed at him for all the times he could have been honest with Randall and Sophie! 
  • Gah, I cry every damn episode. The scenes with Jack and his dad hit me right in the feels. Also, it's clear now why it's so important to him for Kevin and Randall to get along. What a shock that Jack had a little brother. 

I was really hoping Kevin would just admit it to Sophie. How sad to watch him self destruct. 

Toby and Kate are so cute. 
  • I was up super early this morning and watched last night's episode. Is it just me or did they not do a good job with aging Mandy Moore this time with the birth of Tess? She would be in her late 50s, right? She looked way younger. I've always thought they did a good job of making her older.

And just when they make me hate Kevin even more with trying to steal his friend's acting job they redeem him with being nice to Kate as kids. 
  • kvruns said:

Re: Jack - I guess I'm in the minority but I don't really care/think too much about when Jack is going to die or how. 

Me too. There's so much else going on that i find more interesting. Also, I'm the same age as the adult kids and my dad also died when I was 17. That's 20 years ago. I still miss him, and sometimes things still make me emotional, but man, it's like these people haven't resolved ANYTHING regarding their dad's death in 20 years. 

And then we found out last night that Rebecca and Miguel didn't even start to get together until the first grandchild was born and Facebook was a thing...that's what, 10 years ago? 10 years after their father died? The triplets seem to have so much animosity towards Miguel I assumed they got together right after Jack's death. 
  • @MandyMost yes!!! I had totally assumed Rebecca and Miguel got together right after Jack died! Now I’m extra curious as to the animosity towards him. Maybe they think he had something to do with Jacks death??
  • Every episode ends like the end of an episode of lost.
  • I also was shocked that Rebecca and Miguel connected on Facebook! With the kids' reaction to him, they really had you believing that they ended up together soon after Jack's death. 
  • Hit send too soon - also, it's not OK for your mom to move on 10+ years after your dad's death?? That just made me more annoyed at how they treat Miguel. 

• Finally caught up on everything and the Hallowe'en ep with Rebecca crying at the end.

I lost it.

That hit home a lot more than I expected. I was crying because that's exactly how my mum feels. That my dad should be around to experience these things.

Damn producers .... damn.

Also previous ep, I cried happy tears about how excited Toby is! It made me feel so good for Kate because you could tell she was nervous about it

Side note: @climbingwife I don't think it's really about the fact she's dating. I think it's more "you're husband died. You're seeing his best friend?" Plus your parent dating after losing their spouse is weird - regardless who it is. I'm currently understanding that part.
  • Finally caught up on everything and the Hallowe'en ep with Rebecca crying at the end.

I lost it.

That hit home a lot more than I expected. I was crying because that's exactly how my mum feels. That my dad should be around to experience these things.

Also previous ep, I cried happy tears about how excited Toby is! It made me feel so good for Kate because you could tell she was nervous about it

Side note: @climbingwife I don't think it's really about the fact she's dating. I think it's more "you're husband died. You're seeing his best friend?" Plus your parent dating after losing their spouse is weird - regardless who it is. I'm currently understanding that part.
    i haven't been in that position, so I don't know how it feels. But it seems that Rebecca stayed single for more than 10 years, and then reconnected with Jack's friend. For her kids to be so rude to Miguel about it I think is annoying. 

I lost it.

i haven't been in that position, so I don't know how it feels. But it seems that Rebecca stayed single for more than 10 years, and then reconnected with Jack's friend. For her kids to be so rude to Miguel about it I think is annoying. 
    I agree, but maybe they thought it was weird because of who it is? Or maybe Miguel showed up and tried to act like their dad?

I hope they go into that more. I'd like to know why the animosity.
  • That's true in that there very well could be a back story. But according to this new time line, she would have started dating Miguel when her kids were almost 30! 

Yes, I'm entirely too invested in this. 
  • MandyMost said:
    That's true in that there very well could be a back story. But according to this new time line, she would have started dating Miguel when her kids were almost 30! 

Yes, I'm entirely too invested in this. 
    I really hope the put together more backstory for why the kids are pissed about Miguel and Rebecca. I just can't accept that they'd be so pissed that "mom's dating dad's friend that she had lost touch with for 10 years, 10 years after dad died, and now they've been together almost 10 years and we're still pissed". Everyone's different, but c'mon! And I definitely feel qualified to judge since their timeline lines up almost perfectly with mine (dad died at 17, I'm 36 now). 
    Honestly, it's possible. It could be anything from "no one is good enough for our mother" to "urg mom's dating"