Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Gawd I hate adulting.  To get an insurance discount DH and I both had to get physicals.  I sent the forms in and filled out the other paperwork.  Open enrollment started and I go to sign up...no discount.  It says they didn't get *my* form, even though it was sent at the same time as DH's.  So now I have to fight it out with them to get my discount.  Annoying AF. 

*sigh*  Anyway, looks like there were some good election results yesterday.  Next year is the real test.  

DefConn broke his glasses yesterday, but only the frame.  I think they have his frame in house, so the swap should be easy.  I need to call over there soon to make sure.  Has anyone used Zenni for glasses?  Their prices are good.  I want to get him a back-up pair.  

Other than that, SSDD

Re: Wednesday

• I'm enjoying election results so far.  I can't even say that it makes me cautiously optimistic for 2018, but I'm enjoying it.

5 days until vacation.

K is gone this weekend and I have some things I have to do for some organizations I've promised.  I'm skipping a big fancy fundraiser b/c I just don't have the money, or more importantly the inclination, to go.
  •  Insurance is the worst!  Not the same, but my dad worked for Amtrak and he was trying to get me a dependent's pass prior to my internship in DC, so I could take the train for free back and forth.  They fill out 3 applications and each time it was lost.  My aunt worked in the office, so she volunteered to hand deliver the last one.  Finally got done.  About 2 years later, my aunt tells us they found one of my applications in a box in a closet!

Last night was decent.  DD was a little bit more fussy than usual, so she was being a handful.  I think its the time change that is getting to her.  She started her typical witching hour almost exactly 1 hour earlier.  Can't wait for her little body to adjust!

I did go scouring for some cute Christmas card picture ideas.  Showed them to my H and he thinks we can handle them!  Next I shopped on Amazon for some cute outfits.  I will hit up Target next to get the last few items for staging purposes.  Most things will just come from our current Christmas decorations. 

Here is the outfit I like most: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BSRQNV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To be worn with these leg warmers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018ZV1ZU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm hoping the reds match.  If not, this is the backup outfit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DD9ZMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The outfits won't arrive until next week, I can't wait!

Tonight is yoga and hopefully nothing else!

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    I didn't even realize yesterday was election day, oops. I don't think we had any local races though (at least I hope not).

Took yesterday off to go to the outlet mall with my parents. We used to always go on a Saturday but switched to a weekday this year because of the baby. No way was I schlepping him along on a shopping trip. The outlets were dead it was so nice not to have to wait in line to pay anywhere!

Along those lines of insurance, my insurance gave you a discount for enrolling in a pregnancy program and there was a form to fill out from the Dr saying you were in fact pregnant. My Dr office didn't fill it all out so it was rejected, insurance took 4 weeks to be able to send me a new form for them to fill out (You couldn't just get it online) and by that time I had switched Dr offices and couldn't get the old one to fill it out and send in again. It was so annoying. 

edit: typo
  • @OliveOilsMom what are you doing for the pictures? We're not doing specific CHristmas pix this year (did them last year in conjunction with his newborn pix) although might try to take some at home. Also hoping to get a picture of him with Santa for Christmas cards. 
  • @mrsconn23 I have not used Zenni but have friends that have and they rave about it. sorry about your insurance, that sucks.

I tried to exchange the vaccum today and ended up crying in the middle of the store, pretty sure I am hormonal. It is under warranty but the store I bought it from was bought by a different store, they reopened as the new store less than 2 weeks ago. The new store doesn't carry the same product, maybe not even the brand, and they wouldn't do an exchange or refund because that is not what the warranty is for. They are going to try to get it fixed but it could take upto 3 weeks and their best case solution was that I come back tomorrow and buy a new one on sale. The manager said he would give me a small free gift. ::roll eyes:: 

Then I walked around the mall for hours, trying to cure my mood with some retail therapy, but mostly just zoned out. 

DH got home a little early and is being very nice. I have zucchini lasagna (first attempt) in the oven and a glass of wine, so I think I will be okay.

Found out the apartment next door (exact same lay out as ours) dropped ~1k in price in the last 2 weeks, and about 3k closer to our budget than what our landlord offered. Our landlord wouldn't play ball a month ago but maybe we could reach out, or move next door. 
  • @mrsconn23, I do not understand why paperwork is so "hard" for so many businesses and government agencies alike to keep track of.    Most of my career has been paperwork and red tape, lol.  It isn't that difficult to set up a filing system for both electronic and hard copy files.  Nor should it be difficult for people to just put stuff where it goes yet, apparently it is.

@VarunaTT, I'm glad the election results are looking more promising than you were expecting.  The final countdown for vacation, yay!

@OliveOilsMom, I like both outfits.  But those little leg warmers just steal the show for me.  OMG, so cute!

My H and decided to go out to dinner last night on a whim.  We went to Gordon Biersch.  For those of you who haven't heard of it, it is a small national chain that brews its own beer and has a slight German theme to their food.  Mostly it is typical fare, but often with more atypical ingredients and/or flavorings.  I had one of their beers in the extra big and high pilsner glass.  After the annoying work day I had yesterday, it was needed, lol.  And the beer was especially tasty with their famous garlic fries.

Between running some errands after work on Monday and going out to dinner last night, today should be more mellow.  I hope I'll be able to catch up on my sleep, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    @mrsconn23, yes, I HATE insurance billing.  Insurance altogether.  But as I told my sister in law the other day, at least, the U.S. has good care to make the aggravation worth it!
    @oliveoilsmom, that is so cute!
    @Kvruns, if it wasn't for online shopping, no one would get any gifts from me. LOL. you're brave but go now rather than any time after the 23rd.  I already have a gift delivered for H, which I think was recommended by someone on here, "Ticket to ride"?
    @missjeanlouise, sorry about the vacuum cleaner.
    @short+sassy, you just mentioned the beer...what about the food? I have a $25 off of $50 coupon there but it's changeable (restaurant. com)  edit for:  never mind, restaurant com doesn't have that up anymore (or they never did!).  We may still go tonight for my friends bday without a coupon though.  Although I really like the coupons....

Last night I made some great chicken alfredo but as I was chopping up the parsley, I sliced my nail open (I can't even put on jeans it hurts so much - although my jeans are getting tight and it would be hard with or without the cut).  I haven't cooked in 2 weeks because of vacation and my mom visiting and now I'm out of commission for awhile!  I never want to cut anything ever again.

Do we have any "Strangers with candy" fans on here? Amy Sedaris has a new show "At Home with Amy Sedaris" which is pretty funny.  Has a SWC "feel" but not AS funny.  She has some guest cast appearances too!  H and i saw the first three eps last night.  It's worth a view.

• @CharmedPam, oh yes, they're food is great!  A little high priced I think, for what it is.  But a restaurant.com certificate will help with that.  I had shrimp and lobster mac 'n cheese.  It wasn't a thick cheese sauce, like mac 'n cheese usually is, but yummy nonetheless.  It was also generous with the shrimp .  Understandably less generous with the lobster.  But, what was there, was in decent sized chunks.

My H had fish and chips.  He said they were good/okay, but nothing to write home about.  However, caveat, he is ridiculously picky about fish and chips and is obsessive about finding the "perfect" fish and chips.  They are his "white whale".  Pardon the sea life joke.  I think his "perfect" fish and chips exists only in his mind, lol.

Case in point.  When we went to Boston last year, he was very excited to go on his "fish and chips" hunt.  The best place he found them was the Black Rose Irish Pub.  They were awesome and he did really like them.  But still had to make the comment, "I wish they used Pacific Cod, instead of Atlantic Cod."  Head tilt, side-eye..."The Atlantic ocean is right there, why would they use Pacific Cod?," (gesturing with my arm in the general direction of the ocean that is only a few blocks away, lol).   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Gawd I hate adulting.  To get an insurance discount DH and I both had to get physicals.   << snip >>
    I'm going to have to do this for the first time. Now that I have a kid DH and I both upped our employer-provided life insurance coverage. He could go up several times his salary without a physical, but I need one just for 3x salary. Oh well, it's for the best. 

Things are as "SSDD" as they can be with a 3 month old, haha. We've been really busy with social and family stuff on weekends, including this upcoming weekend.  On the one hand-- yay, socializing, life is still 'normal' even with a baby-- but on the other hand, ugh I have no time to get shit done like cleaning and grocery shopping and that kind of stresses me out. I like order in my life. 

• he was very excited to go on his "fish and chips" hunt.  The best place he found them was the Black Rose Irish Pub.  They were awesome and he did really like them.  But still had to make the comment, "I wish they used Pacific Cod, instead of Atlantic Cod."  Head tilt, side-eye..."The Atlantic ocean is right there, why would they use Pacific Cod?," (gesturing with my arm in the general direction of the ocean that is only a few blocks away, lol).   

I've already booked a hotel near Boston/Salem for next year!  No commitments (but I have invited a few!) from other people yet but by god, I'll go alone if I have to!  I actually went to Black Rose and got the fish and chips there.  I remember them being good too and I HATE fish (but is a fish stick really fish?).  I'll have to schedule an early flight and spend a day in Boston before heading over to Salem again.  OMG I miss it already.  Anyone have any connections for a MA job for me?  I'm good on the computer, with excel and data analyzing.  But also - I need time to surf the internet and knot.

• @kvruns I just did a few searches on Pinterest to get ideas.  We have a fireplace, so we will decorate it and sit her in front.  There was a cute picture of a kid looking up a fireplace for Santa, but don't know if we can pull that one off.  There were also some great pictures of young kids looking at Christmas lights and one staring at herself in a large reflective Christmas ball.  We will try all of these, for as long as DD will cooperate!

I really love some that have white lights in the background, but don't know if we could easily do those without spending a ton on lights!

• speaking of health insurance, the last time something was billed incorrectly, it took over a year to resolve it.  I'm in the same boat now.  I was billed incorrectly and united healthcare (my plan) adjusted it.  But it's not showing up on the doctor's end of the billing so they tell me I have an outstanding balance.  It's going to be a fight, guys,speaking from experience.  A dirty ugly fight. 

• DefConn's glasses broke due to a defect, so no warranty claim to fix them.  Wahoo.  :D 
  • @charmedpam your company EAP may have a group that can help sort/fight it out for you
  • Insurance can suck it. 

Facebook can suck it. I'm posting stupid shit. Start scrolling and find out dh's aunt has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She just finished her SECOND battle of Brady cancer. Aunt's friend posted asking for prayers. That's how most of the family found out. 
  • kvruns said:
    @charmedpam your company EAP may have a group that can help sort/fight it out for you
    Also see if your company's benefits broker can help if EAP can't/your company doesn't have EAP. 
  • Sorry to hear about you DH's aunt @6fsn. And what a shitty way to find out. People are the worst.

Love the first outfit @OliveOilsMom! It's adorable.

SSDD here. I'm sick (again? Maybe still?) and I just want to lay down and take a nap. I have students upset about test questions and I just don't have the energy to deal with it. 
  • Happy humpday! I'm off on friday and I CANNOT WAIT! I almost quit my job last night and still am fighting the itch today, so friday needs to hurry up already. There's a LOT of b.s. going on mainly involving my manager talking shit about me to my coworker because I made plans after my shift on saturday and didn't want to switch with someone because of said plans. Like I work 6 days a week, and normally I always cover shifts because I need the money. So idk what more she wants from me but I'm trying to collect my thoughts so I can notify the owner since we don't have an HR *eyeroll*

I went to school last night and surprise we had our final. Everyone was stressing out about it because over the weekend we had to do 3 chapters of homework and study for a maybe final. He gives us the final and its EXACTLY the same as a worksheet we did, he gave me test anxiety for no reason guys lol. I think I did well, give or take a few answers that I was questioning but went with my gut choice so we shall see tomorrow!

Other than this its SSDD, I can't wait for my little two week break from school before I start my new class! I'll be starting my Phlebotomy class after TG and I'm excited!!!
  • @6fsn Sorry to hear about DH's aunt. That's horrible and even more horrible to find out over FB.
  • @kvruns and @cupcait927, thank you! I'll look into that if need be. I emailed them my breakdown of what I paid and why, so hopefully they can adjust it and everything will be good.
    hahahahahaha.  I'm funny.

@6fsn, that sucks! Sorry about your aunt and how you found out. I swear I find out stuff about family only through fb too!

• Lala9414 said:

I went to school last night and surprise we had our final. Everyone was stressing out about it because over the weekend we had to do 3 chapters of homework and study for a maybe final. He gives us the final and its EXACTLY the same as a worksheet we did, he gave me test anxiety for no reason guys lol. I think I did well, give or take a few answers that I was questioning but went with my gut choice so we shall see tomorrow!

Sometimes I do that when I'm too tired to come up with new questions and I want to reward the students that do the homework well. 
  • Lala9414 said:

Sometimes I do that when I'm too tired to come up with new questions and I want to reward the students that do the homework well. 
    That's completely fine, I was actually grateful lol I was just upset about test anxiety for no reason :D I would've been fine if I knew it was going to be the same worksheet. But he gave us a huge list to study off of and then assigned the 3 chapters and said stuff from here will also be on the final and none of that happened. Hopefully the majority of our class passed it (since we never got that homework sheet back lol)
  • 6 - I'm sorry about DH's aunt.  That is a terrible way to find out.  Also F**k Cancer.
  • @6fsn, I'm sorry to hear about your DH's aunt.  FB stories like that convince me that social media has gotten out of control.

@Lala9414, no!  Don't quit in frustration and anger!  I'm glad you resisted the urge.  Keep up the good fight.  But sending out your resume for potential better opportunities does sound like a good plan ;).  It's really irritating to be the awesome and flexible team player...only to have people come to expect that instead of appreciating it.  Been there, done that!

At a previous job I had, one of my responsibilities was to answer the main office phone.  But it also wasn't a big deal if it just went to voicemail.  It was a small office and an engineering firm who did big (primarily government) projects, so we weren't open to the public nor would potential customers ring us up.  The phone didn't ring much and it was usually telemarketers. 

I often stayed in for lunch and, even if it was my lunch hour, I would pick up the phone if it rang, as a courtesy.  One day I went out for lunch and nobody else was there either.  The company president called (he worked out of the main Seattle office) and was all kinds of pi**ed off when he couldn't get in touch with a live person.  Never mind that all he ever wanted to know when he called the main line was, "Where is (Project Manager)?  He isn't picking up his cell."

New rules were laid down.  Everybody else could take their lunch hour whenever they wanted (to an extent).  But now, I HAD to cover the phones from 11:30-12:30 and then my manager would cover them for my specifically scheduled lunch hour of 12:30-1:30.  There was also one back-up for her lunch hour.  Special rules.  Just for me.  Awesome//sarcasm.  I already foresaw the future and made it very clear that if she was absent or whatever.  And I wasn't allowed to leave for MY lunch hour, then they either needed to pay me OT for that hour or let me leave one hour early sometime that week.  She was like "of course, but that will rarely or never happen."

The very next week, her and her back-up went jaunting off to a leisurely lunch.  They didn't return until 1:10PM.  Mmm...hmmm.  Y'all want new rules for only me.  Well then, now we are going to be a stickler for labor laws.  I took a few moments to find my zen over my anger at the ridiculous b.s I was being put through.  Practiced in my mind, the calm and professional tone I was going to use and went into her office.  I didn't even point out how late they had been.  Just pointed out that, since I hadn't been able to take my lunch, would it be better for me to charge that hour to OT or leave one hour early.  The shocked, stricken look on her face was priceless.  To give her credit, she apologized profusely and said they had just forgotten they needed to be back by 12:30.  I at least got to leave one hour early on that Friday, lol.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @6fsn, I'm sorry to hear about your DH's aunt.  FB stories like that convince me that social media has gotten out of control.

@Lala9414, no!  Don't quit in frustration and anger!  I'm glad you resisted the urge.  Keep up the good fight.  But sending out your resume for potential better opportunities does sound like a good plan ;).  It's really irritating to be the awesome and flexible team player...only to have people come to expect that instead of appreciating it.  Been there, done that!

At a previous job I had, one of my responsibilities was to answer the main office phone.  But it also wasn't a big deal if it just went to voicemail.  It was a small office and an engineering firm who did big (primarily government) projects, so we weren't open to the public nor would potential customers ring us up.  The phone didn't ring much and it was usually telemarketers. 

I often stayed in for lunch and, even if it was my lunch hour, I would pick up the phone if it rang, as a courtesy.  One day I went out for lunch and nobody else was there either.  The company president called (he worked out of the main Seattle office) and was all kinds of pi**ed off when he couldn't get in touch with a live person.  Never mind that all he ever wanted to know when he called the main line was, "Where is (Project Manager)?  He isn't picking up his cell."

New rules were laid down.  Everybody else could take their lunch hour whenever they wanted (to an extent).  But now, I HAD to cover the phones from 11:30-12:30 and then my manager would cover them for my specifically scheduled lunch hour of 12:30-1:30.  There was also one back-up for her lunch hour.  Special rules.  Just for me.  Awesome//sarcasm.  I already foresaw the future and made it very clear that if she was absent or whatever.  And I wasn't allowed to leave for MY lunch hour, then they either needed to pay me OT for that hour or let me leave one hour early sometime that week.  She was like "of course, but that will rarely or never happen."

The very next week, her and her back-up went jaunting off to a leisurely lunch.  They didn't return until 1:10PM.  Mmm...hmmm.  Y'all want new rules for only me.  Well then, now we are going to be a stickler for labor laws.  I took a few moments to find my zen over my anger at the ridiculous b.s I was being put through.  Practiced in my mind, the calm and professional tone I was going to use and went into her office.  I didn't even point out how late they had been.  Just pointed out that, since I hadn't been able to take my lunch, would it be better for me to charge that hour to OT or leave one hour early.  The shocked, stricken look on her face was priceless.  To give her credit, she apologized profusely and said they had just forgotten they needed to be back by 12:30.  I at least got to leave one hour early on that Friday, lol.  

yup.  I actually left my job over that and now I have my own direct line that I can choose to answer (or not to!) lol. I was back up call taker (in accounting! but lowest person on the totem pole) and was told to arrive 7:45 am "just incacse" the call taker wasn't in yet (um...how about you tell HER to be there at 7:45... we both had really short drives! about the same in distance). But she started to abuse her bathroom breaks and I was taking 1/2 hour breaks along with scheduled lunches (and we were the only ones in the company with that).  I saw her standing in sales and talking to people.  Look. I get it.  Taking calls is no fun, but your the receptionist.  Nothing was being done about it either, people took it easy on her because she had such an A-hole hubby and "hard life".  No matter how bad she did performance wise, HR would tell me she would always have a job since her home life was so bad.  I worked for a "family business".

So between that and my shitty supervisor, I left.  It took me 1.5 years to find this job but I left!

• Lala9414 said:

My Economics professor, I took her classes for both Micro and Macro, would tell us at the beginning of the term that she took about 1/3 of her test questions from our workbooks.  We didn't have to do anything with the workbooks.  They were just study guides that complimented our textbooks.  But I heeded her words and scored easy A's for the two classes I took with her.

As an aside, she was one of my all-time favorite professors.  Let's face it.  Economics can be a dry subject with some difficult concepts to understand.  But she used real world examples from current news and recent history to help explain those concepts.  She also did class exercises to show those concepts "in action".

I remember one of them where she divided the class in half.  One group was a "saver" country and the other group was a "spender" country.  We started with the same economic points of data, ie GNP, etc.  And then we all went through periods of growth, stabilization, and recession, etc.  And our economic data was adjusted accordingly through each phase.

Hint, though broad and generalized:  "Saver" countries don't grow as fast during boom times,  but lean times are less dramatic and stressful.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Lala9414, no!  Don't quit in frustration and anger!  I'm glad you resisted the urge.  Keep up the good fight.  But sending out your resume for potential better opportunities does sound like a good plan ;).  It's really irritating to be the awesome and flexible team player...only to have people come to expect that instead of appreciating it.  Been there, done that!

Stuck In Box

I know, I know lol my manager just pissed me off something good yesterday. She was trying to tell me that "I've gotten comfortable with my opening shifts and I just assume I'll be scheduled to open and had made plans. Excuse you, but no. I checked my schedule saw that I was opening and then made plans. She then proceeded to tell me that since I'm too comfortable and don't want to take my co-workers closing shift. She is just going to start scheduling me to close. Basically trying to punish me. I'm putting out my resume and I'm willing to just work 2 part time jobs because my hours for school next semester are going to be crazy.

• Lala9414 said:

Stuck In Box

I know, I know lol my manager just pissed me off something good yesterday. She was trying to tell me that "I've gotten comfortable with my opening shifts and I just assume I'll be scheduled to open and had made plans. Excuse you, but no. I checked my schedule saw that I was opening and then made plans. She then proceeded to tell me that since I'm too comfortable and don't want to take my co-workers closing shift. She is just going to start scheduling me to close. Basically trying to punish me. I'm putting out my resume and I'm willing to just work 2 part time jobs because my hours for school next semester are going to be crazy.

Out of curiosity, why does she care that you didn't choose to take your co-worker's shift?  Seems like that would be more your co-worker's problem!

The only places I've worked where people traded shifts was restaurants.  If you could find a person to take your shift, great.  If not, then you'd better show up!  The managers could have cared less which servers were willing to take other shifts and which weren't.

When I first moved to NOLA, I had a typical 9-5 f/t office job.  But also worked p/t as a server at TGIF.  If I happened to not be scheduled on a Fri. and/or Sat. night...or as I called them, the MONEY nights...I'd show up to the shift meeting.  Dressed in my uniform and ready to go.  And advertise I was ready to take someone's shift if they wanted the night off.  I usually had multiple offers and never once had to turn tail and go back home, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy people at the papermill used to trade shifts. If they couldn't get a trade they'd just call off. Supervisor would then have to try to make call ins. If nobody took it the person there was stuck. 

If that person was already at 18 hrs you'd stick the next job higher up. That person would ask for a replacement so you'd start the calls all over again.  I haaaaaated it.  The system sucked but the contract made it that way.   
  • Lala9414 said:

Stuck In Box

Out of curiosity, why does she care that you didn't choose to take your co-worker's shift?  Seems like that would be more your co-worker's problem!

The only places I've worked where people traded shifts was restaurants.  If you could find a person to take your shift, great.  If not, then you'd better show up!  The managers could have cared less which servers were willing to take other shifts and which weren't.

When I first moved to NOLA, I had a typical 9-5 f/t office job.  But also worked p/t as a server at TGIF.  If I happened to not be scheduled on a Fri. and/or Sat. night...or as I called them, the MONEY nights...I'd show up to the shift meeting.  Dressed in my uniform and ready to go.  And advertise I was ready to take someone's shift if they wanted the night off.  I usually had multiple offers and never once had to turn tail and go back home, lol.

I work at small business (it's a spa) and I'm a receptionist along with 3 other girls. Shes more upset because I always say yes and this time I said no. My coworker told my boss basically she doesn't have a babysitter and she refuses to bring the baby to work (like my boss suggested) and if no one can take her shift she basically quits. It's all actually quite dramatic, she told my coworker shes "annoyed and frustrated" because I called out sick twice last month and got my shifts covered but feels like I just don't want to work the closing shift and that's why I'm saying no. Which isn't the case at all, I had arrangements made to do something after my shift so not my problem lol. If you were to also pull up my work history I haven't called out in almost a year before my two sick days. All in all, it comes down to my boss is crazy and so are my coworkers and I'm just trying to jump ship