Wedding Woes
Options

Maid of Honor Dilemma

2»

Re: Maid of Honor Dilemma

• Options
    OP, in case you're still lurking, what is really the worst that will happen if your MOH doesn't show up the day of the wedding? All she is supposed to do is stand next to you during the ceremony! (And don't stress about having even sides; your wedding party isn't a set of props.) If it should happen that way (which I doubt), call her, make sure she's OK, and go on with your wedding!

I'm willing to say that I can understand your frustration here - to a degree. You're having an exciting big life event, and you want to share that experience with your best friend! It is a shame that it's not going the way you envisioned. However, your friend also has some luge stuff she needs to share, even if it isn't so fun. She probably could still very much use your understanding and support, even though it's been three years since she lost her boyfriend. She's probably super scared to have been alone again so suddenly, nervous about starting to date again, feeling all kinds of guilty for moving on - so many possibilities. If you care at all about this person, I think you really need to try and understand how her life is still being affected by this tragedy. Feel how you feel, because it does suck. But your feelings do not invalidate hers.

Friends grow apart, it sucks, and it happens all the time. It isn't wrong to feel this way. I think your error is that you went against your instinct and asked her to be MOH because you thought you were supposed to, not because you felt a real genuine closeness with her. What's done is done. If you were to tell her this part ("Friend, our lives are so different now that I don't feel the same friendship we used to have"), just know that it is going to be another loss in her life that will hurt and create even more grief for her. I'm all for honesty, but in this case, I really feel like the kindest thing to do is leave your bridal party as it is, lower your expectations of your friend, who is clearly still unpacking a lot, and enjoy your wedding regardless of what happens with that. If you continue to see less and less of each other afterward, fine. But there isn't really a graceful way to deliberately end this friendship, in light of what you've shared.