Wedding Woes

Turkey Tuesday

Last night was good.  H wasn't feeling good, so he was having soup leftovers.  So I stopped for pizza!  Yum!

DD had another fever while at school.  But when I mentioned she was at the doctor twice last week and she was fine.  The daycare then said, "Oh, maybe its her teeth then."  Um, yes it is!  She is breaking a 5th one through right now.  So she went back today.  We also sent in Tylenol to prevent another fever.

My office has already said they will close at 3 tomorrow.  Woot woot!

Tonight is taking Olive to the vet for her yearly appointment.  She will get her nails clipped, which she hates.  She will get drugged for it, but it always wears off as soon as she sees the clippers and her adrenaline takes over.  Afterwards, she is totally a chill dog again.  One of us will take Olive and the other will stay home with DD.  Since H is sick, I will give him the option of his choice.

DD has learned a new high pitched note and it is terrible.  Really grates after a minute.  I'm hoping she learns a newer one and a lower toned one ASAP.

Re: Turkey Tuesday

• Not much today; at work doing work things. But classes are done until next week!!!

Apartment update: roofers came yesterday and looked at everything. Allegedly they'll have things repaired by next Thursday, but not before then. So the towels and buckets remain in place. 

I need Thanksgiving app ideas. Something easy that I can do in a small kitchen with limited cookware since all of mine is still in boxes. And something that is on the lighter side. Any ideas??
  • Not much today; at work doing work things. But classes are done until next week!!!

Apartment update: roofers came yesterday and looked at everything. Allegedly they'll have things repaired by next Thursday, but not before then. So the towels and buckets remain in place. 

I need Thanksgiving app ideas. Something easy that I can do in a small kitchen with limited cookware since all of mine is still in boxes. And something that is on the lighter side. Any ideas??
    We always do shrimp cocktail. Feels fancy enough and doesn’t fill you up before the main event. And easy to pick up from the supermarket. 
  • @OliveOilsMom yikes! Teeth aren't fun :( Here's hoping to a lower pitch asap, your poor ears!

@charlotte989875 veggie or cheese tray?

@kvruns seems like a legit question ;)

Not a whole lot. I just submitted a complaint about transit by me in the evenings. It's late constantly but minimum 10mins, so I miss my next bus.
    If the weather wasn't so horrible, walking home wouldn't be an issue but with weather lately it's not an option really.

Today is pretty mild, so M is doing his tires finally. I'm brushing off the BBQ and covering it and hopefully I'll be able to bring in the patio chairs to the garage.

I also need to throw laundry in and I was hoping to clean up the kitchen or the table .... but we'll see on that. 

I swear, during the week I feel like I should do things but I have little energy by the time I get home. Yet I don't wanna do it on weekends .... lol
  • I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving.     Not that we do anything, but still.  

As far as apps.  I'm a fan of things like crackers and cheese, hummus and veggies.  Nothing big since I eat a shit ton for dinner.

Tomorrow I pick up my ski pass.  Yay.   2 weeks till I start work again.    

Sadly, I think I have cold induced asthma.   Which is not a real asthma, but I've been getting asthma like symptoms when I try and hike in the cold.  I had issues last year, but they stopped short  of figuring out exactly what I had.    Then it started to get warmer and it went away.  

I just started hiking in the cold and again and boom, started having issues breathing and lots of coughing.    I have an appointment with the doctor next week.  Hopefully we can figure out a regiment so I can continue to hike.   I have that uphill charity race in a few weeks and I really need to train outside.     Plus I like to hike up to the restaurant. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Finished grocery shopping for Thursday after working out this morning. This afternoon is my volunteer day at the local Theater. The home tour I am in charge of is the first weekend in December so it is crunch time. I will be working on that while at the Theater.

Tonight is an ecumenical Thanksgiving service. Five churches (different denominations) get together and have a joint service of Thanksgiving incorporating things from all five churches. I think this is the fourth or fifth year it has been done. It is always very uplifting. I think this year in particular it will be great to have people of somewhat differing beliefs (they are all Christian) getting together.
  • I definitely could do shrimp cocktail or cheese and crackers. It's for my in laws house, and my MIL goes ALL OUT for dinner and entertaining, so I wanted to step up my app game a little. My SIL is already bringing some type of dip. 
  • @charlotte989875,  Yeesh, over a week sounds like a long time for a roof repair.  I hope your all's weather is as rain-free as possible.

For a TG appetizer, a Caprese flatbread or on French bread?  Cut some flatbread or French bread into smaller pieces and bake until it is warm and a bit crispy.  Top with mozzarella, small piece(s) of tomato, and drizzle with a little oil and balsamic vinegar.  Probably not so light, calorie-wise, lol.  But it is a light feeling and refreshing appetizer.

Texas caviar is yummy!  And light.  If you're not familiar, black-eyed peas are the main ingredient.  Which I'm usually not even a fan of, but the other seasonings and flavors are so good, it doesn't matter.  It's generally served as a dip for crackers or veggies.  I've also eaten it as a side.  I've never made it, only eaten it.  But here is a recipe that looks right and has great reviews, though I personally would add-in some tomatoes avocados.  Just because those veggies make everything better, lol:

http://cooksrecipes.info/american-recipes/texas-caviar-recipe.htm

For my bday yesterday, my H and I went crazy at the food market.  We bought something at four different places, lol.  Some great, some okay.  The list:

• Rotiserrie chicken -- I was the most looking forward to this.  The place had great reviews.  But it was disappointing.  A whole 4lb. chicken was grossly overpriced at $15.  It did taste better than at a grocery store, but not by much.  It was NOT the "amazing" that I was led to believe, lol.  Yelp failed me.
    • Shrimp Remoulade sandwich -- Also overpriced for the fairly small portion it was.  I didn't like it all.  Remoulade sauce is normally a mild spicy.  Their remoulade was HOT.  Really spicy.  Though my H really liked it.  I took one bite and handed my half back to him, lol.  He was pleased with that turn of event.
    • One of the stalls was called "Empanola".  I thought that was cute.  It sold empanadas.  Finally, a big yum!  Though still pricy for the portion sizes.  We had a beef bourginon and a mushroom/cheese empanada.  I would go back here.  There were so many other yummy sounding empanadas to try.
    • As a side, we got Mexican street corn from a fourth vendor.  That was a big yum also!  It was coated in all these great seasonings, including chile-lime (but wasn't spicy).  And then rolled in cotija cheese crumbles.  Oh yeah!

We'll definitely be back.  There were other great sounding dishes at other stalls also.  However, the one thing the stalls seemed to have in common was high prices as compared to the portion size :(.  Come on vendors!  This is NOLA.  Not the place for "petite and pretty" food.  We get our grub on, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hooray Tuesday!

Cleaned up more from our party last night and my 6 yo helped me sweep.  This is HUGE.   I love it when she wants to get in on the gross cleaning. 

I am dealing with two customer situations at work that are making me really irritated and feeling defensive.   I don't like being grumpy and irritated and I just have to hope that the long weekend does a body good. 

Dear friends yesterday announced that their teen came out as trans.   They are such warm, compassionate parents and I know that they're going to everything they can to help their child.     My heart also aches that we have so much growing to do as a culture to begin to understand and now I feel like I need to do more reading on better ways to be an advocate.   A lot of this is very new to me and I don't want to step out of bounds or say the wrong thing because I was too ignorant to look up the right thing. 

• Apps- shrimp cocktail, veggies

i just made 7 dozen peanut butter blossoms, 3 dozen pumpkin muffins, apple peanut butter dip, 6 lbs of apples. Now lunch then I've got s bunch of cheese, summer sausage, and veggies to chop.  Headed out tomorrow at 10 am!

• continuing my recent cooking adventures (a couple of weeks ago, i tried mi vit tiem - vitetnamese duck soup, and calabrian rabbit):
    I'm making beef tacos de lengua (beef tongue tacos) for dinner tonight. I braised the tongue overnight in the crock pot, and will make some salsa in a little while. Recipe sounded great, so we'll see how it turns out. I also got a nice sized piece of pork belly (~ 3lbs) and am going to try to make bacon. The belly is in the cure right now (a nice mix of sweet and savory flavors  with bourbon mixed in), and after curing will wash, dry, and smoke it. 
  • @charlotte989875 another app idea could be a brushetta. Although that depends on the amount of people. Cheese tray can also have some cold cuts if you want to add to it.
  • 6fsn said:
    Apps- shrimp cocktail, veggies

i just made 7 dozen peanut butter blossoms, 3 dozen pumpkin muffins, apple peanut butter dip, 6 lbs of apples. Now lunch then I've got s bunch of cheese, summer sausage, and veggies to chop.  Headed out tomorrow at 10 am!

Mmmm I'm following you! ;)

Idk what it is about summer sausage but it's so good lol
  • Apps: asparagus w/ prosciutto in a blanket. (Friend showed me on Pinterest but I don’t have a link) looked fancy and easy. Otherwise I saw an awesome looking cranberry/jalapeño/ cream cheese dip, but you said SIL was already bringing a dip and it is not that light, lol. I second Texas Caviar ( though I make mine avocado/ corn heavy compared to beans)

Today I went grocery shopping. I found everything but applesauce and good looking green beans. 

DH set up a vpn on our chromebox to try to watch football since the NFL won’t allow their shit to be viewed out of the US (maybe there is an extra package I can buy here but I have Prime damnit ) No such luck, amazon can detect the proxy. :( I appreciate him trying though.
  • Apps: asparagus w/ prosciutto in a blanket. (Friend showed me on Pinterest but I don’t have a link) looked fancy and easy. Otherwise I saw an awesome looking cranberry/jalapeño/ cream cheese dip, but you said SIL was already bringing a dip and it is not that light, lol. I second Texas Caviar ( though I make mine avocado/ corn heavy compared to beans)

Today I went grocery shopping. I found everything but applesauce and good looking green beans. 

DH set up a vpn on our chromebox to try to watch football since the NFL won’t allow their shit to be viewed out of the US (maybe there is an extra package I can buy here but I have Prime damnit ) No such luck, amazon can detect the proxy. :( I appreciate him trying though.
    I find it strange you couldn't find applesauce. Is this a popular thanksgiving staple or just randomly out of stock?
  • @charlotte989875 It's cheating, but I had Trader Joe's Stuffed Mushrooms as an app last year and they were a hit. I also love THIS Baked Brie en Croute from WS. I add a little cinnamon to the cardamon. So good. 

Yesterday I worked straight from 7 am to 1:30 am. I'm tired, but not as tired as I was scared I'd be. We'll see how I feel tomorrow though. I'm trying to clean the house, which involved using our new carpet cleaner...somewhat successfully. To be fair, it's been a year, a lot of dirt, and some spilled red wine. Unfortunately one of our carpets smells like wet dog now....so maybe cleaning it was a bad idea. 

I'm debating making enchiladas today, and I need to make my sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. I work from 7-7:30 on Thursday, but I figured I would have at least one homemade dish in the sea of pre-made/frozen dishes. SO and I are just going to have a small TG together, so I got the pre-brined turkey breasts from TJ, some frozen Mac N Cheese, pre-made mashed potatoes from Costco, and canned cranberries. It will take all of 45 minutes to throw together on TG day when I get home. It feels weird, considering I'm a pretty big "from scratch" person. Last year every dish (minus appetizers) were from scratch. 

I just spent 30 minutes arguing with Cuisanart over a broken product. They wanted to charge me $40 for a replacement part. I said no to that nonsense and got a supervisor to give it to me for free with shipping included. Eff that noise. You guys made a shitty product. I'm not paying $300 for the product, plus extra when it breaks. 

Oh, and if anyone wants a fall sangria recipe that makes the holidays bearable/hits you hard and unexpectedly, let me know. 

• @levioosa kudos to being a functioning human :) I have a love/hate with cleaning my floors. Hardwood or carpets. It always makes me wish I had done it more before and yet never again lol
  • edited November 2017
    Apps: asparagus w/ prosciutto in a blanket. (Friend showed me on Pinterest but I don’t have a link) looked fancy and easy. Otherwise I saw an awesome looking cranberry/jalapeño/ cream cheese dip, but you said SIL was already bringing a dip and it is not that light, lol. I second Texas Caviar ( though I make mine avocado/ corn heavy compared to beans)

I find it strange you couldn't find applesauce. Is this a popular thanksgiving staple or just randomly out of stock?
    Probably just not widely carried in the Middle East?? I know I have seen jars of it before (not big jars like we get in the US) but I couldn’t find them today. The stores are stocked up on other things (gravy mix, fried onions, cans of pumpkin) but other things, not so much.

sometimes even when you think you found what you are looking for it is “wrong”, lol. Like Australians consider Spite to be lemonade and lemonade is called something else, lemon juice maybe?? Idk.

@levioosa I would like the recipe please. :)

Do you live near a trader joes? Fancy meats, fancy cheeses and fancy crackers are reasonably rpiced there, super easy to put out, no heat neccessary, and youll look fancy becaus eyou brought it!

• I went to the store last night and it was a zoo.  But it will just get worse each day.  I think we're ready for Thursday.  I may need to run out for a few odds and ends for Saturday, but I can go Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. 

I did find out today that I have Friday off. They hemmed and hawed this year on whether or not half my team would get it off.  That means I work next year, but ah well.  I'll take every other year. 

I'm ridiculously tired today and I have no idea why.  We have a lot of little stuff to get done around the house for the weekend.  And I have to make a pie.  All I want is a nap.  
  • I sent DH an email yesterday, outlining our upcoming plans (cause he likes details on paper), and we're basically busy every weekend between now and Christmas.  I'm most looking forward to a ski weekend away, but haven't decided yet if I want to bring the turdler along (I think it'll depend on whether or not I'm pregnant at that point as I won't want to ski hard if I am, so I might as well spend the days on and off the hill in green acres with her).  Not holding my breath on a positive test, but I'm hopeful it's our time again.

I left my phone at home today, so I'm basically naked and not loving it, although my productivity is up slightly.

• OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    MJL - Do you have a crock pot?  If you can get some apples, you could make applesauce from scratch.  It's really not that difficult. 
  • MJL - Do you have a crock pot?  If you can get some apples, you could make applesauce from scratch.  It's really not that difficult. 
    I made some last month and it turned out amazing.  Just watch the amount of water.  I drained mine a little bit because I wanted it thicker.  Throw a few cinnamon sticks in there if you want to 'spice' it up.  ;)

Also, I added a tiny bit of sugar at the end when it was still warm.  It only needed a touch.  
  • lnixon8 said:
    Not much today; at work doing work things. But classes are done until next week!!!

Do you live near a trader joes? Fancy meats, fancy cheeses and fancy crackers are reasonably rpiced there, super easy to put out, no heat neccessary, and youll look fancy becaus eyou brought it!
    Or Aldi's!  They excellent goat cheese and fancy crackers.  
  • MJL - Do you have a crock pot?  If you can get some apples, you could make applesauce from scratch.  It's really not that difficult. 
    I do but I am not that worried about it. I have to go to the big supermarket in search of good looking green beans so I will probably find some applesauce then. If not, of well.
  • Helloooooo! Just a quick check-in before Thanksgiving - I hope everyone has a nice and relaxing holiday!

My office is closing at Noon tomorrow, and my cousin's flight from NY lands at 1:30, so I am thinking of bringing shower stuff to work (we have a gym and locker rooms) and getting in a shower at work and blow-drying my hair. It's hard to grab an extra minute to shower with Babypants, PLUS we are hosting on Thursday so I will be bustling around. 

I still haven't gotten my Sephora order, which I placed last Monday (SO ANNOYING) - and it hasn't even shipped so I am going to give them a call this afternoon to find out what's up.

I'm working from home this afternoon because I accidentally left two of my pump parts at home (in the drying rack in my kitchen from being cleaned last night), and didn't realize until I got to the office this morning. Arrrghh. Plus I have a horrible sore throat so being at home by myself gives me a good opportunity to rest my voice. 
    I do but I am not that worried about it. I have to go to the big supermarket in search of good looking green beans so I will probably find some applesauce then. If not, of well.

The story of the first time I had green bean casserole.

Never heard of this dish until I was in college.  We had a potluck where I was working, the week before TG.  Someone brought green bean casserole.  I loved it!  I exclaimed about it to the coworker and asked what it was called.  I sensed a bit of confusion as she said, "It's just green bean casserole."

I was still living with my parents and hurried home to tell my mother, a very experienced and excellent cook, about this amazing dish called Green Bean Casserole.

Her response, "Oh yeah.  Green bean casserole.  It's a pretty traditional TG side dish."

I look at her with slitted, suspicious eyes and asked, "What do you mean it is a traditional TG side dish?  We've never had it."

Her, "I don't like green bean casserole, so I've never made it."

In a pouty and defeated tone, filled with feelings of betrayal, I said, "I like green bean casserole."

And then I married a man who also doesn't like green bean casserole either.  Goddamnit, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @sparklepants41 you mean you get to shower without interruptions!?
  • I still haven't gotten my Sephora order, which I placed last Monday (SO ANNOYING) - and it hasn't even shipped so I am going to give them a call this afternoon to find out what's up.
    I hate ordering online from Sephora cause it always takes way longer than it's supposed to (and their Borderfree method of shipping to Canada means I don't get accurate tracking information).... but the nearest store is a 30 minute drive away, so my lazy ass will continue to order online.