Wedding Woes

Turkey Tuesday

2»

Re: Turkey Tuesday

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2017
    MJL - Do you have a crock pot?  If you can get some apples, you could make applesauce from scratch.  It's really not that difficult. 
    I do but I am not that worried about it. I have to go to the big supermarket in search of good looking green beans so I will probably find some applesauce then. If not, of well.

The story of the first time I had green bean casserole.

Never heard of this dish until I was in college.  We had a potluck where I was working, the week before TG.  Someone brought green bean casserole.  I loved it!  I exclaimed about it to the coworker and asked what it was called.  I sensed a bit of confusion as she said, "It's just green bean casserole."

I was still living with my parents and hurried home to tell my mother, a very experienced and excellent cook, about this amazing dish called Green Bean Casserole.

Her response, "Oh yeah.  Green bean casserole.  It's a pretty traditional TG side dish."

I look at her with slitted, suspicious eyes and asked, "What do you mean it is a traditional TG side dish?  We've never had it."

Her, "I don't like green bean casserole, so I've never made it."

In a pouty and defeated tone, filled with feelings of betrayal, I said, "I like green bean casserole."

And then I married a man who also doesn't like green bean casserole either.  Goddamnit, lol.

We never had it growing up, probably because my mom's not a fan either.  Our veggies were broccoli and carrots with cheese sauce.  ;)  But MIL made it every Thanksgiving and I love it.  We always make it with DH's family when we do TG with them. 
  • edited November 2017
    @short+sassy I am not actually making green bean casserole *eeek*. Great beans are my favorite but just cooked in garlic and butter.... I almost feel bad for not making it for my guests to try but.... green beans are my favorite, lol. Maybe next year

eta: I really like GB casserole but given the choice I prefer the lighter version.

• jh715 said:
    I still haven't gotten my Sephora order, which I placed last Monday (SO ANNOYING) - and it hasn't even shipped so I am going to give them a call this afternoon to find out what's up.
    I hate ordering online from Sephora cause it always takes way longer than it's supposed to (and their Borderfree method of shipping to Canada means I don't get accurate tracking information).... but the nearest store is a 30 minute drive away, so my lazy ass will continue to order online.

I ordered on the 20th and it still hasn't shipped. I ordered again on Sunday, and it said due to high volume there was at least a 5 day delay on processing orders. 
  • @short+sassy I am not actually making green bean casserole *eeek*. Great beans are my favorite but just cooked in garlic and butter.... I almost feel bad for not making it for my guests to try but.... green beans are my favorite, lol. Maybe next year

eta: I really like GB casserole but given the choice I prefer the lighter version.

I think anything with garlic and butter is an automatic forgiven, lol.

I noticed you are getting fresh green beans.

I've made green bean casserole a couple times...despite my H.  But I'm lazy and used frozen.

He asked why I wasn't using fresh green beans.  I look at him blankly and say, "Because I've always gotten them frozen.  Are fresh ones like pea pods or is that different?"  I knew it was different, but had to mess with him.

He laughs, rolls his eyes, and says I should have grown up closer to a farm.  He grew up in farmland.  I was not anywhere near.  It's a running joke in our household. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My credit card was compromised.    They cancelled the card this morning.  7-10 days for a new card. 

I have other cards, but this is my only one with cash back and well, Friday is Black Friday.   Was going to try and get a few gifts out of the way.   I was also paying for my $500 seasonal bus card today.     :(    

Damn whomever took my card information and making me lose out on cash back.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • jh715 said:
    I still haven't gotten my Sephora order, which I placed last Monday (SO ANNOYING) - and it hasn't even shipped so I am going to give them a call this afternoon to find out what's up.
    I hate ordering online from Sephora cause it always takes way longer than it's supposed to (and their Borderfree method of shipping to Canada means I don't get accurate tracking information).... but the nearest store is a 30 minute drive away, so my lazy ass will continue to order online.
    It just defeats the purpose of ordering online IMO. What kind of multi-billion dollar company makes it the customers' problem if they can't handle the volume around the holidays? Other than the cable company of course...
  • lyndausvi said:
    My credit card was compromised.    They cancelled the card this morning.  7-10 days for a new card. 

I have other cards, but this is my only one with cash back and well, Friday is Black Friday.   Was going to try and get a few gifts out of the way.   I was also paying for my $500 seasonal bus card today.     :(    

That's the worst. 

• jh715 said:

I ordered on the 20th and it still hasn't shipped. I ordered again on Sunday, and it said due to high volume there was at least a 5 day delay on processing orders. 
    That's so bullshit. 

@lyndausvi that really sucks about your card! I've had that happen to me twice. It's such a violation. 

• jh715 said:

That's so bullshit. 

@lyndausvi that really sucks about your card! I've had that happen to me twice. It's such a violation. 
    So annoying.   2 of my utility auto-pays were set to process today.  So I had to scramble to give them new information before they post.    

Because it's cash back, I pay all my bills through them.  At least all the others have already posted.  I just have to remember to change them when I get the new card.

I know I'm not doing much these days, but it's still an inconvenience.  

Right now I'm eating a Dunkin Hines cake in a cup.   I have to say it's tasty.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @charlotte989875   - Just saw a Facebook food video.  It was cranberry brie bits.  Looks great and easy.  Of course, I have a thing for cranberry and puffy pastry. 

Speaking of FB food videos, my favorite is the homemade ice one.  LOL

• Sucks about the credit card Lynda, but yay for Dunkin Hines!
  • lyndausvi said:
    My credit card was compromised.    They cancelled the card this morning.  7-10 days for a new card. 

I'm so sorry to hear that!  And it is such BAD timing.  Lame!

I had that happen to me once and my H had it happen to him twice.  With me, it was actually the credit card company who caught it and called me about it.  They called me within one hour of the first suspicious charge!  I was impressed.

I'm surprised your 'cc company didn't expedite the card!!!  That was my experience.  They sent it Priority mail (something like that) and I got it in 2 or 3 days.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

I had that happen to me once and my H had it happen to him twice.  With me, it was actually the credit card company who caught it and called me about it.  They called me within one hour of the first suspicious charge!  I was impressed.

I'm surprised your 'cc company didn't expedite the card!!!  That was my experience.  They sent it Priority mail (something like that) and I got it in 2 or 3 days.

The company is the one who caught the charge.  It was for $31+ of iTunes.  I do not have an iPhone and have no need for iTunes.   

As far as the timing.  I should have asked for priority.  Wasn't completely thinking straight when they called.  Maybe I can call back and get them to speed up the process.

• It just defeats the purpose of ordering online IMO. What kind of multi-billion dollar company makes it the customers' problem if they can't handle the volume around the holidays? Other than the cable company of course...

In my area, Cox Communications is the ONLY cable company to "choose" from.  No DSL either.  Satellite is the only other option.

It's been a tough, but valuable, lesson to me.  To just how important anti-trust laws are.  We take them for granted and shouldn't.  Let me tell you what monopolies...like Cox Communications...do:

• Could care LESS about what their customers want or their customer support.  I mean, why should they?  There is nobody else.
    • Charge astronomical prices for sub-par, dysfunctional service. 
    • Throw in fake charges, hoping they aren't caught.  And then make customers fight tooth and nail for 30+ minutes to remove the error.
    • Specifically for cable companies.  Not enough to just buy their service.  Nope.  You HAVE to rent their POS equipment also.  With a fake retail price of $400.  Never mind you can get a much better DVR for $100.  But no, no, no.  Only their DVRs and cable boxes work with their system.  At a rental price of $40+/month.  Just the rental price, smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

:'( Truly.
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

The company is the one who caught the charge.  It was for $31+ of iTunes.  I do not have an iPhone and have no need for iTunes.   

As far as the timing.  I should have asked for priority.  Wasn't completely thinking straight when they called.  Maybe I can call back and get them to speed up the process.

Definitely!  Play the sad card of having to put off holiday shopping.  Anybody would sympathize with that ;).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some may remember me posting about receiving 2 pairs of black LulaRoe leggings when I ordered 1. I messaged the seller last week and she still hasn’t responded. 
  • Dammit.  Chiquito started the stomach bug tonight.
  • Oh no Banana :(
  • banana468 said:
    Dammit.  Chiquito started the stomach bug tonight.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hope he's better soon.
  • Appetizer, try an antipasto platter. There's a delicious one in an old Taste of Home magazine of mine. Look up Marinated Olive and Cheese Ring on their website. 

We never did green bean casserole growing up. I made it for a Thanskgiving at someone else's place and I hated it.

I dropped H off at work the morning and went to the store right after at 8:15. It was almost empty, which was great! I got him and realized we need toilet paper. And now H wants us to make a cherry pie in addition to pumpkin. So I might go early again tomorrow and try to avoid the crowd. 
  • I asked my friends if they have ever had green bean casserole and they all said no. So now I am making it, lol. I couldn’t find french’s fried onions though. I am too chicken shit to try a different brand (they didn’t look good) and too lazy to run around town looking for them, so I am attempting to fry them myself. 

FX for a quick recovery @banana468
  • I asked my friends if they have ever had green bean casserole and they all said no. So now I am making it, lol. I couldn’t find french’s fried onions though. I am too chicken shit to try a different brand (they didn’t look good) and too lazy to run around town looking for them, so I am attempting to fry them myself. 

FX for a quick recovery @banana468
    If you have an aldi I prefer their fried onions