Chit Chat

When do you wear your rings? (Also some advice please)

2»

Re: When do you wear your rings? (Also some advice please)

• So I literally just got engaged on Sunday but I had worn a promise ring for the last 7 years or so so that when the time came I'd be used to having a ring on my finger. The only time the ring was ever off my ring was when I went to bed, showering, washing my hands and going to pole dance classes. Even now with a brand new ring, those are still the only times it's off of me. I think it's personal preference to how and when you wear your ring.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Exciting news :smile:
  • I have a bad history of losing jewelry - especially earrings - if I ever take it off. So I wear thin gold necklaces, diamond studs and yes, my engagement and wedding rings all the time. I very rarely remove jewelry, even when swimming, cleaning etc. For a special occasion I may swap out the necklaces and earrings for something fancier but that's rare.

I had a scare with my engagement ring shortly after getting married. I took it off along with my watch & left it with my car key & sunglasses in a cupboard every day we were working on our project house. One afternoon I came back to the cupboard and the key and other stuff was swept aside. Ring missing. I knew MIL had been "cleaning" and that no one else would move my stuff but strangely she wouldn't admit to touching anything on that particular shelf. Calmly I found the massive garbage can, shop-vac, regular vacuum, emptied them and eventually found the ring at the bottom of the trash barrel. It's never left my finger since.

It was strange getting used to wearing it the first few months -- it would get caught on my sleeves when I dressed and that sort of thing. I eventually got used to it and remember not to fist bump with my left hand, for example. I'm much more scared of losing the ring than slightly damaging it with everyday use.

• I have a bad history of losing jewelry - especially earrings - if I ever take it off. So I wear thin gold necklaces, diamond studs and yes, my engagement and wedding rings all the time. I very rarely remove jewelry, even when swimming, cleaning etc. For a special occasion I may swap out the necklaces and earrings for something fancier but that's rare.

I had a scare with my engagement ring shortly after getting married. I took it off along with my watch & left it with my car key & sunglasses in a cupboard every day we were working on our project house. One afternoon I came back to the cupboard and the key and other stuff was swept aside. Ring missing. I knew MIL had been "cleaning" and that no one else would move my stuff but strangely she wouldn't admit to touching anything on that particular shelf. Calmly I found the massive garbage can, shop-vac, regular vacuum, emptied them and eventually found the ring at the bottom of the trash barrel. It's never left my finger since.

It was strange getting used to wearing it the first few months -- it would get caught on my sleeves when I dressed and that sort of thing. I eventually got used to it and remember not to fist bump with my left hand, for example. I'm much more scared of losing the ring than slightly damaging it with everyday use.

So scary!!!  That must have been such a relief to have found it again.  Yikes!

I had a former coworker who would take her rings off in the bathroom to wash her hands, but forgot them on the sink counter many times.  She'd usually remember within the hour and go rushing back in.  Or one of us would see them there and bring them back to her, lol.  But still, it's a miracle they were never lost or stolen!  It was an office building with multiple tenants who used that bathroom.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wasn't there a poster here who lost her engagement ring and later found it when she was moving out of her house? I think her cat batted it around and it was behind/under some furniture. 
    That's definitely a hazard of taking it on and off rather than keeping it on at all times...

• Congrats on your engagement!  
    I wear my slim wedding band all the time (I only take it off if I’m showering or have my hands immersed in something I’m cooking or baking).  I wear my bigger, more noticeable engagement ring when I’m at a fancy event wearing my other jewelry too (earrings etc). 
  • Many years ago, our house was invaded and robbed by juveniles.  They weren't caught.  They took two rings from my jewelry box - ironically the least valuable ones, but one did have a lot of sentimental value.

The first ring was insured, and eventually it was replaced.  The other ring (my late father's) was unique and could not be replaced.

Lesson learned - if it is on my finger, it is safe.  I know where it is.  I never take my engagement/wedding rings off except to clean them.  For surgeries, DH holds them until I wake up.

My other rings live in my home safe unless I am wearing them.  (I love rings!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My rings are not soldered, and both of them are on my finger 99% of the time.  I wash my hands, shower, sleep, work, workout and really don't worry about taking them off.  I can't imagine taking them on and off that many times a day - I would absolutely lose them. Occasionally I will take it back to the jeweler for a few days to have them clean, polish, and rhodium plate (I have white gold and diamond rings) and they look brand new again.  
  • Wow, engagement. Congratulations!!!
  • Well, you can't change his mind. However, have you tried proposing to him to get a similar ring to wear at work so you don't ruin it?