Attire & Accessories Forum

Advice Please!!! Slit skirt for gown - Yes or No?

Hi Knot crew!  

This is my first post, definitely wish I would have reached out for advice sooner as I'm one of the most indecisive people of life. 

I'll cut to it -- I'm short. I'm getting married in New Orleans. I've fallen in love with the look of skirts with slits. I'm having my dress made custom and I'm going with a bigger, handkerchief skirt, similar to this: 

My reason for writing is this -- 

HAS ANYONE WORN A DRESS WITH A SLIT FOR A BIG OCCASION, AND CAME TO REGRET IT? 

I have a nagging feeling that it may be harder to walk in, or won't fall/drape properly at certain times for certain photos, etc.

Hoping for anyone with some slit skirts in their history to lend advice / words of wisdom. I am a true overthinker so if I'm being crazy, feel free to tell me that too :)

Much love and appreciation for taking the time to read and respond! xox

- Elizabeth

Re: Advice Please!!! Slit skirt for gown - Yes or No?

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2017
    If anything, I would think a slit would be easier to walk in! Slits usually make dresses easier.

No, I never have. 

Personally, if you want to, you can. If you're having a ceremony in a church, I'd advise against a slit as high as is in the photo. Generally, even if churches don't have specific dress requirements, it's a good policy to dress a bit conservatively. 

I guess it depends on what you mean by not draping properly in photos. Do you mean you want your leg not to show in photos? That would depend on how it's sewn. That particular skirt in the photo I think would hide your leg pretty well. You can see at the waist that the two sides overlap. Other slots, particularly ones that are just a slit cut up a piece of fabric and hemmed, wouldn't as well. 

• I guess it depends on what you mean by not draping properly in photos. Do you mean you want your leg not to show in photos? That would depend on how it's sewn. That particular skirt in the photo I think would hide your leg pretty well. You can see at the waist that the two sides overlap. Other slots, particularly ones that are just a slit cut up a piece of fabric and hemmed, wouldn't as well. 
    I figured she meant the opposite--that she'd want her leg to show (to show there's a slit) in photos. That's going to be tough without posing with one leg out a la Angelina Jolie (see pic) which you would likely come to regret. You can hire a photographer who's good at action shots, though, and make sure you get some of you walking and moving where you can see the slit. 

Image result for angelina jolie slit
  • I have worn slits a few times to formal events/fundraisers, but never to a wedding (my own or others). I really like the skirt of the pic you posted. It's there but it's understated - better for a wedding.

This may just be me, but if you do a slit, I would balance the "sexy" with a conservative top. IMO, Jessica Rabbit is really the only one who can pull off showcasing all 3 points of sexy (legs, cleavage, back). 

Note how most of the pictures with models and celebrities posing with slits, they're either walking or their leg is dramatically and unnaturally out to the side. Consider how that might look for wedding photos. I would make sure the seamstress fashions the dress so that if you aren't walking or standing unnaturally, the skirt falls in a way that looks good and not "half done" if that makes sense.
    *********************************************************************************

• Either way to tell you.

• Great points about posing!  Thank you for your responses!  The slit serves multiple purposes - ventilation, helping create the 'illusion' of height (I'm 5'2!), and downplaying the 'full ball gown' look to be something a bit more fun.  I don't plan on having the slit quite that high, but we're having an outdoor ceremony at our reception venue so modesty isn't a huge factor.   I ultimately think that for photos I'd prefer the skirt to mostly fall together, but like one of the comments pointed out, the way the example is layered, it seems like that would be the case. 

Thank you!  xox
  • If the dress is fitted properly, it'll lay such that you won't know there's a slit there unless you exaggerate it.  I've worn slits and IMO they're actually easier to walk in, that said, the most important thing to remember since you're having it done custom is not to go too high with the slit..  Lower to mid-thigh at the highest (adjust to your body's proportions)