edited December 2017 in Wedding Woes
faves:

Krampus
A Christmas Horror Story
Black Christmas
NL Christmas Vacation
Home Alone
Elf

I really don't get into the classics like "wonderful life", "miracle on 34th street" or "white Christmas" (find that one so boring!)  but I do love me "A Christmas Story".

Re: Holiday Movies

• Like:
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Elf
    Cheesy Hallmark movies (ha)

Take it or leave it:
    Christmas Vacation
    Grinch cartoon

Not a fan:
    A Christmas Story
    White Christmas
    Grinch real people

I've never watched It's a Wonderful Life

• Oh cheesy Hallmark Movies are a category of their own! Have you seen "The Christmas Prince" on Netflix yet?  Well, I have (kinda sorta it was on background). I think just a few people (53) saw it and netflix was shaming their own customers.  The story is funny:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42323366

• The Santa Clause; Love Actually. 
  • My favorite movie genre is romantic comedy, so I love Christmas movies that would just be rom-com’s if they didn’t take place during Christmas- Love Actually, The Family Stone.

My favorite classics are The Grinch (animated) and Charlie Brown Christmas.
  • I generally don't watch movies more than once.  And that also goes for Christmas movies.

But I did like:

• Christmas Vacation (I like all the Vacation movies)
    • It's a Wonderful Life.  I more like this movie, not because of the "make me gag heartwarming" Christmas story, but I have a fascination with the idea of "what would happen if people took different paths in their lives".
    • Elf
    • A Christmas Story.  I'm planning to tape or watch the "live" version going on this Sunday.  I like a lot of the actors/actresses in it.

Don't forget Christmas cartoons!  I pretty much like all of them, except Charlie Brown ones.  I just don't like Charlie Brown, in general.  My absolute fave...I don't even know what the title is...but it has the two little bears who don't want to hibernate because they want to meet Santa.

Home Alone is one of my all-time least favorite movies.  Christmas or otherwise.  I was rooting for the thieves over that obnoxious child.  Plus, it's just hard for me to get over the outlandish premise of the whole movie.  That no one called the police.  Not the child.  Not the parents, when they realized they forgot their child.  And the fact that they didn't notice he was gone for as long as they did.  Mmm..hmm. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam I saw that Netflix was trolling people about it though I haven't watched that movie
  • I generally don't watch movies more than once.  And that also goes for Christmas movies.

But I did like:

• Christmas Vacation (I like all the Vacation movies)
    • It's a Wonderful Life.  I more like this movie, not because of the "make me gag heartwarming" Christmas story, but I have a fascination with the idea of "what would happen if people took different paths in their lives".
    • Elf
    • A Christmas Story.  I'm planning to tape or watch the "live" version going on this Sunday.  I like a lot of the actors/actresses in it.

Don't forget Christmas cartoons!  I pretty much like all of them, except Charlie Brown ones.  I just don't like Charlie Brown, in general.  My absolute fave...I don't even know what the title is...but it has the two little bears who don't want to hibernate because they want to meet Santa.

Home Alone is one of my all-time least favorite movies.  Christmas or otherwise.  I was rooting for the thieves over that obnoxious child.  Plus, it's just hard for me to get over the outlandish premise of the whole movie.  That no one called the police.  Not the child.  Not the parents, when they realized they forgot their child.  And the fact that they didn't notice he was gone for as long as they did.  Mmm..hmm. 

On the 16th, we're renting "Better watch out".  It's a cross of Home Alone and Scream....so I have high hopes for it, obviously. 

• Home Alone (and only the first one)

That's literally it. I've watched a lot of the others....and it's not like I DISlike them. I just don't love them or care enough about them to make them a holiday tradition.

You know, I've never seen A Christmas Story the whole way though. Bits and pieces on TV, but not the whole thing. Ever. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I literally wrote my thesis in college on Christmas movies.  It's an actual struggle for me to not watch all year long. 

Faves: 
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Animated Grinch
    Elf
    The Santa Clause
    Rudolph

Least faves:
    Polar Express
    Live action Grinch
    Sequels to The Santa Clause

My mom and I also count Little Women as a Christmas movie, so I'll add that to a fave.
  • Faves:
    Muppets Christmas Carol
    The Grinch {live action}
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Love Actually

Movies I Typically Only Watch with my mum:
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Shrek the Halls {she lovvessss Shrek lmao}
    Polar Express
    Grinch {cartoon}

Shows:
    Rudolph
    Frosty
    Frosty Returns (not a fan but I still watch)
  • Faves:
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (my favorite by far)
    Elf
    Polar Express
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    White Christmas

Take or Leave:
    A Christmas Story - I'm glad that I saw it.  I don't feel the need to see it again and I'm not drawn to it. 
    Home Alone (ditto above)

I enjoy White Christmas and It's A Wonderful Life.   

• No one has mentioned Scrooged and it makes me so sad.  It's one of the best movies ever!!

Krampus was terrible!

• @Ro041 Do you mean the one with Bill Murray or original with Alistair Simms?
  • I've never seen the Grinch movie.  But the Grinch cartoon from my childhood is another one I like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger - the one with Bill Murray.  It's a classic!!! 

The one with Alistair Simms is Scrooge (no D).

• @short+sassy  you've never seen the live version? It's good. More back story on the Grinch and why he hates Christmas, etc etc. If you see it on netflix, watch it.

@Ro041 I've heard people call them both the opposite, hence why I wanted to double check.
    My mum likes the Bill Murray version, I'm 'enh' with it. If I'm at her place while it's on, I'll watch but otherwise nah.
  • Love:
    Home Alone
    Elf (but I watch this year-round lol)
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Grinch cartoon (actually got to see it this year!!)
    Charlie Brown Christmas

Take Or Leave:
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    A Christmas Story (H looooooooooves this movie)
    Home Alone 2 Lost In New York (and that's where I draw the line)
    Rudolph (his parents and the other reindeer are so mean to him!!)
    Four Christmases

Meh:
    Grinch with Jim Carrey
    Frosty the Snowman
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Polar Express (I love the book and I love me some Tom Hanks, but the animation in this movie is just so creepy)

• Faves:
    Rudolph
    Grinch (cartoon)
    Charlie Brown
    It's a Wonderful Life

Meh:
    Frosty
    Real Life Grinch

I agree Hallmark movies are in their own categories.
  • scribe95 said:
    Hallmark movies for the win! They keep me sane. Formulaic, cheesy and awesome.

Otherwise i love Elf, Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas. 

Agree Hallmark movies are a separate category, though I don't care for them because they are formulaic and cheesy.  But I can understand the love!

My formulaic, cheese love is for the "suspense" Lifetime movies.  Where a (teacher, spouse, student, stepparent, stepchild, friend, or coworker) is stalking and terrorizing their (teacher, spouse, student, stepparent, stepchild, friend, or coworker).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DIE HARD!!!

Hans! Bubbe! **creepy Ellis voice**
  • BoJack Horseman: Sabrina's Christmas Wish

• I'd have to say my favorite are Miracle on 34th Street (the original one) and It's A Wonderful Life. I'll admit to having a soft spot for Home Alone, probably because it takes me back to childhood; it's the first Christmas movie I really remember watching. 

To be honest, I don't get the fascination with A Christmas Story. I thought it had a few amusing moments, but that was it. 
  • 100% Die Hard!

Older/oldest versions (because I'm older/oldest) of....
    A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen
    Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara
    The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant
    An Affair to Remember and Meet Me in St. Louis (not  "official" Christmas movies but their Christmas scenes are memorable for me.....)

Home Alone (the elderly neighbor gets me EVERY time)
    The Santa Claus
    Elf

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer...love the Bumble!
    Chuck Brown for the music!
  • @MobKaz, there are four cities I don't think I could ever live in...because of the strong song association in my head, lol.  I'll be showing my mom's penchant for torturing me with musicals as a child:

St. Louis, MI -- "Meet Me in St. Louis" -- song from the musical by the same name <<...meet me at the fair.  NO!  Stop!>>

Gary, IN -- "Gary, Indiana" -- from the Music Man movie

Chattanooga, TN -- "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" -- Don't know where this song comes from, but it haunts me every time I hear the word "Chattanooga"

Cincinnati, OH -- "Cincinnati WKRP" -- theme song to the tv show "WKRP"

I sincerely hope it is just me who gets those songs stuck in my head and I haven't scarred anyone else with this post.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MobKaz The Bishop's Wife is such a sweet movie. That was my introduction to Cary Grant when I was a kid! 
  • Home Alone, hands down.  Not sure why, since I haven't watched it in forever until the last few years.  But it has my favourite Christmas song in it.  Elf, which is always good and I'll take Die Hard too, though I don't actually consider it a Christmas movie.  I don't think I actually saw Die Hard until about 5 years ago.  I think it was a touch before my time as a kid

• Home Alone, Elf, The Holiday, White Christmas, The Santa Clause and all cheesy Hallmark/Lifetime movies are my favourites. 

I dont like Miracle or A Christmas Story. 
  • @MobKaz, there are four cities I don't think I could ever live in...because of the strong song association in my head, lol.  I'll be showing my mom's penchant for torturing me with musicals as a child:

St. Louis, MI -- "Meet Me in St. Louis" -- song from the musical by the same name <<...meet me at the fair.  NO!  Stop!>>

Gary, IN -- "Gary, Indiana" -- from the Music Man movie

Chattanooga, TN -- "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" -- Don't know where this song comes from, but it haunts me every time I hear the word "Chattanooga"

Cincinnati, OH -- "Cincinnati WKRP" -- theme song to the tv show "WKRP"

I sincerely hope it is just me who gets those songs stuck in my head and I haven't scarred anyone else with this post.

There's way more reasons to not want to live in Gary besides that.

Sorry any Gary people on here.  Although...I'm sure you're there because you can't get out.