Registry and Gift Forum

Don't Have/Want a Registry, but Aunt Insists?

My out-of-town Aunt is throwing me a shower last minute. I was under the impression it was a relabeled family Christmas party (as we were already doing that), but now she's asking about gifts. I have no registry, nor do I want one. I tried to tell her that if anyone wants to give us something cash is preferred, but she's insisting. Do I go ahead and make a small registry or tell her it's not happening? Halp :/
"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.... It means no." -Alistair, Dragon Age Origins

Re: Don't Have/Want a Registry, but Aunt Insists?

• If you don’t want gifts don’t have a shower. Showers are not for cash. 
  • It is perfectly fine to have a shower without a registry. You don't have to make one in order to have a shower. However, you will get physical gifts. That's what showers are for, so it should be declined unless you're ok with that. 
  • It is perfectly fine to have a shower without a registry. You don't have to make one in order to have a shower. However, you will get physical gifts. That's what showers are for, so it should be declined unless you're ok with that. 
    That being said, I've never been to a shower without a registry. Wedding gifts are typically things for the home, and without a registry you could get a lot of things that aren't your taste. Or, a lot of silver picture frames. 
    So... I'd either decline the shower, or make a small registry so people understand your taste. 

• I'll echo that you can have a shower without a registry but in doing so cash isn't OK and if I were you I'd make a registry or you will probably get a bunch of picture frames, wine flutes and photo albums.  
  • You can have a shower without a registry. You do not need to register for gifts just because she's "insisting."

But regardless of whether you have one or not, the only acceptable gifts for showers are physical gifts, not cash. If you don't want to receive physical gifts, then you need to decline the shower. I would tell your aunt, "Aunt, I gave it a lot of thought, but as I really don't want physical gifts, I'd really rather not register for things I don't really want or have a shower. I'm sorry." 

Something to bear in mind is that people can and probably will give you gifts whether or not you have a shower or a registry, and even if your aunt's party is not a shower. As long as each gift is promptly acknowledged with a gracious thank-you note to the giver, it then becomes yours to keep or discreetly dispose of as you see fit.