Wedding Woes
Options

It's Tuesday. Again.

Well I guess if yesterday was Monday today must be Tuesday. I swear I'm forgetting what day it is. 

More presents arrived yesterday, and more are arriving today. I need to actually open the Amazon boxes to make sure everything is correct. Then maybe start to wrap. I also work all week (and next week except Monday), but no one seems to have much motivation around here these days. 

Is anyone traveling for the holidays? Thankful for the first time in years we can wake up in our own bed on Christmas and not have to have a 5-13 hour drive. 

Re: It's Tuesday. Again.

• Options
    @charlotte989875, that's what I do too! leave the amazon boxes under the tree for now since I know they're for my parents and I can take care of them later :)

Not traveling this year.  And apparently not next year either.  H's company asks that you put in vacation bids in October to be finalized in December for the upcoming year.  My H was one the FIRST to put his vacation requests in.  He put them in the day they were available to.  I thought for sure he'd get the Dec 22nd week.  Nope.  Declined.  So it's not "first in" like you'd think.  It's seniority.  Which means the same people are getting Christmas, New years and probably thanksgiving off (we never tried for Thanksgiving).  H's Dad is 91 and his birthday is on Christmas Eve.  It's a big thing in his family and he wont be there for it (we live in IL, they live in NY)  We're going to shoot for Dec 14th of next year, but it won't be the same.

• Options
    I'm so tired today.  DH got up at his normal 4am to hit the gym and DefConn crawled in bed with me.  I could not fall back asleep, so I read for about an hour and then rolled over to try and sleep.  I did fall back asleep off and on until it was time to get up, of course and am now dragging.  Yay coffee. 

I have two more packages arriving today.  I have to run to the store for a couple more things for our last gift exchange gift.  DH also has to get the rest of his secret santa gift.  I legit feel like this:  Image result for throw money gif

Money, who needs it?

I just have to make to Friday and then I'm off for 10 days.  I'm so ready. 
  • Options
    Ok I have to vent. Will try to make a long story short. 
    DH has been trying to get promoted for years. He left his old company about 5.5 years ago because, during the recession, they stopped promoting internally and started snapping up Ivy League grads. Now, he's been passed over for promotion multiple times in the past 5 years but has made a few lateral moves. He gets amazing performance reviews and gets told everyone loves him because he's productive and a team player, etc. The curse of the productive worker bee, apparently. 

So, a few months ago this 40-year employee one level above him announced his impending retirement. That guy's boss immediately tapped DH for the promotion and wanted him to start getting exposed to the guy's job. The guy is practically irreplaceable with all his job knowledge. Then, it took ages to post the guy's position. The boss wanted to post it only internally for one day to limit the applicant pool. Come to find out yesterday, HR forced them to keep it posted internally longer and post it externally and... now the applicant pool is larger and more qualified than expected. Boss says the hiring decision may not be entirely his. They're not allowing the boss to just choose DH, they're making him do the entire usual 2-round interview process which will result in this job not getting filled for like, another two months- two months after the guy retires and leaves, mind you, leaving the boss in a training lurch. 

We're both so angry. The boss was doing the right thing by trying to get someone onboarded because replacing this guy was going to cause a huge knowledge and potential service gap. I get that HR is doing the right thing with fair hiring practices (this is a Fortune 500 company with hundreds of thousands of employees globally). But DH has been essentially working 3 jobs (yes 3) for 3 months. It was the worst kept secret that he was tapped for the job because of the training involved- how will it look now if he's not chosen?? And, why the fuck is the hiring manager not the decision maker? He's the one who has to work with the new person on a daily basis, not the boss's boss. The team members want to work for DH too. 

If he doesn't get this promotion he's going to put his resume out elsewhere. I just feel so awful for him right now.

• Options
    @thisismynickname2, that blows.  I hate office politics!  He's obviously the right one for the job.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll still work out for him. 
    @mrsconn23, that's how I'm feeling this season. With a bathroom remodel (my choice), car repairs and Christmas! I'll be filing for my taxes as soon as the forms come in! 

• Options
    edited December 2017
    We are hosting, so no travel for us. Yay! I'm WFH today and spending my between work moments doing laundry, prepping guest rooms, and making lists of errands I need to run.

I have a futurebelle appointment today. Nothing exciting, just a regular measuring/questions appt. Which is kind of annoying because I'm feeling the kicks, measuring fine, and have no questions. Oh well. 

This week is surprisingly really busy at work. Which is really annoying because most people are checked out and not wanting to work. Um no, either take PTO, or do your jobs. But don't slow me down because your lazy ass can't time manage your job and your Amazon addiction.

ETA: I manage my Amazon addiction and job just fine :p
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    @thisismynickname2 I'm sorry! That situation really sucks! I have no advice at the moment, but I completely empathize with your frustration! It's ridiculous that the hiring manager would not have any say in who they hire!!!!!!

Today I think my cold is finally on its way out! Poor Babypants seems to be about one day behind me symptoms-wise. She was so funny this morning at breakfast - I have been feeding her 1T of oatmeal in the morning before she leaves for school. This morning she clearly was Not. In. The. Mood. for oatmeal because she took one look at the little bowl this morning and FREAKED OUT. Lol. She's cute when she's angry. So I nursed her instead - hopefully the additional fluids will help continue to loosen up her congestion. 

It's Silly Sweater Day at her school - I fear the pic will be huge; how do I put it in a Spoiler Box? 
  • Options
    OMG @thisismynickname2...that is some bullshit fuckery.  I am so sorry. 

I totally empathize with all of this since DH has gone through this kind of shit in the recent past.  It is so frustrating and infuriating.  I hope it shakes down the right way for your H OR that he can find something else quickly.  
  • Options
    That's bullshit @thisismynickname2; can he float his resume before the two month time frame?

This week is surprisingly really busy at work. Which is really annoying because most people are checked out and not wanting to work. Um no, either take PTO, or do your jobs. But don't slow me down because your lazy ass can't time manage your job and your Amazon addiction.

ETA: I manage my Amazon addiction and job just fine :p
    This is my office this week, too. And probably next week. We also have some staff moving positions (one person leaving, other's moving up and around) so nothing is really getting done. It's a slow time for us, but still there are things that have to be taken care of that are falling through the cracks. 
  • Options
    @thisismynickname2 that really sucks. 

@charlotte989875 that’s annoying about the travel. 

I need to meal plan for Christmas Eve/Day today and possibly go shopping. SO set a trap last night for Jack’s Mom and ended up catching another cat instead. I feel bad, but we can’t afford to fix every cat we catch so I have to call the pound when they open to come and get it. Also, I don’t want to be all “I told you so,” but I just KNEW we were feeding all of the neighborhood stray cats instead of our “backyard kitties” and Jack’s Mom. SO is too nice sometimes. 

I havent heard back yet from my boss yet about going per diem. I think she’s trying to manipulate me into scheduling myself for full time shifts for the the next scheduling period that just opened up. If I don’t hear back by Thursday I’m going to talk to her. That’s about two weeks after we initially spoke and after I sent her an email to forward to HR. I think that’s enough time. I also have a feeling she’s going to tell me I can’t go per diem, which is really stupid of her because I’ll quit and find another job that is per diem. My unit can’t afford to lose anyone else, and having me quit instead of letting a trained employee go per diem and willing to pick up extra days is just such a foolish waste of money and resources. 

We still dont have a tree. All of the trees in our area are awful. But I’m almost done Christmas shopping and 90% of the gifts are wrapped, so it’s something. 

• Options
    charlotte989875 he might float his resume, I'm not sure. 
    @MissKittyDanger you look great!! 

• Options

thisismynickname - that is some office BS right there!  I hope it works for DH! 

I haven't even gone crazy for DD presents, but feel like this year the money is flying out the door!  I have only 1 more present to buy because I just thought on Sunday night that DD should get something for MIL.  So I will be going to Hallmark on my lunch to pick her up something.  Except for what I buy today, I'm done wrapping, mostly because I have such a small amount of paper left and I refuse to buy it full price!  Some of H's stocking stuffers will just be unwrapped!

I worked through lunch yesterday so I could leave at 4.  I hit up the post office for stamps and then over to Wegmans.  Got almost the last of the food I need for Christmas.  Just will need some tomatoes and Cavatellis (P&S brand ONLY!) - all other pale in comparison!  Wegmans doesn't sell P&S, so I will hit up Shop Rite on the 22nd when I'm home for the day.  I will get the tomatoes then too.

I sent H into daycare with 2 tubs of Wegmans Ultimate Chocolate Chip cookies.  1 for the front desk and the other for DDs Infant room.  H also had the gift cards for DDs teachers.  So that is done!

But have I told you all that I'm hosting 3 Christmas dinners in a row?  Yup!  I'm a glutton for punishment!  But at least Christmas Eve & Christmas Day will be low key.  The 7 fishes is the big show and I get lots of help cooking all of that!  That is the 23rd.  Christmas Eve will be the Cavatellis and meatballs with ILs and then my parents will be over Christmas Day.  My mom had a spiral ham already - so that is just heating it up.  I just need to figure out some sides.  I will be happy to go back to work on the 26th!

Santa was a bust last night.  The line was too long.  Trying again on Friday during the day, since I am off.  Tonight is Star Wars!!!  Whoop Whoop!  I unfortunately already saw a spoiler, but it ended up being a funny Trump joke that spoiled the SW secret, so I'm ok with it!

• Options
    @thisismynickname2 Thanks :) I felt I looked tired last night actually lmao
  • Options
    @misskittydanger, you look great!  And 3 hours? why?!? traffic is supposed to lighten this time of year.
    @oliveoilsmom, we're doing starwars tonight too.  And I'm also saving grocery shopping for Friday! May the force be with you.  On both accounts.
    @levioosa, what you do for the cats you rescue is amazing.

• Options
    @CharmedPam Not where I live. I think rest of the week will start to lighten, but I think part of why is the roads were a little greasy but tbh it's been a hell of a lot worse.
    Longest part of commute was what normally takes 10mins from my stop to where I use to live, took nearly 2hrs.
  • Options

@thisismynickname2, sorry to hear that is happening to your H!  Unfortunately, it isn't surprising with a big company.  When I worked for defense contractors, it was a little bit of the same thing, though with 100% local hiring authority.  They were required under their government contracts to openly post jobs for at least 3 days and interview at least 3 qualified candidates.  It was something like that.  Except, over 50% of the time, they already knew exactly who they would be hiring.  Sometimes directed by the client (ie, US Navy) themselves!

@levioosa, at the last house I lived in, our neighbor was having trouble with raccoons and had a trap out for them.  There were a number of outdoor and indoor/outdoor pet cats on our street.  All of them got caught once in her trap.  But they learned and it never happened a second time.  Except for one, Midnight.  Midnight was one of the sweetest, friendliest cats I have ever met.  He belonged to the people living on the other side of our duplex.  He knew he would get caught.  He didn't care.  The treats in the cage were worth it for him.  The neighbor with the cage said she would go out in the morning and Midnight would just be sitting there mellow and calm as can be, waiting for her to let him out.  This cat also used to wait at my door every morning when I left for work.  Because, of course, I would stop for a minute and give him pets and attention, lol.

Opposite from almost everybody else, this has been a mellow month for spending.  My H and I don't exchange gifts with each other or anybody else, so it is a bit lonelier at holiday times, but easy-breasy.

However, January is one of my s**t months, financially.  All property taxes in Orleans parish (county) are due on Jan. 31st.  My personal home is escrowed with my mortgage, but I have to pay OOP for the other three.  $3600!!!  Serious ouch.  But, it's not like it is a surprise and I plan for it.

I was going to take this Friday off but, now I have stuff to do, so why even bother.  Fridays are my half day, anyway.  So if I'm going to have to leave the house, I might as well just go to work first.

But next week will be awesome!  I'm taking Tuesday and Friday off.  So I'll only be working two days.  <<Happy Dance>>   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @misskittydanger, hoping traffic only gets better from here.
    @short+sassy, I want midnight.  It sounds like we're a match made in heaven.  Ouch on the January funds, at least it's not a shocker.  We have Friday/Monday off both weeks from work so that's all I'm getting off.
    @Ilovebeachmusic, your "shopping" is right up my alley! Have a blast!

• Options
    @ILoveBeachMusic that sounds like my kind of shopping!

Santa isn’t stopping here so I am good :). DH went a little crazy for the niece and nephew on amazon this weekend. This morning, his mom tried to go to work but there was 4’ of boxes blocking her door, lol. 

I got the quote for the landscaping. It is in line with what I was expecting, but I have some clarifying to do. “The curtain guy” showed up today to take measurements, he will drop off a book of samples later. I have such a hard time trying to support a local economy here because so few places have an Internet presence so you really have to know where to go. I am going to compare this guys prices to ikea and go with the cheapest. It sucks but I don’t have all month to drive around the city hoping to spot a curtain place that looks budget friendly. 

Other than that, SSDD.
  • Options
    @thisismynickname2 that is awful. I hope your H gets the position though.

Today is H's last day at work. He is retiring just in time to spoil grandbabies! I still need to clean for everyone to be home over the holidays. I finally figured out what we are having for dinner on Christmas day.

This afternoon/evening I'm going "shopping" with friends at an outdoor shopping center. It is an annual event. We really just go to have martinis and buy little stuff. Each year it is more martinis and less shopping LOL!

Off to volunteer this afternoon before "shopping".

Oh wow!!!  Congrats to your H!

My biggest goal in life is to retire as fast as I can.  Or, at least retire from working for other businesses.

@misskittydanger, hoping traffic only gets better from here.
    @short+sassy, I want midnight.  It sounds like we're a match made in heaven.  Ouch on the January funds, at least it's not a shocker.  We have Friday/Monday off both weeks from work so that's all I'm getting off.
    @Ilovebeachmusic, your "shopping" is right up my alley! Have a blast!

Me too!  His "parents" moved out-of-state while we were still living there.  I couldn't help myself and threw out a, "Soooo...hey...are you all taking Midnight with you?  Because we would make a good home for him here, if you all were thinking about re-homing."  As I expected, that was a no-go.  But I had to try!

This couple also had a 1-year-old baby.  The wife would take her daughter out in a stroller for a walk every morning.  Midnight would walk along right next to them.  No leash or anything.  Just followed along.  Such a cool cat!

I love my Nip girl, but I've tried to take her for a walk on a leash twice.  If she could talk, this is what she would say, "You go on ahead.  I'm going to sit here and smell this rosemary bush for a good 10 minutes."

3 minutes later..."Pfft.  You can pull that leash as hard as you want.  I TOLD you, I'm going to smell this rosemary bush.  I am not done."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I love my Nip girl, but I've tried to take her for a walk on a leash twice.  If she could talk, this is what she would say, "You go on ahead.  I'm going to sit here and smell this rosemary bush for a good 10 minutes."

3 minutes later..."Pfft.  You can pull that leash as hard as you want.  I TOLD you, I'm going to smell this rosemary bush.  I am not done."

Penny would be like "You're going left? Cool. I'm gonna go right. I'll see you whenever!" and Angel would be like "I don't wanna go anymore :| "
  • Options

Penny would be like "You're going left? Cool. I'm gonna go right. I'll see you whenever!" and Angel would be like "I don't wanna go anymore :| "
    Charlie would be like *bite bite scratch scratch* *swirley Tasmania devil cartoon*
  • Options

Charlie would be like *bite bite scratch scratch* *swirley Tasmania devil cartoon*
    LMFAO! Taz kitty :)

We've joked that if we left the door open and the cats got out, Angel would get into the field, look around and come back.
    Penny would be running like "DOBBY IS A FREE ELF!!" then a couple days later come home like "Dobby is not meant to be a free elf and would like to come home :| "
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I won top performer for my group last month!!!  WAHOO!  I'm chair dancing like crazy. 
    congrats!

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2017
    Ugh, DH's headhunter just called with an amazing opportunity.  Seems like a great property and apparently a lot of money.  In FL again.

I swear this happens once a year.    I want to be supportive, but I'm getting tired of the unknown.  We start looking at houses (which there are none right now), then gets an opportunity  for a new job. Months of interviews and tasting only to get the final round and then doesn't get the job.   

The HH and DH are going to talk the first of the year.  At least no one puts their houses up for sale in the winter around here.  Well not in our price range, lots of $2,000,000 - 10,000,000 go on sale.

On another note, I'm making a brunswick chicken stew.   Let's just say I might be having dinner at 4pm because I'm not sure I can make it to a "normal" dinner time.  

@mrsconn23  - congrats

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    That must be frustrating @lyndausvi. Are you guys actively looking outside of Colorado?  The last time the job was offered, were you looking or did something awesome just come up?

• Options
    That must be frustrating @lyndausvi. Are you guys actively looking outside of Colorado?  The last time the job was offered, were you looking or did something awesome just come up?
    We are not activity looking at all.

DH used a high end HH in the past.  He only deals with high end exclusive clubs.    DH told him if anything amazing comes up give him a call.   So about once a year a great opportunity comes up.   And really 2 years in a row it was the same opportunity.  So it really doesn't come up often, but frequent enough to make me not to want to commit to something like a house.

He likes it here, but it is changing.   He likes the idea of moving to a bigger more exclusive club and getting his name out there in the industry as a premier chef.  Clubs are not always known for the food.  DH is responsible for a huge membership increase here.   Some 40 families just joined last quarter with more than half saying his food is the reason they joined.

Plus it would be closer to family.  His family doesn't come here. More nieces are being born and he misses them. MIL is finally getting evicted, so she might actually come visit us.    (note-my MIL has NEVER stepped foot in any of our homes.  Has never even been in the same state, let alone city/town.)

My parents would, but can't because of my mom has issues with the altitude.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated.