Wedding Woes

Keep saying 'no' and your H should never tell his sister anything again.

Q. Day care: I telecommute most days because of medical issues. Over the Christmas break, two of my long-term friends and co-workers had emergency childcare issues (a spouse left for family medical issues, and the daycare burned down).  It would have seriously damaged all of our work, so I offered to watch their girls (12, 10, and 9), who aren’t old enough to be left by themselves but mature enough not to be a bother. We packed down into my basement where they watched TV and read books. I would periodically check on them but I never had any problems. Their mothers packed their lunches and snacks.

My husband mentioned the arrangement to his sister, and she flat out told everyone she expects me to do the same for her boys! Besides them being younger, my nephews are loud, active, and have severe behavior problems. There is no way they can be trusted to be left alone for any period of time.  My sister-in-law does not take no for an answer and runs right over everyone else in the family. This will cause a fight. My husband’s idea is just not to take the girls, but that screws me over with my work! How do I get out of this?

Re: Keep saying 'no' and your H should never tell his sister anything again.

• I telecommute full time.  I will take in some people's kids in a pinch and not others for the exact reasons LW has.  It's only come up a few times in the 6.5 years I've WFH.  

I just don't understand why LW's H even had to tell his sister.  It was a one-time emergency thing.  It's not like they made a full-time arrangement (and even then, LW is within her rights to refuse to watch anyone's kids).
  • Have the fight.    After the week before Christmas I'm entirely over tip toeing over feelings.  SIL may not take no for an answer but if she doesn't have a key to your home then don't let her in it. 
  • Sometimes having the fight is worth it.
  • I'm sorry, I'm stuck on a 12, 10, and 9-year-old not being old enough to be left alone. Say what now? I mean, maybe the 9-year-old, maybe not for all day, but I was watching a 7, 5, and 3-year-old all day when I was 10, so...what? 
  • baconsmom said:
    I'm sorry, I'm stuck on a 12, 10, and 9-year-old not being old enough to be left alone. Say what now? I mean, maybe the 9-year-old, maybe not for all day, but I was watching a 7, 5, and 3-year-old all day when I was 10, so...what? 
    I had the same head-scratcher moment.  My friend's oldest stepson is 12 and he stayed home and watched his 10 year old brother and 7 year old sister over Christmas break.  

But if my friend wanted the kids to come here, I'd let them.  They're good kids and would not disrupt me. 
  • This is like that time someone on a parenting board advised you keep your kid in a booster seat till they're 5 feet tall. 

I asked if I should get one for driving. I mean, I'm barely 5 feet, so....
  • baconsmom said:
    I'm sorry, I'm stuck on a 12, 10, and 9-year-old not being old enough to be left alone. Say what now? I mean, maybe the 9-year-old, maybe not for all day, but I was watching a 7, 5, and 3-year-old all day when I was 10, so...what? 
    I just found out you cannot leave kids alone in Ontario until they are 16...FFS. I used to babysit at 12 and wander all over Hell’s half acres before 16. I’m not staying with my kid until he’s 16, that’s ridiculous. At 5, he’s already more responsible than me in tons of ways.
    I heard they amended that! If you take a course at 11yrs old you can stay home.

Tbh it might be because kids now-a-days are too reliant on their parents.
  • baconsmom said:
    This is like that time someone on a parenting board advised you keep your kid in a booster seat till they're 5 feet tall. 

I used to joke with MIL about that because I'm 5'5" (barely) and I towered over her. 
  • baconsmom said:
    This is like that time someone on a parenting board advised you keep your kid in a booster seat till they're 5 feet tall

Some carseat laws are good, but I swear I wouldn't have left a booster until I was a teenager if that was the case :')
    I'm 5'1" ish {might be 1/2 because some days I'm closer to 5'2" other days I'm closer to 5'1" lol}
  • I’d have the fight too need be.  And then a little side-fight w H for telling his sister in the first place.
  • baconsmom said:
    This is like that time someone on a parenting board advised you keep your kid in a booster seat till they're 5 feet tall. 

Oof. I hate this stuff. My six-month-old already strains up against the bucket seats when I put her in because she doesn't like laying down. We won't be doing extended rear facing, that's for sure!
  • mrsconn23 said:

Q. Day care: I telecommute most days because of medical issues. Over the Christmas break, two of my long-term friends and co-workers had emergency childcare issues (a spouse left for family medical issues, and the daycare burned down).  It would have seriously damaged all of our work, so I offered to watch their girls (12, 10, and 9), who aren’t old enough to be left by themselves but mature enough not to be a bother. We packed down into my basement where they watched TV and read books. I would periodically check on them but I never had any problems. Their mothers packed their lunches and snacks.

My husband mentioned the arrangement to his sister, and she flat out told everyone she expects me to do the same for her boys! Besides them being younger, my nephews are loud, active, and have severe behavior problems. There is no way they can be trusted to be left alone for any period of time.  My sister-in-law does not take no for an answer and runs right over everyone else in the family. This will cause a fight. My husband’s idea is just not to take the girls, but that screws me over with my work! How do I get out of this?

Um.. that's pretty terrible. 

But yeah I WFH occasionally and having kids that can entertain themselves and might just ask where the bathroom/snacks/remote are is not the same thing as actively watching children that need to be looked after, cared for, and fed.

That would get a big nope from me, and an argument with the husband about why he's not sticking by me deciding how to plan my own time. 
  • baconsmom said:
    This is like that time someone on a parenting board advised you keep your kid in a booster seat till they're 5 feet tall

Some carseat laws are good, but I swear I wouldn't have left a booster until I was a teenager if that was the case :')
    I'm 5'1" ish {might be 1/2 because some days I'm closer to 5'2" other days I'm closer to 5'1" lol}

Not that I'm disagreeing with "most" car seat/booster rules.

But there was no such thing, when I was growing up, lol.  Car seats for babies and toddlers, yes.  However, once your child could no longer comfortably fit in a car seat, they're just sitting in the car like any adult.  Back then, seat belts were a person's preference.  Children might have been required to be seat belted, but I'm not even sure about that.  Though, in my family, seat belts were definitely required, lol.

My dad was a huge fun of Ralph Nader and jumped early on the seat belt bandwagon.  My dad thought seat belts were the best thing since sliced bread and could foresee what a crucial safety feature they are.  It sounds silly to say that in the present day, but it wasn't so obvious and matter of fact when they were still a relatively new feature to cars.

I've occasionally seen the eye rolling recommendation that kids remain in booster seats until they are 5'0".    Puh-leez.  I am 5'0".  I couldn't reach my clutch if I had to sit in a booster seat, lol.  Though, to be fair, I think there is an age max. also.  Like, until they're 12 or at least 5'0", whichever comes first.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • baconsmom said:

I'd still be a booster seat.....
  • For the LW, I'd just let the SIL know that it is only for temporary period of time due to an emergency.

I'd tell her...once...why I can't watch her sons on a regular basis.  And I might even be a bit blunt about it.  Then, I would no longer engage her on the topic.  I would just keep repeating some variation of, "We've already discussed.  The bottom line is I can't watch your sons and get my work done at the same time.  I can't.  Period.  Not discussing it further."

Not that the LW was worried about this, but I might be if the SIL is as pushy as she says she is.  If the SIL ever tried to push the issue by just dropping her sons off at my door with no notice, I'd tell her she better find somewhere else to take them or I'd be calling the police about abandoned children at my door step.  And I would.  My responsibility to having a job and taking care of my own family comes first.

As an aside, I know WFH jobs can be very different, but my cousin has a very strict one.  She can't even have her OWN child in her home during working hours, unless there is another person there to watch the child.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    baconsmom said:

Oof. I hate this stuff. My six-month-old already strains up against the bucket seats when I put her in because she doesn't like laying down. We won't be doing extended rear facing, that's for sure!
    That's not really comparable.   Rear facing is about the safety of the child due to the bones in the baby.   Baby can outgrow the bucket seat  but you can rear face in a convertible car seat.   At that young of an age you're more likely to die from a neck injury.  You can safely rear face for years - more and more states are requiring it until baby is at least 2.

That's far different from bones that have grown and hardened in an older child or small adult. 
    Yea, I've heard this. I personally am going to take my child happy over her crying the entire trip from rear facing after she's over the rear facing requirements. 
  • As an aside, I know WFH jobs can be very different, but my cousin has a very strict one.  She can't even have her OWN child in her home during working hours, unless there is another person there to watch the child.

My job is like this.  I have a 17 year old and doors on my office, but if my kids are home and DH isn't here, I'm going to hear from them.   I answer e-mail, and rarely make or take phone calls, so it's NBD as long as I have the appearance of being left alone and keep up my numbers. 

If I had to take phone calls, it would be an entirely different ball game with very different rules in my house. 
  • banana468 said:
    baconsmom said:

That's not really comparable.   Rear facing is about the safety of the child due to the bones in the baby.   Baby can outgrow the bucket seat  but you can rear face in a convertible car seat.   At that young of an age you're more likely to die from a neck injury.  You can safely rear face for years - more and more states are requiring it until baby is at least 2.

That's far different from bones that have grown and hardened in an older child or small adult. 
    Yea, I've heard this. I personally am going to take my child happy over her crying the entire trip from rear facing after she's over the rear facing requirements. 
    This comment is inspiring. My kid loves playing with electrical outlets and cries when I don't let him. From now on, I'm going to let him play with outlets if it makes him happy because parenting is more about happy kids than keeping them safe, amirite?
    Oh brother. This is is entirely different. Give him a different toy and he'll be fine. 

Go ahead, report me to CPS for following the guidelines on the car seat. 

I'm done with this thread. 
  • baconsmom said:

I laugh at this because I know some adults that are barely 5’ whereas I hit that height at 10 years old. 
  • banana468 said:
    baconsmom said:

We rear faced until my son hit the height limit on the convertible, just after 3 years. We just hit the height limit on the convertible to get into the booster in the Fall. His safety is paramount over his whining. 
  • banana468 said:
    baconsmom said:

I guess I'm weird because I'm prioritizing safety over a toddler's happiness.  

As others have said, the seat positioning, toys, mirrors can all help make that experience easier and increase chances of survival.   
  • baconsmom said:

I laugh at this because I know some adults that are barely 5’ whereas I hit that height at 10 years old. 
    I'm guessing you're either over 6ft now or did a lot of growing when you were younger.
    My friend is 6'3" and she was 5ft at 8yrs old I believe. She grew really quick and she ended up being tall lol
  • banana468 said:
    baconsmom said:

This comment is inspiring. My kid loves playing with electrical outlets and cries when I don't let him. From now on, I'm going to let him play with outlets if it makes him happy because parenting is more about happy kids than keeping them safe, amirite?
    Oh brother. This is is entirely different. Give him a different toy and he'll be fine. 

Go ahead, report me to CPS for following the guidelines on the car seat. 

I'm done with this thread. 
    Obviously no one knows who you are to report you to CPS, so all drama aside, I think you'll keep custody of your kid...

But idk why anyone would do something that is puts their kid at a much higher risk of literally dying just because it makes them stop crying. The role of a parent is to keep the kid safe first, happy second. 
    *********************************************************************************

• baconsmom said:

I'm guessing you're either over 6ft now or did a lot of growing when you were younger.
    My friend is 6'3" and she was 5ft at 8yrs old I believe. She grew really quick and she ended up being tall lol
    Both, I’m 6’. I also grew a lot betwen 10 and 13.