Wedding Woes
Options

He's not going to change, so maybe you should make good on the promise to leave?

Dear Jane,

I’m a 30 year old woman in a relationship with a 35 year old man. We’ve been together for about a year and we just moved in together. We initially bonded over being the only Latino people in our small community and our shared culture and values. We enjoy spending time together, shared hobbies, compatible Netflix preferences, great sex, etc. Throughout our relationship, we’ve argued several times about various things and it always plays out the same way. He’ll do or say something that I find odd/offensive/upsetting/hurtful and so I react in a way that feels (to me) appropriate. This is often me expressing calmly that what happened wasn’t cool with me and explaining why. He then BLOWS THE FUCK UP. He’ll tell me that I’m being an asshole, I’m too sensitive, I’m trying to change him, I’m misinterpreting things, and so on. It’s almost like he takes offense to my feelings.

I’ve told him that this is not a good way to react and I’ve told him how I need things to be different if I’m going to stick around. He says that he hears me but ultimately, it happens again and again. I’m being gaslit by an otherwise wonderful dude and I’m not sure how to move forward. I want to build a life with this person but I feel like I can’t be open about my feelings unless I’m prepared to deal with him taking those feelings as a personal attack.

Re: He's not going to change, so maybe you should make good on the promise to leave?

• Options
    On the one hand, they both like Orange is the New Black......on the other hand, he gaslights her and has anger management problems. What to do, what to do...
    This is my favourite part of your response :')
  • Options
    H and I have opposite Netflix preferences (separate profiles, one account FTW) but no one belittles the other. Guess we're doomed. 
  • Options
    H and I have opposite Netflix preferences (separate profiles, one account FTW) but no one belittles the other. Guess we're doomed. 
    I'm in that boat too.

I mean sometimes we'll get on a series we watch together, but not often.
  • Options
    Reasons given as to why they're together: Latino, enjoyed company, similar hobbies, compatible Netflix preferences (LOL!!), good sex

Reasons why it's right to break up with someone: poor communication, lack of effort, angry outbursts, gaslighting

Gosh, this is a really hard one. On the one hand, they both like Orange is the New Black......on the other hand, he gaslights her and has anger management problems. What to do, what to do...
    Maybe I'm getting old but I'm thinking the bolded is why they're still together. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2018
    banana468 said:
    Reasons given as to why they're together: Latino, enjoyed company, similar hobbies, compatible Netflix preferences (LOL!!), good sex

Reasons why it's right to break up with someone: poor communication, lack of effort, angry outbursts, gaslighting

Gosh, this is a really hard one. On the one hand, they both like Orange is the New Black......on the other hand, he gaslights her and has anger management problems. What to do, what to do...
    Maybe I'm getting old but I'm thinking the bolded is why they're still together. 

Yep. I had the best sex with a guy whom was terrible for me and the entire relationship was stressful for a lot of reasons.  We had a shitty break up and I still went back for more booty (we weren't exclusive the second time, even though I'm pretty sure he cheated on me the first go-round).  He moved away and then I met DH shortly after. 

He did call a year after the last time we hooked up because he was in town, but DH and I were serious (moving in together and talking marriage).  

But I was in my early 20's...not 30.
  • Options
    My college exBF was like that.   I was always wrong, he liked to make me feel guilty for being myself, was borderline or actually abusive and cheated on me.

But I went back for seconds when we weren't exclusive.    It felt HOT.

Then DH and I got together and I realized how dumb I was to get treated that way for so long and well - I'm far more satisfied too.
  • Options
    Wonderful dudes don't constantly gaslight their partners. 

Maybe she needs to see the actual movie Gaslight and see where that kind of behavior ends up.
  • Options

mrsconn23 said:

Dear Jane,

I’m a 30 year old woman in a relationship with a 35 year old man. We’ve been together for about a year and we just moved in together. We initially bonded over being the only Latino people in our small community and our shared culture and values. We enjoy spending time together, shared hobbies, compatible Netflix preferences, great sex, etc. Throughout our relationship, we’ve argued several times about various things and it always plays out the same way. He’ll do or say something that I find odd/offensive/upsetting/hurtful and so I react in a way that feels (to me) appropriate. This is often me expressing calmly that what happened wasn’t cool with me and explaining why. He then BLOWS THE FUCK UP. He’ll tell me that I’m being an asshole, I’m too sensitive, I’m trying to change him, I’m misinterpreting things, and so on. It’s almost like he takes offense to my feelings.

I’ve told him that this is not a good way to react and I’ve told him how I need things to be different if I’m going to stick around. He says that he hears me but ultimately, it happens again and again. I’m being gaslit by an otherwise wonderful dude and I’m not sure how to move forward. I want to build a life with this person but I feel like I can’t be open about my feelings unless I’m prepared to deal with him taking those feelings as a personal attack.

Her response should be, "Yes, I am trying to change you.  Change you from being an emotionally abusive, name calling, and controlling a**hat."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker