Wedding Woes
Options

It's Still Snowing. And it's Monday

Well it's still snowing in Buffalo, this Bills lost the playoff game, and I'm sick. 

There's some new fuckery at work and everyone is on edge. I never really thought much about "work culture" until I started here, because holy hell does it make a difference.

On the brightside I bought new boots this morning from LL Bean;I ordered some Sorels last week, but when I got them they just didn't feel like they'd be warm or waterproof, which was super disappointing because I have the Sorel Joan of Arks that have lasted me for nearly 10 years and are the best boots I've owned. So now I wait for the Gortex/Thinsulate duck boots from LL Bean. Fingers crossed they're as good as the reviews. 

Re: It's Still Snowing. And it's Monday

• Options
    We're starting to thaw from the deep freeze.  I could be outside this weekend without freezing to the bone after 2 min. 

Friday night, DH and I ran to the store after I got done with work.  

Saturday, I worked.  DH got up and went to the BMV to register the truck (we were so late on that...whoops!), to get more firewood, and then to FIL's.  He built a fire before he left for FIL's and I was tending it while I worked.  Buuuttt...I was in the kitchen getting a drink, and looked at the fire and was all, "I should shift some wood."  I get down to the fire and pull gloves on, and one of the glass panes on the screen burst and shattered because a log fell too close.  Cleaning up glass on brick and carpet is fun, ha. 

Sunday, I went to brunch and shopping with my sisters as a belated bday gift to my younger sister. I found some super cute duck boots at DSW (Sperrys).  Way better than my rain boots with no insulation, less bulky and cumbersome than my winter boots, and waterproof, unlike my fuzzy bearpaw (Ugg knock-off) boots.  I also got a cute shirt and scored good deals on wallflowers from bath and body works.  After that it was Sunday wind down and Golden Globes. 
  • Options
    This weekend was fun but exhausting. On Saturday we went to my cousin’s debutante ball. Afterwards we hung out with my other cousin and his gf for a bit and that was nice to catch up.

Yesterday we had a nice lunch at one of our old haunts on the way home. But we found out our favorite restaurant closed. =( then on the way home our neighbor called to tell us someone smashed in our car’s back window. The weekend kind of ended on a sour note, but overall I think it was good. 

Work today. I’m dreading going in. I definitely need a break. It’s supposed to rain today too, which means everyone in Southern California is going to lose their damn minds driving. I wouldn’t care except tomorrow I might have to go to Beverly Hills and that 1.5 hour drive could easily become 3-4 if people are idiots. 

• Options
    It's finally gone from crazy cold to "I expect this in January" cold.   My kids might actually play in the snow!

Saturday we stayed inside.   It was too cold to even want to go out so we didn't.  I did some laundry and helped DD clean her room and made biscotti for a friend's brunch.

Sunday we went to the brunch only to find out it was cancelled!   Oh well - we stayed for an hour and our kids played.   Came home to start cleaning up from Christmas and took down the tree and decorations.   I'm sad to see them go but glad to have more space in the house again.   It was so cold that the hot water line out to my office froze.   DH started heating it and getting a water drip going.

Sunday night DH and I started watching The Big Sick and then we heard a thunderous boom from behind us.   He ran through the house thinking one of the kids could have done something like fall out of bed but we didn't see anything inside.   Then we got to the garage and found that a 2 liter bottle of soda in a cooler exploded leaving soda ice on the garage wall, floor and cooler interior.    THAT is going to be a fun clean up project.

My minivan is still giving me a low battery light despite being charged so I'm going to have to insist that DH change the stupid thing by the weekend.    I have a business trip in two weeks and really don't want to get stuck on a 5 hour drive.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    This weekend was fun but exhausting. On Saturday we went to my cousin’s debutante ball. Afterwards we hung out with my other cousin and his gf for a bit and that was nice to catch up.

Yesterday we had a nice lunch at one of our old haunts on the way home. But we found out our favorite restaurant closed. =( then on the way home our neighbor called to tell us someone smashed in our car’s back window. The weekend kind of ended on a sour note, but overall I think it was good. 

Work today. I’m dreading going in. I definitely need a break. It’s supposed to rain today too, which means everyone in Southern California is going to lose their damn minds driving. I wouldn’t care except tomorrow I might have to go to Beverly Hills and that 1.5 hour drive could easily become 3-4 if people are idiots. 
    Tell us more- there are debutante balls in Southern California?!? I thought those were strictly for the South and the 1800s
  • Options

Did everyone watch Oprah's Gloden Globes speech? Because damn. She is an icon.
    Yes and it was so good.  <3 
  • Options
    Finally got the house un-Christmassed. Looks empty but good. Baby B didn't even notice. Not once did he try to touch the tree when it was up, phew. 

Working from home since they had predicted ice today. I don't think we ended up with any ice but I worked from home anyway. Although the entrance to daycare was icy, I almost fell leaving it. They don't do a good job of snow removal or icing in the parking lot or entrance which is just crazy to me. 
  • Options

This weekend sucked.  Friday was a snow day and too cold to kick the kids outside to play. 

My best friend in high school had stage 1 kidney cancer 6 months ago.  They removed the kidney and scans looked fine.  Friday she announces she has stage 4 kidney cancer that has spread to her liver.  The 5 year survival rate is 8%. 

Dh's grandma is increasingly confused- she thought she was microwaving tea, but put the tv remote in instead; she thought her only daughter was a friend that passed a few years ago.  She was supposed to have a brain scan Friday.  Someone submitted the wrong name to insurance and her pre-approval was denied.  Now they have to jump through hoops again.

I have never seen my husband cry, but Friday night was too much. 

I kind of don't even know what the rest of the weekend looked like.

Kids are off again today and I'm going crazy.  At the same time I just want to hug them and be happy I am healthy.

• Options
    (( @6fsn )) Been thinking about you guys. <3 
  • Options
    Trigger Warning: Child Loss.

So I just found out one of the women I work closely with at the office lost her 6 month old son over the weekend. It's awful and sad, and no one really knows what to do or say. She has three other children and is an amazing colleague and friend. This really sucks. 
  • Options
    yes, it's very icy around here too.  Be careful TKer's.  I need to know more about a debutante ball too! 

My house is semi- unchristmassed, the tree is up but H wants to take it down, I'm sure he wants to take it down the reverse way he wants to put it up next year. I could have done that, but he said he wanted to do that, so whatever.  He can do it.

This weeekend was good, Saturday we did a bunch of errands and the weather was OK. Sunday I went to see I, Tonya, as it's starting to play in more theaters now and I really liked it.  I was infatuated with that story in '94.

Today I come into work, and we have 4 bottles(16.9 oz) of water in our office for 6 people.  Delivery is from 2pm-4pm.  Why the heck didn't our admin pay the extra $5 at peapod to get it delivered before noon?  She waited to long to do a delivery in the first place, and our office is not the kind of office to scoff at a $5 dollar charge like that.  So annoying!

• Options

It is a balmy 22 degrees outside today!  But we are getting an ice/freezing rain storm this evening - lovely.  Our storm warning is from 1 PM to 9 PM, so probably prime evening commute.

Weekend was good overall.  MIL and H went to their annual Elvis impersonator show.  So I went home with DD after dinner, while H & MIL went to their concert.  Except I had a pukey baby and they had fun.  I think it was the combo of things she ate because after she was completely fine and crawling around everywhere.  She had a few more rounds, after I gave her formula ::forehead slap:: but then she fell asleep and was all good.  I'm hoping that was all, she didn't eat too well, so just going to keep an eye on her.

We have our ice maker hooked up and its making ice!  H did some other work around the house too.  On Saturday we went up to a local bulk meat shop and spent entirely too much on meat!  We will not need to buy any for quite some time though.  We got a 15 lb box of bacon for $15, which we split with my brother.  I also got a 10 lb box of steak sandwich meat, which I gave some of to my parents for easy meals for my dad.  Once home with all of our meat finds, we took the time to separate everything out and vacuum seal them into smaller portions.  We also marinated some of the meat for easier meals.

• Options
    Oh god @charlotte989875, that is awful.  How heartbreaking.  T+P's for the family. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875, how heartbreaking.  T&P's for sure :(

• Options
    @charlotte989875 horrible to hear all around :(

@mrsconn23 scary! lucky you didn't get hit with glass :\

@6fsn *hugs all around*

M is getting better, but still had a wicked cough. He's just hoping he won't get sent home because of it.

Saturday we saw family for belated xmas. It was good. Because of that, we might end up getting an instant pot lol

Sunday was basically doing nothing but cleaning.

Also I have felt movement recently :) Lots of activity. HOWEVER BABY WAS BEING A BRAT THIS MORNING!!
    Legs crossed. Sitting in breech. No idea gender lmao.
    Had to reschedule ultrasound because they didn't get some measurements.
  • Options
    Trigger Warning: Child Loss.

So I just found out one of the women I work closely with at the office lost her 6 month old son over the weekend. It's awful and sad, and no one really knows what to do or say. She has three other children and is an amazing colleague and friend. This really sucks. 
    OMG that's heartbreaking.  

SHE probably doesn't know what to do or say.   It's every parent's worst nightmare.  

Do you know her outside of work to the point that you know who may be helping or bringing food? 

About 3 years ago DH's cousin and wife lost their child in childbirth.   The family organized a calendar of meals for them (she both had to recover from the multiple surgeries involved plus they have two young children) so they wouldn't need to cook and they also wouldn't be overwhelmed with a bunch of stuff on one day.   You could also arrange for gift cards to be sent to them for restaurants and supermarkets.  

T&P for your colleague. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 - that is so tragic...what happened? There's really nothing that can be said except "I'm so so sorry." Honestly, I think I would appreciate a card/flowers and just to be left alone. Ugh my heart just breaks for them.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks everyone, it's just awful. No one really knows what to say. 

The colleague she is closest with is coming to our office this afternoon, so we're waiting to hear from her if someone is putting together a meal train. 

Thanks for the suggestions about gift cards, I wouldn't have thought of that. 
  • Options
    And I just got a text that SIL's grandma passed. 2018 is off to a horrible start.
  • Options
    Link isn't working in my signature, but babysizer.com is hilarious.

Hopefully this works:
    https://babysizer.com/geeky/18
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that @6fsn...
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    @6fsn jeez :( Rough start to 2018
  • Options

@6fsn - I'm so sorry for both DH's grandma and SILs grandma.

@charlotte989875 - T&P for your co-worker.  That is every parent's worst nightmare and something that will stick with her and her family for years and even decades.  Meal train and gift cards for food is the best thing right now.

• Options
    @6fsn hugs for you, DH, and SIL. 

@charlotte989875 that is so awful about your coworker! Do you know what happened? Close friends of ours lost their 8-week-old a few years ago to a congenital disease. So heartbreaking and devastating. Definitely see if you can help with meals. 

Today I have been up since 2:49am - Babypants woke up to nurse at that time and then refused to go back to sleep. So here I am. Ready for bed already lol. 

In the parking lot of my local coffee shop this morning I almost got run over by a guy in a Jeep - TWICE. 

But surprisingly my work day has been productive, despite my lack of energy. And I found out one of my coworkers in a similar department, but a director role, just gave her notice. I may look into that position when it's posted. 
  • Options
    @6fsn hugs for you, DH, and SIL. 

@charlotte989875 that is so awful about your coworker! Do you know what happened? Close friends of ours lost their 8-week-old a few years ago to a congenital disease. So heartbreaking and devastating. Definitely see if you can help with meals. 

No; she didn't say anything, and no one wanted to ask. He hasn't had any health problems (that we know of, it was definitely sudden and unexpected) so we don't really know. I'm going to run out and grab some gift cards to places I know she shops and mail them out at lunch. 
  • Options
    so sorry to hear about everyone's family and friends going through tough times :(
  • Options
    I'm sorry for the sad news all around :(

Weekend was good- we went to an annual holiday season party (yes, in January, because December gets too crazy) and it was really fun. Sunday I saw Pitch Perfect 3 and thought it was freakin' hilarious. Rebel Wilson is amazing.

Interesting start to my morning- on my walk to the train, I passed a backpack on the sidewalk. Good condition, with a water bottle and coffee mug falling out the sides. Ok. Another block later, another backpack, this one with a scarf on it. Odd. A few feet away, a single shoe. Hmm. On the corner, I see a woman and hear yelling. As I get closer, I see a guy laying on the ground (in the snow), sans a matching shoe. She's screaming at him, along the lines of, "How the fuck can you do this to me, why don't you keep your promises, what the fuck is wrong with you?"  When I walked by them I only hear the guy say, "I was up all night and didn't sleep!"  Well, I'm not about to butt in to a domestic dispute. A school crossing guard was observing from across the street, and I passed a shop keeper observing it from across the other street as well. The shop keeper said he was thinking of calling the cops and wondered if the guy was drunk. I had a train to catch and kept going, but I find myself really wondering what went on- what caused them to ditch their backpacks and run (as the evidence suggested) down the street and the guy to end up on the ground. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

Tell us more- there are debutante balls in Southern California?!? I thought those were strictly for the South and the 1800s

SO hilarious!  Because it is so true, lol.

But yes, the exception proves the rule.  There are debutante balls in SoCal.  Though, when I lived there about 20 years ago, the only city I heard about them being held in was Newport Beach, CA.  One of the wealthiest zip codes in Orange County.

Of course, now that I live in NOLA, debutante balls in the social pages are just par for the course.

For Mardi Gras, one of the oldest krewes that is still around is called Rex.  It's an all-male krewe to be a member, but they still have a Queen and princesses.  The Queen of Rex is traditionally a debutante from the previous year's season. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@6fsn, so sorry to hear about all the tragedy going on with your friend's and family.

@charlotte989875, I'm sorry to hear about your coworker's child.  So sad and devastating.

@levioosa, That's terrible about your all's car window!  I hate that there are so many awful people in this world.

@MissKittyDanger, yay moving baby!  (or sometimes not so yay, lol).

Usually my job is fairly mellow.  But last week was nerve racking.  Even to the point where I was feeling upset into the weekend.  And, of course, it didn't help that my weekend was busier with chores and errands than it usually is.

On a bright note, my Saints won their play-off game!!!  Very exciting!  And are marching in to Minneapolis next week.  Not feeling as optimistic about that game, lol.  The Vikings have been kicking butt and taking names all season.  But, ya never know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy  yay for me feeling it, boo for it not moving enough to uncross the legs. A few women suggested sugary drink {like oj} before appt next time. Which makes sense, because I had juice the mornings I felt stuff.