Wedding Woes
Options

Couple Sues Wedding Vendors for $150k..

1235»

Re: Couple Sues Wedding Vendors for $150k..

• Options
    As a new mom, I'll say for other new-moms-to-be (hi, @MissKittyDanger ) that there are so many questions you need to ask when you take a hospital tour. Based on answers, you may choose a different hospital (or birthing center!) than originally intended. Ask about the nursery. Mine allowed nursery from 11pm to 6am because yes, they want to encourage bonding, but they recognized that mamas need sleep. I was still awoken every 2 hours to feed my baby, but at least I could sleep. I was so attuned to the baby breathing and crying that there's no way I could sleep with her next to me, even if she was asleep. That nursery is critical to your physical and mental well-being, "baby bonding" be damned. You'll bond, trust us!
    Re- formula. Ask what happens if formula is needed. My hospital said they've got it if needed; some hospitals will only give it upon prescription from a doctor (or lactation person as someone else said). In my humble opinion, you shouldn't need the prescription- if you're struggling to feed, get some damn food in the kid, sheesh. As it turned out, DD lost 11% of her birthweight before check-out so the rounding pediatrician actually told us to supplement. I have a great nursing relationship with DD now but she still occasionally gets formula for either convenience or if she exhausts her pumped milk at daycare. AND-- we use Aldi's brand formula. Kids are formula is kind of a crapshoot; I think I'm lucky that DD can and will drink anything. Not all kids like or are able to digest all formula, so you just do trial-and-error. 

I also avoid Wal-Mart mainly due to their effect on small businesses. I also just don't like the look of the stores. Target all the way. 

I'm due May 1st, but because I live rurally the closest hospital that can deliver my baby is an hour away. There's only the one, LOL, no options, so I guess I will take what I can get :smile:

This is my 3rd at least, so I already know what to expect (both my others stayed in my room, I couldn't handle the idea of them being in a nursery, even for a few hours). It's a lovely option to have though. I haven't done my tour yet (the brand new L&D ward won't be open until April anyway) but I look forward to it. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    tlovesclimbing said:
    Re: diapers. We use cloth with disposable occasionally (trips and such). I got a few at my baby shower, and that was ok for meconium, but once she had real poops, straight up the back! I have yet to find a disposable brand that will contain poop. I've tried Walmart store brand, Luvs, Pampers and Huggies. The issue is they either have zero elastic in the back (most brands) or they don't have strong elastic in the back (Huggies). Cloth contains it because there is REAL elastic in the back. Huggies does the best of what I've tried. And saying they're the "best" doesn't at all mean they're good. It means they contain 10% of her poops and more quantity of poop unlike the other brands that don't contain any. I've tried sizing up and then it just comes out the legs no matter how much I tighten the diaper. 

Sorry if I gross anyone out, but I cannot heartily enough recommend against buying a ton of diapers ahead of time as I know some people do. 

I found that  if the diaper isn't containing the deposit you aren't using the right sized diaper.    Yes, some brands were just bad for newborns (I'm looking at you Target) but if every movement can't be contained you need to go up a size.   The weight limits are crap (pun intended). You need to move to the next size long before you're close to the weight limit.   Also, size 4 and 3 are close for weight but 4 offers more rear height.

My kids have been in disposables for all diaper wearing they did.   Blow outs were rare once I figured that out.   
    Yep, this was DefConn the entire time he was in diapers.  When he was itty bitty and had no butt, we used to get some of it up the back because there was nothing there to stop it.  We only had one true blowout and thankfully it happened at home.  The onesie was cut off of him.  ;) 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    tlovesclimbing said:
    Re: diapers. We use cloth with disposable occasionally (trips and such). I got a few at my baby shower, and that was ok for meconium, but once she had real poops, straight up the back! I have yet to find a disposable brand that will contain poop. I've tried Walmart store brand, Luvs, Pampers and Huggies. The issue is they either have zero elastic in the back (most brands) or they don't have strong elastic in the back (Huggies). Cloth contains it because there is REAL elastic in the back. Huggies does the best of what I've tried. And saying they're the "best" doesn't at all mean they're good. It means they contain 10% of her poops and more quantity of poop unlike the other brands that don't contain any. I've tried sizing up and then it just comes out the legs no matter how much I tighten the diaper. 

Sorry if I gross anyone out, but I cannot heartily enough recommend against buying a ton of diapers ahead of time as I know some people do. 

I found that  if the diaper isn't containing the deposit you aren't using the right sized diaper.    Yes, some brands were just bad for newborns (I'm looking at you Target) but if every movement can't be contained you need to go up a size.   The weight limits are crap (pun intended). You need to move to the next size long before you're close to the weight limit.   Also, size 4 and 3 are close for weight but 4 offers more rear height.

My kids have been in disposables for all diaper wearing they did.   Blow outs were rare once I figured that out.   
    Ditto this. All of our blow outs were due to the wrong size diaper, not the brand or disposible/cloth. #firsttimeparents 

We tried a bunch of brands and different types within brands. We actually landed on Costco brand diapers and wipes. They're really great. But ditto @lovesclimbing that it's good to buy a few small packages and test out different brands before finding yours. And don't judge a brand solely on the newborn experience - that mess is hard to manage no matter what brand you choose.

Cloth brands are all over the map in terms of comfort and preference too. So you don't want to just buy a ton of one kind and then later realize they aren't working out. We liked Bumgenius best.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    re: cloth diapers

My bff used cloth for 3/4 kids and swore by them, so she's actually helping me with what to get :) {cover vs insert, price vs quality, etc}

Honestly, if it weren't for her I probably wouldn't even entertain the idea of cloth because there is just sooooo many options and I didn't know that inserts varied for diff covers! 
  • Options
    TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    re: cloth diapers

My bff used cloth for 3/4 kids and swore by them, so she's actually helping me with what to get :) {cover vs insert, price vs quality, etc}

Honestly, if it weren't for her I probably wouldn't even entertain the idea of cloth because there is just sooooo many options and I didn't know that inserts varied for diff covers! 

We used a service for cloth for the first year. So amazing. If you can afford it, go this route at least for 6 months, otherwise all you are doing is diapers and striping. After a year we only had to do diapers 3-4 times a week. We had a combination of hemp and cotton. We used fitteds with double gusset covers. 
  • Options
    We used a service for cloth for the first year. So amazing. If you can afford it, go this route at least for 6 months, otherwise all you are doing is diapers and striping. After a year we only had to do diapers 3-4 times a week. We had a combination of hemp and cotton. We used fitteds with double gusset covers. 
    I looked into a few near me and the price just doesn't make sense enough for us to go with any.
    I'm keeping my eye open and I've mentioned that we're looking at that option also, so I've got others looking around also in case I miss something {or connections}
  • Options
    I looked into a few near me and the price just doesn't make sense enough for us to go with any.
    I'm keeping my eye open and I've mentioned that we're looking at that option also, so I've got others looking around also in case I miss something {or connections}
    If you go to baby shows, they usually have an introductory offer. If you realize how much laundry you will have to do and how many diapers you will go through in the first 6 months, your sanity is worth the price. 
  • Options
    If you go to baby shows, they usually have an introductory offer. If you realize how much laundry you will have to do and how many diapers you will go through in the first 6 months, your sanity is worth the price. 
    This is true. I do plan on doing a baby show for sure :) I love the women's show, so def doing that. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    tlovesclimbing said:

Ditto this. All of our blow outs were due to the wrong size diaper, not the brand or disposible/cloth. #firsttimeparents 

We tried a bunch of brands and different types within brands. We actually landed on Costco brand diapers and wipes. They're really great. But ditto @lovesclimbing that it's good to buy a few small packages and test out different brands before finding yours. And don't judge a brand solely on the newborn experience - that mess is hard to manage no matter what brand you choose.

Cloth brands are all over the map in terms of comfort and preference too. So you don't want to just buy a ton of one kind and then later realize they aren't working out. We liked Bumgenius best.
    Like I said, I have sized up, and they still blow out. She was 19 pounds wearing diapers advertised for more than 27 pounds, that's how much I sized up! When she's sitting on the ground, I can look straight down her back into the diaper. The diaper literally does not touch her back at the top regardless of how much I tighten it and regardless of size, so there's nothing there to stop poop. With cloth, poop goes straight up her back and it only stops at the elastic because it's strong and tight and touches her back.