Chit Chat

Missed part of my website on the save the dates

shoogarooshoogaroo member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
edited January 2018 in Chit Chat
I'm SO UPSETTTTTTTT I accidentally missed the /us on the save the date...and I ALREADY SENT OUT MY save the date 

Should I just try to make a joke out of it ? *as in try to laugh at it with people and apologise for the mistake, like wow I'm so sorry Im such a dud! * 

Re: Missed part of my website on the save the dates

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    huh? joke how?

You'll get a lot of questions about it, that's all.  And find out who tried to go to the site and who didn't.

• shoogarooshoogaroo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2018
    @CharmedPam as in try to laugh it off and apologise.

I went ahead and posted a fb status about it so people would know to ask me --tried to keep it light hearted with a GIF lol -- I know only a select 5 aunts will make it hot gossip. 
  • yeah I think most people will understand mistakes happen

• No,obviously not @MairePoppy , I think that's a reach that any random facebook friend would ask others for the information. Noone expects to be invited just for being a FB friend, and on top of that they could just ask for the information from a guest in general if they really wanted to.

I don't believe I need to keep it private that I am getting married, everyone on facebook knows I'm engaged due to that little "status" button, but obviously I did not give out the website online.  I mentioned I messed up the URL and that  I was having a meltdown thats all. 

Anyways they could just google my name and wedding and find our website if they are trying that hard to find out details-or look up my name on the knot. 

• I'm not sure what website host you're using, but I actually did the same thing (mixed up the order of our names in the URL). I had caught the issue on the digital proof but then the stationer printed the incorrect version I had sent originally, and I didn't realize until my MOH pointed it out when she received hers. I was able to talk to the website host's customer service, and they helped me change the URL to what was printed. No idea if that would be possible in your case, but there may be hope! 

If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. People will likely not pay attention to the URL on the save the date and either ask you for it later or just google it if/when they need to find travel/registry info, etc. That's what happened for us at least. Even though it was printed, people asked us for the URL months later when the formal invites were sent and they actually needed the info. Typically when save the dates are sent, people aren't yet in the mindset of needing to find travel details or registry information, and other than your close families and bridal party members, hate to break it to you, but most people don't actually keep the thing on their fridge for six months :smile:

Also, another option you have is just adding an insert into the invitation suite with the corrected link. No need to draw attention to the fact that it's corrected/different than what was previously printed, but like I said, this is likely when people would be accessing the website anyhow. 
  • @SoonToBeSmith0512 Thank you so much--I agree, people already said they just googled our names and the website came up . It is a great idea to add an insert to the invite! 

I used Theknot and its theknot.com/us/(names)  I missed the /us
  • shoogaroo said: I
    No,obviously not @MairePoppy , I think that's a reach that any random facebook friend would ask others for the information. Noone expects to be invited just for being a FB friend, and on top of that they could just ask for the information from a guest in general if they really wanted to.

I don't believe I need to keep it private that I am getting married, everyone on facebook knows I'm engaged due to that little "status" button, but obviously I did not give out the website online.  I mentioned I messed up the URL and that  I was having a meltdown thats all. 

Anyways they could just google my name and wedding and find our website if they are trying that hard to find out details-or look up my name on the knot. 

There's something about weddings that brings the crazy out of people.  A good rule of thumb is to keep wedding talk off social media.  Sure, people know you're engaged and that a wedding is on the horizon, so it's not a secret.  You'll be surprised, however, by people who will assume they're invited to your wedding and take it personally if they're not.   
  • Yeah I definitely have not put out any details, just that I am planning .
  • I would say that mentioning your Save the Dates and the wedding website mix-up is putting details out there.  

Nothing has made me cringe more than a casual FB friend who made random statuses about her wedding and planning.  Here are a few:

"Welp, the bank deposited all of our wedding gift money into someones account... no idea whose."

"Missing a cell phone from the wedding last night? We have It! Older model Samsung"

• Ro041 said:
    I would say that mentioning your Save the Dates and the wedding website mix-up is putting details out there.  

Nothing has made me cringe more than a casual FB friend who made random statuses about her wedding and planning.  Here are a few:

"Welp, the bank deposited all of our wedding gift money into someones account... no idea whose."

"Missing a cell phone from the wedding last night? We have It! Older model Samsung"

Eh, the first one makes me cringe, but the second one doesn't. If I had hosted a couple hundred people and needed to see who lost a cell phone, this seems like a good way to do it! Also, after the wedding I think in general it's ok to post pics and things, like, the event has already happened, but I find "planning complaints" annoying.

OP - 99% of the time I forget the URL and google the more unique last name + wedding and get to the site and/or registry. I know this stinks, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've also been to a bunch of theknot.com wedding websites before, and if I got an "error" message I would probably remember that they usually have an /us/ in them. Personally, I don't think there's much you can do about this. If you have a few group texts with friend groups, it can't hurt to send them a heads up, but beyond that I think you have to trust people to know how to internet a little.
  • Thanks all--it has been settled. Fortunately I feel as though the status about messing up the URL was fine. All of my family and friends were fine with it too and we made a joke out of it. 

I'm not one to ever post anything really, and in these times technology has become a huge part of wedding planning. 
     I didn't post any information about my wedding just that the URL was messed up and nothing else about it.

Most people realized to google it--but you know life is life we all make mistakes and we are all only human. Most people are not etiquette sticklers and don't care! 

Also on the world wide web people have access to anything and while I make an effort so that random people don't have access to my wedding info, anyone I know can google my name or his. 

• shoogaroo said:
    Thanks all--it has been settled. Fortunately I feel as though the status about messing up the URL was fine. All of my family and friends were fine with it too and we made a joke out of it. 

I'm not one to ever post anything really, and in these times technology has become a huge part of wedding planning. 
     I didn't post any information about my wedding just that the URL was messed up and nothing else about it.

Most people realized to google it--but you know life is life we all make mistakes and we are all only human. Most people are not etiquette sticklers and don't care! 

Also on the world wide web people have access to anything and while I make an effort so that random people don't have access to my wedding info, anyone I know can google my name or his. 

Yes, anyone can google you.  But there is a difference between people searching out information online and it being shoved in their FB-face.  No one is saying that you have done anything against etiquette per se, but we are cautioning you about what you post in the future since you decided to post that information.  There are good reasons for that tip - as @holyguacamole79 pointed out - people will assume you are invited to their wedding and will get upset if they aren't especially if they have been getting fb updates in the form of statuses leading up to it.