Wedding Woes
Options

Apple Cider Vinegar

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar

• Options
    I have a lot of family members who swear by it. My mother says when she has a sore neck, it makes it go away. My H uses it in tea when he's sick. I haven't taken it regularly enough to notice it helping with everything. 

I do think it can help with smaller ailments. I actually just googled, and apparently people claim it can help with weight loss, diabetes, teeth whitening, which I don't agree with. 

I think there are lots of smaller things that more natural remedies like extra Vitamin C, homeopathics, plant extracts, ACV, etc. can help with, but they're still no miracle cure for everything. 

Funny story, I actually learned from my aunt that an extended relative I've never met was OBSESSED with keeping his body (either acidic or alkaline, I don't remember which. Whichever one your body isn't) because supposedly you can't get cancer or get sick if you can do that! So he'd eat horrific things and put weird things on his food. Drink vinegar. In this effort, one of the things he did that resulted in a hospital visit was give himself HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ENEMAS. Yes, you heard me right, I said HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ENEMAS. I cannot make this up, people! So that's one of the crazies in my family. 

The slightly funny and ironic thing is he ended up dying of cancer. Apparently because he couldn't do enough stuff to keep his body at the right ph level. 
    It’s alkaline. There’s a shocking amount of people who think this way. A parenting group I’m in just had a woman suggesting that a pregnant woman should douche with salt water 2x a day to create an alkaline environment in her vagina to clear up a yeast infection. She had no evidence of it. Just thought it might be a good idea. Told the pregnant woman to let her know how it works out if she doesn’t it. 
  • Options
    MRDCle said:
    I have a lot of family members who swear by it. My mother says when she has a sore neck, it makes it go away. My H uses it in tea when he's sick. I haven't taken it regularly enough to notice it helping with everything. 

I do think it can help with smaller ailments. I actually just googled, and apparently people claim it can help with weight loss, diabetes, teeth whitening, which I don't agree with. 

I think there are lots of smaller things that more natural remedies like extra Vitamin C, homeopathics, plant extracts, ACV, etc. can help with, but they're still no miracle cure for everything. 

Funny story, I actually learned from my aunt that an extended relative I've never met was OBSESSED with keeping his body (either acidic or alkaline, I don't remember which. Whichever one your body isn't) because supposedly you can't get cancer or get sick if you can do that! So he'd eat horrific things and put weird things on his food. Drink vinegar. In this effort, one of the things he did that resulted in a hospital visit was give himself HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ENEMAS. Yes, you heard me right, I said HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ENEMAS. I cannot make this up, people! So that's one of the crazies in my family. 

The slightly funny and ironic thing is he ended up dying of cancer. Apparently because he couldn't do enough stuff to keep his body at the right ph level. 
    It’s alkaline. There’s a shocking amount of people who think this way. A parenting group I’m in just had a woman suggesting that a pregnant woman should douche with salt water 2x a day to create an alkaline environment in her vagina to clear up a yeast infection. She had no evidence of it. Just thought it might be a good idea. Told the pregnant woman to let her know how it works out if she doesn’t it. 
    Salt is neutral so that wouldn't work at all if you are talking about NaCl. Body pH is pretty well regulated by the body itself.
  • Options
    MRDCle said:

Salt is neutral so that wouldn't work at all if you are talking about NaCl. Body pH is pretty well regulated by the body itself.

*SITB* Maybe that's why this woman specified it had to be MAGICAL CELTIC GREY SALT or MAGICAL HIMALAYAN PINK SALT.

It's a frustrating group to be a part of, ha.
  • Options
    MRDCle said:
    MRDCle said:

*SITB* Maybe that's why this woman specified it had to be MAGICAL CELTIC GREY SALT or MAGICAL HIMALAYAN PINK SALT.

I wish science was mandatory throughout school. I had a conversation about “detoxes” for kidney and liver function, i was all, “do you understand how those organs work?” 
  • Options
    MRDCle said:
    MRDCle said:

I wish science was mandatory throughout school. I had a conversation about “detoxes” for kidney and liver function, i was all, “do you understand how those organs work?” 
    SMH
  • Options
    MRDCle said:

Ah, yes, that's it. My aunt said that relative of mine included eating tons of salt on his food. 

Fwiw, there are health benefits to eating special salt - Himalayan or other unrefined as opposed to the refined, iodized Morton's or whatever. But NOT for douching! Ouch!
  • Options
    The whole alkaline thing drives be bonkers. Do you know what it means if your pH is alkaline for real? Bad bad things. Like hospitalization and death bad things. And people can stfu with their alkaline vaginas. Vaginas are supposed to be acidic. It’s what keeps out bacteria and a host of other problems. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    The whole alkaline thing drives be bonkers. Do you know what it means if your pH is alkaline for real? Bad bad things. Like hospitalization and death bad things. And people can stfu with their alkaline vaginas. Vaginas are supposed to be acidic. It’s what keeps out bacteria and a host of other problems. 
    TBH the salt water was one of the LEAST awful things they were suggesting she put up there.  Cloves of garlic, packing it full of yogurt, a tampon soaked in EOs....

• Options
    MRDCle said:
    Apparently a warm bath with baking soda {approx teaspoon} works really well for a yeast infection.
    Idk if okay for pregnancy though
  • Options
    You know what works really damn well?  Going to the freaking doctor instead of trying to ACV, baking soda, coconut oil, garlic in your vag, or any other internet remedy your way to super duper health!  
    I had one last week - didn't even have to go in. The doctor called an Rx in to the pharmacy! 
  • Options
    You know what works really damn well?  Going to the freaking doctor instead of trying to ACV, baking soda, coconut oil, garlic in your vag, or any other internet remedy your way to super duper health!  
    Agreed but sometimes meds are too heavy for what you need.
    I've had a yeast infection and the dr said it wasn't bad enough for meds, so suggested I eat yogurt and bath with baking soda.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I wish I could love this more than once!
  • Options
    MRDCle said:
    levioosa said:
    TBH the salt water was one of the LEAST awful things they were suggesting she put up there.  Cloves of garlic, packing it full of yogurt, a tampon soaked in EOs....

That is just gross.
  • Options
    i use it in cooking, that's all. 
  • Options
    MRDCle said:
    levioosa said:

So I'm in a mom group and one of the moms was asking for a "home remedy" on how to avoid being Group B Strep positive. The things people were saying were outrageous. Packing her vagina full of yogurt was one suggestion. 

I mean, the entire conversation translated to "I don't trust doctors. I would rather take advice from crunchy, uneducated internet moms who have "done their research" (aka spent some time googling and only clicking on links that overuse the words natural, organic, and coconut oil).
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    MRDCle said:
    levioosa said:

So I'm in a mom group and one of the moms was asking for a "home remedy" on how to avoid being Group B Strep positive. The things people were saying were outrageous. Packing her vagina full of yogurt was one suggestion. 

I mean, the entire conversation translated to "I don't trust doctors. I would rather take advice from crunchy, uneducated internet moms who have "done their research" (aka spent some time googling and only clicking on links that overuse the words natural, organic, and coconut oil).
    LOL yogurt vag. People will believe whatever is on the interwebs. I also blame Gwyneth Paltrow/goop and her vag steaming/jade eggs/peeing in the shower/bee sting remedies. 
  • Options
    All they need is a big ol bowl of grass and leaves hillbilly bajingo wash

• Options
    So, yoghurt douching is actually recommended by some health care providers. The evidence is limited however. You'd probably see it much more with Functional Medicine type providers. You can also get vaginal probiotics, but the evidence doesn't suggest that it is overwhelmingly better/more successful at treating conditions over oral ingestion of probiotics, and it isn't suggested as primary treatment, only supplementary treatment. So far there isn't evidence that garlic/tea tree oil does anything for the vagina. And honestly, putting tea tree oil on an already angry vagina just sounds like a terrible day to me. This is also more specific to bacterial vaginosis, not necessarily candidiasis or the million other conditions the vagina can have. In all seriousness though, if you have some funk...get thee to the clinic.  

• Options
    levioosa said:
    So, yoghurt douching is actually recommended by some health care providers. The evidence is limited however. You'd probably see it much more with Functional Medicine type providers. You can also get vaginal probiotics, but the evidence doesn't suggest that it is overwhelmingly better/more successful at treating conditions over oral ingestion of probiotics, and it isn't suggested as primary treatment, only supplementary treatment. So far there isn't evidence that garlic/tea tree oil does anything for the vagina. And honestly, putting tea tree oil on an already angry vagina just sounds like a terrible day to me. This is also more specific to bacterial vaginosis, not necessarily candidiasis or the million other conditions the vagina can have. In all seriousness though, if you have some funk...get thee to the clinic.  

If you use blueberry or pomegranate or acai, you can get the additional benefits of antioxidants!

Sorry...I couldn't resist.  :D
  • Options
    All they need is a big ol bowl of grass and leaves hillbilly bajingo wash

I'm pretty sure the big ones are bay leaves! They look exactly like what I put in soup. 
  • Options
    apparently baby B's daycare teacher drinks ACV every morning because this morning the room reeked and she said she drinks it every morning and accidentally spilled it.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    apparently baby B's daycare teacher drinks ACV every morning because this morning the room reeked and she said she drinks it every morning and accidentally spilled it.
    Image result for gagging gif
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Did she say why she does it? I'm always curious on why people do it.
  • Options
    I didn't ask, she just said she "loves the stuff". 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    How much does she drink??? I would be concerned that too much vinegar would be abrasive on her stomach/esophagus over time...
  • Options
    I'm not sure, it actually just came up because I told B he was stinky and I think she thought i said the room was stinky because that is when she said she spilled it but she loves the stuff. The room did smell vinegary although I just figured it was a stinky diaper haha
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    How much does she drink??? I would be concerned that too much vinegar would be abrasive on her stomach/esophagus over time...
    When you drink it, you are supposed to dilute, not just take a shot of it. When my mom takes it, she dilutes a capful (something like a teaspoon or a touch more) in a regular 8 oz glass of water. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I mean no one loves it for the taste - that's for sure. So I wonder if she "loves the stuff" because she thinks it keeps her skinny or regular or energized or whatever claims people have about it. I'm just so curious. But I'm afraid to ask anyone I know because I know it's one of those "so tell me why you eat vegan" questions and you're in for like 25 minutes of health lecture.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    kvruns said:
    I mean no one loves it for the taste - that's for sure. So I wonder if she "loves the stuff" because she thinks it keeps her skinny or regular or energized or whatever claims people have about it. I'm just so curious. But I'm afraid to ask anyone I know because I know it's one of those "so tell me why you eat vegan" questions and you're in for like 25 minutes of health lecture.

I actually do like the taste of ACV, lol.  For example, if I'm doing fish 'n chips, I use a lot.  Where it is "vinegar taste first", then the taste of the fries or fish. Though certainly not to the extent where I would drink a cupful of it.  But I could without too much "ick" reaction.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker