Wedding Woes
Options

Scary climate change reports means big changes for us

124»

Re: Scary climate change reports means big changes for us

• Options
    kvruns said:
    I think she was saying most people don't want to leave the state except her kids wanted to. Unless I misread that.  I definitely have some friends who left for bigger cities in other states although a lot of them have come back now that they have families. And Indy is definitely getting more into the tech scene in the northern suburbs especially so I think that is helping to bring people back.

That is interesting on the OC because I was very surprised at some of the comments from my ILs. I just assumed my MIL was liberal (born and raised in So Cal) but when we visited earlier this year I got a different view. And the neighbor who was moving to Idaho I'm pretty sure they were like crazy, alt-right almost kind of people (my ILs are NOT like that)

That just makes them normal for OC, lol.

But some of us were able to escape without the attitude of Democrats=Communists.

And the rest of So. CA isn't like that, even though the general "feel" of the culture is the same.  But it's super conservative OC county sandwiched between moderately liberal San Diego and Los Angeles counties.

San Diego is more conservative than you think! Heavy military influence. I've lived in LA and SD and SD is lightyears different. The OC is such a mindfuck to me (politic-wise)

Thanks for the more updated slant on San Diego.  It's been 15+ years since I lived in CA, though my family is still out that way.

I went to college in northern San Diego County (CSUSM).  But my perception could have been skewed from just having lived in OC and hanging out with my fellow college kids.  Most of whom were liberal because, you know, we were in college, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @kvruns. Indiana is traditionally republican except the urban areas of Indianapolis and Gary (Chicagoland). Most of my friends are left of middle to moderate with a few pretty liberal. Other than my own children, I know no one who can't wait to leave the state. My own kids won't come back - except maybe DS2 because of the technology companies that are moving to Indy from CA. Cost of living is reasonable and Indy has a lot to offer sports/culture wise.

Oh?  Why do people want to leave the state?  Because of politics, ie they're more liberal and the state isn't?  Or other reasons?

I forgot Gary is in Indiana.  I just had a flashback to the Gary, Indiana song from the Music Man, lol.

Yeah, I had too many negatives in that sentence lol. Sorry about that - I'm running on too little sleep lately. My kids are the only ones I know who won't come back. Everyone else plans on staying - except the snowbirds who have winter places in Florida!

Oh good!  Thanks for the correction.  We've all been there with the double negatives, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kahluakoalakahluakoala member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    kvruns said:
    I think she was saying most people don't want to leave the state except her kids wanted to. Unless I misread that.  I definitely have some friends who left for bigger cities in other states although a lot of them have come back now that they have families. And Indy is definitely getting more into the tech scene in the northern suburbs especially so I think that is helping to bring people back.

That is interesting on the OC because I was very surprised at some of the comments from my ILs. I just assumed my MIL was liberal (born and raised in So Cal) but when we visited earlier this year I got a different view. And the neighbor who was moving to Idaho I'm pretty sure they were like crazy, alt-right almost kind of people (my ILs are NOT like that)

That just makes them normal for OC, lol.

But some of us were able to escape without the attitude of Democrats=Communists.

And the rest of So. CA isn't like that, even though the general "feel" of the culture is the same.  But it's super conservative OC county sandwiched between moderately liberal San Diego and Los Angeles counties.

San Diego is more conservative than you think! Heavy military influence. I've lived in LA and SD and SD is lightyears different. The OC is such a mindfuck to me (politic-wise)

Thanks for the more updated slant on San Diego.  It's been 15+ years since I lived in CA, though my family is still out that way.

I went to college in northern San Diego County (CSUSM).  But my perception could have been skewed from just having lived in OC and hanging out with my fellow college kids.  Most of whom were liberal because, you know, we were in college, lol.

Yeah it's kind of a mixed bag - lots of tech and healthcare professionals (mostly liberal, lots of immigrants and H1B visas), and then a huge military presence and really conservative communities when you start to get 30+ minutes from the coast. I have also lived in NYC and Boston, and of the 4 cities, SD is the most conservative leaning though with a lot of extremes. 

Edit: To answer your original question I'll give my perspective on SD real estate - My perspective is that home prices are significantly higher than their rental value. I think SD is a renters market for sure! Home prices are similar to LA (especially in desirable neighborhoods), but rent is only 50-60% of what rent is in LA.
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018

Not quite related to my original post, lol.  But, since a few PPs mentioned looking at where Amazon is putting their new headquarters, they just narrowed the list to 20 cities:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-narrows-list-of-cities-for-new-headquarters-to-20/ar-AAuQP8o?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

@kimmiinthemitten, You mentioned Amazon first but, alas, Detroit is not one of them.

From "my" potential list.  Indy, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Raleigh are.  My H and I recently started looking at Fayatteville, NC (about an hour outside of Raleigh).  ROIs are decent, though not as good as other places.  But, for us personally, I think we'd really enjoy living in Raleigh.  I've been there once, though it was years ago, and I really loved it.  Decent weather.  Nice people.  Great cosmopolitan vibe.  Strong IT industry for my H.

Edited to add.  Below is another link to an article titled:  Amazon's Rejects Groveled for Months Only to Be Left Out in the Cold

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazons-rejects-groveled-for-months-only-to-be-left-out-in-cold/ar-AAuRiSS?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

It's actually a pretty fun/funny read.

@MissKittyDanger, Ottowa wasn't the only Canadian city to lose out.  Winnipeg and Calgary losers are mentioned.  In fact, apparently Calgary had said it was willing to fight a bear, though the article was not sure what that meant, lol.

@kimmiinthemitten, Detroit gets the biggest mention with a small paragraph devoted just to them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Not quite related to my original post, lol.  But, since a few PPs mentioned looking at where Amazon is putting their new headquarters, they just narrowed the list to 20 cities:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-narrows-list-of-cities-for-new-headquarters-to-20/ar-AAuQP8o?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

@kimmiinthemitten, You mentioned Amazon first but, alas, Detroit is not one of them.

From "my" potential list.  Indy, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Raleigh are.  My H and I recently started looking at Fayatteville, NC (about an hour outside of Raleigh).  ROIs are decent, though not as good as other places.  But, for us personally, I think we'd really enjoy living in Raleigh.  I've been there once, though it was years ago, and I really loved it.  Decent weather.  Nice people.  Great cosmopolitan vibe.  Strong IT industry for my H.

I don't know when my city was taken out of the option, for awhile they were looking at our city for Amazon HQ {screw you Toronto! lol} and I thought we were still in the running ....
  • Options

I don't know when my city was taken out of the option, for awhile they were looking at our city for Amazon HQ {screw you Toronto! lol} and I thought we were still in the running ....

Yeah!  I'm also side-eyeing some of the "big" cities that already have a lot going on.  C'mon Amazon!  Throw some love to more medium-sized cities.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm originally from Durham so would move to the Raleigh-Durham area in a skinny minute. I love it down there. You are close to the coast and to the mountains. OK now I'm getting home sick.
  • Options

Yeah!  I'm also side-eyeing some of the "big" cities that already have a lot going on.  C'mon Amazon!  Throw some love to more medium-sized cities.
    Don't get me wrong, Ottawa has a lot going on but I think we should be on the list instead of Toronto since we're the country's capital *side eye*
  • Options

I'm originally from Durham so would move to the Raleigh-Durham area in a skinny minute. I love it down there. You are close to the coast and to the mountains. OK now I'm getting home sick.

We don't want to be near the coast, hence our move out of NOLA in the next few years, but it seemed like Raleigh-Durham is far enough away to not have the same global warming issues that we are concerned with.  Would you agree with that?  For example, when a hurricane hits the NC coast, I'm assuming Raleigh would have some bad weather from it.  But not hurricane force winds and/or flooding issues.

Other than that, being close enough to the coast or mountains for weekend getaways does sound awesome!  Thanks for your opinion about the area.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We don't want to be near the coast, hence our move out of NOLA in the next few years, but it seemed like Raleigh-Durham is far enough away to not have the same global warming issues that we are concerned with.  Would you agree with that?  For example, when a hurricane hits the NC coast, I'm assuming Raleigh would have some bad weather from it.  But not hurricane force winds and/or flooding issues.

Other than that, being close enough to the coast or mountains for weekend getaways does sound awesome!  Thanks for your opinion about the area.

Yes, exactly right. The middle of state would get bad storms but not the hurricane force storms and flooding that the coast gets. They are about 3-4 hours from the SC coast and a little further from the NC coast (depending on where) because of the way NC juts out. I remember as a kid going down to Morehead City on Sunday to have an early dinner and driving home!
  • Options
    Yeah, at first I thought Detroit didn't have a chance, and then the proposal was released to the public and I was impressed and hopeful.  I'm disappointed, but still not surprised.  A few years ago, there was a tri-county bid to improve our public transit, and one county (that also voted for Trump) voted it down, and Amazon is likely a casualty from that.

But what other city offered a two-country deal?  Nonezos.  That's who.
  • Options
    Yeah, at first I thought Detroit didn't have a chance, and then the proposal was released to the public and I was impressed and hopeful.  I'm disappointed, but still not surprised.  A few years ago, there was a tri-county bid to improve our public transit, and one county (that also voted for Trump) voted it down, and Amazon is likely a casualty from that.

But what other city offered a two-country deal?  Nonezos.  That's who.
    Buffalo ;) 

But just kidding because I think ours was actually Buffalo-Rochester. But we're a border city, too. 
  • Options

Edited to add.  Below is another link to an article titled:  Amazon's Rejects Groveled for Months Only to Be Left Out in the Cold

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazons-rejects-groveled-for-months-only-to-be-left-out-in-cold/ar-AAuRiSS?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

@MissKittyDanger, Ottowa wasn't the only Canadian city to lose out.  Winnipeg and Calgary losers are mentioned.  In fact, apparently Calgary had said it was willing to fight a bear, though the article was not sure what that meant, lol.

@kimmiinthemitten, Detroit gets the biggest mention with a small paragraph devoted just to them.

It's Canada - my guess is this was a literal bear. Like a grizzly. They're only a few hour drive from the Canadian Rockies - a bear could be obtained pretty easily. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

It's Canada - my guess is this was a literal bear. Like a grizzly. They're only a few hour drive from the Canadian Rockies - a bear could be obtained pretty easily. 
    You are not wrong :|

Although I think a Canada Goose might give a better fight. Those things are fucking nasty birds.
  • Options
    I'm super preturbed that Boston is still on the list. Don't get me wrong, it's a great city and I love it here, but for the love of Peter Paul and Mary we cannot handle another big HQ here. 

We're building a lot of residential buildings here but we do NOT have the infrastructure to support another 50K employees commuting into the city. The T sucks, the commuter rail sucks, and don't get me started on the highway traffic. 

I mean for crying out loud my 15-mile commute takes an hour and a half now. 
  • Options
    I'm super preturbed that Boston is still on the list. Don't get me wrong, it's a great city and I love it here, but for the love of Peter Paul and Mary we cannot handle another big HQ here. 

We're building a lot of residential buildings here but we do NOT have the infrastructure to support another 50K employees commuting into the city. The T sucks, the commuter rail sucks, and don't get me started on the highway traffic. 

Exactly!  I was thinking the same thing about NYC and L.A.  There are already major housing shortages in those cities.  Rents and commutes are both outrageous.

Amazon could be the big fish in a medium sized pond ;).  As opposed to just another big fish in the vast ocean.

As an aside, I wish I could put Boston on the list for my RE endeavors.  I think my H and I would love living there.  But the HCOL and high real estate prices, even though rents are also high, are just too spicy and the math doesn't make any sense for our purposes.

You all are crazy with Dunkin' Donuts locations!  Maybe if I open the millionth one in Boston, DD will waive my franchise fees, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Fayetteville should be crossed off your list. People will tell you it's an hour from Raleigh, but that's in ideal situations. One of my coworkers commutes from there and it's at least 1.5 hours each way. There is literally nothing there besides a military base. It's a long, boring drive to just about anywhere.

Look at Raleigh! Durham is also growing quickly and is a little more inexpensive than Raleigh (at least right now). Most of the tech jobs are downtown Raleigh or the Research Triangle Area which is between both cities. We live in Durham and my H worked downtown Raleigh for years and didn't hate his commute (it was like 40ish minutes on a good day, over an hour if there was an accident). I moved to this area about 5 years ago and love it. There are so many transplants it's been easy to make friends, and there's always something fun going on. We're about 2 hours from the ocean, 3 hours from the mountains, and 5-6 hours from a bunch of other cool shit (DC, Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, Smokies, etc).
  • Options

Exactly!  I was thinking the same thing about NYC and L.A.  There are already major housing shortages in those cities.  Rents and commutes are both outrageous.

Amazon could be the big fish in a medium sized pond ;).  As opposed to just another big fish in the vast ocean.

As an aside, I wish I could put Boston on the list for my RE endeavors.  I think my H and I would love living there.  But the HCOL and high real estate prices, even though rents are also high, are just too spicy and the math doesn't make any sense for our purposes.

You all are crazy with Dunkin' Donuts locations!  Maybe if I open the millionth one in Boston, DD will waive my franchise fees, lol.

You know Dunks was born in MA - there's even a Dunkin Donuts University lol. We are nuts about Dunkin, but my coffee-loving ass has now found Mary Lou's (local South Shore chain) that has an extra-large (24oz) coffee. When Dunks makes a 24-oz coffee I will switch back. 

The COL up here is high - a lot of people choose to live in RI or NH and commute to Boston for that reason. 
  • Options

Fayetteville should be crossed off your list. People will tell you it's an hour from Raleigh, but that's in ideal situations. One of my coworkers commutes from there and it's at least 1.5 hours each way. There is literally nothing there besides a military base. It's a long, boring drive to just about anywhere.

Look at Raleigh! Durham is also growing quickly and is a little more inexpensive than Raleigh (at least right now). Most of the tech jobs are downtown Raleigh or the Research Triangle Area which is between both cities. We live in Durham and my H worked downtown Raleigh for years and didn't hate his commute (it was like 40ish minutes on a good day, over an hour if there was an accident). I moved to this area about 5 years ago and love it. There are so many transplants it's been easy to make friends, and there's always something fun going on. We're about 2 hours from the ocean, 3 hours from the mountains, and 5-6 hours from a bunch of other cool shit (DC, Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, Smokies, etc).

Thanks for the input!  I didn't realize you lived in Durham.

I still wouldn't mind owning a small apartment complex or mobile home park property in Fayatteville, even if we lived in Raleigh-Durham.  We'd have a property manager anyway with the added bonus that we could still easily drive down to the area and check on things, as needed.  From a REI perspective, I like that it is a military town.  More tenant turnover, but there are also always people looking.

With higher real estate values in Raleigh-Durham, I could see that area being a better target for fix 'n flips.  Which do need more hands-on, daily management.  Plus, you have confirmed my assumptions, lol.  Fayatteville has sounded too small town for me.  We're city people and would be happier living in the larger Raleigh-Durham area. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I lived in Durham for a summer a few years ago! I loved it. There was so much to do, really good food, I had a great time!
  • Options

You know Dunks was born in MA - there's even a Dunkin Donuts University lol. We are nuts about Dunkin, but my coffee-loving ass has now found Mary Lou's (local South Shore chain) that has an extra-large (24oz) coffee. When Dunks makes a 24-oz coffee I will switch back. 

The COL up here is high - a lot of people choose to live in RI or NH and commute to Boston for that reason. 

When my H and I vacationed there in Sept. 2016, we stayed at an AirBnB in Revere Beach.  There were TWO DD's within walking distance, lol.  As opposed to where I live.  There are only two DD's that I know of and they are both a 30+ minute drive away, to the suburbs.

Revere Beach had a lot of gorgeous multi-family homes.  And so convenient to downtown Boston.  We daydreamed about owning some of them...just without the mortgages, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the input!  I didn't realize you lived in Durham.

I still wouldn't mind owning a small apartment complex or mobile home park property in Fayatteville, even if we lived in Raleigh-Durham.  We'd have a property manager anyway with the added bonus that we could still easily drive down to the area and check on things, as needed.  From a REI perspective, I like that it is a military town.  More tenant turnover, but there are also always people looking.

With higher real estate values in Raleigh-Durham, I could see that area being a better target for fix 'n flips.  Which do need more hands-on, daily management.  Plus, you have confirmed my assumptions, lol.  Fayatteville has sounded too small town for me.  We're city people and would be happier living in the larger Raleigh-Durham area. 

Ahh yes, I forgot you mentioned you were looking for rental properties. Fayetteville would be good for that with the military population that's moving around a lot! It doesn't seem like there would be a shortage of tenants for you.