Wedding Woes

Prudie Day (I think; is it Thursday?)!!

I know I say this a lot, but short weeks throw my schedule off so much I forget what day it is. 

I had the hardest time waking up and getting out to work this morning. I hope I'm not getting H's sickness (which I'm 93% convinced was the flu) because he's still not 100% and I don't have time for that. 

Other than that, not too much here. It's still snowing, it's still cold. I believe January is the worst month (sorry any January birthdays); it's long, it's cold, it's dreary, and there's such a let down after all the excitement of the holidays. I'm ready for February. 

Re: Prudie Day (I think; is it Thursday?)!!

• I know I say this a lot, but short weeks throw my schedule off so much I forget what day it is. 

I had the hardest time waking up and getting out to work this morning. I hope I'm not getting H's sickness (which I'm 93% convinced was the flu) because he's still not 100% and I don't have time for that. 

Other than that, not too much here. It's still snowing, it's still cold. I believe January is the worst month (sorry any January birthdays); it's long, it's cold, it's dreary, and there's such a let down after all the excitement of the holidays. I'm ready for February. 
    eh.  You can throw February in there too.  Short weeks always make for long feeling weeks though.  Like, hurry up, Friday you can come any time now! 

• It is Prudie day. :D They changed their site format and it's throwing me off. 

It's sunny today.  It's still cold.  But I am happy for the sun vs. grey and dreary. 
  • @charlotte989875 I feel you. I was home sick monday and booked tuesday off, so it's like "oh fuck it's already thursday!" {legit only reason I remembered was because i got paid today lmfao}

This post sums up January:

Also is it ironic that MLK day was on what is called "Blue Monday" ? Given how depressing 2017 was ....

So I met my mum's "boyfriend" last night :|
    I'll preface, with he's a nice guy. My mum has a type, this guy could pass as my dad's brother so much it throws me off a lot.
    He's very smart, and creative {mechanical engineer and welding as a hobby}

Downside - he's a flat earther {to what degree, idk}, and conspiracy theorist. I actually don't know how much my mum will be able to deal with if he is strongly opinionated.

At one point I went to get a snack - while M and him were talking and half arguing {M appreciated that he listened but he said the issue about the theories is that none of them connected .... they were kind of all over the map} M listened to him also, and to a degree he understood where he could come from. Over time, M has learned how to bite his tongue because sometimes it's just not worth the argument.

ANYWAYS so my mum and I were in the kitchen - I'm hunting for snacks, she wanted my opinion and to also make sure I found something relatively healthy - and we were both looking at each other like "oh. my. gawd. wtf :| "

Again, he's a nice guy otherwise. Both him and my mum have a lot in common in weird ways.

It's just really weird for her dating {although it's weird for her too - she hasn't dated is '84 lol}
  • mrsconn23 said:
    It is Prudie day. :D They changed their site format and it's throwing me off. 

It's sunny today.  It's still cold.  But I am happy for the sun vs. grey and dreary. 
    I swear, every time I want it sunny it's so friggen cold :( Only time I wish for grey skies is winter
  • (snip)

Downside - he's a flat earther {to what degree, idk}, and conspiracy theorist. I actually don't know how much my mum will be able to deal with if he is strongly opinionated.

(snip)
    Dude. I cannot with these people. I actually didn't know they existed until I heard about the guy who brought a level onto a plane to "prove it". lmao!

Like, it's one thing to question 9/11. I'll eyeroll that, but ok whatever. But the earth being flat? You have to be a special kind of stupid and intentionally obtuse to actually believe that. 
    You'll love this part:
    Him: are you a conspiracy theorist?
    M: uhm ... never really considered myself one, but what do you mean?
    Him: *asks about 9/11 then God*
    M: I'm an atheist, so I guess in that sense yes? *wary looks*
    Him: Oh! So you're a flat earth believer!!!
    M: *notably trying not to jaw drop* I have no idea why you would think that my not believing in God would mean I believe the earth is flat ...
    *they proceed to discuss about that*
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018

Took yesterday off, due to weather conditions.  On the one hand, it was awesome to have a "surprise" day off.   I didn't even change out  of my warm and comfy flannel nightgown, lol.  On the other hand, it was a bit of a stressful day worrying about pipes.

It was the coldest day in NOLA for the last 20 years.  Our personal home (duplex) is raised almost 3' off the ground.  So all the exterior piping is exposed to the elements.  Despite my H's best efforts of babysitting the faucets/pipe situation on Tues. night, some of our pipes still froze.  For our side, none of them burst (phew).  But, for our tenant's side, there were a couple that did.  Fortunately, none of them on the interior.  Our plumber, who is a good friend and lives nearby, came out last night to cap the "bad" pipes.  So we could at least turn the water back on (the water line feeds both sides).  He is coming back today to hopefully fix them.

95% of our plumbing is PEX.  But there are a few smaller pipes that are still the old galvanized ones.  The two that broke were galvanized.  No surprise there.

We haven't heard from any other tenants.  And those homes are newer with the more typical concrete slab under them, so I think we're safe.

No snow, but our backyard was almost covered in white from the ice.  For us, pretty crazy and surreal.  If my H send me the pic, I'll post it later.  Our dog was a bit puzzled by the white stuff on the ground and, at first, was looking at it.  She did not appear to like it, but was still game to walk around the backyard a bit.  Just not in her usual frantic excitement, lol.

Two updates:

20 minutes before getting off work and my blood sugar feels low.  Check it.  It is.  Go to vending machine for a Coke.  Hmmm...I so rarely drink Coke...I really like me some Chili Cheese Fritos with Coke.  TWO purchases from vending machine.  AKA, double shame in the late afternoon.

My rare "Icy backyard in NOLA" pic.  The "twigs" coming out of the flower bed is what is left of our 4' cilantro bush.  She will return in her abundant glory, come Spring.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • (snip)

(snip)
    Dude. I cannot with these people. I actually didn't know they existed until I heard about the guy who brought a level onto a plane to "prove it". lmao!

Like, it's one thing to question 9/11. I'll eyeroll that, but ok whatever. But the earth being flat? You have to be a special kind of stupid and intentionally obtuse to actually believe that. 

Yeeaahh.  I don't want to diss on your mom's b/f.  But, on that topic, I always think of, "Ummm.  That's what people in the Middle Ages thought.  Seriously?"  Maybe I am making it too simplistic, I don't know a lot about what flat-earthers are actually claiming.

Which actually isn't even wholly true.  From my understanding, even in the Middle Ages, most scholars didn't believe the earth was flat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So.......are we gonna talk about the creepy dog letter in Prudie this week or no? 

:shudders:
  • I am so confused about Prudie day. It seems like it's changing all the time. It used to be the chat on Monday and letters on Thursday. Then half the chat on Monday, half on Tuesday and letters on Thursday. Now it seems like it's been half the chat on Tuesday and half on Wednesday and letters not til Friday? Now, it seems like the stuff including the weird dog stuff is part of the chat. 

Does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to their schedule?
  • I am so confused about Prudie day. It seems like it's changing all the time. It used to be the chat on Monday and letters on Thursday. Then half the chat on Monday, half on Tuesday and letters on Thursday. Now it seems like it's been half the chat on Tuesday and half on Wednesday and letters not til Friday? Now, it seems like the stuff including the weird dog stuff is part of the chat. 

Does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to their schedule?

Well, this week chat started on Tuesday because Monday was a holiday. 
  • (snip)

(snip)

Yeeaahh.  I don't want to diss on your mom's b/f.  But, on that topic, I always think of, "Ummm.  That's what people in the Middle Ages thought.  Seriously?"  Maybe I am making it too simplistic, I don't know a lot about what flat-earthers are actually claiming.

Which actually isn't even wholly true.  From my understanding, even in the Middle Ages, most scholars didn't believe the earth was flat.

Yehhh .... we're kinda use to odd conspiracy theories because M's dad is what we call "one step from tinfoil hat" {lovingly} but .... yeh idk. I think even my mum thought it was a bit much.
  • So.......are we gonna talk about the creepy dog letter in Prudie this week or no? 

Which one?  I didn't see another letter from today.  I didn't see anything overt in her recent chat either.  But I did find one I'm about to post. 
  • Work is busy, but stopping in to say hi!  I will probably read some Prudie and get back to work.  Hope to post more tomorrow!

• I am bored out of my MIND.  I even accepted to listen to a 20 minute consult on IRA vs 401K from my plan.  Even though I already knew I'd go to my Dad and get his take on it (he's business savvy). 

• I am bored out of my MIND.  I even accepted to listen to a 20 minute consult on IRA vs 401K from my plan.  Even though I already knew I'd go to my Dad and get his take on it (he's business savvy). 

((Wince)), that's pretty bad @CharmedPam!  I'm nodding off just thinking about a consult like that, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If I don't keep busy I'll shop!!!

• I am so tired today, and I don't have enough time to finish everything, and since I can't decide where to start, I'm here.

We had a funeral luncheon pop up for next week, yay - but it's our first in a new venue that is mine to manage, so I have a ton to do.  Hubs is coming with me Saturday to set the floor plan LOL.  I am in meetings back to back today and tomorrow and have like 4 proposals to do as well.

Last night we went to see the progressive front runners for Attorney General and Governor speak and it was awesome.  We're from the same Dem Club as the potential AG and she endorsed hubs so we're long sold on her - she's a legit bad ass!  But hearing her speak makes me even more excited to vote for her!  She also has a commercial that made it to cable networks and late nigh shows - PM Me if you want a link.  You'll love it.

This weekend we're going to see The Bodyguard production in downtown Detroit. And that is how we know hubs really loves me; it's my anniversary gift and he hasn't even joked about having to go.  Sunday, we've been invited to go a Gala celebrating the first anniversary of the Women's March, and not to sound like a brat, but I'd rather go to the anniversary march.  Picket Signs > Formal Dresses.
  • I am so tired today, and I don't have enough time to finish everything, and since I can't decide where to start, I'm here.

We had a funeral luncheon pop up for next week, yay - but it's our first in a new venue that is mine to manage, so I have a ton to do.  Hubs is coming with me Saturday to set the floor plan LOL.  I am in meetings back to back today and tomorrow and have like 4 proposals to do as well.

Last night we went to see the progressive front runners for Attorney General and Governor speak and it was awesome.  We're from the same Dem Club as the potential AG and she endorsed hubs so we're long sold on her - she's a legit bad ass!  But hearing her speak makes me even more excited to vote for her!  She also has a commercial that made it to cable networks and late nigh shows - PM Me if you want a link.  You'll love it.

This weekend we're going to see The Bodyguard production in downtown Detroit. And that is how we know hubs really loves me; it's my anniversary gift and he hasn't even joked about having to go.  Sunday, we've been invited to go a Gala celebrating the first anniversary of the Women's March, and not to sound like a brat, but I'd rather go to the anniversary march.  Picket Signs > Formal Dresses.
    wait, like the Broadway musical? I went and absolutely LOVED it.

• This weekend we're going to see The Bodyguard production in downtown Detroit. And that is how we know hubs really loves me; it's my anniversary gift and he hasn't even joked about having to go.  Sunday, we've been invited to go a Gala celebrating the first anniversary of the Women's March, and not to sound like a brat, but I'd rather go to the anniversary march.  Picket Signs > Formal Dresses.

Yes!  I love Bodyguard the movie.  I get made fun of this always, and I don't care!

• If I don't keep busy I'll shop!!!
    parks and recreation treat yo self GIF

Oufff yeah. That’s a really off putting way to make money off the event. 
  • It's my day off,which didn't even end up getting chores done (I was going grocery shopping), and tonight is 'skate night' at the kiddo's school...
    But I got the "hey, your kid has a fever over 101" phone call, so the afternoon was the couch, reading to her.
    Now that the ibuprofin has kicked in, she's doing perler beads, but no skate night (which is heartbreaking for her, since she's had a few school issues recently, and the deal was no note home for 3 weeks = go to skate night.  Note home = not going.  SHe's managed [barely] to stay on the straight and narrow and is now to sick to go)

I promised we'd go ASAP

• How's the campaign announcement and roll out going @kimmiinthemitten? #MrMittenforMichigan

• This weekend we're going to see The Bodyguard production in downtown Detroit. And that is how we know hubs really loves me; it's my anniversary gift and he hasn't even joked about having to go.  Sunday, we've been invited to go a Gala celebrating the first anniversary of the Women's March, and not to sound like a brat, but I'd rather go to the anniversary march.  Picket Signs > Formal Dresses.

Yes!  I love Bodyguard the movie.  I get made fun of this always, and I don't care!

I went too last year in Chicago - it was great!
  • kahluakoalakahluakoala member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2018
    mrsconn23 said:
    So.......are we gonna talk about the creepy dog letter in Prudie this week or no? 

Which one?  I didn't see another letter from today.  I didn't see anything overt in her recent chat either.  But I did find one I'm about to post. 
    Eep - am I the only one who sees this monstrosity?

Dear Prudence:
    Recently, my family lost our beloved dog Pauliver. Paulie lived to the ripe old age of 12 and had to be put down due to a terminal illness. I loved Paulie and miss him dearly. I am glad I was able to be there for the last moments of his life. My sister was also there—but she wanted to take Paulie’s body home and spend one last night with him! He used to sleep in bed with her and she wanted to say goodbye. The vet told us that the body could attract flies and “get messy” soon, and I suggested that we should take him home and bury him right away instead. My sister agreed. We said our goodbyes, buried him, each tossed a handful of dirt on his grave, and planted flowers. Two days later I saw something she posted online that said she had dug up our dog, taken him to a crematorium, and had another funeral, all without telling me. She wrote at length about how we “did it all wrong.” I feel like she blames me. I thought we were doing the right thing, but I’ll admit I’ve never handled a dead body before. Whenever a loved one of mine passed we always let the funeral home take care of it. Was I wrong? Should I have let her take the body home? Am I a monster for not feeling connected to a loved one’s body after they die? —Pet Sematary
  • mrsconn23 said:
    So.......are we gonna talk about the creepy dog letter in Prudie this week or no? 

Dear Prudence:
    Recently, my family lost our beloved dog Pauliver. Paulie lived to the ripe old age of 12 and had to be put down due to a terminal illness. I loved Paulie and miss him dearly. I am glad I was able to be there for the last moments of his life. My sister was also there—but she wanted to take Paulie’s body home and spend one last night with him! He used to sleep in bed with her and she wanted to say goodbye. The vet told us that the body could attract flies and “get messy” soon, and I suggested that we should take him home and bury him right away instead. My sister agreed. We said our goodbyes, buried him, each tossed a handful of dirt on his grave, and planted flowers. Two days later I saw something she posted online that said she had dug up our dog, taken him to a crematorium, and had another funeral, all without telling me. She wrote at length about how we “did it all wrong.” I feel like she blames me. I thought we were doing the right thing, but I’ll admit I’ve never handled a dead body before. Whenever a loved one of mine passed we always let the funeral home take care of it. Was I wrong? Should I have let her take the body home? Am I a monster for not feeling connected to a loved one’s body after they die? —Pet Sematary

I looked for what you referring to on Slate, but didn't come across this either.  Maybe it is just for Plus members?

Kind of not sure where to start with that, lol.  The sister wanting to sleep next to the dead dog for one more night makes my skin crawl!  I would think an animal would already start to smell and decay in the first day, but am not totally sure about that.

I'm curious what the sister's basis is for declaring that they did it "all wrong".  They said their good-byes and buried their beloved pet.  Sounds perfectly normal to me.  I think it was callous to dig the dog back up without consulting the rest of the family.

People can do weird things in grief, so I hope the LW gives the sister some slack on this.  I'd also encourage my sister to seek out some counseling, because her behavior is pretty outside the norm.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hmmm, I'm not a plus member, so if this was plus-only then it's short+sassy said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence:

I looked for what you referring to on Slate, but didn't come across this either.  Maybe it is just for Plus members?

Kind of not sure where to start with that, lol.  The sister wanting to sleep next to the dead dog for one more night makes my skin crawl!  I would think an animal would already start to smell and decay in the first day, but am not totally sure about that.

I'm curious what the sister's basis is for declaring that they did it "all wrong".  They said their good-byes and buried their beloved pet.  Sounds perfectly normal to me.  I think it was callous to dig the dog back up without consulting the rest of the family.

People can do weird things in grief, so I hope the LW gives the sister some slack on this.  I'd also encourage my sister to seek out some counseling, because her behavior is pretty outside the norm.

dwell, I'm not a plus member, so if it a plus thing it's definitely a glitch! I see it here: https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/01/dear-prudence-im-in-love-with-my-college-teacher.html

I love dogs, but don't like to sleep with them due to some mild allergies, so the idea of sleeping with a dead dog made me literally shudder. And digging it up from the ground! Omg! I get that grief makes people do weird things. 
  • How's the campaign announcement and roll out going @kimmiinthemitten? #MrMittenforMichigan

It's going great, thanks!  We have over 500 likes on FB and he's already raised 5% of his total campaign goal.  He just set up his campaign kick off event for February 1st as well, so now I need to actually finish that press release and media list.
    That’s awesome! Keep us posted on how it’s going. If you ever need a consulting political scientist just let me know.