Attire & Accessories Forum

Coordinating Jr Bridesmaid, Flower Girl & Bridesmaids

OK so all of my bridesmaids have their dresses - they're a gorgeous color - Cabernet from Weddington Way.  Now I am having the hardest time finding a dress for my Jr. Bridesmaid to go with it!  I'm not opposed to having her in something different, like a blush or a gold, but then I'm going to have to fit my flower girl in with the theme too - without getting dresses that are stupid expensive for a little girl.  Any advice on how you did this would be great!!  Also, the boys will all be in a dark blue (not quite navy) and I'll be in Ivory.
Here's the like to the bridesmaid color dresses...
https://www.weddingtonway.com/all/bridesmaid-dresses/colors/red/burgundy-purple?sort_by=popularity 

Re: Coordinating Jr Bridesmaid, Flower Girl & Bridesmaids

• Bridesmaids are just bridesmaids, no need to call her a "junior".

Would she fit into misses sizes? If so, just have her parents order one of the weddington way dresses in cabernet - maybe let them choose a style they're comfortable with her wearing.

If she can't fit into any of those, just tell her parents to get "any blush or gold dress that's long" (or whatever your specs are). She doesn't need to match the flower girl - she's a bridesmaid!
    *********************************************************************************

• OK so all of my bridesmaids have their dresses - they're a gorgeous color - Cabernet from Weddington Way.  Now I am having the hardest time finding a dress for my Jr. Bridesmaid to go with it!  I'm not opposed to having her in something different, like a blush or a gold, but then I'm going to have to fit my flower girl in with the theme too - without getting dresses that are stupid expensive for a little girl.  Any advice on how you did this would be great!!  Also, the boys will all be in a dark blue (not quite navy) and I'll be in Ivory.
    Here's the like to the bridesmaid color dresses...
    https://www.weddingtonway.com/all/bridesmaid-dresses/colors/red/burgundy-purple?sort_by=popularity 
    I hope none of the dresses were stupid expensive!

The younger bridesmaid is a BM, not a flower girl, so it’d make more sense that she coordinated with the rest of the BMs.  The biggest thing with younger BMs is that she and her parents are comfortable with the cut and modesty level. Cabernet is a pretty color, and now is a good time of year to find it in stores.  Macy’s, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales have good-sized juniors departments.  (Although ditto PP if she fits a Weddington Way size that’d be good too.)

As for the FG, David’s Bridal (and im sure other stores too but I used David’s) sells a variety of white dresses with ribbons in tons of colors- the sash can match or coordinate with others.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    Will someone please explain to me what a junior bridesmaid/junior bride is?  I have never seen a wedding with one, and until ten years ago, I played organ at more than 100 weddings.  How old are they supposed to be?  What is their function?  Is this something new?  Thank you.  I am curious.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Will someone please explain to me what a junior bridesmaid/junior bride is?  I have never seen a wedding with one, and until ten years ago, I played organ at more than 100 weddings.  How old are they supposed to be?  What is their function?  Is this something new?  Thank you.  I am curious.

When the bride wants to include someone who is too old to be a flower girl but too young to be a bridesmaid - typically teens? and usually has a similar dress to their adult bridesmaids (but something more age appropriate/in their size, which is what the OP is asking). They will stand with the bride, process with the wedding party, but won't participate in the bachelorette party or host the shower (if that's a thing your bridal party is doing). Maybe you've seen it but just didn't notice? It would just be a slightly younger person.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    Thank you, KahluaKoala.  No, I have never seen this done at a wedding, but there are no rules that say you can't.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Actually I had a junior bridesmaid 35 years ago. She was my 14 year old cousin. Her parents didn't want her to be a bridesmaid so she was a junior bridesmaid. She wore a dress similar to the flower girl - white eyelet cotton long dress with a sash that matched the bridesmaids. I know that now this is not considered appropriate to do but then it was no big deal. She processed with the bridesmaids. 

• CMGragain said:

When the bride wants to include someone who is too old to be a flower girl but too young to be a bridesmaid - typically teens? and usually has a similar dress to their adult bridesmaids (but something more age appropriate/in their size, which is what the OP is asking). They will stand with the bride, process with the wedding party, but won't participate in the bachelorette party or host the shower (if that's a thing your bridal party is doing). Maybe you've seen it but just didn't notice? It would just be a slightly younger person.
    If you have not noticed, odds are the bride made a good selection.  Technically, a "junior" bridesmaid should not stand out, in my opinion.  That is why many on the boards suggest that the qualifier "junior" be left off completely.

My daughter wanted her goddaughter in her wedding party.  At the age of 11, she was too old to be a flower girl.  She was and is a taller and mature looking young lady.  DD asked her to be a BM.  DD asked her BM's to wear a LBD.  Goddaughter also wore an appropriately styled black dress.  She actually came to the shower with her mom (DD's aunt).  She was invited to have hair done with the bridal party the morning of the wedding.  She remained with the bridal party during Mass.  There was nothing that caused her to stand out from the other BM's. 
  • Well, a junior bridesmaid is like a watered down version of an adult bridesmaid and a totally upgraded model of a flower girl. She’s cute and gets time to shine like a flower girl, but fits in more with the adult bridesmaids.