Chit Chat

**SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

Re: **SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

• I'm putting in a guess that Jack goes back in for the dog, hence Kate's hesitation to get a new dog, as well as her feeling that it was her fault he died.  I can't think he would go back in for something like the video tape

• Because they placed so much emphasis on the dog story line last night, I have to agree with you, @WinstonsGirl.  Knowing this "fire" story line was a strong possibility, it still made me sick to my stomach to see it evolve last night.

But Holy Hell in a Handbasket........seriously?  Not only is the show being run on a Sunday rather than Tuesday, but following the Super Bowl?  A disclaimer to "tape extra shows" to make sure you get it all is made as well?  Ugh!  So unless I want to watch a gut wrenching, highly anticipated show just prior to going to bed, my alternative is to potentially watch it "in pieces" the following day because it may or may not tape all in one "swoop" AARRGGHH!
  • OK I'm confused - did he think he was turning off the slow cooker and instead it actually turned on? 

And if they knew this person well enough that they bring them over a random appliance wouldn't they have known the house was for sale, or at least knew the ad was for their house? 
  • kvruns said:
    OK I'm confused - did he think he was turning off the slow cooker and instead it actually turned on? 

And if they knew this person well enough that they bring them over a random appliance wouldn't they have known the house was for sale, or at least knew the ad was for their house? 
    Jack turned it off and because of the faulty wiring (or whatever is the issue) it turned back on again and caught fire. 

I was absolutely sobbing at the end of this episode. If the dog dies in the next episode, I'll be a mess. I cry when people die but dogs dying - I'm done for. A little peeve that the episode is on after the Super Bowl because usually I'm ready for bed at this point. But I'll have to watch it because I don't want to run the risk of any spoilers.
  • kvruns said:
    OK I'm confused - did he think he was turning off the slow cooker and instead it actually turned on? 

I got confused at first, too- but I think it was two different time periods....  Rebecca circled the ad for the house for sale on the day of the Superbowl- when the kids were teenagers.  The crock-pot drop off occurred when she was pregnant...  

So, two different time periods.  Right?  Or am I just all muddled up, lol
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    kvruns said:

I got confused at first, too- but I think it was two different time periods....  Rebecca circled the ad for the house for sale on the day of the Superbowl- when the kids were teenagers.  The crock-pot drop off occurred when she was pregnant...  

2 different time periods. The house for sale/older couple was when Rebecca was pregnant. The house she circled was much later when the kids were teenagers. I think it was just showing where the crockpot came from

• oh yea good call on 2 different time periods, I didn't realize that was when she was pregnant. I was thinking it was flashing back to that morning before the super bowl celebration because it seemed like they were cleaning out the basement and going through boxes at the same time as the house was listed for sale. 
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    kvruns said:

Correct.  The older couple donated the crockpot to Jack and Rebecca, and explained at the time that it worked well with the exception of needing to "jiggle" the knob once in a while.  Rebecca was pregnant at the time.

Jack did turn the crockpot off prior to going to bed.  The ill fated "glitch" reared its head in present day. 

The entire episode made me so anxious. 
  • I just saw part of the ad {I'm behind eps} and saw the glow of the fire.

My coworker mentioned Rebecca says about forgetting something at the store, and they panned to the smoke detector. That may have been part of it also.

Omg I'm not ready for this ep!
  • I just saw part of the ad {I'm behind eps} and saw the glow of the fire.

My coworker mentioned Rebecca says about forgetting something at the store, and they panned to the smoke detector. That may have been part of it also.

Omg I'm not ready for this ep!
    Last week she asked Jack to reminder her to buy batteries, which they both forgot. At the end of that episode, they show the disconnected smoke detector with no batteries

• I'm super irritated that it's on after the Super Bowl and that I have to set my DVR for extra time. I'm definitely not going to be able to watch after the Super Bowl - I'll be lucky if I am still awake when the game ends lol. 

But if they have a graphic scene in which the dog dies there is no way I will be able to watch at all. 
  • Didn't read whole article but Milo Ventimiglia confirms "Jack's death will be soul-crushing"

You're crushing it in the ads, whatcha go now bitches!?

I say this, yet this will 100% be me after watching it:

• I really don’t understand the thought behind putting it on after the Super Bowl. I thought traditionally it was to boost ratings and viewership on a show. They don’t need that. You’ve got all these viewers invested in a story line and now we have to figure out when/how to watch it. 

I was balling by the end of this episode. Can’t imagine what the next one will be like. 
  • I really don’t understand the thought behind putting it on after the Super Bowl. I thought traditionally it was to boost ratings and viewership on a show. They don’t need that. You’ve got all these viewers invested in a story line and now we have to figure out when/how to watch it. 

I was balling by the end of this episode. Can’t imagine what the next one will be like. 
    I think it's because it's based around their Super Bowl

But it’s a tragic and heartbreaking story that happens the night of the Super Bowl. I mean, I get it and I don’t. 

But it’s a tragic and heartbreaking story that happens the night of the Super Bowl. I mean, I get it and I don’t. 
    Oh completely agreed

• 4, 5, 8, & 11 are my favorites.  

Also, Philly fans are going to have TWO reasons to sob their eyes out on Sunday. #GoPats
  • LOL Sparklepants
  • I'm not ready for this ep .... I think I'm gonna PVR it so I can sob on my own time lol
  • I'm not ready for this ep .... I think I'm gonna PVR it so I can sob on my own time lol

I decided my BFF was having a Super Bowl Party so I could spend the night and cry with her and wine during the episode.

Did she just move a week ago and is 90% of her belongings still in boxes?  Yup, but that's less important than mourning Jack Pearson together.

• We just started getting promos for the episode today.  Ugh, my tiny black heart is not going to be happy

• ((Drumroll)...and finally the episode where we found out how Jack died.

I was really glad that he didn't actually burn to death in the fire.  Because that has to be on the short list of "Most Horrific Ways to Die".

As an aside, instead of freaking out about Crockpots, I hope the real take away for the This Is Us audience is make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.  That is the first line of defense in safely escaping a fire.  And I don't mean just replacing the batteries.  Blow out a candle and put the smoke directly under the detector.  I also advise keeping a fire extinguisher in each bedroom and in the kitchen.

Back to the show.  I liked how they were setting the audience up to think Randall's family was getting a new foster child.  But, in the end, it was a look into future for Randall's daughter.  That was fun and so sweet to see that she had gotten into social work.  One can assume a piece of that is her parents opening up their home to foster children.

And then the second shocker, Deja came back!  I'm looking forward to the next episode and finding out what happened.  I'm sure it will be bitter-sweet.  They'll be so glad to have her back in their home, but everyone was so hopeful that the bio-mom would stay on the straight and narrow.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jesus. I just ugly cried all the way through. 
  • This might be UO but I found the whole death part to be anti climactic. Maybe just because Of the buildup idk. I did like that it wasn’t in the fire bc it was like oh crap wonder what happens then. 

I also really liked the Tess part and them leading you to think it was their next foster kid. The Deja line will ne interesting. I’m not surprised they brought her back

fwiw this episode made me happy emotional toward the end but otherwise wasn’t a tearjerker for me. I’ve cried in other episodes but not this one 
  • @kvruns I agree a bit.  I thought this one was easier than I thought it was going to be.  My question is that this type of heart attack has a nickname and is known to happen after smoke inhalation, yet the Paramedics and Doctors were pretty chill about getting him to the hospital and treated.  Wouldn't you have him hooked up to oxygen, EKG/other heart machines?  

I liked the twist with Tess at the end.  Well played This is Us.  

• That is a good point about that, kind of surprising he wasn't hooked up to any kind of monitors it seems. This was in the 90s so you would have thought. Although maybe he refused treatment since he didn't even want to go to the hospital?  It is called a widow maker which I always thought were sudden and catastrophic so even if he was hooked up might have been too late. 
  • I actually didn't cry at the actual hospital scene, either...  it was SAD, but I was wrapped up in watching Mandy Moore's acting...  I really only teared up a little when Kevin went to his tree and "talked" to his dad.

I loved the twist at the end with Tess being the adult social worker.  So cute.

PS- was anyone else so happy that the dog made it out, too?  That would have been the worst part for me, lol.  
  • @kvruns I agree a bit.  I thought this one was easier than I thought it was going to be.  My question is that this type of heart attack has a nickname and is known to happen after smoke inhalation, yet the Paramedics and Doctors were pretty chill about getting him to the hospital and treated.  Wouldn't you have him hooked up to oxygen, EKG/other heart machines?  

I liked the twist with Tess at the end.  Well played This is Us.  

@WinstonsGirl when I worked in interventional cardiology, a "widow maker" what essentially what they called a massive, immediate heart attack that was so quick and bad they couldn't do anything about it, although among the group of cardiologists I worked with this pretty much always referred to a blockage in the left main artery (which feeds the majority of the heart) as a "widow maker", and since Jack had a heart attack due to the smoke inhalation it wouldn't have been a blockage like that...so maybe they took some creative liberty.
  • I read an article with a cardiologist interview that basically said the same as above, that they took some creative liberty with the term widowmaker since smoke inhalation heart attack would likely not be that type