Wedding Woes

The sheet dance and Aunt Flo

The other thread had me thinking....do y'all have sex on your periods?

Don't hate me, but, between Mirena, pregnancy and breastfeeding (x2) I haven't really had a full on period in several years so this hasn't been addressed for DH and I in a long time. When I did have them though, we avoided sex during those times. I remember not thinking it was a big deal but DH being all squeamish about it.
*********************************************************************************

Re: The sheet dance and Aunt Flo

• Yup. Not on the heaviest couple days because I’m just not interested but other than that sure. 
  • Personally no, just because I'm personally squeamish about it lol Things may change post-baby.
    We've entertained the idea when fooling around and considered using the shower {just so it'd be easier to clean up if need be} but changed our minds. {i don't remember why}
  • Generally no.   I think DH just isn't as into it.  
  • I have before, but as a general rule no. Everything hurts, the big O makes my cramps kick into overdrive, and I don’t like the precautions/cleanup necessary. And for some reason we just do not do well with shower sex. 

• Early days, yes; heavy days no. I've always felt a little weird about it, but we've never actually had a convo about it, TBH. 

One of my friends has said she uses the diva cup and then some things are not all that different, but I've been hesitant to try the diva.
  • The other thread had me thinking....do y'all have sex on your periods?

Don't hate me, but, between Mirena, pregnancy and breastfeeding (x2) I haven't really had a full on period in several years so this hasn't been addressed for DH and I in a long time. When I did have them though, we avoided sex during those times. I remember not thinking it was a big deal but DH being all squeamish about it.
    The beauty of continuous BC is that I never have a period :-)

Sex on my period would never have been an option, not only do I personally find it gross but my flow was that of a horror film, which among other reasons is why I have been on continuous BC for almost 15 years.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• The first year or two, we did occasionally, but then H became kind of grossed out by it, so now we don't. 
  • My heavier days no (I don’t even know H’s opinion, I’m not in the mood)...by day 6-7 when I wear a panty liner in case but there’s really no more flow, yes. I’m more sensitive than usual (in a good way).

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2018
    I don't to be touched at all when I'm on my period, so it's a no for me.  K uses a diva cup and doesn't mind having sex, so I don't mind.
  • We do. Neither of us care, though I say no to oral, cos I find that gross. DH doesn’t feel the need for that either.  I don’t have crazy heavy periods though, so things are just a touch messier than usual. 

I also use a Diva Cup (obviously not during sex), though it took me forever to get it working right. Still doesn’t fit properly sometimes

• I have had a Mirena since I was 6 weeks postpartum with Wolverine (she's 7), and had one for about 3 years before I got pregnant - so I've really only had 2 periods in the last ~10-11 years.

That said, yes - it was never an issue. If i was crampy or not feeling up to it, then we didn't, but otherwise, not a problem. We'd put down a dark towel or have sex in the shower/tub where cleanup wasn't a concern. 
  • @*Barbie* I'm looking into IUD after baby's born, is yours the hormonal one or non-hormonal?
  • DH has never been into it. I'm not either on heavy days, but light days it wouldn't bother me. 

MKD - Mirena is hormonal (levonorgestrel), but the dose is really low. I have a blood condition where I can't be on normal hormonal BC due to clotting concerns, but Mirena is fine. Copper is a good non-hormonal option.
    *********************************************************************************

• DH refuses to "swim the red river" (as he puts it).
    My dirty frat boy DH has a line that's MUCH worse.
  • banana468 said:
    DH refuses to "swim the red river" (as he puts it).
    I'm now dying to know
  • Nope.  My periods have been so heavy it's just not possible.  I'm still adjusting to this new med and feel icky.
  • I'm on CD4 and DH this morning was all lovey and wanting morning sex ... he was like, "it should've slowed down by now ... I can handle it."  As soon as I told him that I'd have to take out my tampon, that squashed any hopes.  Blah.
  • banana468 said:
    I'm now dying to know
    You can swim in the red sea - just don't drink from it.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    I'm now dying to know
    You can swim in the red sea - just don't drink from it.
    LMFAO!!
    That's hilariously gross! :') I shouldn't be laughing lol
  • We used to, just threw down a towel for easier clean up. Then I got an IUD so the spotting was minimal and there was no real river, so to speak, haha. Then pregnant and luckily no spotting during the pregnancy so that wasn’t an issue - although my drive was Pffffft during pregnancy. Post partum I got an iud again but this spotting has been a pain in my ass this time around.

I also got my period at 8w pp despite exclusively BFing, so thank god my dr didn’t clear me at my 6wk checkup otherwise 2.0 could have been on its way and I would have died. <insert NOPE NOPE NOPE gif>.  Really jealous of you ladies who PP went a long time before getting it back! 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • DH has never been into it. I'm not either on heavy days, but light days it wouldn't bother me. 

MKD - Mirena is hormonal (levonorgestrel), but the dose is really low. I have a blood condition where I can't be on normal hormonal BC due to clotting concerns, but Mirena is fine. Copper is a good non-hormonal option.
    thank you @southernbelle0915 . yes. its very low dose progestin hormone. 

estrogen is a migraine trigger for me - i found that out when i changed BCP after college. (the pill i was taking in college wasn't covered under my employer's insurance, so the cost was prohibitive. they switched me to a pill with a higher dose of estrogen, and it significantly increased my headaches. not fun. that was the point where i started looking into IUDs - at the time the only real options were Mirena or copper. The side effects of Mirena seemed more tolerable than the copper IUD, and since the hormone was not estrogen, and very low dose/localized (very little gets into the blood) it wasn't going to make my headaches worse.

I had it in for about 3 years before we decided to stop preventing pregnancy. I took it out, started a period within a day or two, and then had another period about 4 weeks later - I got pregnant 2 weeks after that. OBGYN told me that most women take 4-6 months on average for their cycles to regulate/get pregnant. It took me 6 weeks.  :/ (We were in the process of moving cross country, so the 4-6 months would have been a little easier.)  My OBGYN in TX told me he'd put the new Mirena in 6 weeks postpartum, so I actually had it put in on my due date. (She was born at 34W0D.) At that point, the cervix is still relatively soft, but your body has recovered enough from childbirth. Of the 3 times I've had the Mirena inserted, that was the easiest. Dilation of your cervix for insertion is a really sharp pain - the first time, it was so intense I thought I was going to pass out. 
  • @southernbelle0915 & @*Barbie* I've been talking to my dr about IUD after baby's born, and I'm use to low dose pill beforehand so I wasn't sure what my options were to ask about more details about :)
  • *Barbie* said:
    DH has never been into it. I'm not either on heavy days, but light days it wouldn't bother me. 

thank you @southernbelle0915 . yes. its very low dose progestin hormone. 

estrogen is a migraine trigger for me - i found that out when i changed BCP after college. (the pill i was taking in college wasn't covered under my employer's insurance, so the cost was prohibitive. they switched me to a pill with a higher dose of estrogen, and it significantly increased my headaches. not fun. that was the point where i started looking into IUDs - at the time the only real options were Mirena or copper. The side effects of Mirena seemed more tolerable than the copper IUD, and since the hormone was not estrogen, and very low dose/localized (very little gets into the blood) it wasn't going to make my headaches worse.

I had it in for about 3 years before we decided to stop preventing pregnancy. I took it out, started a period within a day or two, and then had another period about 4 weeks later - I got pregnant 2 weeks after that. OBGYN told me that most women take 4-6 months on average for their cycles to regulate/get pregnant. It took me 6 weeks.  :/ (We were in the process of moving cross country, so the 4-6 months would have been a little easier.)  My OBGYN in TX told me he'd put the new Mirena in 6 weeks postpartum, so I actually had it put in on my due date. (She was born at 34W0D.) At that point, the cervix is still relatively soft, but your body has recovered enough from childbirth. Of the 3 times I've had the Mirena inserted, that was the easiest. Dilation of your cervix for insertion is a really sharp pain - the first time, it was so intense I thought I was going to pass out. 
    This is why I'm switching to an IUD after we have a child. I get terrible headaches on the first day of my cycle and estrogen made it worse. I'm on a progestin-only pill now and they're slightly better, but especially if I don't eat enough protein or drink enough water I feel awful. I had one last night and thankfully it's gone, but I still feel like I'm hungover this morning. 
  • edited January 2018
    @southernbelle0915 & @*Barbie* I've been talking to my dr about IUD after baby's born, and I'm use to low dose pill beforehand so I wasn't sure what my options were to ask about more details about :)
    yea, best to talk to your doctor who has your medical history and such. My timing with Mirena was similar to @*Barbie*'s. I had a Mirena for 5 years (the limit). I immediately got another one but got it out 3 years later to try for babybelle. Then I got another one put in at my 6wk postpartum appt (easiest, least painful insertion of all 3). Got that one taken out to try for futurebelle. IDK if I'll do another one though. I loved the benefits (easy BC and no periods). But it was interesting, I had side effects on the 3rd one that I never had with the first two - weight gain, bloating, depressed mood. It was weird. As soon as I got it out, all those things got infinitely better. 

• @southernbelle0915 & @*Barbie* I've been talking to my dr about IUD after baby's born, and I'm use to low dose pill beforehand so I wasn't sure what my options were to ask about more details about :)
    yea, best to talk to your doctor who has your medical history and such. My timing with Mirena was similar to @*Barbie*'s. I had a Mirena for 5 years (the limit). I immediately got another one but got it out 3 years later to try for babybelle. Then I got another one put in at my 6wk postpartum appt (easiest, least painful insertion of all 3). Got that one taken out to try for futurebelle. IDK if I'll do another one though. I loved the benefits (easy BC and no periods). But it was interesting, I had side effects on the 3rd one that I never had with the first two - weight gain, bloating, depressed mood. It was weird. As soon as I got it out, all those things got infinitely better. 
    Yeh right now it's just a conversation with Dr, but I like to hear other people's experience with it.
    I was on patches and pill for awhile without issue and they were low hormone, but your experience with the 3rd brings up questions I'll wanna bring up I didn't think of
  • @MissKittyDanger I love my Mirena. It is the single best thing I have done for my emotional and physical health. I had a good chat with my MD and she popped it in at a future visit. 30 minutes of not feeling fantastic and then feeling crappy for 2 days after. No periods since. I should have done it 15 years ago. 
  • I'm on my third copper IUD.  At least this one lasts for 5 years, my first 3 were 3 year ones.  I don't have kids, so getting them in sucked, especially the first one.  I was feeling shitty for a good 3 days after.  Now, it sucks but I only feel shitty for about an hour.  Unfortunately I get cramps now, but they're not too bad.  An Advil can take care of them

• One thing that an IUD won't help with is cysts - so if you're prone, know that the IUD won't help to prevent them like higher dose hormonal BC can. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    One thing that an IUD won't help with is cysts - so if you're prone, know that the IUD won't help to prevent them like higher dose hormonal BC can. 
    I don't believe I do.
    I know January 2017 when they thought it was my appendix, they did an ultrasound to ensure it also wasn't an ovarian cyst.
    My mum has them, but I'm not sure if they're hereditary. My dr hasn't questioned it and she knows my mum's issues.