Wedding Woes

What's up for the weekend?

short+sassyshort+sassy member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited February 2018 in Wedding Woes

I was out sick yesterday from work.  Should have left an hour ago because Fridays are my half.  Oh, but of course, there is "hot" work that came in today (eye roll).  I told one of my managers I'd work a few extra hours to help out and just take less sick time for yesterday.  But I really, really don't wanna.  Oh well. Whatever.

I found out last night that the tenant who shares our double has lupus.  I knew it was suspected, but has now been confirmed.  I don't know a lot about it.  From what I've read, it sounds like it can be a range of fairly mild and asymptomatic to really terrible and even cause death.  She was at a point where she could barely walk (previous to diagnosis), but thankfully is no longer having that issue at the present time.  I certainly hope it is as mild as possible for her.

Going to Shen-Yun tomorrow!  Looking forward to that.  My coworker and her grandson will be there also (also got free tickets from our client).  I thought my H would be disappointed, but he is looking forward to it also.  Other than that, just laying really low.  The Mardi Gras parades start tonight and I don't want to be near any of that, lol. 

I have made a tactical error with the Superbowl.  Superbowl=guacamole.  MY guacamole.  But I should have bought avocados a week ago to make sure they were ripe enough.  Knowing the grocery stores around here, their avocados will either be way too ripe or completely rotted (sigh).

Speaking of the Superbowl, who is everyone rooting for?  I'm rooting for the Eagles though, more because I don't like the Patriots, than any particular affiliation for the Eagles.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What's up for the weekend?

• Anyone around today or has everyone started their weekend early? Anyone have exciting plans? 

I've got dinner with the parents and sister for Dad's birthday tonight. I'll be late so probably no baby snuggles. We have an annual staff meeting tomorrow morning so I'll be back at work early, then an 11 mile run. After that I'm sitting on the couch with the cat and the dog. 

No real plans for the SuperBowl yet. Probably will go watch it at a bar even though that sounds exhausting. 
  • Getting ready to head to Chicago this afternoon. We are helping DD and SIL strip wall paper and paint at their new house. They are taking us out to dinner tomorrow night. We are staying through Tuesday since H is retired now, we can stay during the week and paint. 

I think I have pulled a bicep muscle (will make painting interesting this weekend). It hurts like hell. Doggies are snuggled on my lap at the moment because they have spied the suitcases - don't tell me dogs don't figure stuff out!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I don't have a team in the Super Bowl except that I'm not a Pats fan so I guess that means I'm pulling for the Eagles lol. DD is ordering pizza for the game - no party.
  • Getting ready to head to Chicago this afternoon. We are helping DD and SIL strip wall paper and paint at their new house. They are taking us out to dinner tomorrow night. We are staying through Tuesday since H is retired now, we can stay during the week and paint. 

I think I have pulled a bicep muscle (will make painting interesting this weekend). It hurts like hell. Doggies are snuggled on my lap at the moment because they have spied the suitcases - don't tell me dogs don't figure stuff out!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I don't have a team in the Super Bowl except that I'm not a Pats fan so I guess that means I'm pulling for the Eagles lol. DD is ordering pizza for the game - no party.
    Oh they totally know. I just got a new (very large gym bag) so when I get it ready every night the cat and the dog think I'm leaving and get quite upset. 
  • Also, Go Eagles. I really don't care about them at all, but hate the Patriots so much. 

Oh they totally know. I just got a new (very large gym bag) so when I get it ready every night the cat and the dog think I'm leaving and get quite upset. 
    Agree that dogs know. I'm still amazed when I turn off the TV and stand up the dog races to his crate. Or if he sees me put on my shoes it's like he knows I'm leaving and he gets to go to his room (aka he gets dog treats and a nap)
  • I think a friend is coming over tonight to do something to K's face.  K is serving as a special effects model and I think the artist might need a cast.  IDK, I just live there.  :smile:

Nothing on the agenda for Saturday and maybe a Superbowl party on Sunday.  IDK, I don't really care about the game or sport (I found out who was playing yesterday), and while I want to hang out with my friends, I don't really want to hang out with my friends watching football.  K and I could use the break, TBH.
  • Tonight, we have to run around.  Lowe's, grocery, etc.

Tomorrow, I work and then I'm going to dinner and to see Beautiful with my mom, sisters, and some friends. 

Sunday, our friends are coming over with their kids.  I don't really care about the game, but I do care about bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, queso, guac, and chips, buffalo chicken dip, and chocolate chip cookies.  Plus, all.the.beer.  :D 
  • Hope you feel better @short+sassy! booo to not being able to leave early.
    @ilovebeachmusic, so awesome to help DD out.  Take it from me, because I rely on my parents for stuff like that too - it is appreciated A LOT.
    LOL at I just live here @VarunaTT

H got his hours cut again.  He was on the steady work board for a month and a half but the damn company is making so many changes.

I had planned a weekend of recovery and to meet some paint quoters for the new condo, but we found out yesterday morning that H's stepdaughter took her life.  It's a sad situation all around.  There is no money for a funeral/service so her BFF is planning a celebration of life on Sunday around 3 or so.. which falls into the superbowl anyway.  Not sure how many people are going to attend.  H is taking this well but I also think it hasn't really hit him yet either.  He raised her since she was 9, and really thought of her as his own.  I met her a few times and really liked her.

• mrsconn23 said:
    Tonight, we have to run around.  Lowe's, grocery, etc.

Tomorrow, I work and then I'm going to dinner and to see Beautiful with my mom, sisters, and some friends. 

Sunday, our friends are coming over with their kids.  I don't really care about the game, but I do care about bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, queso, guac, and chips, buffalo chicken dip, and chocolate chip cookies.  Plus, all.the.beer.  :D 
    Yeah, the game is totally secondary - the food is primary in my view!

Hope you enjoy Beautiful. We were at the very back of the mezzanine and had a wonderful view - no obstructions at all. Acoustics were great! Try to avoid parking in the garage though. We got right out of the auditorium and still sat in the garage for over half an hour waiting to get out. Grab street parking if you can - this is what a friend of mine told me after the fact. She goes to a lot of productions there. Maybe you do too but we didn't know.
  • Hope you feel better @short+sassy! booo to not being able to leave early.
    @ilovebeachmusic, so awesome to help DD out.  Take it from me, because I rely on my parents for stuff like that too - it is appreciated A LOT.
    LOL at I just live here @VarunaTT

H got his hours cut again.  He was on the steady work board for a month and a half but the damn company is making so many changes.

I had planned a weekend of recovery and to meet some paint quoters for the new condo, but we found out yesterday morning that H's stepdaughter took her life.  It's a sad situation all around.  There is no money for a funeral/service so her BFF is planning a celebration of life on Sunday around 3 or so.. which falls into the superbowl anyway.  Not sure how many people are going to attend.  H is taking this well but I also think it hasn't really hit him yet either.  He raised her since she was 9, and really thought of her as his own.  I met her a few times and really liked her.
    I am so sorry to hear about your H's stepdaughter! Thoughts and prayers for the family. It is so tragic when this happens but especially with a young person. I'm sure it will hit him eventually.
  • @CharmedPam, ((hugs)) to you and your H!  That's really tragic to hear.

@ILoveBeachMusic, Friends of the family had a sweet dog named Teddy.  He was a beagle-German shepherd mix, if you can even imagine, lol.  Picture a slightly larger than average beagle who has an extra bulked up/husky torso.

At any rate, whenever they got their suitcases out, Teddy would methodically carry...one by one...each of his toys over and put them in a suitcase, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm so sorry for your loss @CharmedPam.

Happy Anniversary @holyguacamole79!! Hope you have something fun planned. 
  • I had planned a weekend of recovery and to meet some paint quoters for the new condo, but we found out yesterday morning that H's stepdaughter took her life.  It's a sad situation all around.  There is no money for a funeral/service so her BFF is planning a celebration of life on Sunday around 3 or so.. which falls into the superbowl anyway.  Not sure how many people are going to attend.  H is taking this well but I also think it hasn't really hit him yet either.  He raised her since she was 9, and really thought of her as his own.  I met her a few times and really liked her.
    I am so sorry for your loss!  Are you connected with any churches?  Often, a church will provide ceremony space and a little food and coffee.   My United Methodist church is very open to helping people who do not have church connections of their own.  Simple is good.

I am currently starting to plan my own memorial service.  United Methodist churches encourage memorial services (no casket or body) instead of actual funerals because we focus on the spiritual, not on death.  You might try calling around.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Tonight, we have to run around.  Lowe's, grocery, etc.

Yeah, the game is totally secondary - the food is primary in my view!

Hope you enjoy Beautiful. We were at the very back of the mezzanine and had a wonderful view - no obstructions at all. Acoustics were great! Try to avoid parking in the garage though. We got right out of the auditorium and still sat in the garage for over half an hour waiting to get out. Grab street parking if you can - this is what a friend of mine told me after the fact. She goes to a lot of productions there. Maybe you do too but we didn't know.
    I haven't been to Clowes in years, so thanks for the tip.  I think (hope) the rest of the shows in the season are at Old National.  Much better parking and restaurant choices in walking distance.  :) 
  • Oh @CharmedPam, that is so sad.  I'm very sorry for your loss.  T+P's.  
  • @short+sassy  apparently if you freeze avacados, they stop ripening. If the stores have 'too ripe' ones or 'just about ripe' then might be good to look into. Also if you throw them in the oven, they'll ripen up ;) I did that once

@charlotte989875 booo no baby snuggles :( extra snuggles next time!

@CharmedPam I'm sorry to hear about your H's stepdaughter :(

M was in a better mood all around last night. Which is good, because he's more willing to be productive when he's not cranky.
    He did the light bulb and even though it's a soft white, you can see the dirt more :'( Once we have more organization done, he's gonna use the shop-vac to clear up the dirt, dead bugs and cobwebs.

Protip, not that anyone here does it {I hope}
    If you are calling a business, don't just state you heard our ad, ask my name then start your schpeel.
    I have never been so uncomfortable. I wanted to interrupt him, hang up and let him go on - all at the same time.

Short version, it was about how Canadians should be getting $400 dividends per year because of our i.d, etc etc.

WTF!

Anyways .... tonight is groceries. I think we're gonna play a board game tonight.
    Tomorrow - M's going to range with coworkers and I may hit up dollarama depending on weather.
    Still no word if I'm seeing one of my friends.

Sunday - cleaning. I'm not watching SuperBowl per say. I'm gonna check out half-time show for sure. Not a big JT fan, but I always like to watch. Never know what could happen lol

Side note: I just saw a video of stoned people interacting with a sloth. HOW DOES ONE GET TO BE A PART OF THESE THINGS!? I wanna meet a sloth!
  • sorry to hear about that @CharmedPam
  • @CharmedPam my condolences to you and your family. I hope peace quickly finds you all.

even though I completely missed FB season this year and will likely miss the Super Bowl (mf’ing nfl, if they want to spread this shit internationally then they should let people watch it internationally) but, F the patriots, Go Birds.
  • So has anyone read the Nunes memo yet?
  • So has anyone read the Nunes memo yet?
    I just skimmed it on buzzfeed, but I cannot with the Trumpsterfire Traveling Circus Shitshow that is our federal government.  
  • Work today. The universe must have heard my pleas for mercy because I got to work and they put me on transport today. SO is sick, and he’s making it known.  I’m like dude, I worked three days with the flu like two weeks ago. You’re fine. It’s a cold. Take some mucinex or something and move on. Lol. Plus we’re moving out of my apartment so we all have to buck up this weekend. My parents are coming out to help us move so we have to be ready. 

On sunday we have brunch with SO’s parents and his sister, his sister’s BF and his (bf’s) grandparents. We’re going because SO’s dad is shy and he got nervous at doing a lunch with just the four of them. He called SO like five times to ask him to come to the brunch. It was his version of panic mode. 

• @CharmedPam I am so sorry

tonight basketball
    tomorrow kid build at Home Depot, basketball, lunch out, getting a snail for the fish tank
    sunday soccer, church, who knows

i just got a call from m2’s gym. They have a spot for her in the 7-15 yo advanced class. She turns 7 in March. They asked why she’s not on a team. We joined after tryouts. Guess we’ll be trying out this year. 
  • I am so sorry @CharmedPam

I have not read the Nunes Memo yet. All of it just makes me so so angry. 

• DH's birthday is tomorrow.   I picked up his cake, a good bottle of bourbon and two small gifts.  A rack of lamb should be delivered to the local butcher by 9 AM tomorrow.

I had to pick up Chiquita today at noon due to suspected pink eye.   The pedi called in a prescription and she starts drops today.  I HOPE no one else catches it.   I will be washing ALLLLLL the things.

Oh, and in family fuckery,  apparently my mom called MIL yesterday to tell her that she (my mom) had a hip replacement surgery scheduled for 1 PM and I'm not supposed to know.   NO ONE IN MY FAMILY HAS CALLED ME TODAY AND MY MOTHER NEVER CONFIRMED THAT SHE SCHEDULED THE SURGERY.  I can't start calling frantic because my mom didn't email me back, but I also  don't love not knowing what is going on.

If DH doesn't get a birthday call from my parents tomorrow (he gets one from them EVERY YEAR) then I'm calling them just to check in as a concerned child and see what's up. 

• @CharmedPam I'm so so sorry about the loss of your H's stepdaughter. Hugs to you and your H. 

@banana468 hope Chiquita feels better! Pink eye is awful. Sending out good vibes for your mom's surgery. Why were you not supposed to know about it? 
  • Praying for you and your family, @CharmedPam.  I'm so sorry for your loss.   ❤
  • @CharmedPam I'm so so sorry about the loss of your H's stepdaughter. Hugs to you and your H. 

@banana468 hope Chiquita feels better! Pink eye is awful. Sending out good vibes for your mom's surgery. Why were you not supposed to know about it? 
    She's OK.  It was mild and now I'm just washing ALL THE THINGS in hot water.   Tomorrow the sheets and towels get it.

I think my mom didn't want pressure so she scheduled the surgery on her terms.  Her knees and hips are in bad shape so I'm glad she did this but I'm hurt she didn't tell me.

• banana468 said:
    DH's birthday is tomorrow.   I picked up his cake, a good bottle of bourbon and two small gifts.  A rack of lamb should be delivered to the local butcher by 9 AM tomorrow.

I had to pick up Chiquita today at noon due to suspected pink eye.   The pedi called in a prescription and she starts drops today.  I HOPE no one else catches it.   I will be washing ALLLLLL the things.

Oh, and in family fuckery,  apparently my mom called MIL yesterday to tell her that she (my mom) had a hip replacement surgery scheduled for 1 PM and I'm not supposed to know.   NO ONE IN MY FAMILY HAS CALLED ME TODAY AND MY MOTHER NEVER CONFIRMED THAT SHE SCHEDULED THE SURGERY.  I can't start calling frantic because my mom didn't email me back, but I also  don't love not knowing what is going on.

If DH doesn't get a birthday call from my parents tomorrow (he gets one from them EVERY YEAR) then I'm calling them just to check in as a concerned child and see what's up. 

I'm sorry.  I do not know your family dynamics or whether this is typical behavior.  But I will share two stories that may help with perspective.

My mom was a fiercely independent woman.  She never wanted to bother/burden/inconvenience any of her kids.  I received an "unusual' call from my mom one weekday evening. (Unusual because we never called to "chat" for "chat's sake", and typically only did phone on weekends.) Mom basically began with, "So, how's it going?"  I explained it had been an "off" day which started by taking DD to the doctor and discovering she had pneumonia.  Mom immediately said something along the lines of, "Oh.  I hope she'll be OK", and ended the conversation.  The next day I discover that mom was calling because after working all day and having her dialysis treatment, her car had died on the way home.  She needed a ride back home.  The minute she heard DD was sick there was NO way she was about to disrupt that time.  Had she let me continue the conversation, mom would have learned that DH was home, DD was already on medication and comfortable, and ready for bed.  Either myself or my husband could have EASILY and READILY gone to get her.  But, noooooo.  Damn that woman!

I had a medical scare a few years ago.  It required a few appointments and a simple procedure. It all ended with good results. I did it all on the DL because in my mind, there was NO point in alarming anyone until I had the entire picture.  DD found out accidentally and was pretty mad I had not informed her.  I honestly saw ZERO need for her to be aware of any of it until something required her to be aware of it.  We have since discussed medical issues and the way they will be handled as a family in the future.

I do think that if I was having surgery that would require after care and rehab, I would most definitely inform family.  But I would make sure I had my "ducks in a row" to ensure no one felt compelled to rearrange their lives to help me.  I'm not agreeing that what your mom did was appropriate, but I can understand her mindset to a certain extent. 
  • @MobKaz, thank you for the perspective.

My mom emailed me today and then we caught up.   I think she really wanted her privacy, wanted to be in control and not have a peanut gallery talking about this, and wanted to do it on her terms.   I can respect that.

When we talked I told her I was SO GLAD that she did this.   I was thrilled that she had this surgery because she reached the point where she was not able to get out of a seated position at times.    That said, I wish I could be included in the circle of trust even if she put it to her terms.   If it meant that I was to be called and not call, I can respect that.   

The quality comparison was that when I had my babies the deal was that she'd be called when we were going to the hospital and then when there was an update worth giving.  In the meantime, we wanted to be left alone.   She respected that.   I hope she realized that I didn't like being in the dark so hopefully if/when this goes again (the other hip and two knees aren't looking great) I can be in the loop and at least know what's happening.  

Now to move on and make the time to go visit!