Moms and Maids

Gift for my mom

So I know it's not necessary to give a gift to my mom on the wedding day, but she has been so incredibly helpful and wonderful through the planning process, that I want to get her SOMETHING, but she's hard to shop for.  She doesn't do jewelry, make-up, spa things, doesn't carry a purse, wear perfume etc. She spends most of her time outside of work with their dogs, watching TV with my dad, and crocheting. I know no one here knows her to give suggestions, but I'm looking for ANYTHING for inspiration. I would love to do something like take her out to dinner or a movie, but our calendars hardly ever work out where that would be plausible. Any ideas?

Re: Gift for my mom

• MRDCle said:
    So I know it's not necessary to give a gift to my mom on the wedding day, but she has been so incredibly helpful and wonderful through the planning process, that I want to get her SOMETHING, but she's hard to shop for.  She doesn't do jewelry, make-up, spa things, doesn't carry a purse, wear perfume etc. She spends most of her time outside of work with their dogs, watching TV with my dad, and crocheting. I know no one here knows her to give suggestions, but I'm looking for ANYTHING for inspiration. I would love to do something like take her out to dinner or a movie, but our calendars hardly ever work out where that would be plausible. Any ideas?
    Does she like frame photos? We got my parents framed photos of us and them from the wedding. You could always get a nice frame and put a note in it saying thank you and that you'll give her a photo once you get one? 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
  • Is there a tv program that she would love to rewatch ... if so, get her the latest season. If there is hiking in the area that she enjoys doing with the dogs, is there an area she doesn’t know well that you could arrange a tour of? 
  • Your mom sounds a lot like me!  I like the idea of a frame for a wedding pic, with a note telling her how thankful you are to have her as your mom.  A basket of nice yarn or a gift card to a local yarn shop might be nice--some shops offer classes, if she's interested in learning new techniques.  You could ask your dad to help arrange a pet portrait and have a professional take nice pics of the dogs, or for a more "handmade" gift take a pic of the dogs to one of those paint bars and paint a portrait of the dogs for her (I have done this twice, and I have zero artistic ability--if she has two, you paint one and have your FI do the other, then it's a date night that's also your gift-making night).  You could also look into subscription boxes for yarn/knitting/crochet, or for dogs (like Barkbox), and do a subscription for 3 or 6 months or whatever your budget is.
  • If you want to take her to dinner and  movie, you could always get her a gift card to her favorite spots so she can go with her husband or a friend. 
  • edited February 2018
    Doing something special together would be my first choice. I understand people are busy, but surely you can find a couple hours y'all both have free to hang out, right?

Otherwise, what about a magazine subscription or membership having to do with crocheting and a gift card to her favorite craft/yarn shop? If she spends a lot of time outside with the dogs, maybe she wants new hiking boots or a bright/reflective jacket (for her and/or them) for walking them on the street. If they enjoy watching TV, maybe get them a year of Netflix or Amazon Prime.
    *********************************************************************************

• @CMGragain she doens't even LIKE chocolate that much! 

I think that I'll probably do the frame suggestion - thank you @Charlotte989875 and hopefully the promise of a date for us...with it being cold and my FI being an HVAC tech, basically 98% of our son's care falls to me ha. And my mom/dad are my go-to kiddo sitters if I can't. 
  • Doing something special together would be my first choice. I understand people are busy, but surely you can find a couple hours y'all both have free to hang out, right?

^^ THIS ^^

Buy tickets for an event that your mom will enjoy. I find I don't get around to things unless I put them on my calendar. Once I've allotted a time slot, I'm committed. 

• MRDCle said:
    @CMGragain she doens't even LIKE chocolate that much! 

I think that I'll probably do the frame suggestion - thank you @Charlotte989875 and hopefully the promise of a date for us...with it being cold and my FI being an HVAC tech, basically 98% of our son's care falls to me ha. And my mom/dad are my go-to kiddo sitters if I can't. 
    OMG!  The poor thing!  Has she been tested for that? :o
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I love the frame idea as well. You could gift her the frame the morning of the wedding then give her a print of the two of you from the wedding when you get pictures back. A nice handwritten note also goes a long way. I was recently in a wedding where the morning of we all gave the bride a box of favorite photos and handwritten notes from each of us. Maybe something along those lines, like a little album of pics of the two of you through your life with a handwritten note and some empty spots at the end of the album for pics from the wedding, and beyond. 
  • We waited for gifts for family at xmas but we made sure they all knew we were grateful for everything.

Some mothers - like mine - wouldn't want gifts. The day before, I was at her place because she was helping me wrap flowers {faux flowers with ribbon - more aesthetic purposes} and we had a good moment before everything.