Wedding Woes

Can I help this friend?

Re: Can I help this friend?

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018

Nice to see some job satisfaction on the TK board!

I like my job (not love) and like the company I work for.  This has been one of my better jobs I've held.  But I'm underpaid for what I do.  And, if I won the lottery tomorrow, they'd be getting a two-week notice.

I buy steel and track equipment orders for a jobsite that is half a world away, lol.  Not exactly glamorous or earth shattering.  I'm one of many cogs that keeps the balls in the air.  I'm good with that.  The world needs lots of "cogs".  But, at the end of the day, it's an office job that pays the bills and helps me plan for the future.  That's about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For the most part I enjoy my job and the industry I'm in. At least with my role I'm able to help people outside of work sometimes (understanding things like HSAs, Medicare, etc) which I enjoy - this industry is better than others I've been in for feeling useful. My job has a lot of flexibility which is important so unless something major happens I don't see me going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Raises hand re: education and current work. 

I agree with the heartless advice of tough love. She is your friend, but she is not your responsibility especially if she refuses to help herself. The previous advice about giving resources for homeless shelters, etc is great. Enabling drives me nuts. 

• edited February 2018
    Raises hand half-way: I'm definitely doing a job my degree trained me for, and I do have days I love it, and I have days I hate it. Most days I feel like I'm making somewhat of a difference. 
  • My hand is down @short+sassy ... overeducated and underemployed is a reality for a lot of people I know.  I recently took a side job tutoring Chinese elementary school students in conversational English...I chat with them on Skype Mon-Fri 4:30-6am.  It sounds ridiculous but it pays $25/hr and when foreign buyers keep showing up and buying homes in full in cash in the towns we want to live in, our down payment fund has to grow drastically  (it’s already over $500,000). H is taking lots of side jobs too (he was an electrician before becoming a firefighter).  Times is hard...OP your friend just isn’t trying as hard as a lot of others  :s
  • eileenrob said:
    My hand is down @short+sassy ... overeducated and underemployed is a reality for a lot of people I know.  I recently took a side job tutoring Chinese elementary school students in conversational English...I chat with them on Skype Mon-Fri 4:30-6am.  It sounds ridiculous but it pays $25/hr and when foreign buyers keep showing up and buying homes in full in cash in the towns we want to live in, our down payment fund has to grow drastically  (it’s already over $500,000). H is taking lots of side jobs too (he was an electrician before becoming a firefighter).  Times is hard...OP your friend just isn’t trying as hard as a lot of others  :s
    Oh my gosh I can’t believe 500k isn’t enough!! So impressed with your saving efforts. 
  • eileenrob said:
    My hand is down @short+sassy ... overeducated and underemployed is a reality for a lot of people I know.  I recently took a side job tutoring Chinese elementary school students in conversational English...I chat with them on Skype Mon-Fri 4:30-6am.  It sounds ridiculous but it pays $25/hr and when foreign buyers keep showing up and buying homes in full in cash in the towns we want to live in, our down payment fund has to grow drastically  (it’s already over $500,000). H is taking lots of side jobs too (he was an electrician before becoming a firefighter).  Times is hard...OP your friend just isn’t trying as hard as a lot of others 

Big ouch!  If I remember correctly, you live in/around NYC.  Had you all ever thought about relocating to a lower cost of living area?  You could outright buy a great house in a great neighborhood in many parts of the country with your current DP money.  And, with your H's experience, he could hopefully find another fire fighting job.  Or fall back on electrical work until then.  There is a huge need for experienced trades people pretty much everywhere, lol.

The HCOL was why I left my friends and family and moved out of So. CA, all those years ago.  Though, granted, I was in a new phase of life (just graduated from college).  Young and adventurous.  Unencumbered.  Ready to start my first "real" job/career.  All of that did make it a lot easier.  Best decision I ever made.  Otherwise, I was looking at being a college graduate with a f/t job and STILL having to live with a roommate...perhaps for years...just to stay in CA.  Possibly never able to buy my own home.  No thanks.  Moving halfway across the country...where I knew almost no one (had one friend here)...definitely sounded better than that to me, lol.  And it was.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    My hand is down @short+sassy ... overeducated and underemployed is a reality for a lot of people I know.  I recently took a side job tutoring Chinese elementary school students in conversational English...I chat with them on Skype Mon-Fri 4:30-6am.  It sounds ridiculous but it pays $25/hr and when foreign buyers keep showing up and buying homes in full in cash in the towns we want to live in, our down payment fund has to grow drastically  (it’s already over $500,000). H is taking lots of side jobs too (he was an electrician before becoming a firefighter).  Times is hard...OP your friend just isn’t trying as hard as a lot of others  :s
    That would buy a helluva nice house in Buffalo. 
  • eileenrob said:
    Ottawa too. Ours was just under $200K and it's nice
  • eileenrob said:
    My hand is down @short+sassy ... overeducated and underemployed is a reality for a lot of people I know.  I recently took a side job tutoring Chinese elementary school students in conversational English...I chat with them on Skype Mon-Fri 4:30-6am.  It sounds ridiculous but it pays $25/hr and when foreign buyers keep showing up and buying homes in full in cash in the towns we want to live in, our down payment fund has to grow drastically  (it’s already over $500,000). H is taking lots of side jobs too (he was an electrician before becoming a firefighter).  Times is hard...OP your friend just isn’t trying as hard as a lot of others 

Big ouch!  If I remember correctly, you live in/around NYC.  Had you all ever thought about relocating to a lower cost of living area?  You could outright buy a great house in a great neighborhood in many parts of the country with your current DP money.  And, with your H's experience, he could hopefully find another fire fighting job.  Or fall back on electrical work until then.  There is a huge need for experienced trades people pretty much everywhere, lol.

The HCOL was why I left my friends and family and moved out of So. CA, all those years ago.  Though, granted, I was in a new phase of life (just graduated from college).  Young and adventurous.  Unencumbered.  Ready to start my first "real" job/career.  All of that did make it a lot easier.  Best decision I ever made.  Otherwise, I was looking at being a college graduate with a f/t job and STILL having to live with a roommate...perhaps for years...just to stay in CA.  Possibly never able to buy my own home.  No thanks.  Moving halfway across the country...where I knew almost no one (had one friend here)...definitely sounded better than that to me, lol.  And it was.

@eileenrob are you looking in NY, NJ and CT?   Do you need to get into the city for work or would you consider moving further away?

The $500,000 is crazy and I hate to know what the cost of a house is if your down payment is $500,000.   When my IL's sold their home in a CT town near NYC 10 years ago, their raised ranch on just over an acre fetched just over $600,000 and it was one of the smaller houses in town.  

I have friends who recently moved from their Brooklyn rental and opted for the Black Rock section of Bridgeport.   It's not without crime but it's far more affordable and looking much nicer now. 

• eileenrob said:
    That would nudge you into a small two bedroom house in our neighbourhood. Grateful that we bought our house 10 years ago when the prices were a third what they are now. 
  • The cost of the homes in the towns we really love are between $600,000-800,000.  So not insane.  And once we’re in the monthly costs would be fine.  Just a tough market to compete in because so many buyers have an entire cash DP.

H’s career is a big part of where we’re looking.  He’s too old (37) to join a new fire dept (they don’t do transfers), and his pension someday will be generous, which we do factor in when thinking of the big picture.  FDNY employees have to live in NYC, LI, or certain upstate counties (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam or Orange).  So CT and NJ are off the table.  We prefer LI since it’s easier getting into Queens and Manhattan compared to upstate (no tolls, less traffic).  And once we focused on LI we needed a town with top schools, a walkable downtown, and less than an hour one-way into the city.  So our situation is partially our fault (our wants/needs list)...we’re just hoping to be at $600,000 soon.  Hence the random extra jobs.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018

For anyone who wants to be a lookie-loo, here is a gorgeous and historic home with high end details, move-in ready in NOLA for $469K.  Hello to the high ceilings of a 100-year-old house.  French Quarter and Downtown is 1-2 miles down the road.  Or just hop on the streetcar a block away.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4626-Cleveland-Ave_New-Orleans_LA_70119_M86931-18000#photo0

Edited to add:  One of the things I love about NOLA is the architecture in the older parts of the city.  An old home that has been renovated to the 9's and I'm swooning, lol.  So much candy like that here.  But those homes are out of my price range, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is the down payment $600-800K or is the entire cost of the house that much? 
  • kvruns said:
    Is the down payment $600-800K or is the entire cost of the house that much? 
    The houses cost $600-800,000.  Other buyers keep offering the entire asking price, which is why we’ve been unable to compete.  So the DP and paid in full are kind of the same thing.
  • eileenrob said:
    The cost of the homes in the towns we really love are between $600,000-800,000.  So not insane.  And once we’re in the monthly costs would be fine.  Just a tough market to compete in because so many buyers have an entire cash DP.

H’s career is a big part of where we’re looking.  He’s too old (37) to join a new fire dept (they don’t do transfers), and his pension someday will be generous, which we do factor in when thinking of the big picture.  FDNY employees have to live in NYC, LI, or certain upstate counties (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam or Orange).  So CT and NJ are off the table.  We prefer LI since it’s easier getting into Queens and Manhattan compared to upstate (no tolls, less traffic).  And once we focused on LI we needed a town with top schools, a walkable downtown, and less than an hour one-way into the city.  So our situation is partially our fault (our wants/needs list)...we’re just hoping to be at $600,000 soon.  Hence the random extra jobs.
    That makes sense.   I roll my eyes when I think of how expensive it is to live down there.  I'm a 2 hour drive from the city, still "expensive" on a national average and think it's glorious how much less homes here are.  When the ILs sold we chuckled that there wasn't a hope or prayer that we could buy DH's childhood home.    
  • eileenrob said:
    kvruns said:
    The houses cost $600-800,000.  Other buyers keep offering the entire asking price, which is why we’ve been unable to compete.  So the DP and paid in full are kind of the same thing.

That actually sounds much more reasonable!  I thought $500K was a 20%-25% DP and was gasping for air, lol.

It sucks to have to wait, don't get me wrong.  But it's pretty sweet if, in the end, you're able to buy a house with cash and don't even need to bother with a mortgage.  Closing on a house without a mortgagor involved usually only takes about 2 weeks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    eileenrob said:
    The cost of the homes in the towns we really love are between $600,000-800,000.  So not insane.  And once we’re in the monthly costs would be fine.  Just a tough market to compete in because so many buyers have an entire cash DP.

That makes sense.   I roll my eyes when I think of how expensive it is to live down there.  I'm a 2 hour drive from the city, still "expensive" on a national average and think it's glorious how much less homes here are.  When the ILs sold we chuckled that there wasn't a hope or prayer that we could buy DH's childhood home.    
    It is expensive...I’ve seen what people around the country pay (thanks @short+sassy for always starting the real estate talks!) and I know to many it’s nuts to choose to live in nyc or right outside of it.  H’s career and pension (and mine, though on a smaller scale) are financially important to us.  We’ve joked that the only silver lining of buying a home in full is that it will lower our monthly outlay.

My parents have a second home in Lincoln, NH...it’s wonderful up there, and I’m not surprised that they’ve had some serious talks about moving there full-time.  If not for the pension thing I’d be open to anywhere in the Northeast.
  • eileenrob said:
    banana468 said:
    eileenrob said:

It is expensive...I’ve seen what people around the country pay (thanks @short+sassy for always starting the real estate talks!) and I know to many it’s nuts to choose to live in nyc or right outside of it.  H’s career and pension (and mine, though on a smaller scale) are financially important to us.  We’ve joked that the only silver lining of buying a home in full is that it will lower our monthly outlay.

My parents have a second home in Lincoln, NH...it’s wonderful up there, and I’m not surprised that they’ve had some serious talks about moving there full-time.  If not for the pension thing I’d be open to anywhere in the Northeast.

Not nuts!  Totally make sense, considering your H's work and the pension situation.  Planning for retirement is something a lot of people don't do...and should.  And being able to buy a house with cash, much less in a HCOL, by the time you all are 40ish is AMAZING!!!

In my imaginary world of having a few spare million, I would love to own a small apartment in NYC.  And a high rise condo on the FL Gulf Coast for the winter.  Beach view, of course.

I know it sounds crazy.  I know it's different to be a tourist than a resident.  But NYC was like the "home" I didn't realize I'd been missing all my life, lol.  The fast pace, the so much going on, how walkable it was, the "throw a rock and find an amazing place to eat".  It was my vibe.  But I've relegated it to the same place we put our brief plan of buying a vacation home in Tahoe.  Save a ton of money by just visiting a few times/year.  Even having more frequent trips to both need to wait some years until we retire and have more time/money.

Actually NYC made me realize how claustrophobic I would feel living in a small town like Lake Tahoe for part of the year.  Some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.  But, hustle and bustle it is not!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    kvruns said:

That actually sounds much more reasonable!  I thought $500K was a 20%-25% DP and was gasping for air, lol.

same here, I was thinking these were like $3M homes
  • Huzzah for over-educated and under-employed! That's me now, unfortunately. Had a job I loved, using my Masters in medieval studies working in marketing for a publishing company. Then they decided to dissolve my position, and after looking for work for five months, ended up in minimum wage at a call center.  Job searching for only five months was exhausting and depressing as it was, and I can't imagine doing it for eighteen months, but people have to keep options open and not be too picky. I actually don't mind the job I'm at right now, but it is frustrating to have something that was amazing and to not be able to get back to it.

• kerbohl said:
    Huzzah for over-educated and under-employed! That's me now, unfortunately. Had a job I loved, using my Masters in medieval studies working in marketing for a publishing company. Then they decided to dissolve my position, and after looking for work for five months, ended up in minimum wage at a call center.  Job searching for only five months was exhausting and depressing as it was, and I can't imagine doing it for eighteen months, but people have to keep options open and not be too picky. I actually don't mind the job I'm at right now, but it is frustrating to have something that was amazing and to not be able to get back to it.

That is frustrating!  I hope there is another great job waiting for you somewhere in the future.

There are times when I've thought about looking for something else.  If I'm patient enough and strategically sent out resumes, I could probably find a better paying job.  But the work environment where I am is so great.  I'm scared to leave for an "unknown".  And find that the money is greener...but the grass is not ;).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohl said:
    Huzzah for over-educated and under-employed! That's me now, unfortunately. Had a job I loved, using my Masters in medieval studies working in marketing for a publishing company. Then they decided to dissolve my position, and after looking for work for five months, ended up in minimum wage at a call center.  Job searching for only five months was exhausting and depressing as it was, and I can't imagine doing it for eighteen months, but people have to keep options open and not be too picky. I actually don't mind the job I'm at right now, but it is frustrating to have something that was amazing and to not be able to get back to it.

That is frustrating!  I hope there is another great job waiting for you somewhere in the future.

There are times when I've thought about looking for something else.  If I'm patient enough and strategically sent out resumes, I could probably find a better paying job.  But the work environment where I am is so great.  I'm scared to leave for an "unknown".  And find that the money is greener...but the grass is not ;).

This happened to me many years ago - left a great work environment for more money and ended up regretting it! I have since told my kids that the people with whom you work and the culture of the workplace count for a whole lot!
  • kvruns said:
    eileenrob said:
    kvruns said:

I'm wondering if the issue is that these people are walking in with huge down payments?

I know when friends of ours in Ffld county were looking for a rental they were immediately shoved out of places when people could show up with a year's worth of rent in cash. 
  • kvruns said:
    eileenrob said:
    kvruns said:

Nope!  There are a few LI towns with $3M homes, but not where we’re looking.  I can’t imagine having that kind of money.  And the super-expensive towns aren’t walkable...and I highly doubt we’d fit in personality-wise.  Over the summer when I’m off from school I do a little guidance counseling on the side and help incoming 12th graders get a jumpstart on their college applications.  A coworker told me I could double my hourly rate if I advertised in certain towns’ forums.  I ended up in one home where when i asked where the bathroom was, the mother told me “the help uses the bathroom down the hall on the left”.  :#
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2018
    eileenrob said:
    kvruns said:
    eileenrob said:
    kvruns said:

Nope!  There are a few LI towns with $3M homes, but not where we’re looking.  I can’t imagine having that kind of money.  And the super-expensive towns aren’t walkable...and I highly doubt we’d fit in personality-wise.  Over the summer when I’m off from school I do a little guidance counseling on the side and help incoming 12th graders get a jumpstart on their college applications.  A coworker told me I could double my hourly rate if I advertised in certain towns’ forums.  I ended up in one home where when i asked where the bathroom was, the mother told me “the help uses the bathroom down the hall on the left”.  :#
    Godddamn.  :/

I was thinking $3M homes as well, but all cash makes more sense.   Living in an area that has one of the best income to housing price ratio, the pricing in high COL areas is mind-bottling.  Our friends who live in San Diego had to rent for about 10 years before they could afford to buy their house, which they've been slowing renovating/updating since.  Whereas, I was 22 and making about $30k/year when I bought my first house with no issue.  (It was most definitely a starter home in a vinyl village, but still...I owned it.)
  • banana468 said:
    I'm wondering if the issue is that these people are walking in with huge down payments?

I know when friends of ours in Ffld county were looking for a rental they were immediately shoved out of places when people could show up with a year's worth of rent in cash. 

I was very surprised to find out on my real estate investing forum that this is against landlord/tenant law in most of the country.  There is usually a limit as to how much rent people can pay in advance.  But it may have been fine where that was or landlords/tenants just did it anyway.

It's allowed where I live and my very first tenants paid 6 months rent, up front, to waive the additional $300 pet deposit.  It was pretty sweet!  They moved out 13 months later because they bought their own home a couple blocks away, lol.  They (and their dogs) left the place in perfect condition, so it was a real win-win for me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

I was very surprised to find out on my real estate investing forum that this is against landlord/tenant law in most of the country.  There is usually a limit as to how much rent people can pay in advance.  But it may have been fine where that was or landlords/tenants just did it anyway.

It's allowed where I live and my very first tenants paid 6 months rent, up front, to waive the additional $300 pet deposit.  It was pretty sweet!  They moved out 13 months later because they bought their own home a couple blocks away, lol.  They (and their dogs) left the place in perfect condition, so it was a real win-win for me.

Interesting.   It was in Ffld county in CT so I have no idea what the law was but it was frustrating for our friends. 

@mrsconn23 my FIL used to work in some of those homes and they were well....crazy.   He worked in home heating oil and one client actually had them quote out the cost to build a refrigerated room for all of the wife's fur coats.  

A ROOM.  FOR THE FUR COATS.  
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Interesting.   It was in Ffld county in CT so I have no idea what the law was but it was frustrating for our friends. 

@mrsconn23 my FIL used to work in some of those homes and they were well....crazy.   He worked in home heating oil and one client actually had them quote out the cost to build a refrigerated room for all of the wife's fur coats.  

A ROOM.  FOR THE FUR COATS.  

Wow!  That is some craziness.  People who live in a different stratosphere from me, lol.

While people are allowed to do what they want with their money, I'd like to hope that they are also large contributors to a Coats for Kids type of charity.

This was a few years ago, but I watched a show about the Spelling mansion.  She had a good-sized room just for gift wrapping.  The walk-in closet for the master bedroom was something like 1500 sq. ft.  Bigger than some people's whole houses!

Wedding Countdown Ticker