Wedding Woes

NWR: Colposcopy and all the joy they bring

2»

Re: NWR: Colposcopy and all the joy they bring

  • VarunaTT said:
    Okay, so:  https://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/do-i-need-colposcopy-and-cervical-biopsy#1

    I skimmed through here and didn't see any, but everyone IRL person with uterus I know who has had one, including myself, didn't feel adequately prepared by their doctors for this procedure.  While I don't rate it very high on my pain scale like a broken bone or something, it was painful, shockingly so, and I cramped like a mofo afterwards.

    It sounds like you're really anxious about it b/c of your past experiences.  While I wish your doctor was being more understanding, they have relented and given you the Xanax.  Xanax is really commonly prescribed for this very reason, and is known to work.  Let it work it's magic, and it will, and you will be okay.  

    The doctor is not going to give you pain medications for this, period.  I'd ask if you can take the prescription strength levels of Advil or Aleve (I found Aleve to be more effective for cramping generally).
    I will try that when I go to pick up the script. I have never taken xanax, so I am concerned about it not affecting me. Although I have never taken anything similar to xanax even, so I suppose it wouldn't be on the market if it wasn't effective. 
  • I would be really surprised if Xanax didn't work.  There are always exceptions, but this would be kind of "the exception proves the rule."  Unless you have a known resistance to other drugs or have close family members who have known resistances, you're not very likely to be that exception.  Also worrying about that?  Part of the anxiety.  And you'll know if it's working, b/c it'll help.  From other friends and experiences, it's just a removal of an edge, mellowing things out.  If you feel like it's not (and I'd have a trusted friend with you, who can tell, b/c you're not going to be able to, I don't think, b/c of your fear), cancel the procedure and re-discuss your options with your doctor.
    charlotte989875STARMOON44holyguacamole79kimmiinthemitten
  • levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    I mean, do I think local anaesthetic and a little extra strength painkillers would be good? Do I think that if we did colposcopys on men it would come with a Xanax, local anaesthetic, sedation and a Vicodin after automatically? Yes to all of the above. But unfortunately that’s not how it works. I’d disagree that it’s just the same as a Pap smear. In a Pap smear you aren’t shaving and cutting off pieces of the cervix. Performing colposcopys will be in my scope of practice once I am done with school. It’s a shitty procedure for sure and I’m not looking forward to doing them. 
    I think that’s just complete overkill. And how does this help? She needs it, shitty or not, and her doctor won’t prescribe this. It’s a very short procedure that is usually not particularly painful. Anxiety is understandable. It is being treated appropriately with anti anxiety meds. She will be fine!
    Where did I say she doesn’t need it? Above I said expressly that she needs to go. And I said that a Xanax and otc would probably be fine. Healthcare tends to minimize the pain and experiences of women. Women’s healthcare was built on the coercion of women without consent, anaesthetics, or bodily autonomy. So yeah, I do think colposcopys should have more attention paid to the pain than is currently acknowledged. Just because women are told to “suck it up” doesn’t mean it’s right. Studies have shown that local anesthetic during the procedure greatly reduces pain. It’s a procedure that carries a lot of anxiety, so sure, go ahead and give a Xanax before hand. I’d probably say 600 mg of ibuprofen is enough after the procedure to manage pain, but if a patient had repeated procedures without relief than I would prescribe a one time stronger painkiller. 

    I think OP should proceed with the Xanax and OTC since the Xanax will be new to the mix. It might work wonders for her. I think her doctor has responded appropriately. But feel free to ignore the fact that I’ve already said that three times. 
    All of this. 


    levioosa
  • levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    I mean, do I think local anaesthetic and a little extra strength painkillers would be good? Do I think that if we did colposcopys on men it would come with a Xanax, local anaesthetic, sedation and a Vicodin after automatically? Yes to all of the above. But unfortunately that’s not how it works. I’d disagree that it’s just the same as a Pap smear. In a Pap smear you aren’t shaving and cutting off pieces of the cervix. Performing colposcopys will be in my scope of practice once I am done with school. It’s a shitty procedure for sure and I’m not looking forward to doing them. 
    I think that’s just complete overkill. And how does this help? She needs it, shitty or not, and her doctor won’t prescribe this. It’s a very short procedure that is usually not particularly painful. Anxiety is understandable. It is being treated appropriately with anti anxiety meds. She will be fine!
    Where did I say she doesn’t need it? Above I said expressly that she needs to go. And I said that a Xanax and otc would probably be fine. Healthcare tends to minimize the pain and experiences of women. Women’s healthcare was built on the coercion of women without consent, anaesthetics, or bodily autonomy. So yeah, I do think colposcopys should have more attention paid to the pain than is currently acknowledged. Just because women are told to “suck it up” doesn’t mean it’s right. Studies have shown that local anesthetic during the procedure greatly reduces pain. It’s a procedure that carries a lot of anxiety, so sure, go ahead and give a Xanax before hand. I’d probably say 600 mg of ibuprofen is enough after the procedure to manage pain, but if a patient had repeated procedures without relief than I would prescribe a one time stronger painkiller. 

    I think OP should proceed with the Xanax and OTC since the Xanax will be new to the mix. It might work wonders for her. I think her doctor has responded appropriately. But feel free to ignore the fact that I’ve already said that three times. 
    All of this. 


    Thank you @levioosa, I missed your comment initially. I am going to try it, I'm just upset that with my doctor well aware of my apprehension and previous medical history (we've discussed this multiple times) that I had to pretty much beg for assistance. I had switched from a male gyno to female in hopes that she may understand where I am coming from. I know I'm an outlier as far as pain goes, so I wanted to see if I was totally alone in my experience or unjustified in my request to my doctor.
  • @ellamber - i've never had the procedure done, so i don't fully understand the pain/anxiety - but would your OBGyn be willing to give you a 2 day supply of the Xanax so you could understand how you react to it prior to the appointment? I think that seems like it would be fair - if you don't feel like it makes a difference for you, then you still have time to look at other options. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    @ellamber - i've never had the procedure done, so i don't fully understand the pain/anxiety - but would your OBGyn be willing to give you a 2 day supply of the Xanax so you could understand how you react to it prior to the appointment? I think that seems like it would be fair - if you don't feel like it makes a difference for you, then you still have time to look at other options. 
    I'm not sure, I doubt it since she was hesitant to prescribe even one. I'm hesitant to take it unnecessarily as well. I am hoping to speak with her when I go pick up the prescription.
  • 6fsn6fsn
    Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    member
    If you need to speak with her I'd call or email her. Please don't just hope to catch her. it will be better for everyone if she can be prepared to talk to you and answer any questions. 
    charlotte989875
  • CMGragainCMGragain
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    member
    edited February 9
    UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!  :o
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    member
    edited February 9
    ellamber said:
    I'm looking for a large, broad audience to pose this situation to and I feel like WW can be good for that. I'm scheduled for a colposcopy in 6 weeks. I have had three previous, and none have been good experiences. All have been quite painful, and stressful, and due to this I'm experiencing a lot of stress and anxiety surrounding the appointment, so much so that I am thinking of cancelling and taking my chances.

    I've spoken to my doctor, on NUMEROUS occasions, and explained my history and my fears and my apprehension. I have only been to this doctor twice, all of my previous history has been in previous offices (in different states). She has told me repeatedly to just "give it a try" and "itll be different here," and "well we have so and so here to hold your hand!"  :| Finally, she agreed to provide me a one time dose of xanax to take.

    Here's my concern: It took a long time for my doctor to listen to me, and then she provided a one time dose of xanax, which I appreciate, but the anxiety is due to the pain experienced. I'm not drug seeking, if I were it wouldn't be from the gynos office. Do I take the xanax, hope my doctor is right, and cross my fingers? I'm afraid, sadly, if I don't have a bad, painful experience this time for whatever reason, I'm going to have to go through the same fight and possibly lose when this comes up again next year.
    Ahem!  I have stage four cancer.  Twenty-five years ago, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, which was removed and did not reoccur.  For the last ten years I have had breast cancer which went metastatic four years ago.  Maybe if I had gotten tested earlier, they could have beaten it.   I have maybe a year left.

    WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM???????   Get your ass into the doctors and get yourself checked out!!!!!  Do you have any idea what a cancer patient goes through?  Pain?  Stress?   If not, you are welcome to walk into my oncology center and see for yourself!  :s
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    ellamber said:
    I'm looking for a large, broad audience to pose this situation to and I feel like WW can be good for that. I'm scheduled for a colposcopy in 6 weeks. I have had three previous, and none have been good experiences. All have been quite painful, and stressful, and due to this I'm experiencing a lot of stress and anxiety surrounding the appointment, so much so that I am thinking of cancelling and taking my chances.

    I've spoken to my doctor, on NUMEROUS occasions, and explained my history and my fears and my apprehension. I have only been to this doctor twice, all of my previous history has been in previous offices (in different states). She has told me repeatedly to just "give it a try" and "itll be different here," and "well we have so and so here to hold your hand!"  :| Finally, she agreed to provide me a one time dose of xanax to take.

    Here's my concern: It took a long time for my doctor to listen to me, and then she provided a one time dose of xanax, which I appreciate, but the anxiety is due to the pain experienced. I'm not drug seeking, if I were it wouldn't be from the gynos office. Do I take the xanax, hope my doctor is right, and cross my fingers? I'm afraid, sadly, if I don't have a bad, painful experience this time for whatever reason, I'm going to have to go through the same fight and possibly lose when this comes up again next year.
    Ahem!  I have stage four cancer.  Twenty-five years ago, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, which was removed and did not reoccur.  For the last ten years I have had breast cancer which went metastatic four years ago.  Maybe if I had gotten tested earlier, they could have beaten it.   I have maybe a year left.

    WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM???????   Get your ass into the doctors and get yourself checked out!!!!!  Do you have any idea what a cancer patient goes through?  If not, you are welcome to walk into my oncology center and see for yourself!  :s
    yEs, cancer is very prominent in my family history. I understand that it is important to get checked, so no need to for the lecture there. My point is, AS A DOCTOR if your patient is having these issues and concerns and is considering not following up at all, why still come at them with the "Well its just not a painful procedure?" That's my point. My main problem here is I don't have faith in my doctor after going through multiple phone calls, emails, and messages to see if they could simply just give me something temporary to ease my anxiety and pain, AFTER having discussed this with her at length. I make my appointments like a good little grown up and force myself to go to them, and every year we discuss the same thing, "What if this pap is abnormal? Do I need a colpo? Why? What are my other options? Can I be sedated?" etc. I have been her patient for three years, my previous experiences have all been in my home state.

    I didn't know if anyone had ever had any experiences like I have, if they had been able to be prescribed something. Perhaps I should've been more clear in my OP, and asked that question specifically. But I am concerned that if I don't have a similar, crying in pain reaction, that when my pap is abnormal next year (because it will be) I'm going to be SOL. 

    It seems like its acceptable to have anxiety or stress relating to dental work, MRI's/CT's, or other similar tests, but not when it comes to gynecology issues. Maybe I'm just sensitive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Hopefully it goes well, and I can maybe have it written into my chart that I need medication to attend appointments.


    charlotte989875kimmiinthemittenMyNameIsNot
  • CMGragainCMGragain
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    member
    edited February 10
    Having stress issues about tests = fine.
    Avoiding tests because of anxiety or fear of pain = NOT fine!

    I had plenty of pain and anxiety when the cancerous lesion on my cervix was removed.  Too bad they didn't have the easy tests then that they have now.

    Honestly, your post has made me very angry.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • 6fsn said:
    If you need to speak with her I'd call or email her. Please don't just hope to catch her. it will be better for everyone if she can be prepared to talk to you and answer any questions. 
    ^^^ this. 
    if you're not comfortable with your doctor or discussing care/procedures, then you need to find another doctor. you will need to be proactive in reaching out (call, e-mail, etc.) - she may not understand just how uncomfortable you find this procedure or the impact of the treatments in the past. It sounds like it puts you in a vulnerable position, and can be painful. (Other past experiences could also make a procedure like this very difficult/stressful for women - e.g. rape or sexual abuse, so I can't imagine that she wouldn't be accommodating.) If you've had several bad experiences, you need to be clear with the doctor how distressing you find this procedure, and have an opportunity to discuss questions/concerns and your treatment plan. If she can't provide you with the level of support that you think you need - ask her if she can recommend another OBGYN that works with anxious patients. 

    you may want to talk to a therapist too, on the anxiety piece. like pp said, that's likely making this experience much worse for you. 
    charlotte989875
  • CMGragain said:
    Having stress issues about tests = fine.
    Avoiding tests because of anxiety or fear of pain = NOT fine!

    I had plenty of pain and anxiety when the cancerous lesion on my cervix was removed.  Too bad they didn't have the easy tests then that they have now.

    Honestly, your post has made me very angry.
    I'm sorry my post has made you angry. You obviously handle the pain and anxiety better than I do.
  • *Barbie* said:
    6fsn said:
    If you need to speak with her I'd call or email her. Please don't just hope to catch her. it will be better for everyone if she can be prepared to talk to you and answer any questions. 
    ^^^ this. 
    if you're not comfortable with your doctor or discussing care/procedures, then you need to find another doctor. you will need to be proactive in reaching out (call, e-mail, etc.) - she may not understand just how uncomfortable you find this procedure or the impact of the treatments in the past. It sounds like it puts you in a vulnerable position, and can be painful. (Other past experiences could also make a procedure like this very difficult/stressful for women - e.g. rape or sexual abuse, so I can't imagine that she wouldn't be accommodating.) If you've had several bad experiences, you need to be clear with the doctor how distressing you find this procedure, and have an opportunity to discuss questions/concerns and your treatment plan. If she can't provide you with the level of support that you think you need - ask her if she can recommend another OBGYN that works with anxious patients. 

    you may want to talk to a therapist too, on the anxiety piece. like pp said, that's likely making this experience much worse for you. 
    I agree, and while I do think I was clear with her, maybe I wasn't. My appointment right now is scheduled as a "consultation" so I will be able to talk to the doctor before the procedure, but of course I will have taken my xanax by then, so maybe I will try to schedule another and just pay out of pocket since my insurance wont cover it. 

    And yes, I agree on the therapy. The only time I have felt like this has been surrounding this procedure, and only after the first time I have had it done. I don't normally feel stress and anxiety to this degree, and this is the first time I've felt like I should request medication, but I will check with my insurance and see if it is something they might cover as well.
  • I think that taking the Zanax and combination of ibuprofen and acetaminophen will likely be enough, but you could ask for a prescription for Percocet single dose to be filled only if you are finding that your pain is not well controlled with acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

    Ibuprofen can usually be taking up to 800mg for very short durations and acetaminophen up to 1000mg every 4 hours up to 4000mg per day. My department just finished a campaign about giving acetaminophen together with ibuprofen (max dose for both) based on great evidence that pain control is better. 
    charlotte989875
  • VarunaTT said:
    Okay, so:  https://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/do-i-need-colposcopy-and-cervical-biopsy#1

    I skimmed through here and didn't see any, but everyone IRL person with uterus I know who has had one, including myself, didn't feel adequately prepared by their doctors for this procedure.  While I don't rate it very high on my pain scale like a broken bone or something, it was painful, shockingly so, and I cramped like a mofo afterwards.

    It sounds like you're really anxious about it b/c of your past experiences.  While I wish your doctor was being more understanding, they have relented and given you the Xanax.  Xanax is really commonly prescribed for this very reason, and is known to work.  Let it work it's magic, and it will, and you will be okay.  

    The doctor is not going to give you pain medications for this, period.  I'd ask if you can take the prescription strength levels of Advil or Aleve (I found Aleve to be more effective for cramping generally).
    Yes to the bolded. 

    Also, it's easier said than done, but it's important to advocate for yourself by making sure you get the time to ask all the questions you need to, which may help with the anxiety. This doesn't necessarily mean a doctor prescribing something, but it does mean that afterward, you should feel like your concerns have been heard, taken seriously and addressed in one way or another.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
    kimmiinthemitten
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards