Wedding Woes

Monday, ie who else doesn't get President's Day off?

Not me.  Slogging away at work.  How was everyone's weekend?

I did two mystery shops on Friday.  I was really sick on Saturday morning.  Almost a migraine, throwing up.  Took a nap at 1PM.  Woke up at 4:30PM.  Feeling just fine!  Weirdest thing.  But it felt like that entire day disappeared.

It finally felt like some progress got made on my rental unit next door.  I spent over two hours on Sunday cleaning the oven and the tile around it.  And that was just the top of the oven.  I still have the inside to do (groan).  My H spent most of Sat. and almost all of Sun. doing paint and wall repairs.  It's times like these when I hate people and their selfishness.

With any luck, it should be back to rent-ready in a few more days (sigh).  But that's about all that is going on in our lives at the moment, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Monday, ie who else doesn't get President's Day off?

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2018
    Working here!   Both DH and I are working and DH's job is for a gov't contractor.   It's never really phased me as a work day.   The last time I had this day off I think I was in high school.   Even my college had it as a regular class day and I went to a state school.

Saturday I took Chiquita ice skating at the local rink.  It's been a year since we went but she is getting her footing and I chuckled when we finished.   She said, "I think I'm ready for the Olympics, Mom."  I had to remind her that she needs to do more than just go forward and not fall but I admire her determination.

Sunday I had to get chores done, some work projects and it was the Daytona 500.  DH pretty much sinks into the couch for that day.

We're in the middle of trying to potty train DS.   He's 3.5 and it's not entirely clicking but I think he's lazy.   Trying to get this kiddo to poop in the toilet requires such motivation.   Most days I don't have it in me to give the required pep talk.   I think we need a Winnie The Pooh weekend. 
  • Here’s to a speedy house recovery @short+sassy 

MIL has been here for the last week and we have been running ourselves ragged. The other day we woke up, went to drunch, came home and passed out. That was all we did that day, lol. I sent her to Dubai with DH today so I could get some actual cleaning done aka listen to podcasts. Tomorrow, and the next day, is just running around looking for last minute souvenirs before she leave Thursday morning (2am).

Next week I am helping out the barn by spending 4 days working a booth trying to get new clients. They are giving me 16 free lessons for it so I am pleased. I have to go shopping for some “professional clothes” though since I don’t own any.
  • @banana468, your ice skating story reminded me of a cute moment this weekend.  We have the nicest couple who lives next door and they have a daughter who is (I think) 9ish.  She was on our block on Sunday with her parents, learning how to ride a bike for the first time.  We all live on a pretty chill, low traffic street.  I watched for a few minutes chit chatting with them and cheering her on.  Every time it was SO close, but not quite.

I know being a parent has its challenges, but watching your child achieve milestones has to be one of the great perks. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Interesting.  I just found out this morning that whatever tax changes were done in December, now have to be implemented by companies.

Today, I got my first paycheck with the new change and my take-home went up $36.  Which is slightly more exciting because it bumps me up to the next "hundred", so to speak.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh stuck working today. But, got my taxes done this weekend so feeling accomplished at least :)
  • Oh also an actual wedding related vent- nope. I don’t want to go to Your out of town black tie wedding where I will know not a single other guest without a date. I know it’s a perfectly acceptable thing to do, I won’t hold a grudge, I’ll send a gift, but don’t be all shocked and sad when I tell you I don’t think I can make it. 
  • Weekend was all houses; the one we were super excited in had an offer and was under contract late Friday night, so we're bad people and hoping it falls through. The others we saw Saturday were terrible; one we saw yesterday was nearly perfect, expect it was next to a highway. It's still slow season here so more should be coming on the market soon. We hope. 

I finally got a decent run in this morning. My back still feels really tight and my stride was really stiff, but relatively little pain. 

I have off of one job today, but have to teach a class this evening, but I'm working from home until I have to go in for office hours. 
  • I'm also impressed, and jealous, of everyone who is done with their taxes. We finally have all our documents, and H is doing them himself this year for the first time. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    @short+sassy, I'm sorry that you feel sick. I hope you're better soon.

I had a falling-out with my mother this weekend over a weird and stupid Facebook demand that led to my deactivating my Facebook account for the indefinite future. She wants me, my dad, and my brother not to respond to any Facebook comments she leaves on someone else's wall, even saying, "Why would you want to reply to my posts?" and "Write your own responses!" So obnoxiously controlling. I pointed out that she's only allowed to control her own Facebook usage and not anyone else's (she has no minor dependents) and suggested defriending her. Then she became really nasty, actually going so far to threaten to "defriend" me in real life. 

I'm appreciating the break from all the BS on Facebook, hers and others', at the moment so it may be an extended deactivation.
  • That sucks @Jen4948, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time lately. Social media, while there are a lot of good things, is often more trouble than it's worth. I've significantly decreased my time on Facebook lately and I'm happier for it. 
  • @banana468 my youngest brother (11 years younger than me) was the worst for potty training, specifically pooping. He basically refused to use it. He would rather poop in the yard like the dog, then winter came and he figured it out. 

@Jen4948 my mother and I are in the middle of some FB drama too. Not as deep as yours but I had call her out on an ignorant post.
  • @charlotte989875, sorry to hear the "good house" was already under contract and all the others were no-go's.  Never say never, but I'm rarely interested in properties that have a location problem, like being too close to a freeway or train track.  Properties like that will always be harder to sell and will sell for lower comps, when that time comes. 

@Jen4948, sorry to hear you got in a falling-out with your mom.  I'm in the minority that just never got into FB.  I have an account, but only check it once every month or two.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875, sorry to hear the "good house" was already under contract and all the others were no-go's.  Never say never, but I'm rarely interested in properties that have a location problem, like being too close to a freeway or train track.  Properties like that will always be harder to sell and will sell for lower comps, when that time comes. 

That is exactly what our agent said, too. It was hard because it was a great house that reminded me a lot of our house in Toledo that I loved. But it would be hard to resell and we don't know if we're looking for our "forever house" or 5-10 year house. 
  • The weekend was too busy.  I had a haircut, a Pride meeting, and a dog washing day on Saturday.  I'm not in love with my new haircut, but I think I know why.  I'm making a F/U appointment to get it dealt with.  The hairdresser is new and a friend and I hope he doesn't freak out that I hate my hair or anything.  I just forgot to tell him, "Oh I want bangs too" and so I didn't solve one of my problems with my hair in the first place.

Sunday we went and ate dinner with K's family.  Her grandfather is slipping away quickly, I think.  But it was an enjoyable time with everyone.

Work is SSDD. 
  • I so agree @ShesSoCold; this Christmas we had to move schedules around from what our extended family has traditionally done. Well my Mom didn't actually explain to her sister why we weren't all going to my Mom's on Christmas (because we spent the entire Christmas Eve with her at my sister's; who had a 9 month old) and she posted this long vague update about being not being with their family. Which was directed at me and my sister (my aunt confirmed, publicly that it was). So there was a miscommunication and instead of just asking what was up, my aunt posts this passive aggressive message about being not caring about family. 

So not worth it. 
  • @short+sassy it's so fun to watch things "click" with her.  She's at a really great age.

@missJeanLouise we found out that DS will stop what he's doing at daycare to pee.   He's just lazy at home.   The poop thing is tricky for a lot of kids but we're reaching the point where we know he "knows" but I think he also doesn't want to change yet.

I'm not forcing the kid into underwear yet and I don't want to shame him but I also would LOVE to reduce the monthly expense of stuff I throw away. 
  • Lol, banana. My LB was similar. He would pee in the toilet no problem, just didn’t want to poop there. I don’t remember how old he was, it is just a funny story I can’t help but bring up, lol.
  • Lol, banana. My LB was similar. He would pee in the toilet no problem, just didn’t want to poop there. I don’t remember how old he was, it is just a funny story I can’t help but bring up, lol.
    Yeah, we've even said, "Where are you supposed to poop?" and his answer is that he doesn't WANT to go there.  

We caught him one night just before he was about to start.   We asked, "Chiquito, what are you doing?"  He just stopped and said, "Don't look at me!!"    DH and I busted out laughing and he managed to go that one time.

Right now we're trying to get him to go poop by telling him he gets his lovey if he poops on the potty.  He's just like his dad and does what he wants at his own pace. 
  • banana468 said:
    Lol, banana. My LB was similar. He would pee in the toilet no problem, just didn’t want to poop there. I don’t remember how old he was, it is just a funny story I can’t help but bring up, lol.
    Yeah, we've even said, "Where are you supposed to poop?" and his answer is that he doesn't WANT to go there.  

We caught him one night just before he was about to start.   We asked, "Chiquito, what are you doing?"  He just stopped and said, "Don't look at me!!"    DH and I busted out laughing and he managed to go that one time.

Right now we're trying to get him to go poop by telling him he gets his lovey if he poops on the potty.  He's just like his dad and does what he wants at his own pace. 
    Cracking up at this!  I don't blame you, Chiquito, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Lol, banana. My LB was similar. He would pee in the toilet no problem, just didn’t want to poop there. I don’t remember how old he was, it is just a funny story I can’t help but bring up, lol.

Cracking up at this!  I don't blame you, Chiquito, lol.
    In our defense he was in front of the fireplace.    He hasn't picked out private spots.
  • Kids are off, but DH and I are working.  M2 had a soccer thing from 8-noon and HAD A BLAST.  I left 6let home alone for the first time ever when we went to drop her off.  I was more nervous than he was.

Weekend was good-

Kids were off and at my parents on Friday. I saw the doctor (labs were all excellent!).  I wandered Ikea then cried at how much lacrosse gear is going to cost.  DH and I had a wonderful dinner then went into a store that has some really cool t-shirts.  I didn't like that I'm still an X-large.  I don't want to care, but I do.

Saturday we went to a Home and Garden show then met up with the kids and my folks at 6let's basketball game.

Sunday was soccer, then another basketball game, then off to the ILs for FIL's 70th bday.  The restaurant BIL picked was not so great and the kids were not so great so that sucked.

I'm feeling accomplished today because I've figured out our summer camps.  It's FEBRUARY!!

• Raising my hand for working today and also having our taxes done. I wasn't taking any chances with the Equifax breach and finding out someone filed my taxes for me before I could. However, babybelle's daycare is closed today (professional development) so DH is home with him. They've been sending me all kinds of cute pictures.  <3

We got back from a trip and I left the house clean (win) but there is NO food (booo). Grocery store tonight and trying to find a damn name for this baby. It's weird to have to pick out two names. One is hard enough!
    *********************************************************************************

• Ugh - @southernbelle0915 Chiquita wasn't named until 18 hours before her birth.   We just couldn't settle on a girl name.   No pressure like Pitocin! 
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    At work today too. This weekend felt kind of blah. I think it’s because the house is kind of a mess still and the clutter is making me overwhelmed. SOs back is still hurt and he’s ignoring my advice so I’m not falling over myself to help him and that’s made him a little upset. Dude, take the Motrin. Ice and heat your back. Stop lifting things.

ETA: stupid TK ate the rest of my comment. Ugh. Not retyping it out on mobile again. 

• More "interesting", ie weird, for the day.  I just checked one of my e-mail accounts and saw my Entergy (energy/gas) bill was there.  I reluctantly opened the e-mail...bracing myself for the carnage from an extra cold January...and the balance was $19.62 (major head tilt).

I then opened the actual bill.  I figured I must have accidentally made a double payment or something.  Nope.  They had refunded me back my $150 deposit, plus the interest on it for the last year.  For "good payment history", something like that.

I've had this account just a few months shy of 7 years.  Not sure what the benchmark is for returning a deposit on a still open account.  But apparently it's long, lol.  I'm just surprised they returned it at all, actually.  I've only ever seen them do that after an account is closed.

On the plus side, woo-hoo, I just paid a $20 energy bill instead of a $177 one.  On the negative side, they were actually paying me 4.75% interest on that money!  Astoundingly better than any bank.  I'm assuming that's the interest rate they have to pay, by law, in whatever old regulations that falls under.  Ever year, they'd send me a check for $7 and change for the interest, lol.  Last year, I joked to my H that I should contact them and see if they would take a larger holding deposit.

But apparently that high interest gravy train is over now.  At least I got to pay what would have been a stupid high bill* with pocket change.

*FTR, that's for 1200 sq ft. WITH solar panels!  Though we mostly heat with gas and the solar panels obviously can't help that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bad chemo.  Bad.  Bad.  Bad.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Bad chemo.  Bad.  Bad.  Bad.

Really bad.  Bad. Bad. Bad. :(

Sorry it's been a rough day for you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker