Wedding Woes

Charlotte and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Charlie (our lovely, wonderful, dog) got sprayed by a skunk this morning. It's the most disgusting thing I have ever smelled. I showered and I still feel like I smell, even though I wasn't even the one walking him. The apartment smells terrible and I'm really hoping the smell didn't get into the carpets. 

Because of all that fun I didn't have time to make a lunch, get coffee, or dry my hair. So fun. 

Re: Charlotte and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

• yuck! I heard that it IS awful.  Poor Charlie and poor you guys!

Our "terrible, horrible no good very bad day" happened yesterday when I got a call from our tax prepper.  H owes.  More than he ever has owed (he usually owes, but he can usually pay it off within 90 days).  So hopefully he qualifies for the installment plan because I don't know where that money is coming from.

Other than that, ssdd.

• Ugh. I’m sorry. I think a lemon juice or vinegar bath helps? I can’t remember which. Our family dog got sprayed like 25 years ago and it was the worst. Plus if they get hit in the face it hurts. 

SSDD for me. Just work. I lost my fix it ticket paperwork so I have to try to call the court system today to get a replacement form. It’s cutting it really close. Ugh. And my doctor’s office called asking me to call back, but they didn’t say why. Which is really inconvenient. Either confirm my appointment, tell me you’re canceling, or give a brief synopsis. It’s so hard for me to make multiple business calls during business hours. 

• Oh no, Charlotte! That's like my worst nightmare! I hope you can get the stink out quickly!

I remembered late last night that the Smother in Law said she was coming down sometime early March and was staying A WEEK. I certainly hope she meant staying in the Chicagoland area for a week and not with us. H has got to call her today and clarify that we just can't accommodate them for an entire week.

Plus they are so far up our asses about helping us paint. Picking out colors and painting will be stressful enough and having them around will definitely lead to divorce. I don't want a divorce. They're going to St. Croix for several weeks so I told H we gotta paint while they're there so we can be all "Oh no I forgot you'll be out of town! How unfortunate!"

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @charlotte989875, I'm very sorry. That stinks in both senses of the word.

Today is still young and hopefully something good will happen.
  •  Oh no!!!!!  Olive has been sprayed twice.  Once was a direct hit, she was just outside our house in the fenced in yard and I immediately could smell it inside!  That was not a fun Friday night!  I did the best with what we had that night.  I got up early the next day and stocked up on white vinegar, peroxide, and baking soda to bath her again.  I also went to Petsmart and got the stuff they sell, while standing in line someone asked if they smelled skunk.  It was only then that I realized I still smelled even after my tomato paste shower after washing Olive.  I think it had more to do with not getting the smell off Olive totally that first night and then her sleeping right below me.  We were doing laundry for a week it seemed.

Use this concoction, it really works.  http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

You can also use it on fabric, if Charlie rubbed up against anything and the oils transferred.  Put out bowls of white vinegar everywhere you can.  It will absorb the smell.  Also put the vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it as often as needed.  The smell will leave your house.  I would probably throw away any towel that you used on Charlie last night.

Also, be prepared for the smell to potentially return.  We had to rebathe Olive 3 times to finally get all the smell out.  I think she had a direct hit in the face and it would eventually release more of the oils after a week or so.  When the smell on her returned, it was really only around the face.

• Oh no, @charlotte989875! That's awful! Our previous pup got sprayed at point blank range one night at 10:30pm when OF COURSE none of the stores near us were open. We used the deskunking shampoo - didn't work. So we used the giant bottles of V8 we had - didn't work. 

Seven baths and not much sleep later, we ended up having her "school" - which was an animal hospital that also did grooming - professionally deskunk her. Worked like a charm and worth every penny. I don't remember it costing all that much. 

But it will take days to get the smell out of your nostrils. You have my sympathy!!!
  • @charlotte989875 I've never had a pet sprayed with skunk, but I hear it's bad :( My coworker has done the dish soap, water and something else {@OliveOilsMom posted the mix!} I know some pet stores sell a spray you can use on pets after you've washed them to help with deeper scent.

@CharmedPam Booooo owing!! :(

@levioosa Do they have it online? I know a lot of forms that are required in my area, they try to have a blank one just in case. Hopefully you make your deadline!!

@ShesSoCold Welcome back! :) Are you and your H completely different when it comes to paint? Good luck with choosing colours! I know I'm picky, and I can't imagine how it'd be if M cared about paint {although he has said certain things he doesn't want in paint}

@Jen4948 Fingers crossed!!

SSDD at work.
    Weekend was ok. Didn't paint but we did go to Babies R Us to look about attachment for carseat vs stroller.
    It's a convertible seat, so it doesn't come out like the bucket seats. Plus the seat is apparently a picky brand that doesn't like to work with others, even if we'd been given the bucket seat.

I've been to Babies R Us before, but this was seriously overwhelming. Maybe it's because it's a different reason that makes it overwhelming?

Anyways we were there for about an hour. My coworker mentioned about a stroller, but we've now put a travel set on the registry just in case.

Got room set up, but we're painting likely next weekend. Might need BIL's help with something, so when we get his help with the basement freezer we're gonna have him help us with a couple other things.

Sunday we went for a nice dinner. We legit ate too much! Lmfao! M got the "meat sweats" because he kinda wolfed down the baseball steak.
    Also, for the 2nd time in my entire pregnancy I have been called out for being pregnant. At 24 weeks, that kind of surprises me. There's not really a way for it to not show anymore lmao!

Monday we saw M's grandparents. Unfortunately with weather and not feeling well, we've had to reschedule a few times. They understood because February is such a mix bag of weather.

For example, today and next few days are typical wet spring days. Mild and rainy as fuck. Like rainfall warning amount. *sigh*
    But folks, climate change doesn't exist .....

Tonight my mum and her bf are coming by for dinner and dropping off the crib. We're just doing pizza, since it's quick and middle of the week ....
  • Spoiler, maybe, for the Olympics (although honestly can you spoil live sports?)

anyone else over the moon about the ice dancing? I know we’ve got some winning team locals on here! I’m dying. So happy for them. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018

Oh no!  Poor Charlie and @charlotte989875.  That is a horrible and stinky start to the day.  I hope your day gets a lot better and the smell comes out of Charlie, yourself, and anything as easily as possible.

@CharmedPam, long story short, I owed a ridiculous amount of taxes (over $11K) due to a major error on my part in not claiming gambling winnings correctly.  Of all bizarre things.  I was not aware of the problem until the IRS finally contacted me (via certified mail) years later.  Yes, YEARS.  I had them put me on a payment plan until they processed my amended return.  FWIW, the payment they set for me was around $225/month for that amount owed.  They warned me it was at least 90 days before my amended return would be processed.  Whatever.

At any rate, from my experience, here are a couple options you all can take.  Call the IRS to set up a payment plan.  It was my impression they'll pretty much let anyone go on a payment plan.  It might have to be him that calls (not sure).  But expect to be on hold for at least 2 hours.  That's probably the "proper" way to do it.

But me, if I thought I could pay that amount off in a year or two, I either wouldn't bother calling them or would do it later in the year when the wait time might be more like 60-90 minutes.  In the meantime, I'd start paying down the balance and hopefully have it paid off before next year.  I would fall down in an absolute faint if the IRS actually contacted you all this year or even next year, especially if payments are being made of your all's own volition.  They just aren't that fast about it.  Penalties/interest accrue exactly the same way whether you all are on an official payment plan or not.

@levioosa, good luck with the ticket stuff.  So annoying.  Unfortunately, they don't have a "fix it" ticket option where I live now.  I was used to those from CA.  The first time I got a ticket like that, I trundled over to the court with proof I'd now gotten my brake tag and expected the ticket to be dropped down to a nominal "fix it" fee.  Nope.  The lady looked at me like I'd grown a second head and had no idea what I was talking about, lol.

I haven't been to Harrah's in at least a couple months, but have been feeling the video poker itch.  They have a new cantina inside that sells tacos and burritos.  I got an e-mail that the tacos are BOGO on Tuesdays in February.  That was the last straw needed to push me over the edge, lol.  So I'm heading over there after work and, as a bonus, I have a mystery shop for valet parking nearby.  Reimbursement plus a $20 fee.

Other than that, a bit of a busy day at work.  Pretty much all annoying stuff I don't care for, but that's the breaks sometimes, lol.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Spoiler, maybe, for the Olympics (although honestly can you spoil live sports?)

anyone else over the moon about the ice dancing? I know we’ve got some winning team locals on here! I’m dying. So happy for them. 
    YES! I thought everyone medaled (is that word? I'm sure it is) where they should have.  Did you see France's face after the scores were put up? They were not having any of it!

• @ShesSoCold Welcome back! :) Are you and your H completely different when it comes to paint? Good luck with choosing colours! I know I'm picky, and I can't imagine how it'd be if M cared about paint {although he has said certain things he doesn't want in paint}

STUCK -

H doesn't have a whole lot of strong opinions on paint colors and so far we're agreeing.

But I'm the type of person who needs to see every. single. option. available to me before I make any kind of decision so I have A LOT of stress about paint. I've also literally never picked out any paint color ever or done any decorating really, so that's adding to my stress. I told H to find out what brand of paint we're going to buy so I can at least narrow it down to 1,000 shades of blue as opposed to 100,000.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• @ShesSoCold Welcome back! :) Are you and your H completely different when it comes to paint? Good luck with choosing colours! I know I'm picky, and I can't imagine how it'd be if M cared about paint {although he has said certain things he doesn't want in paint}

STUCK -

H doesn't have a whole lot of strong opinions on paint colors and so far we're agreeing.

But I'm the type of person who needs to see every. single. option. available to me before I make any kind of decision so I have A LOT of stress about paint. I've also literally never picked out any paint color ever or done any decorating really, so that's adding to my stress. I told H to find out what brand of paint we're going to buy so I can at least narrow it down to 1,000 shades of blue as opposed to 100,000.

Omg you're like me with paint :')

I knew we were doing shades of grey, but it's so hard. I originally didn't want cool colours, but once I started comparing - I didn't want the warm greys because they're too brown. So cool greys are it.
    Do I want something more white toned? Blue?

I narrowed down our bedroom and the baby's room to something called "Lightest grey" {think a soft, dove grey} Which now seems like such an obvious option .... :') 

STUCK -

I recommend Sherwin Williams for an exterior.  It's super high quality, but super, super spendy.  Even with the regular 20-30% sales they have.

Because of the expense, we go with Behr for interiors.  I know Home Depot sells Behr and it's probably sold other places also.  It's still a great quality paint that will usually cover smoothly with 1-2 coats (over primer), but at half the cost of SW.

Warning.  You can find cheaper paints than Behr, and some of them might be fine but, because painting is so labor-intensive, it's especially important to spend a little more and buy quality.  Quality=huge time savings. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm here.  SO tired today, as I stayed up to finish ice dancing last night.  

Other than that, SSDD.
  • I recommend Sherwin Williams for an exterior.  It's super high quality, but super, super spendy.  Even with the regular 20-30% sales they have.

Because of the expense, we go with Behr for interiors.  I know Home Depot sells Behr and it's probably sold other places also.  It's still a great quality paint that will usually cover smoothly with 1-2 coats (over primer), but at half the cost of SW.

Warning.  You can find cheaper paints than Behr, and some of them might be fine but, because painting is so labor-intensive, it's especially important to spend a little more and buy quality.  Quality=huge time savings. 

I second this.  I spent more than I wanted on Sherwin Williams paint last week - but it was good paint!  They knocked the project down to 8 hours and it looks great.  It was interior though.  And who knows? maybe other brands would have looked the same?

STUCK -

I recommend Sherwin Williams for an exterior.  It's super high quality, but super, super spendy.  Even with the regular 20-30% sales they have.

Thanks - we're hoping to paint the entire interior and based on what I've read online, we're thinking Behr. H is one of those "more money = more better" people but SW paint is nearly twice as expensive! We have a slobbery dog and need to be able to scrub walls so we need a higher quality paint.

@MissKittyDanger I still have no idea. Thankfully I have a duvet cover that I FUCKING LOVE and it's blue and grey so I'm planning the bedroom around that and will probably go with a dark slate-y blue on one wall and a cooler grey on the others. Other than that I have no idea..

• Thanks everyone! Someone did walk by my office today and said they smelled skunk. Awesome. We did the dish soap bath immediately this morning and H is picking up the peroxide/baking soda for another one tonight if it's not gone (which it probably won't be). Thankfully the weather is warm so we were able to leave all the windows open. To be honest as much as he's out in the woods I'm surprised it hasn't happened before. 

I am so here for the Virture & Moir win last night. It was phenomenal. 

STUCK -

Thanks - we're hoping to paint the entire interior and based on what I've read online, we're thinking Behr. H is one of those "more money = more better" people but SW paint is nearly twice as expensive! We have a slobbery dog and need to be able to scrub walls so we need a higher quality paint.

We did our entire interior with Behr and it was great; covered ugly old colors well and was highly washable. Definitely worth the extra money. 
  • I second Sherwin Williams. We have used it in all three of our houses and it holds up well. I think paint is definitely a something that you you get what you you pay for kind of thing.

I was going to have lunch with a friend today but her DIL delivered a baby boy last night so she's busy being grandma! It's her first! I'm volunteering today as usual so nothing too exciting going on around here.

• @ShesSoCold I know it sounds insane, but have you considered bringing your duvet - or even a really good photo - in when you're paint hunting?
    I was looking for accessories and I wanted a specific blue {Tiffany's Blue tbh} and luckily I had a box from there, so I just kept bringing it every where when I was looking.
    Before I was carrying around a pillow case
  • @ShesSoCold I know it sounds insane, but have you considered bringing your duvet - or even a really good photo - in when you're paint hunting?
    I was looking for accessories and I wanted a specific blue {Tiffany's Blue tbh} and luckily I had a box from there, so I just kept bringing it every where when I was looking.

Doesn't sound insane at all - I brought the pillow case to Home Depot last week when we picked up chips and I'll probably bring it back when we buy samples.

Doesn't sound insane at all - I brought the pillow case to Home Depot last week when we picked up chips and I'll probably bring it back when we buy samples.
    I got a lot of looks when I had the pillow case and comparing the blues with it lol
  • Ugh skunk!!

I had to record Ice Dancing as I went to bed about 8:30 CT when the second group was dancing. I don't mind spoilers though. That poor woman in the short with the nip slip though!

Yesterday the baby's nose started running like a faucet and her temp went up to 100.5. She was just getting over an ear infection so I'm like, please don't let her get sick again so soon-- we have work from home privileges and very helpful grandparents who babysit but we don't want to abuse work flexibility. Thankfully she woke up this morning with a normal temperature so off to daycare; hoping she's still fine!

I got a lot of looks when I had the pillow case and comparing the blues with it lol

LOL I wish it was easier to remove a kitchen cabinet door and part of the counter so I could do the same with the backsplash issue I'm having!

LOL I wish it was easier to remove a kitchen cabinet door and part of the counter so I could do the same with the backsplash issue I'm having!
    When we were picking out kitchen tile for this house I took a coffee mug with me to get the right colors! So y'all aren't crazy at all!

A kitchen cabinet door should be pretty easy to remove.  Or pull out one of the drawers.  For the countertop, I'd take a pic of just the surface and then print it glossy on a full 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

A kitchen cabinet door should be pretty easy to remove.  Or pull out one of the drawers.  For the countertop, I'd take a pic of just the surface and then print it glossy on a full 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of paper.
    Depends on how close you want to get for that color and what color make it up when in paint.

Essentially your home printer is probably making the color out of CMYK.  

If you are going to hem and haw over gray tones you should bring the actual item with you.  It's possible that your home printer could recreate the image you took with your camera and it may add background colors that aren't actually in the image you want.   Add to that the lighting where you are photographing the image (what degrees Kelvin) and then the quality of the camera and if you're going to be nit picky this is where things can go poorly.

Sorry - working in printing for years and dealing with a situation like that this week has me seeing red...and I shouldn't! 

I want to take part of our back splash off also! It's a weird blue-grey mixture. It's darker than I'd wanna paint, but I want same tone

Rage painting!
  • banana468 said:
    Depends on how close you want to get for that color and what color make it up when in paint.

Essentially your home printer is probably making the color out of CMYK.  

If you are going to hem and haw over gray tones you should bring the actual item with you.  It's possible that your home printer could recreate the image you took with your camera and it may add background colors that aren't actually in the image you want.   Add to that the lighting where you are photographing the image (what degrees Kelvin) and then the quality of the camera and if you're going to be nit picky this is where things can go poorly.

Sorry - working in printing for years and dealing with a situation like that this week has me seeing red...and I shouldn't! 

How would I get a good photo of a back splash to get same tone? {if I find a darker one, I'll just see if they can lighten the colour}
  • It is GORGEOUS here today.  I did I slow jog this morning and I'm trying to convince Max we need a bike ride, but he's not playing that game.

I like to paint, but hate picking colors.  We've had great luck with Behr.