Wedding Woes

Sell the clothes on social media and donate the money?

2»

Re: Sell the clothes on social media and donate the money?

• Weird question, what is a pregnancy crisis center? We probably have them, but referred to something else.
    They are nonprofits set up to coerce women out of having an abortion. Supposedly they help women who have an unplanned pregnancy by providing a range of options, but really most are set up to convince women not to have an abortion. 

Some are more nefarious than others; the worst will advertise and tell women they provide abortions but don't, many will do an ultrasound and lie about how far along a woman is so she will believe she can't have an abortion, others will tell women they provide abortions and schedule multiple appointments over a number a weeks so that a woman who may be close to the state gestational age limit will have to wait for an appointment and then by the time the "procedure" appointment is set it's actually too late for her to have an abortion. Many provide outright lies about risks and complications of abortion. Others promise support throughout the pregnancy and after the baby is born.

Not all are this bad; some will come right out and say they don't make abortion referrals or give abortion information. 
    Oh, okay. Yeh we have similar ones - Birth Right is one that I see often - but they go through all the options {abortion included} but they're mostly a counseling centre to at least have someone to talk to
    Birth Right is a pro-life organization. Their goal is having women not get abortions. It is not a neutral counseling center. 
    Are they? I know one person who went there and she said they didn't seem pro-lifers
    Birthright is a Catholic run organization in my city. They have billboards (which I've had successfully pulled down) put up and signage everywhere. 

Personally, I have a couple of free FB sites that have moms that are needy that I give baby/kid stuff to. I would rather do this. 
    They have posts on transit still :\ If I knew I wouldn't get arrested, I would pull them off after learning all this :(
  • Weird question, what is a pregnancy crisis center? We probably have them, but referred to something else.
    They are nonprofits set up to coerce women out of having an abortion. Supposedly they help women who have an unplanned pregnancy by providing a range of options, but really most are set up to convince women not to have an abortion. 

Some are more nefarious than others; the worst will advertise and tell women they provide abortions but don't, many will do an ultrasound and lie about how far along a woman is so she will believe she can't have an abortion, others will tell women they provide abortions and schedule multiple appointments over a number a weeks so that a woman who may be close to the state gestational age limit will have to wait for an appointment and then by the time the "procedure" appointment is set it's actually too late for her to have an abortion. Many provide outright lies about risks and complications of abortion. Others promise support throughout the pregnancy and after the baby is born.

Not all are this bad; some will come right out and say they don't make abortion referrals or give abortion information. 
    Oh, okay. Yeh we have similar ones - Birth Right is one that I see often - but they go through all the options {abortion included} but they're mostly a counseling centre to at least have someone to talk to
    Birth Right is a pro-life organization. Their goal is having women not get abortions. It is not a neutral counseling center. 
    Are they? I know one person who went there and she said they didn't seem pro-lifers
    Birthright is a Catholic run organization in my city. They have billboards (which I've had successfully pulled down) put up and signage everywhere. 

Personally, I have a couple of free FB sites that have moms that are needy that I give baby/kid stuff to. I would rather do this. 
    They have posts on transit still :\ If I knew I wouldn't get arrested, I would pull them off after learning all this :(
    I called the City and Public Health and explained that the one billboard that they ran was egregiously, scientifically inaccurate and that in a city with 6 hospitals, 2 Universities, and 2 Colleges, could they not make a better showing on major roads? The billboards were taken down within the week. 
    I'm thinking I should call the city about it then!

I called the City and Public Health and explained that the one billboard that they ran was egregiously, scientifically inaccurate and that in a city with 6 hospitals, 2 Universities, and 2 Colleges, could they not make a better showing on major roads? The billboards were taken down within the week. 
    Weird question, what is a pregnancy crisis center? We probably have them, but referred to something else.

That's awesome they pulled the billboards! I'm thinking I should try that...though it's slightly less likely here in the bible belt :( 
  • That's awesome they pulled the billboards! I'm thinking I should try that...though it's slightly less likely here in the bible belt :( 

You all know how, in a lot of states, there are license plate choices to choose from?  For example, a plate with a state college theme, ie LSU.  Here where I live, they have a Pro-Life license plate choice.  But, of course, there isn't a Pro-Choice license plate option.

I can't imagine where, how, or why such a controversial topic was allowed to be a state/OMV-sanctioned LICENSE PLATE choice.  It's outrageous and galling, but that's Louisiana. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's awesome they pulled the billboards! I'm thinking I should try that...though it's slightly less likely here in the bible belt :( 

You all know how, in a lot of states, there are license plate choices to choose from?  For example, a plate with a state college theme, ie LSU.  Here where I live, they have a Pro-Life license plate choice.  But, of course, there isn't a Pro-Choice license plate option.

I can't imagine where, how, or why such a controversial topic was allowed to be a state/OMV-sanctioned LICENSE PLATE choice.  It's outrageous and galling, but that's Louisiana. 

Same here in NC. We have over 200 licence plate options but of course no pro-choice or anything. Our default option is "First in Flight" (sorry, Ohio) but of course there's also a "First in Freedom" option because...'Murrica I guess. 

Same here in NC. We have over 200 licence plate options but of course no pro-choice or anything. Our default option is "First in Flight" (sorry, Ohio) but of course there's also a "First in Freedom" option because...'Murrica I guess. 
    I’m now curious about my state’s special license plates!  I hadn’t even been aware  :D
  • eileenrob said:
    That's awesome they pulled the billboards! I'm thinking I should try that...though it's slightly less likely here in the bible belt :( 

I’m now curious about my state’s special license plates!  I hadn’t even been aware  :D

You know I'm bored at work when...

Here's the link for NY special license plates, lol

https://dmv.ny.gov/custom-plates/causes

That page has an example of the one for "Conserve Open Space" and a bluebird.  But there's a blue box to the right with two drop downs for other license plate options.  On the previous web page, they listed college-themed license plates available.

I was a little worried when I clicked on a license plate choice that said, "Life...Pass It On", but that one is for organ donation.  Right on!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our default is the Bicentennial plate.  You can also get "In God We Trust" at no additional cost (which when it came out, there was some debate).  We have USMC Vet plates since DH is a vet and the $15 extra goes to a veteran charity of some kind. 

There's a frillion plate types here as well.  My parents have JDRF plates.  My sister has alumni plates from her school. 
  • MO has the "Choose Life" plate and not a "Choose Choice" plate.  What I gather is that an organization pays $5,000 to have their plate offered.  I assume these Life groups have decided to put their money there and Choice groups are too busy out there protecting choice.

• Ro041 said:
    MO has the "Choose Life" plate and not a "Choose Choice" plate.  What I gather is that an organization pays $5,000 to have their plate offered.  I assume these Life groups have decided to put their money there and Choice groups are too busy out there protecting choice.

Admittedly, I have no idea what the process is in Louisiana.  But my strong suspicion is that a Pro-Choice plate would not be allowed to be an option here.

But that is interesting to read.  I have been curious as to where all the different themed plates come from.  That does make more sense that it is probably "organization pushed" as opposed to a state choosing various options.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:

That page has an example of the one for "Conserve Open Space" and a bluebird.  But there's a blue box to the right with two drop downs for other license plate options.  On the previous web page, they listed college-themed license plates available.

I was a little worried when I clicked on a license plate choice that said, "Life...Pass It On", but that one is for organ donation.  Right on!

Omg thank you so much!! How cool!  There was even one “Discover Queens”...our borough represented!! Maybe we should get it  :D
  • eileenrob said:

Omg thank you so much!! How cool!  There was even one “Discover Queens”...our borough represented!! Maybe we should get it  :D

I saw that one and also thought it was neat a specific borough had a "locals" choice like that.

This year is the 300th anniversary of New Orleans and the default plate, I think they started it last year, reflects that.  I was living here for the bicentennial of the Louisiana Purchase and there was a special default plate for that one also.  Unfortunately, my car buying timing has had me miss out on both of those and I currently have the usual boring one.  Whoops, don't want to jinx myself for this year, lol!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

On Sunday H & I were running errands and were behind a car with a Mass RMV sanctioned Pro Life plate. I don't get it. I find it completely inappropriate and offensive.

I don't know if this is popular in other states, but down here there is a somewhat popular bumper sticker that says something like, "Your momma was Pro-Life!"

While I understand the "joke", albeit a blatantly false one, the first thought that pops in my head is always, "Oh?  Really?  And you know that how?  Because LOTS of women are mothers and are Pro-Choice.  Choosing to have a baby is LITERALLY one of the choices.  So, please stop with the ridiculous inference that being Pro-Choice is being Anti-Babies, smh."

I was pro-choice before I had a baby, and waaaay more pro-choice now that I've had a child. No one should have to be forced to raise a child that they don't want, nor carry it to give up if that's not what they absolutely want. 
    That's  an interesting viewpoint.   When I first saw DD's heartbeating on the US, I found myself even more firmly believing to be pro life.

I can't claim to have all the answers and understand that it's not simple but that heartbeat was life that deserved to be born.

But while I understand that others don't agree with me I can understand that we don't make it really hard for a pregnant woman to be supported.   
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2018

On Sunday H & I were running errands and were behind a car with a Mass RMV sanctioned Pro Life plate. I don't get it. I find it completely inappropriate and offensive.

I don't know if this is popular in other states, but down here there is a somewhat popular bumper sticker that says something like, "Your momma was Pro-Life!"

While I understand the "joke", albeit a blatantly false one, the first thought that pops in my head is always, "Oh?  Really?  And you know that how?  Because LOTS of women are mothers and are Pro-Choice.  Choosing to have a baby is LITERALLY one of the choices.  So, please stop with the ridiculous inference that being Pro-Choice is being Anti-Babies, smh."

I was pro-choice before I had a baby, and waaaay more pro-choice now that I've had a child. No one should have to be forced to raise a child that they don't want, nor carry it to give up if that's not what they absolutely want. 
    Nothing makes me more pro-choice than the knowledge that as a rich white lady with multiple passports, I will always have a choice. When, hopefully, I have a baby it will be because I want to. 
  • @TrixieJess I get it.   Our systems are not well set up to support women who are pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy.   I also think we do a terrible job about educating people about sex in general. 

My view on abortion doesn't change - but I can't stand how many pro-life politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths. 
  • banana468 said:
    @TrixieJess I get it.   Our systems are not well set up to support women who are pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy.   I also think we do a terrible job about educating people about sex in general. 

My view on abortion doesn't change - but I can't stand how many pro-life politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths. 
    I respect all sides and agree with you. At least in my country, I didn't have to worry about medical costs, maternity leave, or going back to my job after taking time off. I also support the fact that our province has rolled out a comprehensive sex education curriculum that starts in Kindergarten and includes things like consent, sexting, cyber sex, birth control, LGBTQ issues and so on and so forth (and age appropriate intervals). 
  • banana468 said:
    @TrixieJess I get it.   Our systems are not well set up to support women who are pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy.   I also think we do a terrible job about educating people about sex in general. 

I respect all sides and agree with you. At least in my country, I didn't have to worry about medical costs, maternity leave, or going back to my job after taking time off. I also support the fact that our province has rolled out a comprehensive sex education curriculum that starts in Kindergarten and includes things like consent, sexting, cyber sex, birth control, LGBTQ issues and so on and so forth (and age appropriate intervals). 
    That is one of the more infuriating aspects in this country.   I'm lucky that my pregnancies were planned, DH and I are financially OK and we had relatively few complications.    I went back to work when each child was less than 2 mo and had both health and supplemental insurance.

There's an overall flippant response to pregnancy that is very frustrating and until those with such a response understand that taking care of pregnant women and children benefits all of us as a whole, there won't be understanding on the issue.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

That is one of the more infuriating aspects in this country.   I'm lucky that my pregnancies were planned, DH and I are financially OK and we had relatively few complications.    I went back to work when each child was less than 2 mo and had both health and supplemental insurance.

There's an overall flippant response to pregnancy that is very frustrating and until those with such a response understand that taking care of pregnant women and children benefits all of us as a whole, there won't be understanding on the issue.
    I just read an article that quoted 23% of working mothers returned to their job just 10 days after giving birth. I just find this abhorrent. We don't value women, healthcare for women, or children after they are born. 

I'd obviously strongly pro-choice (like probably radically so) and a huge part of that is that women have access to prenatal care, time to care for themselves after a child, and resource to care for that child. We completely separate pro-birth from pro-life in this country and I think it's ridiculous.

But then you try to point that out and the majority of pro-life advocates say you're the horrible one. I have a couple aunts who are super-mega-Catholics and if I so much as ask why pro-life doesn't usually include caring about children once they're born and poor or sick or hungry and pregnant women, then all of a sudden it's someone's "choice" to have had a child and "they should just deal with it." 

@banana468 you've been so much more level headed about this than what I usually encounter, it's nice to have a conversation like this.
  • @ahoywedding, I was in a conversation about this years ago on TK and learned a few things.  :-) 

IMO, a baby conceived deserves to HAVE a life.   I cannot understand the concept of trying to tell a mom that her baby deserves not to die and yet while she's pregnant or immediately after the same person is also shamed for getting pregnant and having the child we so desperately begged her to have. 

To add to it, we then make raising that baby something that "she got herself into".

I'm all for personal responsibility here.   But unfortunately until the pro-life movement (and really - I'm talking about legislators and politicians) have the same compassion that the pro-choice movement has, we're not going to move that pendulum.    

• I'm not sure if after having the baby will change my mind, but I'm pro-choice. I know I was raised pro-choice as well, and my mum instilled that if I got pregnant and chose to have an abortion she would be there but always talked about the after effects.
    Personally, I don't think I could go through with an abortion.

That being said, unfortunately a sad story is that a woman my mum worked with would also almost brag about getting an abortion and taking Plan B like it was a vitamin. My mum would be hurt by her choices - because she couldn't have any more kids - but always kept her mouth shut because it was this lady's choice. :\
  • banana468 said:

The bolded, 100%.  Even with Canada's new sex education curriculum in place, we aren't doing enough to educate about this issue that will at some point effect almost every person.  It's ridiculous that I'm an adult married woman, and sometimes I have difficulty accessing the resources that I need. I'm lucky to have a good doctor now, but definitely didn't have good resources growing up.

It boggles my mind the fact that people don't want to educate or talk to their kids about consent either. That's not even just a sex thing - if a child doesn't want to play tag, and another kid keeps coming up to them and smacking them and yelling that they are "it", that's a good opportunity to teach them the importance of respecting others enough to listen when they say "no". And then keep teaching them as they get older. It seems so simple to me.