Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank You Card for Hostess Gift

What are everyone’s thoughts on sending a thank you card for a hostess gift received? For example, I co-hosted a bridal shower this past weekend and the sweet bride gave me and the other hostess a gift as a “thank you.” Do I send a TY card for this gift even though the gift itself was the “thank you?” That feels a little bit like saying thanks for saying thanks, haha! Am I crazy to think it would be weird to send a note? And if I do, what would it say?! “Thanks for the hostess gift, so great to see you at the shower!” ???

Thoughts?

Re: Thank You Card for Hostess Gift

• edited February 2018
    What are everyone’s thoughts on sending a thank you card for a hostess gift received? For example, I co-hosted a bridal shower this past weekend and the sweet bride gave me and the other hostess a gift as a “thank you.” Do I send a TY card for this gift even though the gift itself was the “thank you?” That feels a little bit like saying thanks for saying thanks, haha! Am I crazy to think it would be weird to send a note? And if I do, what would it say?! “Thanks for the hostess gift, so great to see you at the shower!” ???

Thoughts?
    I definitely don't think you need a thank you card for the hostess gift. I think you could just send a text saying "Thanks so much for the lovely [insert gift here], I'm excited to try it out/display it/check out the restaurant/whatever". 
  • The hostess gift is a "thank you". This would be like writing a thank you note because someone gave you a thank you note. KWIM? Not necessary.
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with the other PPs.  If you already thanked her for it in person, nothing more to be done.  If you received it another way, then give her a quick call, text, or e-mail that thanks her and lets her know you received it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The hostess gift is a "thank you". This would be like writing a thank you note because someone gave you a thank you note. KWIM? Not necessary.

OK, glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way! Thanks for the input, ladies. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a total etiquette faux pas by only thanking her in person.