Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Do I REALLY need music?

I've seen so many posts about this, but none seems to really apply. I'm having a small, super intimate wedding at the beach in Florida. Neither FH or I will have a wedding party, so it's just my dad and I walking down the "aisle". I've already kind of touched on this with my officiant, and he says that with groups my size, he usually has everyone grouped toward the front and the whole thing should last at most 20mins. I don't see a need for music as I'm walking in, especially with the waves in the background. Most everyone will know each other so they can just mingle as well if things do become a little silent in the off moments. I'd appreciate any thoughts... I'm also not having a reception, just a cozy dinner at a nearby favorite spot, so no DJ for that either.

Re: Do I REALLY need music?

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    You don't need music, but you do need to provide hospitality to everyone invited to the ceremony immediately following the ceremony, so you'd better forget about any cozy dinners with just you and your FI until after you provide that hospitality.  It's extremely rude not to provide any hospitality to your guests after they took time and perhaps money out of their own lives to witness a life-changing event in yours. 

It doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive, but neither can you shrug it off by saying "We're not having a reception." That reception thanks your guests for attending your wedding ceremony, and to do nothing shortchanges your guests and takes them for granted. It's a gigantic act of rudeness.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    When I say "there's no reception, just dinner", I mean that I'm not having a formal reception. All the guests are coming to the dinner in lieu of a reception. I, in no way, insinuated I was shrugging anyone off.
  • Options
    When I say "there's no reception, just dinner", I mean that I'm not having a formal reception. All the guests are coming to the dinner in lieu of a reception. I, in no way, insinuated I was shrugging anyone off.
    Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Options
    I think your plans sound lovely. 
  • Options
    That’s fine. 
  • Options

Yeah no music is fine.

My wedding sounds pretty similar - we had like 30 people and it was just me walking in. My sister went into the ceremony room, told everyone to sit down and told my dad to go out in the hall and get me. It took me like 10 seconds to get down the tiny "aisle". Music would have been odd, I think.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    My sister got married on the beach, and there was no music. Their ceremony was pretty short, and the walk for the processional was like 10 feet so any song they chose wouldn't have been played for long. It felt more natural, since the wedding was outside on the beach to not have music in my opinion. She also did a similar thing afterwards; hosted a meal but no big "reception." 

Your plan sounds lovely!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    Your dinner IS your reception.  A reception is when the hosts greet their guests after the ceremony, thank them for coming, and offer them food and drink.  That is all.  Nothing else is necessary.
    You do not need music - and I am a musician! 
    Your plans sound very appropriate.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Though not on a beach, my H and I had an outdoor ceremony and reception with a small guest list.

For music, we hired a family friend and her H to play guitar (they are professional musicians) before the ceremony started and for the processional.  For the reception, we just plugged in an IPod.

I agree with the other PPs that music isn't necessary for the type of ceremony you all are planning.  But a guitarist could also be a simple, low key addition if you all would want some music for the ceremony.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're having a small wedding as well. We're only having music, because it's complimentary to our wedding package. Like you, we didn't want a formal reception so we are taking everyone to a buffet.

For the music element, I would think the music would be drowned out. The beach is the music and the scenery in one.