Attire & Accessories Forum

Under the Dress Help!

Hi Knotties, I need some “intimates” help...

My dress is very form-fitting in the butt and hips, so I’m not really sure what underwear would be best. For the top I’m having cups sewn in, but I’m in need of some “bottoms” advice. 

A link to my dress is here for reference: 
https://www.mikaellabridal.com/collections/gowns-collection/style-2077

I'm not a fan of thongs and don’t plan on wearing shapewear so I’m not really sure what that leaves me. Is there any sort of seamless underwear I could get, and if so any recommendations on brands/where to buy? I’m not really a lingerie person, lol, so any help is appreciated!

Re: Under the Dress Help!

• Your dress is gorgeous! My dress was also lace and fitted through the butt and hips; I just went to Macy's and picked up some lace-edged cotton underwear. You'll probably want something that lays flat rather than has an edge. Victoria's Secret also has some good seamless underwear. 
  • Victoria's Secret has a whole line of seamless panties in different cuts. They are really fabulous and I highly recommend them. I would probably buy a pair and wear them under something tight for a test run to see if they "roll" on you. If not, there you go!
    *********************************************************************************

• I would wear a pair of shorts, to make SURE there's no panty lines. Especially something where the waist comes up to about the belt-line of the dress, so there's no chance of showing any lines. They don't need to be "shapewear". My favorite is Jockey brand "skimmies": https://www.jockey.com/catalog?department=women&category=underwear&style=slipshort. They're not shapewhear, they don't hold anything in, they just smooth it out so there's no lines. They sell similar things at any department store, and even Target, Kohl's, etc. 
  • Soma has a line of no show underwear called Vanishing Edge. There are numerous styles - boy shorts, briefs (regular, modern, high cut), hipster. Check them out to see what you like best.
  • If you have a Nordstrom by you I would highly recommend taking the dress up there and having one of their lingerie employees help you! They’re great 
  • Wear your normal underwear or something comfortable for the wedding night in a neutral color (wouldn't recommend bright red for example under white)...  If the dress is THAT tight you won't be able to sit down without worrying about busting a seam.  
  • edited February 2018
    MesmrEwe said:
    Wear your normal underwear or something comfortable for the wedding night in a neutral color (wouldn't recommend bright red for example under white)...  If the dress is THAT tight you won't be able to sit down without worrying about busting a seam.  
    It’s not that it’s too tight, just form fitted and definitely shows an underwear line!
  • I think seamless underwear will work fine. I've used them successfully in the past, although I don't remember the brand. Also, the lace overlay on that dress will help hide any lines. 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Wear your normal underwear or something comfortable for the wedding night in a neutral color (wouldn't recommend bright red for example under white)...  If the dress is THAT tight you won't be able to sit down without worrying about busting a seam.  
    It’s not that it’s too tight, just form fitted and definitely shows an underwear line!
    Again, if the dress is so tight as to cause VPL (visible panty line) even with the lace and it isn't spandex, the underwear of choice isn't the problem you need to be worrying about...  The simple solution is a thong or seamless ultra thin style that you're more comfortable with, but that doesn't take care of the real issue in the fitting room.  
  • MandyMostMandyMost member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2018
    A thin fabric is going to show a pantyline even if the dress is fairly flowy. PLENTY of clothes that fit perfectly and are very modest may show a pantyline, depending on the fabric. 
  • Soma has a line of no show underwear called Vanishing Edge. There are numerous styles - boy shorts, briefs (regular, modern, high cut), hipster. Check them out to see what you like best.
    I second this suggestion!  I wore the Vanishing Edge underwear under my gown - I wear them every day and they are hands-down the best underwear I have ever owned.  One further suggestion:  I actually wore these underwear under this pair of Soma leggings.  I didn't have to be concerned about VPL because I wore a ballgown.  On the other hand, you might be able to see the waistband line of these leggings through your dress.  I suggest them because they sit high on the waist, and they kept me sweat-free and moving comfortably without my legs sticking together on our wedding day.
  • Just don’t wear panties at all