Wedding Woes

Wednesday!!

Re: Wednesday!!

• kvruns said:
    Ok not being mean, but a rat riding an eel???  LOL 

LOL oh not mean at all. It's totally weird and ridiculous. Chris (the tattoo artist) just randomly draws shit up and H is all "YES I WILL HAVE THAT". He has several of these weird things. I'm pretty sure H trusts Chris more than he trusts me.

Not my thing, but I always find it interesting when people are like your H lol and it's good he trusts him. I think if you were injecting him with anything, he'd prob trust you like that too ;)

Kinda like my friend/hairdresser. Idgaf what she does, I trust it'll look good. {although hair is a little less permanent than tatts lmao}
  • @mrsconn23 This is perfect timing for me LOL. I'm taking DD to go visit my parents in Indy this weekend while DH goes fishing, and I'm supposed to pick up the case of Yuengling that we can't get here. Now I won't have to remember to do it before we're heading out of town on Sunday.
  • 7.5 more school days until Spring Break ....

Ughhhhh.  So, I was sick for 2 days last week, which puts me a bit behind in where I want to be so I feel like I'm rushing to teach stuff before the end of the quarter and Spring Break ... because heaven knows that I'll have to reteach any information I teach the Thursday & Friday before Spring Break.  :|

I continue to be amazed (good & bad) by the response to the Florida school shooting.  I just saw that Dick's sporting goods will stop selling assault-style weapons.  GOOD!!!

The students in Florida continue to amaze me.  I made a comment today to my class about how the world underestimated teenagers.  One of my students said, "yeah - we aren't known for eating Tide pods anymore!!!"  Granted, I met with a student this morning who got a 25 on her last quiz (out of 100), so .... yeah.

If one more person suggests arming teachers, though, I'm gonna scream!
    Aarrgghh, I don't even understand the logic!  Why isn't it super obvious to anybody that a teacher who keeps a gun with them in the classroom is a rife opportunity for a child/teenager to steal it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @TrixieJess, yeah, I wish these idiots suggesting this knew what a teacher's reality is really like.

I'm at a private school, so unions can't really do much for me.  The salary does bite but I do have decent benefits.  The nice thing about being at a small private school is that the decision makers for the most part are in the same building.  Heck, the guy who does our finance and HR stuff is downstairs and I often run into him in the teachers lounge.  They actually recently changed our savings plan to make it more profitable for us.  Prior to the shooting, my classroom door could only be locked from the outside.  I was talking to our maintenance director about my concerns and he said he shared them.  Within a week, he was in my classroom (and others) installing locks that I can enable from inside my classroom.  In the grand scheme of things, I have it pretty good.

I want to be armed with more resources to help my struggling students.  I have several with learning disabilities and I don't have the experience / training to give them the help they deserve.  I want to be armed with better testing to diagnose these learning disabilities.  I have several students whom I bet have a disability of some sort, but the process to get them tested so they can get the help & accommodations they need is tedious.  

And, if people want to give teachers bonuses for being armed, I suggest you start with bonuses for the teachers who give their time to be extra curricular sponsors.  Our Student Council sponsors do a crap ton of extra work ... finding venues and DJs for school dances, planning events.  I don't think they get any extra dough.  I certainly don't get any extra $ for being the advisor for National Honor Society and spending extra time to plan inductions and handle the application / selection process and deal with parents who call the school angry that their daughter didn't get in.

So, yeah - by all means, a gun is what I need to do my job better.
  • 7.5 more school days until Spring Break ....

Ughhhhh.  So, I was sick for 2 days last week, which puts me a bit behind in where I want to be so I feel like I'm rushing to teach stuff before the end of the quarter and Spring Break ... because heaven knows that I'll have to reteach any information I teach the Thursday & Friday before Spring Break.  :|

I continue to be amazed (good & bad) by the response to the Florida school shooting.  I just saw that Dick's sporting goods will stop selling assault-style weapons.  GOOD!!!

The students in Florida continue to amaze me.  I made a comment today to my class about how the world underestimated teenagers.  One of my students said, "yeah - we aren't known for eating Tide pods anymore!!!"  Granted, I met with a student this morning who got a 25 on her last quiz (out of 100), so .... yeah.

If one more person suggests arming teachers, though, I'm gonna scream!
    Aarrgghh, I don't even understand the logic!  Why isn't it super obvious to anybody that a teacher who keeps a gun with them in the classroom is a rife opportunity for a child/teenager to steal it. 
    @short+sassy I firmly believe that if my mother had a gun in her classroom that the man who assaulted her would have found it and used more than a shirt he pulled over her head to hurt her.  

And I can't understand the logic.   How would you set up schools?   In elementary schools where many teachers are just not former military or trained in marksmanship, what do you do when word gets out that some teachers are unarmed?   It's not making any sort of logical sense.
  • @TrixieJess, yeah, I wish these idiots suggesting this knew what a teacher's reality is really like.

I'm at a private school, so unions can't really do much for me.  The salary does bite but I do have decent benefits.  The nice thing about being at a small private school is that the decision makers for the most part are in the same building.  Heck, the guy who does our finance and HR stuff is downstairs and I often run into him in the teachers lounge.  They actually recently changed our savings plan to make it more profitable for us.  Prior to the shooting, my classroom door could only be locked from the outside.  I was talking to our maintenance director about my concerns and he said he shared them.  Within a week, he was in my classroom (and others) installing locks that I can enable from inside my classroom.  In the grand scheme of things, I have it pretty good.

I want to be armed with more resources to help my struggling students.  I have several with learning disabilities and I don't have the experience / training to give them the help they deserve.  I want to be armed with better testing to diagnose these learning disabilities.  I have several students whom I bet have a disability of some sort, but the process to get them tested so they can get the help & accommodations they need is tedious.  

And, if people want to give teachers bonuses for being armed, I suggest you start with bonuses for the teachers who give their time to be extra curricular sponsors.  Our Student Council sponsors do a crap ton of extra work ... finding venues and DJs for school dances, planning events.  I don't think they get any extra dough.  I certainly don't get any extra $ for being the advisor for National Honor Society and spending extra time to plan inductions and handle the application / selection process and deal with parents who call the school angry that their daughter didn't get in.

So, yeah - by all means, a gun is what I need to do my job better.
    In Ontario, you have to be a part of the Teachers' Union in order to teach at any school, public or private. I have friends who haven't lived in this country for years who pay their dues to the union in case they come back so that they are guaranteed a place if they want to teach. 

It's cool though, if you're in the union, you get massive discounts on a lot of things. My one girlfriend gets us passes to the Toronto Zoo and is going to get us ones to Lego Land this year. 
  • @holyguacamole79 Couple friends of mine are teachers and have been sharing this image on fb. I also disagree about arming teachers, for reference.

Image result for arming teachers cartoon
  • I don't really understand how all of a sudden we can arm teachers and expect them to take out an active shooter on a murderous rampage......but we can't trust them to ration school supplies or teach children outside preparing for standardized testing. 

I honestly want someone articulate (and smart) to explain why arming teachers is a good idea. So far, all I've heard is "more guns keep people safer" and "we need to fight gun fire with gun fire." Mmmmmkay. But like, the armed police officer trained to respond to an active shooter couldn't control the situation? Ohhhh he thought the shooter was outside. Sorry, but that's some bullshit, Officer Peterson.
    *********************************************************************************

• My constant thought with all these shootings is not just gun control, but when they say how these people - teens - are getting access to the guns.

I was raised in a house where my dad was a hunter. He had zero issues showing me about it when he was cleaning the gun, or when he went out before hunting season to ensure it was working properly. But I never EVER had access to the safe. The keys were always on him.

M has the gun safe now, and guns of his own {hunting and range practice - he'd like to do a competition at some point} and the keys are also on him all the time.
    When it comes to the kid wanting to see what he's doing when he's cleaning or whatever, M's already said the second she reacts unsafely {which he will be ensuring she knows what's safe and what's not safe to do around firearms fyi} then she will essentially be "grounded" {ie; if M is in the basement cleaning guns, she's not allowed down there until she understands what she did was unsafe, etc}
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    My constant thought with all these shootings is not just gun control, but when they say how these people - teens - are getting access to the guns.

I was raised in a house where my dad was a hunter. He had zero issues showing me about it when he was cleaning the gun, or when he went out before hunting season to ensure it was working properly. But I never EVER had access to the safe. The keys were always on him.

M has the gun safe now, and guns of his own {hunting and range practice - he'd like to do a competition at some point} and the keys are also on him all the time.
    When it comes to the kid wanting to see what he's doing when he's cleaning or whatever, M's already said the second she reacts unsafely {which he will be ensuring she knows what's safe and what's not safe to do around firearms fyi} then she will essentially be "grounded" {ie; if M is in the basement cleaning guns, she's not allowed down there until she understands what she did was unsafe, etc}
    It is about gun control. In Ontario where we're from, you have to be licensed, have a background check, do a class, and offer proof that your weapons and ammo will be stored separately. There is also a legal age for specific weapons. We don't have legal access to the majority of weapons that they do in the States. 

ETA: the majority of mass gun shootings, the weapons were obtained legally. 
  • @MissKittyDanger , I saw that political cartoon a few days ago and LOVE it.  I showed it to my school president yesterday and she thought it was spot on.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see her at the upcoming protest here in Houston.  She's a nun, so I'm sure that could be entertaining.  Granted, she doesn't wear a traditional habit, so nobody would know.

On a lighter note, I was grading quizzes last week and was incredibly frustrated with the mistakes they made and the grades they got.  I was venting to another teacher and said jokingly, "and they want to give me a gun!?"  (Obviously I would never do anything ... I just had to laugh)
  • My constant thought with all these shootings is not just gun control, but when they say how these people - teens - are getting access to the guns.

It is about gun control. In Ontario where we're from, you have to be licensed, have a background check, do a class, and offer proof that your weapons and ammo will be stored separately. There is also a legal age for specific weapons. We don't have legal access to the majority of weapons that they do in the States. 

Oh yeh for sure. But tbh, I don't think it's just gun control. I feel it's a mental health AND gun control issue.

M's going for his restricted license {like I said, he wants to get into competitions} in April and he MIGHT get everything done by December since it's typically 8 month process.
  • @holyguacamole79 I love it too because once you start thinking and reading everything it says that teachers do, it's 100% true! In school, there were some teachers who would 'phone it in' but others were all of those things and more.

Oh yeh for sure. But tbh, I don't think it's just gun control. I feel it's a mental health AND gun control issue.

M's going for his restricted license {like I said, he wants to get into competitions} in April and he MIGHT get everything done by December since it's typically 8 month process.
    Once the framework is there for restrictions on legally obtaining a firearm, mental health issues can be sorted. You will always have people who have mental health issues, it's a red herring in all this. Once you have background checks on people and can determine whether they are able to own a gun due to mental fitness, and whether they have a record, that is important. Also, if people really want to illegally obtain guns, they will do it. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:
    I learned the hard way on this. I thought it was odd that there was a bathrobe hanging on the closet door but I just figured the person didn't care or forgot about it. As I learned after I bought the house, the bathrobe was covering a fist sized hole in the door. Whatever house I buy next you can be sure I will be moving every single item, rug, etc like that. 
    When we were house hunting, we found this too. People are shady. I remember doing a head tilt at an odd rug placement only to lift it up and see MAJOR water damage to the hardwood floors. We crossed the house off the list right then and there. If the see
    This is why I hate seeing houses when people still live there. I'm not totally turned off by a house that needs repairs (we can do a ton ourselves), but I am not even going to consider a house if it feels like they're hiding what needs to be done. 

We saw one a few weeks ago (pretty sure it was an estate selling the house) where there was water damage on some floors and drywall; the sellers had actually pulled back carpet so people could see how limited the damage was. I actually really appreciate that; at least you know what you're getting. 
    Yes.  I definitely had an easier time with houses that weren't lived in when we were house-hunting.  Our house had actually been empty for several years before we moved in.  People are shady AF about hiding stuff and also, shit does come up during an inspection (like holes and water damage)...so why try to hide it? 

Agreed!!!  And not even so much "hiding" something but, if there is a major and obvious defect to the house, have a pic of that or talk about it in the listing.  Because my offer price goes down even lower when I'm "surprised/irritated" by trekking out to a house, only to find there's a major defect that wasn't disclosed.  It's just a waste of everybody's time.

My funniest example is a house I saw on Craig's List.  The ad had just been placed and had quite a few pics.  It was advertised as a fixer-upper and listed some of the repairs that needed to be made.  No one was living there.  Great so far.  The seller gave us the code to enter the house and take a look at things.

In the pics, the rooms had useful features like...oh, you know...floors.  We get to the house and open the door (it's a slightly raised house, no slab).  There are no floors.  Not even sub-floors.  Just the beams where the sub-floors will eventually go.  We decide to check it out anyway...Nadia Comaneci-style...balancing on the beams to walk through, lmao.  We decided to pass and a big part of that is the rough repair budget we had in our minds was blown out of the water, once we saw the enormous flooring repair expense that had not been mentioned, smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I teach at a university and I'm always worried something like Virginia Tech is going to happen here. Student mental health issues have been increasing over the last 10-15 years, the stress of college/jobs/family is hard on students and we don't have resources to help them, and universities (at least mine) are completely open to the public. I look for the closest exits, I worry when people show up unannounced to my office, or a student I don't recognize comes to class. I keep the university police on speed dial. But even so there is no circumstance in which I would want to be armed in the classroom. Never. 

And H is a hunter; he's owned guns for decades. They're kept locked in a safe. I don't believe in banning all guns, everywhere forever. But c'mon this is just ridiculous. There is no reason an 18 year old should be able to walk into a store and walkout with a semi-automatic gun. Hell, people can't legally drink, but sure you responsible enough for a weapon designed to be used in a war zone. 
    We have a high number of mental health issues amongst university and college students here too. The difference being that they cannot just walk into any gun shop and purchase a gun when they're in the mood, nor can they storehouse a number of registered weapons on their premises. Also, purchasing a gun would cut into their beer money. Weapons up here are really expensive. 

• I teach at a university and I'm always worried something like Virginia Tech is going to happen here. Student mental health issues have been increasing over the last 10-15 years, the stress of college/jobs/family is hard on students and we don't have resources to help them, and universities (at least mine) are completely open to the public. I look for the closest exits, I worry when people show up unannounced to my office, or a student I don't recognize comes to class. I keep the university police on speed dial. But even so there is no circumstance in which I would want to be armed in the classroom. Never. 

And H is a hunter; he's owned guns for decades. They're kept locked in a safe. I don't believe in banning all guns, everywhere forever. But c'mon this is just ridiculous. There is no reason an 18 year old should be able to walk into a store and walkout with a semi-automatic gun. Hell, people can't legally drink, but sure you responsible enough for a weapon designed to be used in a war zone. 
    We have a high number of mental health issues amongst university and college students here too. The difference being that they cannot just walk into any gun shop and purchase a gun when they're in the mood, nor can they storehouse a number of registered weapons on their premises. Also, purchasing a gun would cut into their beer money. Weapons up here are really expensive. 
    Exactly. 
  • I think the hardest thing about this whole debate / issue is that it doesn't boil down to one problem.  As I see it, the 3 main issues are access to the guns, treatment for those with these issues, and security.  We have an HPD officer that directs traffic for us after school, but the rest of the day we have no armed protection.  We're in the middle of downtown, but we're also a such small school that a lot of people don't realize that we're here.

On a happier note, BASEBALL IS BACK!!!!!
  • I think the hardest thing about this whole debate / issue is that it doesn't boil down to one problem.  As I see it, the 3 main issues are access to the guns, treatment for those with these issues, and security.  We have an HPD officer that directs traffic for us after school, but the rest of the day we have no armed protection.  We're in the middle of downtown, but we're also a such small school that a lot of people don't realize that we're here.

On a happier note, BASEBALL IS BACK!!!!!
    I understand all of these things (except the baseball)...I hope that some real changes come about from this. As an aside, when they relaxed some of the gun laws pertaining to registration and number you can own several years back, there was an uptick in gun fatalities. 

I know there's a University in Ontario that opened a puppy room for students and teachers to visit and essentially decompress. I believe it's in Toronto.

I'm not sure stats on if it works, but it could be something other schools could look at.

Also yes .... weapons aren't cheap. Even a good knife isn't cheap!
  • More government ranting...

Do you all remember when Ben Carson did his big tour of HUD housing across the U.S. shortly after being named Secretary?  And was all furious about how "comfortable" it was?  Someone should have told him that all the rats AREN'T HUD provided pets for the children, but I digress.  He didn't say that, I'm just being a b**ch because much of public housing is in deplorable condition.

Apparently he just spent $31K of tax payer money to re-do his office. 

Secretary Carson, I think YOU are too comfortable.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Working a temp job.

I am now the (not) proud daughter of two cancer patients. And I got 3 job rejections.

Ooooooooother than that, nice day today.
  • I am so sorry @Jen4948:( 
  • Oh, no, Jen. I'm so sorry.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @Jen4948 I am so so sorry. You get all my hugs today. 

One hour after our General Counsel issues an email about workplace harassment and bullying, I got hollered at by a fucking 23-year-old man boy in our NY office who thinks he knows how to do my job. I won't stand for completely unprofessional behavior - especially from someone who has 9% of the experience I have - so I went to his boss and HR and reported him. 

Going to the gym tonight to blow off some steam and then I am going to have a large glass of Chenin Blanc. 
  • Sorry to hear all of that Jen