Chit Chat

**SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

Re: **SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

• My mom and I chatted about the episode on my drive in this morning. She said she read a summary of the episode before she watched it because she just needed to know  LOL.

I remember a few years back she was talking about a movie she wanted to see and my H saw it and she was like "tell me if so and so dies" and he's like nope won't tell you. and she's like I have to know or I won't go see the movie and then was like I'll just look it up online if you don't tell me. She needs to know the spoilers so she doesn't stress about it I guess. 
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    I actually didn't cry at the actual hospital scene, either...  it was SAD, but I was wrapped up in watching Mandy Moore's acting...  I really only teared up a little when Kevin went to his tree and "talked" to his dad.

I loved the twist at the end with Tess being the adult social worker.  So cute.

PS- was anyone else so happy that the dog made it out, too?  That would have been the worst part for me, lol.  

Yes!  Me too, lol.  Though I was eye rolling big time that they would have been able to hear that little dog barking...over the roar of a huge fire...while they are outside on the ground.

Lots of people online were poking the same holes in the story that you all mentioned about the heart attack.

Just one of those you have to chalk up to being a fictional tv show and try not to analyze  with reality too hard, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Finally watched off of my DVR last night! I was glad I set extra time, but I totally set up way too much extra time lol. Oh well.

I was really really glad the dog and Jack did not die in the fire. I teared up when Rebecca told Miguel and then the kids about Jack. 

I also really loved the twist with Tess. I will be interested to see what happens with Deja. I imagine there will be something profound that ultimately leads Tess to become a social worker as an adult. 
  • And another episode tonight!!  Yay for no waiting between episodes

• I just came on here to post that there was a new episode. I didn’t realize there was one tonight until I saw a teaser

i recorded Jimmy Fallon from Sunday night where the cast were on and it was so dumb, a 2 min segment and the big 3 cheer and that’s it. Lame
  • kvruns said:
    I just came on here to post that there was a new episode. I didn’t realize there was one tonight until I saw a teaser

i recorded Jimmy Fallon from Sunday night where the cast were on and it was so dumb, a 2 min segment and the big 3 cheer and that’s it. Lame
    I didn't realize there was a new one last night either until I saw a teaser during Ellen's Game of Games.

The cast did the big 3 cheer during their segment on Fallon? That is SUPER lame!! I'm glad I missed it lol
  • I feel bad that Kate feels so responsible. Didn’t anyone point out to her that her dad also stayed to get photo albums, jewelry, etc.
  • kvruns said:
    I just came on here to post that there was a new episode. I didn’t realize there was one tonight until I saw a teaser

At least you recorded it.  I actually stayed up later than I should have on Sunday to watch it, because I couldn't wait to see it.  I had to suffer through the first half of his show before they came on.  And then it was so brief!

I don't usually watch late night talk shows.  But that particular episode should have been titled:  "Jimmy Fallon -- the Justin Timberlake hour", smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’ve seen JT on Fallon before and liked it but I FFW through most of it this time 

current episode: when Rebecca is talking to the Dr at the funeral it made me think, I thought the whole family visited the Dr when he was in the hospital. I was thinking it was right before he died but I guess that’s not true. Was it when the kids were little? Or was Jack not there and I never noticed 
  • It was before Jack died, as I'm pretty sure he was there.  Bt maybe he was sick and didn't die, or is still sick when Jack dies

• Guess who finally saw that episode
    *points to self*

Guess who is not okay after it - for more than the fact Jack died
    *points to self again*

Damn .... that ep hit me a lot harder than expected :(
  • Guess who finally saw that episode
    *points to self*

Guess who is not okay after it - for more than the fact Jack died
    *points to self again*

Damn .... that ep hit me a lot harder than expected :(

((Hugs))  I saw your comments about it on WW.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • anyone watch the most recent episode? I just did. I was underwhelmed. I got really annoyed at Kevin and Randall ditching Toby at his bachelor party, especially at the beginning of it. 

It will be interesting to see how the Deja thing works out. 
  • kvruns said:
    anyone watch the most recent episode? I just did. I was underwhelmed. I got really annoyed at Kevin and Randall ditching Toby at his bachelor party, especially at the beginning of it. 

They annoyed me but I can also see the oddness of it.    Randall lives across the country from his sister and is attending the FBIL's bachelor party?

I think the actions of everyone were a bit far fetched but I really liked how everyone seemed to deal with their baggage.  

@kvruns,  if I was a betting person Deja and her mom would be given a place to stay in the new tenement building owned by Randall.   Deja's mom is going to screw up and during one of the visits Randall or beth will find Deja dealing with the results of her mom's actions.    I think that's going to be the cliffhanger at the end of this season since there are two episodes left.   Then this fall we'll see what happens when the love of Randall and Beth turns to outright anger at the system and they push harder to get Deja back.

• banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    anyone watch the most recent episode? I just did. I was underwhelmed. I got really annoyed at Kevin and Randall ditching Toby at his bachelor party, especially at the beginning of it. 

They annoyed me but I can also see the oddness of it.    Randall lives across the country from his sister and is attending the FBIL's bachelor party?

I think the actions of everyone were a bit far fetched but I really liked how everyone seemed to deal with their baggage.  

@kvruns,  if I was a betting person Deja and her mom would be given a place to stay in the new tenement building owned by Randall.   Deja's mom is going to screw up and during one of the visits Randall or beth will find Deja dealing with the results of her mom's actions.    I think that's going to be the cliffhanger at the end of this season since there are two episodes left.   Then this fall we'll see what happens when the love of Randall and Beth turns to outright anger at the system and they push harder to get Deja back.

There are only 2 episodes left????
  • banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

@kvrunsif I was a betting person Deja and her mom would be given a place to stay in the new tenement building owned by Randall.   Deja's mom is going to screw up and during one of the visits Randall or beth will find Deja dealing with the results of her mom's actions.    I think that's going to be the cliffhanger at the end of this season since there are two episodes left.   Then this fall we'll see what happens when the love of Randall and Beth turns to outright anger at the system and they push harder to get Deja back.

Ooooohhh, that's a nice call!  Definitely seems like something the show would do.

On another note, as a real estate investor myself, I eye-rolled SO HARD that they bought that building.  So many things about it are completely ridiculous.

First off, they would have had to pay cash.  Because no bank is going to give a loan to newbie investors on a dilapidated, under-performing apartment building.  This whole thing is going to be a huge, financial loss for them.  I get that it isn't about the money, per se.  But do they really have...I don't know...a half mil. (or more) lying around to "donate" to this lost cause?

If this were real life, they would be EATEN ALIVE.  They're going into it with this attitude of it being a charity.  Like it's going to be some puppies and rainbows s**t of spending a couple hundred grand to make wonderful, habitable apartments for all these poor, but good hard working people.  Who I guarantee you won't even pay them the nominal rent that is due.  Not because they're poor.  Because they're human.  And human beings have a tendency to take advantage of others.  Randall and Beth obviously aren't going to be evicting anybody.  At least not yet.  They haven't learned yet.  So people are going to be deadbeats. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I still hate Kevin.
  • @banana468 I think you are spot on!!!!!

Not only was I irritated with Kevin & Randall's behavior on the trip, but I was also Super Peeved at how he handled the argument with Beth. I was firmly on her side for this one.
  • kvruns said:

I think they needed something smaller after the previous 2 episodes.  In the end credits, I totally got the impression that Deja and Mom would move into the building.  I thought it showed them there, but maybe that was just my impressions.  

Randall and Kevin leaving seems to fit their personalities for me though.  They're all pretty involved in their own/family problems and don't seem to realize that other people have things going on too

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2018
    @banana468 I agree with your assessments about her and her mom likely moving into the building they own. And I also think some day Deja will end up as a permanent member of their family

@short+sassy I always assumed they paid cash for it and they have pretty deep pockets even with Randall not working for a while. Or maybe they got a loan from Kevin, he was there when they bought it.  I do agree that they have their rose colored glasses on and it will be interesting to see how much of that plays out or if it just becomes a background story that they own it. 
  • banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

@kvrunsif I was a betting person Deja and her mom would be given a place to stay in the new tenement building owned by Randall.   Deja's mom is going to screw up and during one of the visits Randall or beth will find Deja dealing with the results of her mom's actions.    I think that's going to be the cliffhanger at the end of this season since there are two episodes left.   Then this fall we'll see what happens when the love of Randall and Beth turns to outright anger at the system and they push harder to get Deja back.

Ooooohhh, that's a nice call!  Definitely seems like something the show would do.

On another note, as a real estate investor myself, I eye-rolled SO HARD that they bought that building.  So many things about it are completely ridiculous.

First off, they would have had to pay cash.  Because no bank is going to give a loan to newbie investors on a dilapidated, under-performing apartment building.  This whole thing is going to be a huge, financial loss for them.  I get that it isn't about the money, per se.  But do they really have...I don't know...a half mil. (or more) lying around to "donate" to this lost cause?

If this were real life, they would be EATEN ALIVE.  They're going into it with this attitude of it being a charity.  Like it's going to be some puppies and rainbows s**t of spending a couple hundred grand to make wonderful, habitable apartments for all these poor, but good hard working people.  Who I guarantee you won't even pay them the nominal rent that is due.  Not because they're poor.  Because they're human.  And human beings have a tendency to take advantage of others.  Randall and Beth obviously aren't going to be evicting anybody.  At least not yet.  They haven't learned yet.  So people are going to be deadbeats. 

I have to wonder if there's going to be a reality-sets-in episode in next season when this undertaking is actually taking over their marriage and becomes a serious issue for them where they have to decide whether or not they're doing this as some kind of charity.   You already saw scenes where Beth commented that Randall was doing this backwards. 

Randall wears his heart on his sleeve and is a smart man but he's leading with his heart and not his wallet.  In the first episode ever it sounded like Randall did well for himself if he bought that car in cash so I think the image that they're painting is that they have assets although clearly from a reality standpoint - not enough.

I do love this show and have to remind myself that it's about as realistic as six friends working in Manhattan who have time to sit for hours in a coffee shop every day.   It's still fiction even if they live in something painted as reality.

• I think they needed something smaller after the previous 2 episodes.  In the end credits, I totally got the impression that Deja and Mom would move into the building.  I thought it showed them there, but maybe that was just my impressions.  

Randall and Kevin leaving seems to fit their personalities for me though.  They're all pretty involved in their own/family problems and don't seem to realize that other people have things going on too
    Exactly, they're all pretty self absorbed at times.  My H is such a Randall; he can get so caught up in his own ish and forget other people have things too, and then he gets called out on it and feels terrible after and works really hard to balance and make it right.  Maybe that's why I forgive Randall more than Kevin LOL.

Must say though, I loved the maid scene when she counts the bottles and is surprised they're all there!

• I think they needed something smaller after the previous 2 episodes.  In the end credits, I totally got the impression that Deja and Mom would move into the building.  I thought it showed them there, but maybe that was just my impressions.  

Exactly, they're all pretty self absorbed at times.  My H is such a Randall; he can get so caught up in his own ish and forget other people have things too, and then he gets called out on it and feels terrible after and works really hard to balance and make it right.  Maybe that's why I forgive Randall more than Kevin LOL.

Must say though, I loved the maid scene when she counts the bottles and is surprised they're all there!
    Since you brought that up, when he is back in the room and doing sit ups aren't there still alcohol bottles? I thought he gave her the tip to get rid of them or did I misunderstand that whole part
  • Oh and presumably they were out pretty late on their Vegas adventure, so when Kevin calls Ron Howard isn't it probably pretty late at night (err early morning)???
  • kvruns said:
    Oh and presumably they were out pretty late on their Vegas adventure, so when Kevin calls Ron Howard isn't it probably pretty late at night (err early morning)???
    I figured it was the next day when they were leaving and alone. 
  • banana468 said:
    I have to wonder if there's going to be a reality-sets-in episode in next season when this undertaking is actually taking over their marriage and becomes a serious issue for them where they have to decide whether or not they're doing this as some kind of charity.   You already saw scenes where Beth commented that Randall was doing this backwards. 

Randall wears his heart on his sleeve and is a smart man but he's leading with his heart and not his wallet.  In the first episode ever it sounded like Randall did well for himself if he bought that car in cash so I think the image that they're painting is that they have assets although clearly from a reality standpoint - not enough.

I do love this show and have to remind myself that it's about as realistic as six friends working in Manhattan who have time to sit for hours in a coffee shop every day.   It's still fiction even if they live in something painted as reality.

I know, I know, lol!  It's just harder sometimes when tv show stories get too separated out from reality.

They sure did make it look easy on Friends to be young, single 20-somethings living in Manhattan and in fairly spacious apartments, lol.  Though a little known fact from the show is Monica's apartment was long time rent-controlled from when her grandma lived there.  Something like that.

@kvruns, I think, at best, the owning an apartment building is going to be more background.  I could see it being a tool for an occasional minor conflict between Randall and Beth, but they aren't going to color Randall's humanitarian effort with the ugliness of reality.  Not unless the show moves to HGTV, lol.  What a crazy crossover episode that could be, lmao! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    Oh and presumably they were out pretty late on their Vegas adventure, so when Kevin calls Ron Howard isn't it probably pretty late at night (err early morning)???
    Could be. In my mind they asked Toby to go for a walk sometime after the bachelor party ended so I was thinking it was all middle of the night/early AM
  • kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    Could be. In my mind they asked Toby to go for a walk sometime after the bachelor party ended so I was thinking it was all middle of the night/early AM
    Yeah, but it seemed to be after check out because that was when the house keeper counted the bottles and her tip.
  • Sometimes I get really confused when the show jumps around. Like right now I'm watching the most recent episode and it took me a bit to realize it was before she was ever placed with Randall and Beth. At first I thought it might be later on, as if she and her mom were back in an apt and her hair was long again. 

• OK why were they putting Deja and her mom on the couch and then all of a sudden Deja asks to go to her old room - I mean wouldn't that have been the first place to offer?  plus I assume they live in a big ass house so I'm surprised they wouldn't have more than 3 bedrooms.

i know some had speculated at Deja and her  mom would end up in the apartments Randall and Beth run. And then has they're sitting there eating/playing games you see the mom looking at them and I felt like you see the wheels turning in her head like maybe she should give them custody or some sort of arrangement like that.