Budget Weddings Forum

Having a hard time finding a venue...

I'm having a really difficult time finding a venue... I'm located near Houston and so far I've found 3 or 4 within my budget. I really want a small venue for a 50ish person wedding that's either very cheap for bare basics or all inclusive for under 6,000. And the ceremony and reception all at one location so we don't have to drive from one to the other. Outdoor ceremony, indoor reception, with an option to bring the ceremony indoors if it rains. I only want like 4 hours of event time (1 hour ceremony 2-3 hour reception with some food, cake, and drinks.) I've only been engaged for a few weeks but we really want to get married this December.

1st The one I like the look of the most only offers the very basics and I'd have to DIY everything else. Which is ok but I've tried 2-3 times to contact them with no response!

The second is barely within my budget but it includes catering, some decorations, some vendors, etc. The only things that won't be included are basically attire, extra decorations, alcohol, photography, and invitations... The pictures just didn't wow me a lot even though its indoor/outdoor and rather small it's just kinda plain I guess.

The third is basically 2/3rds the price of the second so well within my budget and is very inclusive basically everything included except attire. But I don't like the decorations they offer (they do allow you a price break if you don't want certain things in the package) and the reception area is a ballroom which i don't like because i don't really want any dancing, its just too big and fancy for me, the whole thing is indoors and its in a shopping center type thing so the outside is ugly. Ugh.

I emailed the 4th one today asking for info because basically all the website says is that its an indoor/outdoor venue with wedding packages but no info or pricing was available. Pictures were nice though.

Im really hoping the second venue just wows the pants off of me during the tour. 2 weeks and I'm already getting stressed with wedding planning lol.

Re: Having a hard time finding a venue...

• I'm having a really difficult time finding a venue... I'm located near Houston and so far I've found 3 or 4 within my budget. I really want a small venue for a 50ish person wedding that's either very cheap for bare basics or all inclusive for under 6,000. And the ceremony and reception all at one location so we don't have to drive from one to the other. Outdoor ceremony, indoor reception, with an option to bring the ceremony indoors if it rains. I only want like 4 hours of event time (1 hour ceremony 2-3 hour reception with some food, cake, and drinks.) I've only been engaged for a few weeks but we really want to get married this December.

1st The one I like the look of the most only offers the very basics and I'd have to DIY everything else. Which is ok but I've tried 2-3 times to contact them with no response!

The second is barely within my budget but it includes catering, some decorations, some vendors, etc. The only things that won't be included are basically attire, extra decorations, alcohol, photography, and invitations... The pictures just didn't wow me a lot even though its indoor/outdoor and rather small it's just kinda plain I guess.

The third is basically 2/3rds the price of the second so well within my budget and is very inclusive basically everything included except attire. But I don't like the decorations they offer (they do allow you a price break if you don't want certain things in the package) and the reception area is a ballroom which i don't like because i don't really want any dancing, its just too big and fancy for me, the whole thing is indoors and its in a shopping center type thing so the outside is ugly. Ugh.

I emailed the 4th one today asking for info because basically all the website says is that its an indoor/outdoor venue with wedding packages but no info or pricing was available. Pictures were nice though.

Im really hoping the second venue just wows the pants off of me during the tour. 2 weeks and I'm already getting stressed with wedding planning lol.
    Finding the venue was one of the most stressful things for me. I found 90% of venues didn’t list pricing online, then when I would email them a list of questions they would just email back a generic pdf. It was so frustrating.

Good luck with your tours and fingers crossed you find something you love. 
  • Have you considered a restaurant? I'm not sure how many in your area would have a nice outdoor space for a ceremony, but I'm sure there's plenty of nice restaurants that can do a reception dinner for 50.

Restaurants can be a great option, especially for a smaller guest list.

Also, have you looked at any hotels?  Bigger hotels will have all kinds of different sized rooms available for events.  Even smaller, boutique hotels usually have a couple event-type rooms.  Many of those type of rooms will seem a bit plain and utilitarian at first glance, but they really warm up with decorations.  And some of them are beautiful/have great views/etc. even in their own right.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you considered a restaurant? I'm not sure how many in your area would have a nice outdoor space for a ceremony, but I'm sure there's plenty of nice restaurants that can do a reception dinner for 50.

Restaurants can be a great option, especially for a smaller guest list.

Also, have you looked at any hotels?  Bigger hotels will have all kinds of different sized rooms available for events.  Even smaller, boutique hotels usually have a couple event-type rooms.  Many of those type of rooms will seem a bit plain and utilitarian at first glance, but they really warm up with decorations.  And some of them are beautiful/have great views/etc. even in their own right.

These were my first two thoughts as well. The plus side of a hotel is that guests (and you & your FI!) can stay in the same location, which tends to make things easier for a lot of people. They can sometimes be a little more flexible than other venues as well, plus they're used to hosting groups, have enough seating & restrooms and usually have event staff.
  • For what you want (outdoor ceremony w/ indoor rain plan, indoor cake&punch/non-meal time reception for 50 guests, under $6,000), I would look into bed and breakfasts that accommodate weddings.

I'm not familiar with Houston, but with a quick google, I found a few both in Houston and outside the city:

- Robin's Nest B&B
    - Oakwind (An Intimate Wedding pkg)
    - Heather's Glen
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2018
    We found our best bargain at a Golf and Country Club.  They were cheaper than the local hotels in the Washington, DC area, and had a lovely room.  We had a brunch reception, which saved a lot of money.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree with trying favourite restaurants, bed and breakfast places, hotels and country clubs. A brunch, lunch or cake and punch reception would likely decrease the cost and free up venue space. 
  • edited March 2018
    Another thought if you go the hotel route - if you also secure a room block, the hotel may be willing to negotiate more on the event cost. Typically the more you’re able to bundle with a single vendor the greater your savings will be.

Also, if everything takes place at a single location, you eliminate transportation and associated costs. 

Happy planning!
  • I agree with the suggestions to try a restaurant! If you wanted the ceremony outdoors, maybe you could find one with a patio? (Granted, I don't know what the weather is like in December in Houston).
  • First DIY =/= cost savings!!!  Unless you already own the items you're DIY, the nickels and dimes usually add up to the point of "you really didn't save a penny and probably spent double or more to just have a professional do it for you"...  

Wedding Spot has a TON of beautiful venues listed for under $5000 all-inclusive for 50 guests in the Houston area (I just did a Google "Houston Conference Center all-inclusive under $6000").  You could use the most basic of Lion's Club halls, it's all in what you bring for energy to the event that will make the difference.  People ultimately remember how great of a time they had and if they were full after eating more than how pretty a venue was or wasn't.