Wedding Etiquette Forum

Housewarming etiquette

After moving, I'd like to host my friends and family for a party in my new place. Is it appropriate to call that a housewarming party, or does that imply a gift-giving event someone else must throw? Would it be more appropriate to call it an open house or just a party?
"Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse

Re: Housewarming etiquette

• Regardless of what you call it, most polite people coming to your new house for the first time will bring something--most likely a bottle of wine or a plant, something along those lines. 
  • In my circle, people throw their own housewarming parties and no one considers it a gift grab. I think it's fine to label it as that. Same rules of hosting apply, obviously - meal during meal time/snacks during non-meal and all that.

Same. Hosts always provide all the food and drink, but most people bring a hosuewarming gift (and let's be honest in my circle that's usually a nice bottle of wine or bourbon and a card). 
  • Housewarming parties usually mean that people bring alcohol as gifts. We had a housewarming when we moved into our house and people brought enough alcohol that we were good for about a year. Some people brought plants or cuttings for our garden too, but they were really good friends. I've never been to a housewarming with big gifts. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Regardless of what it’s called, guests bring a bottle of wine or liquor to a housewarming party in my circle.
    If the host is someone I’m very close with, I’ll also include a gift card to Crate&Barrel or Pier 1.
  • Jen4948 said:
    You can call it a housewarming party. Housewarmings are one of the few events honorees are allowed to throw for themselves.

I think the honoree is technically the house? 

Regardless, it's totally fine. I'd think it was pretty weird if a friend was like, "hey can I throw you a housewarming party in your house?" I don't think it's the kind of thing other people throw at all
  • I think calling it a housewarming party or open house is fine.  As a guest, I would consider it the same thing.  It's totally fine and makes perfect sense for homeowners to throw this type of party for themselves.  It technically isn't a gift giving event but, as others have said, most guests will bring a little something.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a big housewarming party when we bought our house (rented tents, tables, and chairs as we had over 40 people say they were coming). We served tons of food and most people brought us beer and wine that was consumed during the party. Closer friends and family brought us stuff like candles, gift cards, and picture frames. We sent thank you cards to everyone who brought gifts. It's common to do that in our circle and no one thinks of it as a gift grab. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We had a housewarming as well.

Some people may ask about gifts, and if you don't need anything you can just tell them no. Often people will bring something anyways. We got a few bottles of wine, and one person gave us a shovel {we went from apt to house and it was actually the first snowfall of the year on that day lmao}

The wine we got was offered at the party, but that's not really necessary for all. We already had other drinks and snacks. Ours was between meals, so we opted for snacks.
  • ahoyweddingahoywedding member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2018
    Samesies as everyone else. You're totally fine throwing a housewarming party for yourselves, although I get why it does feel a little weird. It's like "hey, come check out this huge awesome thing we just bought!" We had our housewarming double as a Halloween party so it didn't feel like so show-off-y.

But if you fully host the party you're good! Guests may bring small gifts, but it's generally not thought of as required.

(edit: spelling) 
  • Ok, so slight offshoot, but do you guys send thank you notes for housewarming gifts? My thought is that if the gift is meant to be used at the party like a bottle of wine then no, but if it’s something for the home itself like a decorative item or a bar set then yes. But where does that leave the bottles of wine that weren’t opened and used at the party? Any hard and fast rules here?
  • Ok, so slight offshoot, but do you guys send thank you notes for housewarming gifts? My thought is that if the gift is meant to be used at the party like a bottle of wine then no, but if it’s something for the home itself like a decorative item or a bar set then yes. But where does that leave the bottles of wine that weren’t opened and used at the party? Any hard and fast rules here?
    A hostess gift IS a thank you gift (for hosting). So writing a thank you for a thank you is unnecessary.

A housewarming gift (like a bar set or a piece of art) isn’t what I would consider a hostess gift. It’s a gift for the home. For that I would write a thank you note.  
    *********************************************************************************

None of the alcohol that we were given at our housewarming was consumed that day, we had purchased enough for the party ourselves. 

We have wine racks and a cabinet for alcohol. We also have a beer fridge. 
    Notes; no
    We verbally thanked people, and if not at that time we would msg them later. Like if they weren't able to stay or we weren't able to thank them at the time
    I'm of the mindset that gift = thank-you note, with the exception of a hostess gift where that gift is essentially a thank you for you hosting someone. When in doubt, writing a thank you note is never rude. 
  • Thanks, all. In that case, I will call it a housewarming party. Thanks for confirming.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse