Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Help with loud music

Hi,

My husband has tinnitus and can only tolerate loud music for a limited time.  Our daughter is getting married and we have hired a very large band for the reception.  Can anyone suggest ear plugs that will dull the band while still allowing him to hear conversation?  I would like to find something that is not seen in pictures.

I appreciate any help.  If this is the wrong board to post this question on, please let me know.

Thanks.

Answers

• Honestly, I could not initially fathom an ear plug that filtered noise while allowing conversation.  However.....
    https://www.amazon.com/noise-filtering-ear-plugs/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:noise filtering ear plugs

• Hi,

My husband has tinnitus and can only tolerate loud music for a limited time.  Our daughter is getting married and we have hired a very large band for the reception.  Can anyone suggest ear plugs that will dull the band while still allowing him to hear conversation?  I would like to find something that is not seen in pictures.

I appreciate any help.  If this is the wrong board to post this question on, please let me know.

Thanks.
    I would recommend making an appointment with a local hearing clinic. They would probably have the ability to make custom ones or recommend good ones. 
  • I’ve found the basic foam ones to be great for taking the edge off loud music while still allowing you to carry conversation. I think they make some different colors that might not be too noticeable in pictures, or maybe the photographer can edit them out.
  • I’ve found the basic foam ones to be great for taking the edge off loud music while still allowing you to carry conversation. I think they make some different colors that might not be too noticeable in pictures, or maybe the photographer can edit them out.
    My son uses earplugs as work to prevent distracting noise.  (He has ADD.)  One day one of those foam ones got stuck in his ear canal, and he had to go to the emergency room to have it removed.  He said it was excruciatingly painful.  Since then he has bought more expensive plugs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Loud noise cancelling while allowing conversation is definitely a thing. I don't have specific recommendations, but I would recommend googling and researching those. I have never used earplugs, only earmuffs like that, and I expect he doesn't want to wear big earmuffs at her wedding. 

I would specifically look into shooting ear plugs/muffs, at least to find search terms to use and get an idea what's out there. These are popular in shooting circles to block out the loud noise of gun shots while allowing quieter sounds through. 
  • ernursej said:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    I would recommend making an appointment with a local hearing clinic. They would probably have the ability to make custom ones or recommend good ones. 
    Absolutely THIS!!!!  What he's going to want to get is a pair of what are referred to as Musician's Earplugs.  They're custom molded and designed to do exactly this in filtering the sound appropriately (Musicians on stage still need to hear clear and distinct sound, but not amplified) while looking rather natural.  Most musicians wear these on stage now to protect their hearing and you'd never know it.  They're a great investment for him because then he can go to things he previously couldn't (like maybe go to a concert) because of the tinnitus depending on the type and volume he's dealing with. 

(Crazy side note - My early training was with the guy who literally wrote the book on the subject of Tinnitus LOL)
  • My brother lives with tinnitus for more than 15 years. I doubt if you can cure it...