Registry and Gift Forum

Date Night Shower

Is it appropriate to write on a wedding shower invitation that instead of gifts we are asking guests to bring date night idea gifts; ex. hotel gift cards, dinner and a movie, tickets to an event ect.?
If so how would we write that? Whats the correct wording?

Best Answers

Answers

• @ernurse, I agree with the premise of your post.  A date night basket as you describe is an awesome idea because there is no deadline or specific date attached to it.  It simply requires a fairly "intimate" knowledge of the couple in order to create a basket that aligns to the tastes of the recipient.

I just wanted to point out that ideas requiring the gifting of time sensitive or specific dates would be problematic.  Many of the ideas are also "gift cardy" in nature, which is simply not to my liking. 

Finally, in the few themed showers with which I am familiar, no other wording is necessary other than the "title" of the shower theme, as in "Please join us for a "Stock the Bar" shower honoring Jack and Jill".  I think an invitation is over thought or problematic when a potential need for a "description" is required.  OP even states that the idea is "in lieu of gifts" which might merely be poor wording on her part.

To answer OP's question, I think the only wording that would be appropriate is "Please join us for a "Date Night" shower honoring Jack and Jill."  Please bring your best date night ideas could imply you literally want written ideas.  Please come with your best date night gifts sounds "off" to me. 

I love making gift baskets for close friends and would actually enjoy putting together a basket with cards, poker chips, and even a card table with chairs.  It's not the money behind the gift per se.  The basic premise sounds fine but less clear than other themed showers.  I think I am struggling a bit because it is not a theme I see as appropriate as others for a wedding shower.
  • I think themed showers are fine, but themes that call for gift cards aren't good for showers.
  • MobKaz said:
    @ernurse, I agree with the premise of your post.  A date night basket as you describe is an awesome idea because there is no deadline or specific date attached to it.  It simply requires a fairly "intimate" knowledge of the couple in order to create a basket that aligns to the tastes of the recipient.

I just wanted to point out that ideas requiring the gifting of time sensitive or specific dates would be problematic.  Many of the ideas are also "gift cardy" in nature, which is simply not to my liking. 

Finally, in the few themed showers with which I am familiar, no other wording is necessary other than the "title" of the shower theme, as in "Please join us for a "Stock the Bar" shower honoring Jack and Jill".  I think an invitation is over thought or problematic when a potential need for a "description" is required.  OP even states that the idea is "in lieu of gifts" which might merely be poor wording on her part.

To answer OP's question, I think the only wording that would be appropriate is "Please join us for a "Date Night" shower honoring Jack and Jill."  Please bring your best date night ideas could imply you literally want written ideas.  Please come with your best date night gifts sounds "off" to me. 

I love making gift baskets for close friends and would actually enjoy putting together a basket with cards, poker chips, and even a card table with chairs.  It's not the money behind the gift per se.  The basic premise sounds fine but less clear than other themed showers.  I think I am struggling a bit because it is not a theme I see as appropriate as others for a wedding shower.
    Agree with everything you have said. The date night basket was for a date night shower but the group was small 8 or 10 people and everyone was on board with the idea. I think the couple got several great baskets. 

I wouldnt suggest this this type of shower for the normal crowd. The easiest to communicate (wine, stock the bar, kitchen essentials) are best. I think date night is for those groups that regularly do theme type showers. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Is it appropriate to write on a wedding shower invitation that instead of gifts we are asking guests to bring date night idea gifts; ex. hotel gift cards, dinner and a movie, tickets to an event ect.?
    If so how would we write that? Whats the correct wording?
    Is the bride registered at any stores?  My own shower was years ago, but I remember preferring the gifts I’d registered for...you obviously know the bride/couple better than I do, but I’d stick with the registry.

As far as theme showers I’m good with kitchen-themed, stock the bar...I definitely wouldn’t write down or suggest to guests that they purchase gift cards or event tickets.
  • I think if you want to go this route it needs to be for things and not gift cards.

-Bottles of wine / alcohol
    -Nicer plates / glasses 
    -Possibly even a nicer piece of lingerie

But asking for items that are gift cards to restaurants is inappropriate IMO.  

As someone who has been married for 10 years I can tell you I'm still using wedding items I received at showers like my food processors / blenders and cookware.  A gift card to a restaurant is nice but I can tell you I wouldn't give it as a shower gift.