Wedding Etiquette Forum

Late thank you cards due to cancer diagnosis

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask what you guys thought. I got married last March and then was diagnosed w cancer in April which had delayed our thank you notes, now a year after wedding. I think about 90% of our guests know what’s going on with us. We did buy the cards but are unsure if we should send them out. Do you guys think we should sent them with a little note says “Sorry so late, sometimes life gets in the way” or something like that. Or should we just not bother? Thanks!

Re: Late thank you cards due to cancer diagnosis

• Hi everyone! I wanted to ask what you guys thought. I got married last March and then was diagnosed w cancer in April which had delayed our thank you notes, now a year after wedding. I think about 90% of our guests know what’s going on with us. We did buy the cards but are unsure if we should send them out. Do you guys think we should sent them with a little note says “Sorry so late, sometimes life gets in the way” or something like that. Or should we just not bother? Thanks!
    I would send the notes, but don't mention them being delayed.  
  • I'm sorry about your cancer diagnosis and wish you the best.

I'd go ahead and send the cards.
  • A sincere Thank You is always welcome - go ahead and send!  Your wording choice is kind of important in this regard, just as it would be if you were sending them a week after your wedding.  Sincere!  I'd also say go ahead and leave the being late factor out.  
  • It is better to send a thank you note late than not send it at all. But I don't recommend saying anything about a delay or the reason for said delay. 

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Best wishes.
  • Just send your thank you notes now. No need to mention any excuse. 
  • Hi everyone! I wanted to ask what you guys thought. I got married last March and then was diagnosed w cancer in April which had delayed our thank you notes, now a year after wedding. I think about 90% of our guests know what’s going on with us. We did buy the cards but are unsure if we should send them out. Do you guys think we should sent them with a little note says “Sorry so late, sometimes life gets in the way” or something like that. Or should we just not bother? Thanks!
    Always send the thank you even if late. I’m in the camp of saying “Sorry for the late thank you”. Apologies are always appreciated. You don’t have to say why late but it acknowledges that you knew they should have been sent sooner. 
  • Just send them now - I'd rather a late TY note than a lack of one!
  • You should send the cards. Some of your guests may be worried you didn't receive their gifts. Under the circumstances, I'm sure they will understand the cards being so late. 
    I hope you are doing well with your treatments.

• @CMGragain, I was worried about you. I'm sorry about your bad news. 

• @CMGragain, I was worried about you. I'm sorry about your bad news. 
    I definitely noticed the absence as well.  I hope being back at home provides more comfort for you, @CMGragain.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Definitely still send the notes, no need to mention any excuses.
    Hope you’re doing better now!
  • I was noticing your absence too @CMGragain. Hope being hope helps.

Send the thank you notes. Best of luck with your treatment. 
  • Better late than never. Of course it's late, but your guests know what's been going on with you. I think it's find to acknowledge the delay, but the majority of the card should be focused on thanking the giver for the gift - not on why the card is late. 

Sending Ts and Ps for recovery. 
    *********************************************************************************

• <3  Praying for you & your family, @CMGragain
  • I'm sorry to hear this @CMGragain

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• OP I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wish you all the best!

@CMGragain I'm sorry to hear your prognosis. Enjoy the time you have.