Wedding Woes

Another day, another sick kid

6let woke me up at 6:15 to let me know he threw up.  Ugh. The ILs are coming to take us to lunch.  They're going to be pissed he and I will be staying home.  He's bummed he'll miss that and soccer practice today.  I'm a little glad he didn't make a mess and I don't have to deal with the ILs and nobody has to go to a rainy soccer practice.

Re: Another day, another sick kid

• Awww, sorry for sick 6let! I hope it doesn't stick around!

It's amazing to me how much a clean house impacts the rest of me. When the house is totally clean, I feel so much better. I get a lot of other shit done, I make an effort to keep it clean.

This morning I drug my ass out of bed at 5:30 to work out. I'd gotten in a pretty good habit of morning workouts but haven't done it in months. I gotta get back in this habit since it makes me feel so much better and then we're not eating dinner at like 8:00.

Random question - do you guys eat at the table every night with your SO/kids?

H is insistent on it. He'll even turn off the TV if it's on in the other room. I'm surprised at the number of people who think it's weird.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We eat dinner at the table every night.  Sometimes it's rushed and crazy, but we do.  If there's something special on tv we will picnic though.
  • @6fsn, aww sorry to hear that.  
    @mrsconn23, yes a clean house most def makes me feel better.  Ok, house is clean? I deserve the next 7 hours of TV watching.
    @ShesSoCold, growing up we always had sit down/"no t.v. on" dinners.  Sometimes when I cook, H and I will bring it to the dining room table.  But lately...we've just been heading back to the bedroom to eat and watch TV. Now that you bring it up, we really should go back to dining room dinners.

It's amazing to me how much a clean house impacts the rest of me. When the house is totally clean, I feel so much better. I get a lot of other shit done, I make an effort to keep it clean.

This morning I drug my ass out of bed at 5:30 to work out. I'd gotten in a pretty good habit of morning workouts but haven't done it in months. I gotta get back in this habit since it makes me feel so much better and then we're not eating dinner at like 8:00.

H is insistent on it. He'll even turn off the TV if it's on in the other room. I'm surprised at the number of people who think it's weird.

I wouldn't know, lol.

Growing up we did sometimes/fairly often, but not every night.  My H and I don't have kids.  We also don't even have a dining room table, lol.  So that is a "no, not at all" on this end!  But, when we go out to dinner, there isn't any cell phone usage unless we are expecting an important call.

Not much going on for me today.  Yesterday, I got a nice surprise!  Sometimes I peruse the "etc." and "part-time" sections of Craig's List.  A few months ago, I found an ad to be in a paid set of surveys being conducted by a university.  It was three surveys, but they were "stair steps".  At each "step", you may or may not be invited to the next one.

The first two paid a $10 Amazon gift card, each.  The third one was a $40 Amazon gift card.  I was already invited to and completed the first two.  And already spent my $20 at Amazon, lol.  Yesterday, I got the invite for the "big kahuna" $40 one.  Woo hoo!  I already filled out the survey and the code for that one should be coming in a couple weeks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ShesSoCold this is a huge thing we're trying to work on as a family.  DS definitely eats better when we're all together at the table, and it just feels better as a whole, but with H's work (HVAC so no set schedule) it can be really challenging on nights where he's really late or isn't home at all for me to get home, get dinner done, and eat at the table with DS. 
  • We eat dinner at the table every night, although the TV is on and we can see it from the kitchen. I imagine as baby B gets older I might turn it off but for now the distraction is good for him sometimes. At my old house when I lived alone I didn't have a kitchen table for a long time. I'd usually just eat in my lap on the couch or use a wooden TV tray table. 

I'm not ready for kid puke. I can handle poop a whole lot better than the puke smell, especially over night/morning. 
  • also, @shessocold, wtg on the morning workouts.  I used to hate them. Could never get up to do them but since surgery have been pretty good about it. I know I can't do night time workouts anymore. It's my only hope!
    @short+sassy, I could easily EASILY spend that g.c. 

• @ShesSoCold, oh!  I also wanted to chime in on another dining "ritual" I had as a kid.  It DID involve the tv during dinner, but is one of my fondest memories.  When my sister and I were in elementary school, my mom worked p/t at a bank and our dad was an electrician.  Mom got home a few hours before dad and always made dinner.  Except on Fridays.  She worked late on Fridays and dad was in charge of dinner.

My sister and I had a lot of time during the week with just us and mom.  But Friday night was really the only time we got to spend with just dad.  He always made Top Ramen with hot dogs in it.  Followed by popcorn.  And we all ate dinner together, in front of the tv, while we watched the Dukes of Hazard.  It may not have been the most nutritious meal, lol.  And it may not have been the most educational use of our time, lol.  But I wouldn't trade those memories for the world :).   

Wedding Countdown Ticker

We do. We are incredibly lucky with our schedules that either someone is home to cook, or have something ready that is easy to heat up (stew, chili, soup). 

@6fsn - There's something going around up here too. It's brutal. 

@levioosa - Congrats on the engagement! I saw it yesterday but it was super busy and I could only read not respond. 

• @6fsn poor 6let :( hopefully it's a short bug

@mrsconn23 whooo! dinner alone! :) Something about a made bed is just so comforting. My teenaged self would be shocked at that fact though lol

@ShesSoCold since there's just M and I - unless it's a big meal, like tacos or a roast - we just sit at the couch. It's a task that is becoming harder, so we'll likely be moving to the table to eat soon.
    We have agreed that meal time will be at the table once Kitten is born. Create habits, etc.
    We both grew up eating at the table - M's parents would often turn off the TV but mine left it on, but had volume down - so it depends on what you're use to.
    Tbh I was often put with my back to to TV for the most if it was on because I would just watch and not eat.

I've got my OB appt today, and I'm so glad. I was having weird pains last night and similar today. I've had a couple Braxton Hicks, but it's not same as those. Just uncomfortable belly weight {as if Kitten is sitting really low} and pressure on my hips.
    Probably normal but not sure, so I'm glad I'm seeing her today to figure it out.

I swear, some days I just feel like it's one issue after another *sigh*

Seeing my mum for dinner tonight also, which excites me because we haven't really spent much time together in awhile ....
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OMG now my husband says he's not feeling well, but is trying to push through.  UGH!!!!!  He's not even the one cleaning things up!!!
  • 6 - Sorry for the pukey kid!  Hope this is the last time for a long time!  At least you get to skip lunch and practice today!

SSC - Growing up, we always ate at the table together.  When we were really little, it was no TV.  As we were older, the evening news would be on.  But the TV was far off as our dining room/living room was one big room.  I told H was DD comes along that I wanted to start eating at the table as a family.  We haven't really done that yet, but I will bring it up again since DD is eating the same foods as us now.  Typically we eat in the family room while watching TV, unless we are having a special dinner or an extra messy one.  Special Dinners are TVless in the dining room, while messy dinners on in the kitchen with the TV on.

Last night was good.  DD was in such a good mood the remainder of the day.  H made a delicious dinner of stuffed pork chops and mashed potatoes.  I got all the dishes done this morning and a few other small things.  I felt very accomplished!  Not sure what is up for tonight.

• edited March 2018

S&S that's sweet!! ETA - that reminds me of something we used to do with my dad - we never had the every other weekend with dad kind of thing, but my brother, sister and I were HUGE WWF fans as kids. Every month, we'd go to Dad's and he'd buy the pay per view and we'd order pizzas. It was fun.

I don't ever recall eating "as a family" as a kid. I'm pretty sure we always ate whatever we made for ourselves in the TV room. H's dad's family was the same way so I think that's why it's important to him, even with just the two of us.

Pam, isn't it so nice once it's done though? I feel like a person in a commercial - all happy and refreshed and skipping to work (okay maybe not that far). I always thought those people were bullshit and/or aliens. Now I'm one of 'em.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • S&S that's sweet!! ETA - that reminds me of something we used to do with my dad - we never had the every other weekend with dad kind of thing, but my brother, sister and I were HUGE WWF fans as kids. Every month, we'd go to Dad's and he'd buy the pay per view and we'd order pizzas. It was fun.

I don't ever recall eating "as a family" as a kid. I'm pretty sure we always ate whatever we made for ourselves in the TV room. H's dad's family was the same way so I think that's why it's important to him, even with just the two of us.

Pam, isn't it so nice once it's done though? I feel like a person in a commercial - all happy and refreshed and skipping to work (okay maybe not that far). I always thought those people were bullshit and/or aliens. Now I'm one of 'em.

I've always assumed there must be hallucinogenics in that "fresh pine scent", lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S&S that's sweet!! ETA - that reminds me of something we used to do with my dad - we never had the every other weekend with dad kind of thing, but my brother, sister and I were HUGE WWF fans as kids. Every month, we'd go to Dad's and he'd buy the pay per view and we'd order pizzas. It was fun.

We always tried to when we were all home together. We would use it as a "check in" time. It's a fond memory I have and it's something that I insist on even though my son is really young still. We all talk about what we did during the day and eat. It's nice. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    It's Phone-pacalypse at work.  We have new phones and everyone is losing their damn minds.  I also got my stand up desk attachment.  I think I'm going to really like it.  It's nice just to not be sitting down at the computer all day.

Other than that, SSDD.

Hahaha.  They changed the phone system at my work almost a year ago.  Last month I FINALLY set up the voice mail.  To be fair, there was some screw up on their end.  So, way back when, I couldn't figure out why the instructions to set it up weren't working and I didn't bother pursuing it until recently.  My work phone calls are few and far between and it wasn't a priority for me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    It's Phone-pacalypse at work.  We have new phones and everyone is losing their damn minds.  I also got my stand up desk attachment.  I think I'm going to really like it.  It's nice just to not be sitting down at the computer all day.

Other than that, SSDD.
    I feel you on phone drama.
    Our office is guinea pigs for phone testing, but the only downside is that the damn things wouldn't work like a normal damn phone.
  • Random question - do you guys eat at the table every night with your SO/kids?

Yes, most nights.  I meal plan and cook almost every night.  We rarely eat out or order in on weeknights.  DH and I both grew up this way. 

We have a tri-level house and can see the TV from the table, and it's usually on while we eat.  We make DefConn eat with his back to the TV or else he'd be even slower than he is about eating.  We rarely watch it while eating though. We're usually talking. 
  • So I just discovered the $10 and under with free shipping on Amazon.  This is life-changing.  ;) Also, it's a time suck. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    So I just discovered the $10 and under with free shipping on Amazon.  This is life-changing.  ;) Also, it's a time suck. 
    *shakes fist* damn you Amazon
  • Pam, isn't it so nice once it's done though? I feel like a person in a commercial - all happy and refreshed and skipping to work (okay maybe not that far). I always thought those people were bullshit and/or aliens. Now I'm one of 'em.

Yes, I honestly feel great after it.  I also work on my total gym for 15 minutes after the treadmill, and my muscles aren't hurting as much like they were before - so I know I have to switch exercises and use new muscles to reboot -  but I don't wanna because I'm liking this routine as is.

• mrsconn23 said:
    So I just discovered the $10 and under with free shipping on Amazon.  This is life-changing.  ;) Also, it's a time suck. 
    tell me more. a deal site I follow on FB said something about an under $10 home goods section but didn't say anything about free shipping
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2018
    kvruns said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    tell me more. a deal site I follow on FB said something about an under $10 home goods section but didn't say anything about free shipping
    https://www.amazon.com/Low-Price-With-Free-Shipping/bbp/bb/ref=bbp_bb_01a411_tr_w_757550?category=/

My only complaint is no kids section, but I bet it would just be too many things. 
  • VarunaTT said:

Other than that, SSDD.

We got new phones nine months ago and I hear screaming about them stilldaily. 
  • I'm sorry @6fsn.   I loathe the sick kiddo but at least Chiquita has better aim than her younger brother.   There's something about making that step.

DH and I need to talk about summer plans.   I think Chiquita officially may be heading into the 'too old to use the same camp as little brother' age.   Her two best friends may be looking into other options and I want her with more kids her own age rather than ones younger than her.  This will be the first year that Chiquito will be in the camp too and that makes things trickier since I'd prefer they not hang out with each other ALL day or familiarity will breed contempt.

I'm now looking into other options and some are are affordable (the town) but the stupid camp ends at 5 while I'm working.   The other option is to look into other specialty camps which are fun but also $$.  So that gets into an issue of how much do we want to spend.  

To help alleviate some cost we're looking at taking a vacation - so now where to?  We may go with something easy like the Cape / MV / Nantucket - and now just need to actually plan.  DH avoids plans like Trump avoids releasing his taxes so now I need to bait with bourbon and Oreos and see what we can come up with tonight. 
  • I'm cranky today. For no good reason besides it's raining and I feel like a good 60% of the work I do is pointless. 
  • I'm cranky today. For no good reason besides it's raining and I feel like a good 60% of the work I do is pointless. 
    Seems legit reasoning to me.
    <3