Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

disposable camera/pocket photo printer for wedding day

Hi Everyone!

We are having a destination family elopement. We have hired the services of a company that will perform our ceremony, provide some flowers, and photograph a few hours of us getting ready/first look/ceremony/ post-ceremony photos. Since we are so small, we are having a family dinner at a nice restaurant. No proper reception, no dancing, etc., etc. We thought it would be silly for a photographer to be around at that time because we are such a small group. 

I had two ideas to still capture the evening:
1- we give everyone disposable cameras the morning of the wedding to help us capture the day.
2 - get a mini pocket photo printer, like Polaroid or Fuji to print photos taken with anyone's phone of the ceremony, during the dinner, etc. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with either of these ideas? Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated! 

Re: disposable camera/pocket photo printer for wedding day

• Hi Everyone!

We are having a destination family elopement. We have hired the services of a company that will perform our ceremony, provide some flowers, and photograph a few hours of us getting ready/first look/ceremony/ post-ceremony photos. Since we are so small, we are having a family dinner at a nice restaurant. No proper reception, no dancing, etc., etc. We thought it would be silly for a photographer to be around at that time because we are such a small group. 

1- we give everyone disposable cameras the morning of the wedding to help us capture the day.
    2 - get a mini pocket photo printer, like Polaroid or Fuji to print photos taken with anyone's phone of the ceremony, during the dinner, etc. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with either of these ideas? Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated! 
    I would think option 2 would be better. Disposable cameras seem easy to misplace and they're expensive to develop, which stinks if you don't get any good shots once developed. 

Why not just have the guests upload their photos to a group album (Amazon and Google for example can do shared albums) and you can print from there? I guess I don't get why they would need to be printed THEN.

• MRDCle said:
    Hi Everyone!

I would think option 2 would be better. Disposable cameras seem easy to misplace and they're expensive to develop, which stinks if you don't get any good shots once developed. 

Why not just have the guests upload their photos to a group album (Amazon and Google for example can do shared albums) and you can print from there? I guess I don't get why they would need to be printed THEN.

Hi MRDCLe! Thanks for your reply - I guess I just thought it would be a fun and silly interactive thing to do, especially if conversation gets dull being a small group. Also, I thought it would be kind of a nice take away if the people wanted to have a photo they could keep besides anything they took with their phones and whatever favor we give them. 
    The album is a good idea to consider too! Maybe we will look into adding that as well. 
  • Just a correction.  You are not having a "destination family elopement".  There is no such thing.  You are having a small destination wedding.  Elopements are when the couple gets married alone, without guests, and does not announce it until after the ceremony.
    There is nothing wrong with your plans.  You are just using the wrong words to describe them.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    It would make sense to send your guests a website link that they can use to upload photos after the wedding.

But I don't think you should put out a device for them to be uploading photos to during your reception. If you do, you run the risk that your guests will be spending their time on line waiting to use the device, and uploading, rather than eating, dancing, or otherwise enjoying themselves. I don't imagine uploading several photos at a time is a speedy business.
  • Love this kind of photo cameras. They're really convenient especially when you are going on vacation and you want to create instant moments. The only thing you should be careful about is to make sure you get a good idea of how they work and maybe find a good guide on it.
  • Welcome to the knot! This post is over three years old - known as a Zombie thread. Please check dates before commenting on old threads. Usually threads are considered Zombie if they haven't been commented on in over six months. If it is something you are interested in discussing, start a new thread.